1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to drop Lukaku for Martial/Rashford?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Classical Mechanic, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 1, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Not only due to form, more to try using a more explosive and mobile forward to lead the attack.

Thoughts?
  2. Feb 1, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

For Martial I wouldn't mind. Rashford is not better than Lukaku
  3. Feb 1, 2018

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

Not in my opinion. Lukaku is our CF for the next few years. You don't drop him, you find a system that works for him. Also not every game will be away against Spurs in which our new star player is still finding his feet.
  4. Feb 1, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    For yesterday's game I would have dropped Lukaku. I would've added Herrera to the midfield and put Sanchez as #9.
  5. Feb 1, 2018

It isn't really a question of who is better, more of how the team will function with a different type of forward leading the line.
  6. Feb 1, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    I thought our midfield getting worked over like wet tissue paper was a bigger issue than Lukaku in any way or form. He's not the problem, he's not Kane but he's been playing well.
  7. Feb 1, 2018

Wouldn't Martial or Rashford be better suited to a 4-3-3 formation though, as part of a fluid front 3? That would shore up the midfield.
  8. Feb 1, 2018

Judas Open to offers

This is what I expected us to do, it was a Jose tactic and the sort of thing I totally saw us employing. I was very wrong.
  9. Feb 1, 2018

eat_grass Full Member

I'd be open to it, but it's not gonna happen in a million years. He pledged loyalty to Mourinho in every interview he's given since he signed, and Mourinho won't betray that loyalty -- he knows what happens when he loses his most important player(s).

Lukaku isn't given near enough credit for his cleverness and instincts.
  10. Feb 1, 2018

Jeffthered Full Member

Keep Lukaku at No 9. And Sanchez. The rest, I'm not sure anymore. All blow hot and cold.

The tactics are stifling this team, pragmatic football, with many players who are only above average at times. (sigh).
  11. Feb 1, 2018

ajf75 Banned

Against spurs he shouldn’t have played. Needed another midfielder to allow Pogba further forward.
  12. Feb 1, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

Said it last night during the game, Rashford for Lukaku, but the big guy is one of Jose's favourites. Lukaku offers little at times, especially in the big games.
  13. Feb 1, 2018

kopviolator Full Member

It doesn't matter who plays up front if the rest dont show up.
  14. Feb 1, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Yeap.
  15. Feb 1, 2018

Craig Ward Full Member

I thought Lukaku done ok yesterday, forced a couple of saves and is the focal point of our attack.

Sanchez will get better. Our support play was dismal yesterday, another poster pointed out the midfield and is spot on. Our front line is ok currently, doesn't need changing
  16. Feb 1, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

What I'm saying is Rashford wouldn't improve the play as his hold up play is crap as is his touch. Martial I can actually see giving the team a different dimension up front and giving the team a proper focal point.
  17. Feb 1, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Since he's come back from injury, he's been working well as a focal point, getting on the ball and picking runners on the flanks with some smart passes. He's got the pace, strength and all kinds of attributes to be a fine dynamic forward which you are looking for with Martial, it's not his fault that the team as a whole couldn't string 2 passes together yesterday, that's on a porous midfield.
  18. Feb 1, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

No, Lukaku is good enough to lead the line. Doesn't matter whom we play as CF when he just lump the ball forward and hope CF does everything.
  19. Feb 1, 2018

Champagne Football Full Member

Lukaku ran around like a headless chicken as Jose got the formation wrong.

Our best line up is Fellaini in midfield instead of Lingard further forward. It's harsh on Lingard as he's been one of our best players.

But we need to stick to 3 in midfield instead of two with Lingard perhaps going back to the wing to rival Martial for a start in the team.
  20. Feb 1, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    I thought I was the only one with this thought. Despite being our second most expensive player ever, I was never convinced by him. i would have prefered to hire any other player in the market.

When the "new team motivation" period passed, he became the clumsy first touch poacher once again. We are too predictable and lack options in our attacking game.
  21. Feb 1, 2018

johanovic Full Member

Agree with you, Lukaku needs to be benched and Rashford is a striker not a left winger. It would be interesting to see Martial-Rashford-Sanches as the front 3 and Pogba-Matic-Herrera as the midfield 3 and Pogba given a free role in a attacking sense. Matic and Pogba as a midfield 2 do not work as clearly seen last night. Shaw should also be the left back as he provides width and in this system him and valencia would do that.
  22. Feb 1, 2018

Turnip Full Member

Why? Lukaku didn't stand out yesterday, but he wasn't the problem. You could have had any striker up there but being fed a ball with 5 defenders in front of him he was never going to do anything. Or a long balls which Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught up with. He managed to cause Lloris to have to make a good stop too. He's missed his share of chances this season for sure, but we don't have anyone better except Sanchez, but I get the impression were not going to see him up front.
  23. Feb 1, 2018

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Pretty much this. The way he controls the ball is almost like an overgrown child. Head completely over the ball, can't look up in case he miss controls it. The intelligence of his running has gotten progressively worse too.
  24. Feb 1, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Yeah, lets stop with shit thread after shit thread. Yesterday was a failure of our setup. I'd blame the fact that neither Martial or Lingard could be dropped. If one of the aforementioned were out of form, we'd have started with Herrera.
  25. Feb 1, 2018

iluvurmummy Full Member

It’s unfortunate that his price tag means we will persist. Useless.
  26. Feb 1, 2018

Switch New Member

Straight swap for Alexis.

More pace, more technique and better movement.
  27. Feb 1, 2018

cyberman Full Member

But Lukaku has been fantastic as of late? He's doing wonders with the lack of service he gets.
    I understand Martial, Lingard and even Pogba are full of confidence but why is it impossible for Lukaku to get a chance when its unlikely that one of those 3 will take a shot on or try something stupid before the ball even falls to Lukaku?
  28. Feb 1, 2018

cantona7676 Full Member

Why are Martial and Rashford better at controlling the ball with it dropping to them from 100 feet in the air with there back to goal?
    Andy Carrol would be great at it.

If Lukaku gets good service and keeps shooting wide and missing chances then fair enough but until that happens you can't blame him in my opinion.

Just because he is a big man we keep lumping the ball up to him expecting him to do something with it but he's not that type of player, he likes to play on the half turn with quick through balls past in behind the central defender so he can use his strength and pace to out muscle the defender and get a shot on goal.

In fact all of our forwards would be good if we played through balls but we never seem to do it, the key to this is play a 3 man midfield with Pogba furthest forward playing quick balls to our attackers.
  29. Feb 1, 2018

IronCroos37 New Member

I want to see Pogba-Sanchez-Lingard-Martial front 4.
  30. Feb 1, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Doesn't excuse his poor first touch, though. I though he would step up and become a more dynamic forward that really is worth of the price tag, but time is passing and he is not improving. I think it's ok to starting to get worried about his lack of progression.
  31. Feb 1, 2018

FreakyJim Full Member

I don't know if it's because he's at United now and I'm too critical but Lukaku looks slower and heavier than before, to me. He moves about and I guess that constitutes for "hard work" but he doesn't put enough pressure on the defenders or rather he doesn't do it fast enough.
  32. Feb 2, 2018

Janson Full Member

No way.
  33. Feb 2, 2018

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    No. Lukaku is good enough. Too many games the entire team looks like crap, yet while Martial, Pogba, Matic and to an extent Lingard now places are guarnteed for you guys, Lukaku takes all the slack on here.

Nobody pressed anybody. Tottenham players just roamed the pitch, and that comes down to game plan. Lukaku is fast enough to press the GK and CB's if asked to.
  34. Feb 2, 2018

divad Banned

what is Lukaku actually better at then Martial as a cf? maybe a better header of the ball, someone enlighten me.
  35. Feb 2, 2018

SS Full Member

Sanchez - Martial - Lingard
    ----------Pogba-----Herrera---
    ------------------Matic-------------
    Shaw---Rojo-----Jones---Valencia

I'd like to see us try this, but unless Lukaku's injured, I don't see it happening. With Ibra coming back from injury soon too, it's even more unlikely.
  36. Feb 2, 2018

Eli Zee New Member

Unfortunately , this might not be a system that works best for the team.
  37. Feb 2, 2018

Safa Boy Full Member

No, but I do think Jose needs to stop using him as a target man. He might be big and strong, but he's not that good at holding up the ball and is even worse at winning headers.
  38. Feb 2, 2018

diplomat Banned

I'd give Lukaku till the end of the season to show proper form, fitting of a starting striker for Manchester United. If it doesn't work out, I'd advise the board to to everything possible to get Kane in the summer.

We need a world class CF, whether it's Lukaku or somebody else, it is all up to the Belgian to prove he has the required abilities and mentality for our club.
  39. Feb 2, 2018

Rajma Full Member

Even if I’m a fan of Martial (more of his raw ability) and I would swap Lukaku with Rashford and tell him to make those runs in behind non-stop.

Sanchez-Rashford-Lingard

I would give it a shot, it would at least bring the intensity and movement back.
  40. Feb 2, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

It's not going to happen. Forget about it. Lukaku is one of Mourinho's untouchables. Mourinho loves him and he isn't going to drop his 75m pound man. His ego won't allow it although I'm pretty certain if Fergie was here Lukaku would be dropped in the big games like Berbatov used to be and he'd go with a fluid front 3 of Lingard, Sanchez and Martial. That doesn't mean Lukaku is a bad player, just that we need different qualities in the game plan and he doesn't fit into that plan. Berbatov was the top scorer in the 2010/11 season but he didn't even make the bench for the CL final. That shows you what Fergie really thought about him. He wasn't a bad player but he didn't suit the game plan we wanted to enforce against Barcelona.