Times are a Changing

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by red2deadboy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jun 5, 2012

red2deadboy Banned

I have been reading posters threads and comments over the last few years and it looks like we are all pretty much coming to the same conclusion, even the die-hards are having their heads turned. A few years ago we all heard this rumour, we saw a few snippets in the press, heard a few comments on the radio though in our hearts dismissed the story as folly........and then suddenly we realise Manchester United had fullfilled all our football wet dreams and signed a certain Argentinian player all of europe coveted. It all had the best of summers and waited for "juan sebastian veron" to pull on the red jersey and take us to the promised land. Now i know this example of signing a top player is not the best example of a sucess story, which in my opinion was down to SAF not knowing where to play veron in a midfield containing keane, scholes etc. Though i do believe at this time SAF and the fans thought we had arrived on the top table regards being able to bring in the top players in the world, no longer would we always be priced out of the market.
    What we now get is SAF saying there is no value in the market while europes top clubs go and spend millions to strengthen our side, we now get SAF comoing out a saying competing on a show string against our neighbours is what brings out the the best in united, we now get told if we get lucky we might be able to afford a top central midfilder and a few 2nd string players to bolster our squad, we now get told we are playing the long game and youth is our philosophy (now having empathy for arsenal fans)and we now get our ageing players returning to add strength and skill to our midfield.
    Some people say last season was so exciting, and the climax to the seaon not to be found in any other league in europe. I for one did not really enjoy last seaon and of the 12 odd games i attend i only got truelly entertained twice in the manner i have come to expect my united team. We have SAF saying all the right things, though fear he has become a little bit corporate and is merely making best of a shite situation my owners who only looks to rape the club.Now they say football is a game of ebbs and flows, maybe we are now to realise such times are upon us and reminisce about yester year like our fathers.
    I truelly hope this isn't so, and that both SAF and the club will surprise us with top level marquee summer signings we all crave, and next year we are back to playing the kind of football we so love.
  2. Jun 5, 2012

ArmchairCritic No

Marquee signings doesn't equate to the United way of Football.
  3. Jun 5, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    TBH i don't care if the player we sing is much coveted, has great reputation etc. Give me Hernandezes over Hazards every time.
  4. Jun 5, 2012

buckooo1978 Full Member

Its the way of things - it sickened me to hear Hazard say Chelsea were the better project - I suppose he's not going to say they offered me more money

I just hope that FFP is properly implemented and the real big spenders have to play on a level playing field

We can still buy big names - we just need to conduct our business discreetly

Some agents though will leak interest from us to get other sides involved

Makes you realise why we work closely with guys like mendes
  5. Jun 5, 2012

#07 Full Member

I dunno why people are getting overexcited by this. We got beaten to a player? So? Its not the first time won't be the last time. Robben, Essien, Duff...all were meant to come here but Chelsea outbid us. Hazard. Whatever. There will be others. And the reds will go marching on despite that. No use crying over spilled milk.
  6. Jun 5, 2012

buckooo1978 Full Member

It makes you wonder if we would have signed players like Keane, Rio or Rooney in the current climate
  7. Jun 5, 2012

ricky-romeo Full Member

this.

fergei is the master. if he didn't get player A then he will sign player B. he will find his way.
  8. Jun 5, 2012

Drifter American

So basically not happy with the Kagawa signing.
  9. Jun 5, 2012

Chabon Full Member

Literally 20 minutes after we sign a player for more money than the club transfer record of 86 out of 92 football league clubs...
  10. Jun 5, 2012

Raoul Administrator

:lol:
  11. Jun 5, 2012

lysglimt Full Member

Not to mention signing a player who has dominated for the best team in Germany! If the same person had been playing in Italy or Spain there would be champagne-bottles opening now.

I don't think people understand exactly how good Kagawa is. He almost scores a goal every 2 matches as an attacking midfielder.
  12. Jun 5, 2012

Scholesgoals Full Member

apologies if english isnt your first language but does anyone else find that sloppy writing weakens the validity of the content?

the united style is different to the chelseas and the cities. We bring players in who have the right mentality as well as ability.
  13. Jun 5, 2012

buckooo1978 Full Member

But in the past we haven't been slow in bringing in quality additions when needed as well

I think the OP in that super paragraph is suggesting we can't compete for those kind of players

Put it this way - 10 years ago if spurs decide to sell Bale we are the obvious choice (slight chance of a Milan/Juve/Madrid)

Today - its Chelsea/City or Barca/Madrid and we can't compete

We've never been real big spenders but we have brought in expensive additions to complement the team when needed

When there is a one off player like a keane or Rooney you have to break the bank to try to get them
  14. Jun 5, 2012

Chabon Full Member

In the last 12 months we've spent 15 million+ four times.
  15. Jun 5, 2012

Scholesgoals Full Member

regardless of whether thats true or not.. cantona, ronaldo, vidic and evra show that spending silly money is not always essential! i wouldnt want players like ribery or hazard or neymar at our club.
  16. Jun 5, 2012

Raoul Administrator

We're not into big name players anymore. Its more economical to get promising young players on the rise and make them into very good players who can stay at the club for 5-10 years.
  17. Jun 5, 2012

red2deadboy Banned

Very happy regards Kagawa signing and wasn't aware of this when writing post, though more interested to see standard of 2nd & 3rd signings before eating my pre-heated humble pie.
  18. Jun 5, 2012

Spoony The People's President

Yep. Plus it'd be a case of eggs and one basket.
  19. Jun 5, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Such a good answer.
  20. Jun 5, 2012

Successful Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

We would have won the league if Vidic had played all season. People forget that we lost out on what could be the best central midfielder in the world. I don't believe we're that far behind any team in the world. So few adjustments are needed to make a team go from good to great. Even if City buy 10 new players they can hardly get much better than what they were. They could even become worse from that. It's not like you can save a player up for a year and use him at any given time.
  21. Jun 5, 2012

I'm always right Banned

And who knows what would've happened if either Clev or Ando or both hadn't been hit with pretty much season ending injuries.
  22. Jun 5, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

I think our football at times last year was excellent. I think we played good football, had some great stories (Welbeck and Evans), and almost won silverware. To be honest, I couldn't give a shiny shit who we sell, I just hope we don't sell any of our favorite players.

I think one of the main attitudes I don't get is "We're getting left behind in the transfer market", well it's fecking clear we're not being left behind on the pitch. Chelsea were fecking appalling in the league this year and they've got no manager. I couldn't give a shit if Hazard went there.
  23. Jun 5, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I don't know why people are suddenly only starting to become so worried about this now as if it's a new sort of phenomenom when it's been happening for nearly a whole decade now.

We've had to cope with the fact that Chelsea have had more spending power than us for a decade now. It was hard and first, and their spending power did help them lure certain players to Stamford Bridge that wouldn't have gone there otherwise, and who would've came to us instead had it not been for the money. Eventually though, we got to grips with their spending and still managed to be successful anyway.

In a way, it's better that we now have two insanely rich clubs to compete with. It means that they will both have to battle against each other for some players, so it won't be the case of one sweeping up all of them.

The timing of this thread is bizarre though anyway, considering we're just on the back of making a very big signing, for money that is merely a pipe dream to a lot of sides that are in the Premier League. Is Kagawa not a satisfactory signing?
  24. Jun 5, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

I don't get this. Gill has finally remembered where he left the Warchest and we get a thread like this? The only person we should spend big on this Summer is Modric, but it doesn't look like that is happening so instead we'll have to hope our injury situation isn't so bad next year for a change
  25. Jun 5, 2012

Zen86 Full Member

Didn't read, but I'm guessing it's essentially 'wah wah wah'
  26. Jun 5, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    What like Tevez
  27. Jun 5, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    He didnt exactly open a warchest for Kagawa more like a purse
  28. Jun 5, 2012

Raoul Administrator

Its the quality of the player that counts. We could have spent 40m for someone who would not provide the long term value that Kagawa would.
  29. Jun 5, 2012

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

Same.

Let's get a CM now...
  30. Jun 5, 2012

Hectic Full Member

:lol:
  31. Jun 5, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Stop complaining.

Kagawa's a quality player, one of the players of the season in one of the worlds toughest leagues - and he cost us about £14 million or so. What's not to like?

He's value in the market, and he'll improve at only 23. I for one am excited. Stop complaining we didn't sign Sneijder, who no doubt would have cost 4 times more and probably turn out a flop eventually anyway.
  32. Jun 5, 2012

Drifter American

Erm ,he was last years wet dream.
  33. Jun 5, 2012

RedSky At Night Matt Smith's sinister twin

I understand what the OP means. It can be frustrating to watch our rivals sign up known quality players only for us to sign players who are potentially in that bracket.

What he doesn't understand is that we can't compete with the likes of City/Chelsea. Its not that we can't compete on the signing, if we wanted Hazard, we'd have got him. But its the consequences after the signing that is the real issue. The issue is wages, we can't afford to break the wage structure and that means that players will almost always take the better wage offer.

Fwiw, Kagawa is a real diamond of a player and will prove to be far more effective imo for us than Hazard would have been. Can't wait to see him link up with Rooney/Nan/Welbeck etc. Perfect player for us.
  34. Jun 5, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

But this is in the market where you couldn't get Fellaini for that money. Not complaining, just making the point.

DDG (1)
    Jones, Rafael, Fabio, Smalling, Evans (5)
    Cleverley, Anderson, Kagawa (3)
    Welbeck, Hernandez, Rooney (3)

12 players who could realistically play for this club for 10 years. Of course it's not as simple as that, some will want a move, some won't develop as we hoped etc. but we are very well stocked.

Then you have
    Lindegaard (1)
    Nani, Young, Valencia (3)

As four more players who could be here for five years+

People seem to be becoming increasingly concerned with our signings, just because teams who, four years ago, had vastly inferior squads to ours. Chelsea were all set to go three years without a title, and City were all set to secure a mid-table finish. They've had their own transitions, but because they've been much more radical and necessary (whereas we've just quietly gone about our business year in, year out, whilst remaining at the top), people think we're lacking all of a sudden.

The team itself is actually fine, and won't require too many more 'marquee' signings for the foreseeable future.
  35. Jun 5, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I don't believe in marquee signings. I believe in signings that balance and complete a team and squad.
  36. Jun 5, 2012

SirAF Full Member

Marquee signings are for clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona, typically delivered by a President during a election year.
  37. Jun 5, 2012

The Neviller Full Member

Who are you referring to here?
  38. Jun 5, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

It's ironic that people think "value" means cheap, when the reality is that the signings that Sir Alex refers to as value, we've paid way more than we should to sign them in transfer fees and wages.

Value is signing young players early and developing them at United where we can get 5-10 years out of them, instead of letting them develop elsewhere and letting their price rise. We paid alot for an unproven Nani at the time, but if he were playing somewhere else right now, he'd probably be worth double what we initially paid and would probably be as coveted as Hazard was this summer and there'd be a good chance we wouldn't get him.

Other managers have to go out and buy top class stars every summer because they need them just to compete, to save their job. There is no planning for the future of that club in regards to signings because odds are they won't even be there. Chelsea's ageing team is a result of several managers buying players who were at their peak when they bought them, who only had a few good years left. Sir Alex (and Arsene Wenger too) has the luxury of knowing he'll be here for as long as he wants, so he doesn't have to make superstar signings like Sneijder, who offer no value long term. And while he's buying all these young players, he's ensuring that he'll leave a good team when he leaves. For example, with Jones, Evans, Smalling and the twins, we already have a solid back 4 for the next 10 years at least.
  39. Jun 5, 2012

Crumpsall Red Full Member

Sloppy writing weakens the validity of the content ..... It's City's not cities.
  40. Jun 5, 2012

Decotron Full Member

Yeah that means feck all tbf. How many regens have we signed? Well?

Regens win you leagues etc....