1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Toby Alderweireld | Times: Spurs willing to sell due to Alderweireld's demands for £150k/week

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by roonster09, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Matt Law reported that Alderweireld's future in doubt as he was left out of North London Derby and also for first tie against Juventus. Player declared himself fit for derby game but was left out (maybe for fitness concern)

He has not signed new contract and has contract till 2019. Spurs can activate 1 year extension in 2019 but when they do that, his release clause would be 25 Million.

Matt Law mentioned Spurs might have to sell him if they can't agree new contract with the player, also mentioned players should prove their fitness after long term injuries.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ds-tottenham-future-fresh-doubt-belgian-left/

If they don't agree new contract then hopefully we are in for him. Otherwise they will lose him for just 25 Million next season.
  2. Feb 12, 2018

Javi Full Member

How much more than 25m would he cost with only a year left on his contract? I guess max 50m, so Spurs will prefer to have him around another year for 25m. That's under the assumption he doesn't renew.
  3. Feb 12, 2018

United Pro Full Member

Matt Law is Chelsea's mouthpiece isn't he? He's the same guy who come out with the Sanchez will cost £180m exclusive. I reckon he's just creating drama, as he/people at Chelsea are worried that Spurs will take one of the top 4 places from Chelsea.
  4. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Beligian journalist said long back that Alderweireld has 25 Million release clause for his last year if contract extension is triggered. Matt Law is just reporting that player haven't signed contract and dropping him for such big games might make him change his decision for renewal.
  5. Feb 12, 2018

Pacificgi Full Member

Strange clause to have if true. Poch to madrid in the summer then alderweireld to follow
  6. Feb 12, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

When he signed for Spurs, everywhere said he had a straight five-year contract with no mention of an option.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/alderweireld-deal-agreed-080715/
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...weireld-tottenham-atletico-madrid-southampton
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33442272
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...am-complete-toby-alderweireld-signing-6024018
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...nham-sign-toby-alderweireld-on-five-year-deal

I do see the clause has been mentioned as early as 2016 though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ew-deal-toby-alderweireld-25m-release-clause/

Just seems odd that it was announced from the start as a contract right to 2020 when it actually wasn't - and having a release clause in his original contract doesn't make much sense.
  7. Feb 12, 2018

kps88 Full Member

If we do sign him, our record with CB injuries coupled with him coming back from a long term injury is a disaster waiting to happen.
  8. Feb 12, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    He has just come back from a fairly long term injury and is being eased back into the side. The contract is an issue but him not playing is not.
  9. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

I remember reading Di Marzio reporting that few clubs might trigger his clause, then Belgian journalists reported that it's only true in the last year of his contract.

I think maybe the info was leaked by his agent when they wanted new contract. It's all too messy but it's sort of taken as gospel that he has release clause if Spurs trigger extension.
  10. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Is he the guy that kept questioning Poch in the pot match presser and got made to look like a twat. I will say there is some doubt over his contract situation but that has nothing to do with not playing against Arsenal or Juve. Id say we will see him in the FA CUP.

I will be honest and say I think he is City bound. HE shafted Southapmton to join us I see no reason why he wouldn't shaft us to move on :lol:.
  11. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

I don't think he is City bound at all. Otamendi has done better and has a place in Pep's side, then they have Stones, Laporte. I think he might go to Madrid.
  12. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Even better, although I think he is better than any CB at City barring a fit Kompany.
  13. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Meh Fit Kompany isn't better either, he was maybe 5-6 years back.
  14. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Would suit you guys perfectly, I would say he could be sold this summer unless he signs a new deal, £40-50M would be good business for us.
  15. Feb 12, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Would take that in a heart beat. Best CB in the league.
  16. Feb 12, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Best CB in the league, if available we should try sign him.

Apart from his hammy injury against Madrid (?), how is he's fitness normally?
  17. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    He is up there no doubt about it, would put Verts above him simply as he is more of a leader.

Not bad at all.

17/18 Hamstring Injury Nov 2, 2017 Feb 6, 2018 96 days 20[​IMG]
    16/17 Knee injury Oct 17, 2016 Dec 1, 2016 45 days 9[​IMG]
    14/15 Hamstring Injury Jan 12, 2015 Mar 2, 2015 49 days 8[​IMG]
  18. Feb 12, 2018

arthurka Full Member

No he isn´t like that at all.. Couple of long term but nothing more..

Edit: Sorry didn´t see this post above
  19. Feb 12, 2018

vadimivich Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Spurs signing 2 highly rated young CB's this summer (Foyth and Sanchez) was clearly with an eye for the eventual departure / fall-off of the two Belgians. Alderweireld turns 29 next month, Vertonghen turns 31 in April ... they both have at best only a couple of seasons left at the very top level.

I would not be surprised at all if Spurs sold Alderweireld for a big wedge this summer instead of paying him hefty wages well into his 30s when he'll likely not be a star player any longer, moving on with Sanchez, Foyth and probably 1 more young CB in his place. That seems pretty standard with Spurs policy of paying for a player's prime at not for the tail end of his career. The sticking point on a new contract seems to be that as well, Spurs are offering wages Alderweireld is fine with - but he wants more years (4-5) than Spurs want to commit to. He knows this is his last contract and wants it as long as possible.
  20. Feb 12, 2018

James Peril Full Member

This is Alderweireld's third season at Spurs, turns 29 in a few weeks - already wasted a season at Southampton. He is entering his last contract so to speak, time to win some trophies. He did actually "win" the La Liga with Atletico, but I don't think he holds that highly given that he only figured in 10+ games that season. Many big clubs will circle around him this summer for sure. Would not be surprised if PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona, City, United et al contacted his agent. Unlike Kane, he cannot stick around at Spurs knowing that they probably won't any trophies the next few years.
  21. Feb 12, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Discussing them as potential signings for United I'd prefer Vertonghen tbh
  22. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Funnily enough hes out of contract in 2019 :lol:. I think we will keep him on though, Id like to see him retire with us, one of my favorite players in recent years and would love him to win something with us.
  23. Feb 12, 2018

vadimivich Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I love Super Jan (he and Lloris have been the anchors of this "rebirth" era for Spurs - stuck through the Sherwood choas, etc), but he's 31 in 2 months and likely has only a year or two left at this level. I think he's going to see out his playing days at Spurs and slowly move into a backup / rotation role quite soon. I can't see another club really making a move for him now, not for what he'd cost against the likely return.
  24. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think Verts has a good few years left in him, hes fit, pretty injury free and reads the game so well.
  25. Feb 12, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

A few seasons ago, I really thought Vertonghen would be a brilliant signing for United. He’s still class now but as others have said, he’s almost 31. We need someone in the 25-29 age bracket.

Alderweireld would be a quality signing for us. As would Varane. Imagine either of them partnered with Bailly with Alex Sandro as a LB? On paper, that is a world class defence.
  26. Feb 12, 2018

2mufc0 Full Member

Bring him in .
  27. Feb 12, 2018

James Peril Full Member

Definitely. He doesn't waste any unnecessary energy when he plays a game, a bit like Rio Ferdinand in that sense.
  28. Feb 12, 2018

Nedved Full Member

31? It's the best age for an intelligent central defender. Barzagli became world class at that age and is now almost 37, still going strong.
  29. Feb 12, 2018

Hojoon Full Member

In caf you are more or less dead when you are near 30.
  30. Feb 12, 2018

redpatron New Member

Chris Smalling and 50 million should do the trick
  31. Feb 12, 2018

Nytram Shakes Full Member

I don't think defence should be our priority, but he is the best defender in the league and cant and if he is available its got to be worth a thought
  32. Feb 12, 2018

Ikon Full Member

A Leopard doesn't change it's spots....
    Why City though, surely he could reunite with most of his old team mates now at Liverpool..? ;)
  33. Feb 12, 2018

vadimivich Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Smalling would be utterly useless in Pochettino's system.

I think it's far more likely that Spurs would go back to the Ajax well once more for de Ligt and sniff around to maybe see if a highly rated young talent like Flor Van Den Eynden can be pried away from Inter. Another option would be to use a big chunk of cash on a young star south american defender like Jose Maria Gimenez, which fits the model Spurs used making a club record purchase of Davinson Sanchez last year.
  34. Feb 12, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Spurs wouldn't sell to us and he wouldn't come here. At 29 i imagine he wants guaranteed trophies over the next few years. Would be brilliant if we did get him though.
  35. Feb 12, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    He is unbuyable Unless Spurs get desperate to cash in.
  36. Feb 12, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Don't be negative Chief. I think everyone's got a prove.
  37. Feb 12, 2018

matador Full Member

Top class CB. Do get him.
  38. Feb 12, 2018

BarcaSpurs Full Member

Feck right off, that would be awful for us. Not gonna get closer to winning silverware by selling our best defender. I don't think theres anything in these rumours to be honest, it's all fuelled because Poch left him out for Juve but it wouldn't make any sense at all to that over the contract thing and not because he's genuinely not fully fit yet.
  39. Feb 12, 2018

SPURSY85 Banned

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Nothing story.

Pochettino on Toby

"You know how we work. After three and a half months he suffered a massive injury. From day one we created a plan to help him. We worked with the medical area and sports science. He’s 28, it was a massive injury and we cannot put in risk his career. "

"We’re sorry for him to miss massive games like Arsenal and the Champions League. I understand and we are frustrated too. Of course it’s a very important game but we need to apply our common sense about how he is used in the first few weeks after training. Competing is different. We were lucky to have Newport. All going well he will be available for Rochdale and we will assess day by day. "

"We had a nice conversation after the Liverpool game. The player last season was working hard to play in the Champions League. It’s normal to have the excitement to play. They always feel fit to play but it’s up to us and the medical stuff to make the decision. Then if something wrong happens the responsibility is us. With this type of injury you have to be careful. Look at this type of injury. Different type of players have had had a setback, like Barkley. Football is about taking risks, but not if we feel he is ready to compete with the demand of this type of game, and Arsenal and Liverpool."
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  40. Feb 12, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I agree he's left out of the squad because he isn't fit, but no way will Levy let him run his contract down and no way will he activate Toby's extra year if there is a £25M buy out clause. If he doesn't sign a new contract before the summer, he will be sold.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.