Top Four Race 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Five teams will fight it out for three positions again. All of them in Europe too. Gonna be hella tiring.
  2. Dec 13, 2017

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Utd finish second comfortably. :lol::lol:
  3. Dec 13, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

There's not really a top four race. Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have already dropped so many points that they will have to go on a crazy run of form. Its more like a 4th place race.
  4. Dec 13, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

Three teams fighting for one position. United and Chelsea will finish inside the top four quite comfortably.
  5. Dec 13, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

If you're laughing because you don't think that'll be the case then Laugh all you want because we've been sat comfortably no lower than 2nd all season, as soon as Chelsea the only side to get close to us do they go and lose to a West Ham and let a gap open up again
  6. Dec 13, 2017

reddevil702 Full Member

Why are so many giving up on the league in December? If City were to lose to Spurs next week (they ended Chelsea's run last year, if I remember correctly) and tie or lose one match between now and the time they play Liverpool, we could go into that weekend 6 points behind them. This is of course assuming we win all of our matches. In the same span, our toughest matches are probably Burnley which we will play at Old Trafford and away at Everton.
  7. Dec 13, 2017

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I honestly don't think any of the teams between 2nd-6th (or I guess...7th...) are 'safe' for the top 4 tbh.

Only 7 points between 2nd and 6th, 8 if you want to include Arsenal. That is not at all an insurmountable amount. None of the teams are necessarily that reliable. As Damien pointed out, a week ago, it was all doom and gloom, we might as well pack up. A week later, we're back in the top 4. Inevitably when we lose to City this weekend, it will be disaster again. Things can (and do) change very very quickly.

I'm generally a pessimist when it comes to Spurs (years of supporting us will do that) but for the first time in ages, I'm going to predict something positive.

I reckon it will end:

Man City
    Man Utd
    Spurs/ Chelsea
    Spurs/ Chelsea

Wanyama, Lamela and Alderweirald coming back will be huge. And we tend to pick up in the 2nd half of the season too.

The fact that Chelsea and us have a pretty reasonable chance of no more Europe after early March may give us a slight advantage as well.

Will be very interesting though.
  8. Dec 13, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

Agreed. I don't think there's much difference in quality between Chelsea, United, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal. Can see quite a bit of chopping and changing ahead.
  9. Dec 14, 2017

Reiver Full Member

I think Utd and Chelsea are fairly nailed on. City obviously. Right now I'm not sure about fourth spot but probably Spurs.
  10. Dec 14, 2017

dwd Saturday Night Spies

'tis the season :)
  11. Dec 14, 2017

T A New Member

For Big 6:

1 - 2: Manchester
    3: Chelsea
    4: Liverpool
    5: Arsenal
    6: Spurs
  12. Dec 14, 2017

RobinHood New Member

I’d swap Liverpool with Spurs here.
  13. Dec 14, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

City
    Chelsea
    United
    Burnley

;)
  14. Dec 14, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Without Pogba we would be fighting to get into top 4. IMO. We need to bring in a couple of players in January. We have no one besides Pogba to push the team on. I think we will finish 2nd or 3rd if we do bring someone in and keep Pogba fit.
  15. Dec 14, 2017

anant Full Member

City Utd and Chelsea are pretty much set to finish in top 4. I feel Arsenal will round of the top 4 as they are pretty great in beating average teams (yesterday being an exception)
  16. Dec 14, 2017

Rafateria Banned

The Xmas / January period will obviously have a major influence and then after that we are straight into the CL / EL KO stages which will again have a major influence, the deeper a team goes the more committed to the CL/EL they will be.

City nailed on, United are much closer to 7th than they are 1st, so that's done. Chelsea and Spurs may gain an advantage if they are knocked out of the CL by Barca and Juve but even those are close matches. And the FAC hasn't even started yet with the LC closing stages to come.

Pre-season I said City for the title with Chelsea/United and Liverpool making up the top 4. Still happy with that but no idea of the order yet.
  17. Dec 14, 2017

Rafateria Banned

What are you on about ? Crazy run of form ? United are only 8 points off 7th. A drop off in form would soon see them swallowed up and fighting with the proletarians for top 4.
  18. Dec 14, 2017

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Nothing is set in stone, and there is not a lot separating teams (although City will have to implode to lose this lead).

I'd say:
    City
    United
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
  19. Dec 14, 2017

devil in me Full Member

Its probably going to come to down to a shootout between Spurs and Liverpool for 4th. Think top 3 is sorted in all honesty. As amazing as it would be for Burnley to challenge, surely thats going to fade away and Arsenal I dont see finishing above Spurs and Liverpool.
  20. Dec 14, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

Like few said apart from City every other team can finish outside top 4. All it takes is 1 bad week in December to be outside top 4.
  21. Dec 14, 2017

cyberman Full Member

We're not in a top 4 race just yet, we're simply not dropping enaugh points v smaller sides for us to worry.
    Even if we do, its not as if 3 other sides are in blistering form that it becomes a problem
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  22. Dec 14, 2017

Don _ Conte New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    1 - City
    2 - Chelsea
    3 - United
    4 - Spurs

Arsenal away form is just dire, and Liverpool are just Liverpool.
  23. Dec 14, 2017

Peanut Butter Banned

Funny how the Liverpool fans find it hilarious when we're comfortably 2nd without even playing well a lot of the time when they're struggling to maintain a strong position in the league.

Spurs are a better side than Liverpool with a better manager. They'll get 4th I think.

1. City (done deal)
    2. Chelsea
    3. United
    4. Spuds
    5. Arsenal
    6. Liverpool
  24. Dec 14, 2017

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

I can't see City continuing as they are for the rest of the season, but I can't see them letting it slip now either. Closest anyone will get will probably be around 5 points.

United and Chelsea battling for second, with United just edging it.

Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool battling for fourth. No offence to Burnley but I think they're going to drop off in the second half of the season. They're just not scoring enough goals.

Think Spurs have probably got enough in them for fourth. I can see Wenger shifting focus to the Europa League as we did last season, so I'm going to go with:

1. City
    2. United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Spurs
    5. Liverpool
    6. Arsenal

If Arsenal get CL Wenger's staying. If they don't then I think we'll have seen the last of him. I'm not really sure how he wangled staying on this season to be honest so for them to miss out two years running, with the added potential departures of both Ozil and Sanchez, then I don't think he'd be very surprised to be shown the door.

Think Poch will stay if Spurs miss out but the pressure will be on next season. I keep reading people linking him with Madrid but I'm not sure why they'd go for someone who's not won anything. As impressive as Spurs have been at times, they've got nothing to show for it.

Pressure will be on Klopp if Liverpool miss out. Can't see them sacking him but since he arrived I'd say they've been incredibly underwhelming. 8th in his first season, scraped 4th in his second, anywhere below 4th in his third has to be seen as failure. Two cup final defeats in that time too, so if they go without silverware again (and they're already out of the EFL Cup) then I'm not really sure what the point of him is. When he got the job he said he could win the title with them in four years. He's got 18 months and they don't look close.
  25. Dec 16, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Matchday 18
    • Chelsea, Arsenal win
    • Burnley draw
    • Man City beat Spurs
    Still to play:
    • Manchester United (West Brom away)
    • Liverpool (Bournemouth away)
    Currently 14 points behind first but can go back to 11 if we beat West Brom. A win for Liverpool would put them in the top four.
  26. Dec 17, 2017

Skills Snitch

I reckon it'll stay the way it is.

City
    United
    Chelsea
    Arsenal

Top 3 will be safe, and Spurs and Liverpool will run Arsenal close.
  27. Dec 17, 2017

Manchester Dan Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    1 City played 5 points 15
    2 Chelsea played 5 points 8
    3 United played 5 points 7
    4 Liverpool played 5 points 5
    5 Arsenal played 5 points 4
    6 Spurs played 5 points 3

Shows the importance of the big games - 8 of the 11 point gap comes from the traditional top 6 table.
  28. Dec 17, 2017

deafepl Full Member

Thought I saw "rags" right? I was going to attack you but after clicking quote, it suddenly changed to "United" :houllier::houllier::houllier:
  29. Dec 17, 2017

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We’ve dropped off a fair bit in that mini league this season. Our two defeats came against other sides in last seasons top six.
  30. Dec 17, 2017

Yeah, it said that originally. Probably saw it on BM originally or something.

Points ahead/behind other teams in Top 7
    [​IMG]
    Was having a conversation with a banned user on twitter earlier who said this:

Not sure how exactly Liverpool are keeping pace as they're still only just in the top four. Second half of the season will be interesting. A lot still to play for but right now Liverpool are looking better than the teams below.
  31. Dec 17, 2017

Was going to be near impossible to match or better last season's record - 5 wins, 5 draws - but didn't expect you to fall that much.
  32. Dec 17, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Take a look at their results in the same fixtures last season. Only difference is they lost two games they should have lost instead of drawing them
  33. Dec 17, 2017

Manchester Dan Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Yeah. Copy and paste job from elsewhere.

Changed it once I saw it.
  34. Dec 17, 2017

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    The top 3 is almost sealed, then who knows. It should be Liverpool if they kept a good form.
  35. Dec 17, 2017

Jazz Full Member

You're playing them soon, you have to beat them! And you can. You know how Wenger doesn't like to give up his 4th place...:p
  36. Dec 17, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

We've been second all season without Pogba for much of it
  37. Dec 18, 2017

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I think we’ll beat United to 2nd but at this point what does it matter except a few million dollars. I wouldn’t mind a 3rd place finish for the season if it mean we made a deep run in the CL and atleast make some sort of impression to have Conte here for another season.
  38. Dec 18, 2017

caid Full Member

I'm still praying the christmas pile up and general fatigue hits City harder than most and they have a horribly mediocre 2nd half of the season.
    I'm not ready to give up on the delusion of challenging for title just yet.

Us, Chelsea and City look like finishing top 3 to me.
    Spurs ... I think are probably the best of the 3 remaining but Wembley and just not looking that motivated in the league will see them miss out.
    Arsenal - I dunno, depends how far they go in Europa League and FA Cup i guess, think liverpool are probably a slightly safer bet atm unfortunately.
  39. Dec 18, 2017

AkaAkuma Full Member

1. City
    2. United
    3. Chelsea
    4. Pool

Liverpool - their fire power will get them over the line, but injuries to any of the attackers may derail them - could see a slowdown with the fixture build up.
    Spurs - I don't see a substantial improvement in form to get them above Liverpool. I don't think Alli will find any form.
    Arsenal - I don't think they have the depth and Ozil / Sanchez will take the foot off the gas near the end of the season to avoid injury for WC and new contract with other clubs.
  40. Dec 18, 2017

Feed Me I'm hungry

United get to face Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool at OT during the second half of the season, travelling to Spurs and City. Take ten points from those games while keeping up our flat track bullying and we will comfortably finish second.