Top Four Race 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Feb 7, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Only question mark is if we can keep Matic fit. For all the criticism over his recent form, he's still been vital to our campaign and been playing every game. If he gets injured, we have to revert to Herrera, McTominay and Pogba and I am not sure how well that will work regularly.

We are favorites for 2nd, but we need atleast 2 more weeks of results similar to the latest to be sure of it.
  2. Feb 7, 2018

reddaz71 Full Member

1.City
    2.Utd
    3.Liverpool
    4.Spurs
  3. Feb 7, 2018

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

United. I expect a loss against City. Draw against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. Probably one more away draw against either Crystal Palace or Bournemouth. Total loss of 11 points. Then we will end up with 81 points.

If Tottenham goes unbeaten they end up with 85p. With games against Arsenal, Chelsea and City I don’t think that’s possible. I expect at least one loss and one draw. That’s 80 points after 38 games.

Chelsea is the hardest one to predict. I can’t see them getting more then 76-78 points in total. Draw against us, Liverpool and Tottenham. Probably one loss against City.

Liverpool has the ability to go unbeaten. Probably a draw against us and Chelsea. That’s 83 points in total.

My list would be

City 99-101p

Liverpool 83p
    United 81p
    Tottenham 80p

Chelsea 77p
  4. Feb 7, 2018

mav_9me Full Member

It seems like it given they are only 5 points behind. But in reality to get to 75 points (which is thought to be the cut off based on last years points) they would need 2.50 ppg going forward which is title winning form. We have seen it from them before but this Arsenal defense is nowhere near good enough for that. Will their newer attacking players help compensate for that? I cant see it.
  5. Feb 7, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

We aren't gonna draw 3 games at home to rivals.
  6. Feb 7, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

There's no way Arsenal are in the top four hunt. Their away record is dreadful, they've got Spurs coming up and United in April. EL will be the priority.

Chelsea are the ones wobbling as I've said before. Spurs, Liverpool have to capitalise on that.
  7. Feb 7, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

If Arsenal beat Spurs and Chelsea or Liverpool have another bad result, they are very much in it. It is true they have the Europa, but Auba is not eligible for that and they have Lacazette on the bench, so I think they will cope.
  8. Feb 7, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Think you're too optimistic with all teams imo, I doubt 4th place would get over 80 points.
  9. Feb 7, 2018

RedRom "Where's Lingard?"

Yeah, there is zero chance of Liverpool finishing close to us, nevermind ahead of us! :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  10. Feb 7, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

I'm more positive, I reckon we'll beat Arsenal at home and probably Chelsea.
  11. Feb 7, 2018

Add to the list that we will beat City at their own ground as payback for the result earlier on in the season.
  12. Feb 7, 2018

gajender Full Member

You are seriously overestimating Liverpool and Tottenham , for them to reach your predicted points haul they would be required to show the Man city type form and that too for almost 1/3 of the season while navigating Champions league ties they are simply not that good.
  13. Feb 7, 2018

SpyLuke10 Full Member

City
    United
    Spurs
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
  14. Feb 7, 2018

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Do you usually win (home) games against top 6 then?
  15. Feb 7, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

I would take 3rd place right now if offered. Automatic CL qualification is all that matters, don't care if we finish above someone or not.
  16. Feb 7, 2018

CA1 Full Member

Last year it was W:2 D:2 L:1

So far it's W:1 L:1
    City been the loss both times.

We should be aiming to improve on last years record by winning two of the three we have remaining. I think we will. I think we will beat Liverpool and one of Chelsea/Arsenal, probably Chelsea.

Even under Van Gaal, we didn't lose at home to a fellow top 6 side (it was always just Southampton!).

We'll gain some good points on teams with the fact we have them at home and not away. Luckily the away games at Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are finished as we are crap in them games. It's one of the reasons I'm almost certain of top 4.
  17. Feb 7, 2018

You do realise that the top four places all get automatic Champions League group stage places right?
  18. Feb 7, 2018

prateik Full Member

Oh getting to 75 will be very very tough.. and if they lose against Spurs, they are almost certainly out.. But, if they beat spurs, they will be 1 point behind them, with 11 games to go.. which is basically nothing..

They'll just need 1 team above them to have a bit of a wobble. Chelsea have had it this week. They can do the same again.. or liverpool can ..

75 as a target is very tough and they'll need to rely on the other teams dropping a few silly points. but teams drop points all the time... especially with the CL games coming up.
  19. Feb 7, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Tottenham peaking? They have had some shaky results recently, tbh.
  20. Feb 7, 2018

mav_9me Full Member

Even if we say 72 the target (Extrapolated from current ppg from Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs) thats still 2.25 ppg.

Suffice to say very tough. But if anybody can do it, Arsenal can as they have shown before. Another problem for them is they will have to decide between EL vs PL top 4 race. Which way do they prioritize to get into CL?
  21. Feb 7, 2018

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Since the beginning of December (ie past 2 months), we've picked up 25 points from 12 games. Only Man City (29) and Liverpool (25 with one more GD) have are higher.

Or since the halfway point (when Poch's teams tend to pick up), we're top, with 18 points from 8 games.

Will still be difficult for sure but we're looking good form wise for sure.
  22. Feb 7, 2018

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

It’s perfectly possible and I will gladly accept three draws if we end up in a top four position.

You’re probably right but the interesting part is the results between the top teams.

There is always a chance. A good chance.

I’m a little bit more conservative until we’re safe.

I prefer to overestimate our rivals and underestimate us until our top four place is safe. Call me a half empty kind of guy but after three years with Moyes and LvG my confidence is low regarding consistency and good results.
  23. Feb 7, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Yeah as much as I have my concerns about progress, I think provided Sanchez stays fit (and some other key players obviously), United are bankers despite how tight it looks (or rather how it's been - I know it's opened up a bit now). I would be shocked if we finished lower than 3rd.

I think it all depends on how Chelsea do. For much of the season I thought they would finish above us (genuinely thought they looked a better team at times). Liverpool and Spurs are just down to consistency.

Arsenal will keep it interesting but far too soft away from home.
  24. Feb 7, 2018

CA1 Full Member

It's never felt that tight to me. It's difficult playing catch up. I remember last year we would go on runs but that one dodgy result would set us back weeks. It just seems to be going our way* this year. Bad result at Spurs. Look to the next fixture and we have Huddersfield at home while Liverpool and Spurs have to slug it out. Just seems to stop any bleeding.

*- going our way because we're a better team this year and in my opnion a better team than our rivals maybe bar Chelsea.
  25. Feb 7, 2018

There is zero, literally zero chance of Liverpool finishing ahead of us this season, that simply is not going to happen, so you don't need to be worrying about such a thing as that!
  26. Feb 7, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

How easily we beat the other 14 teams under Jose though (Huddesfield aberration aside). You have to give him credit for that. It is key to our revival and the sad fact is, it would normally have been enough for 1st if City hadn't taken it up a notch.

The way we are playing reminds me of the 14/15 title winning Chelsea side. At times flashy, but mostly efficient and unglamorous even, grinding out wins, drawing certain games etc. Guess that is no longer enough with City being the way they are.
  27. Feb 7, 2018

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    Like there was no chance Ozil would re-sign for Arsenal.
  28. Feb 7, 2018

I was not counting on him having no ambition, my error there.
  29. Feb 7, 2018

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Full of errors?
  30. Feb 7, 2018

Nope, just that one, silly me I was thinking he might be ambitious!
  31. Feb 7, 2018

Oscie Full Member

For you it's not so much tempting fate as holding its nose until it has to open its mouth to breathe and pissing in it, isn't it? Easily one of the most prattish things I've read today.
  32. Feb 7, 2018

ti vu Full Member

New rule for next campaign? This season L'pool had to play qualification round, didn't they? Is your crystal ball saying who finished fourth this season would either win CL or EL?
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  33. Feb 7, 2018

Just got confidence in my team, and having seen the inconsistency of Liverpool, it just makes sense really.
  34. Feb 7, 2018

New rule for this season, Liverpool were the last team to play a qualifier in that sense.
  35. Feb 7, 2018

Oscie Full Member

You can have confidence in your team without saying it's impossible for a 5 point gap to be overturned between early Feb and end of the season. Otherwise it's just daft, that is on the basis that presumably you're not 12.
  36. Feb 7, 2018

I wish that I was 12 again, I enjoyed that period of my life!
  37. Feb 7, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    This thread is full of bullish statements about which teams will finish where in the table - statements that have looked shaky just a couple of weeks later.

There's plenty more twists and turns to go before the season ends ... and none of the current top 5 bar City are nailed on to finish in the top 4.
  38. Feb 7, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Utd have never looked shakey for a top 4 finish?
    Is that statement aimed at Chelsea fans?
  39. Feb 8, 2018

I would say both of the Manchester teams are safe in terms of top four places, the rest of the teams are fighting for the other two places.
  40. Feb 8, 2018

Rafateria Banned

Indeed. The forecast is 76 points for 4th. And there will be shock defeats/draws for all teams, especially as we near the end of the season and the relegation fighting teams (which currently seems to be half the division !) are battling like hell just for a point.

Then throw the CL, FAC, EL and LC into the mix to affect teams via fatigue and injuries. Long long way to go yet.