Top Four Race 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2018

AshRK Full Member

imagine united consistently being in 2nd place and yet we have been called lucky and some even said we will fall out of top 4. Ofcourse, you guys will finish in top 4, chelsea or spurs to miss out.
  2. Mar 10, 2018

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Suprised people are marking up the Everton game as a tough one for Liverpool. Don't they usually roll them over with ease.
  3. Mar 10, 2018

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

Not at Goodison.
  4. Mar 11, 2018

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Tends to be a draw at Goodison I think.
  5. Mar 11, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I think top 4 is done. Chelsea don't look capable of going on a 5-6 winning streak which is what they need. All they've beaten in last two months are West Brom and Palace at home.
  6. Mar 11, 2018

Hawks2008 Full Member

2nd place is all in our hands now. We've been top 2 all season but everyone keeps telling me that Spurs/Liverpool/Chelsea are better teams and we're just shit. It's honestly baffling, when will people learn?
  7. Mar 11, 2018

dbs235 Full Member

Shouldn't Arsenal at home for us be coloured green? :wenger:
  8. Mar 11, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Good work but I disagree with coloring. Arsenal at home with nothing to play is easier than Relegation teams away from home.
  9. Mar 11, 2018

prateik Full Member

As a one-off, I'd fancy us in all our remaining games bar the City one.. but I hope we progress in the CL and the FA cup and if we do, those games become less important. I don't think we'll win the lot.. Getting 80 points would be nice though..

Chelsea will be out of the CL and will get to focus on the league.
    Liverpool are fecked.
  10. Mar 11, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Would love for Chelsea to somehow pip Liverpool to a 4th place finish.
  11. Mar 11, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I think Spurs are much more likely to fall out of the top 4 than Liverpool.
  12. Mar 11, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Agree. Liverpool get dragged in if they have a few bad results coupled with others winning. They've got an arms length distance right now.
  13. Mar 11, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Our points against the top 6 has improved a lot because of the recent results. We have 16/24 with two games left to play.
  14. Mar 11, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

Depends on who reached the CL semi-finals as well. The CL weeks are perfect grounds to drop a few points and I think from here on Mourinho will actually prioritise the CL.
  15. Mar 11, 2018

Maradona10 Duncan Castles

Hi a great job done by you. Can you please add the champions league and F.a. cup fixtures too . It would give a more clearer picture .
  16. Mar 11, 2018

Seij Full Member

Well, Arsenal actually tend to play much better when the pressure is off of them, it may turn out to be a tough game.
  17. Mar 11, 2018

Mr H Full Member

I agree, i removed the difficulty text, just left the colors so we can quickly see the teams we're playing (Top 6, Relegation, ....).
  18. Mar 11, 2018

Mr H Full Member

How so ? they are 4 points above Chelsea and they'll have to play them. and if spurs win today they're 3, above Liverpool. the only advantage they have is that Chelsea and spurs play each other next. but if chelsea win that game and liverpool win theirs, spurs would be 2 behind Liverpool, and chelsea 4 behind them. so chelsea have it in their hand as they play both liverpool and spurs at home.

I agree that Chelsea is the most likely to drop, but people are quick to dismiss them. if they get knocked out of the CL, they'll be able to concentrate on the PL only.
  19. Mar 11, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

This is true. Chelsea's mentality when they are focused and willing is similar to ours -- they are seasoned winners and can dig deep to get the required result without bottling it. Their crisis might be over with the win against Palace. In contrast, Spurs and Liverpool are known to have thrown away positions of strength in the past.

Of course, Chelsea are still favorites to finish 5th, but write them off at your peril.
  20. Mar 11, 2018

Mr H Full Member

Exactly, we saw spurs crumble each time the pression got to them, between the EL last year, the title against leicester/second place and the Juve tie.
    Liverpool still have to play chelsea away and it's not a given that they'll be able to juggle between their CL ties and the PL. if they qualify for the semis it's even worse.

Quick edit: they don't even have positions of strength, liverpool are 4 above Chelsea but they have to play them at SB, Spurs will be 5 if they win today but still have to play Chelsea at SB.
    it's a difficult place to go to.
  21. Mar 12, 2018

lex talionis Full Member

100% certainty at this point: City to lift the EPL trophy.
    83.1% certainty at this point: United to finish second. 0% chance now of United falling out of the top four.

The only serious question remaining is whether Chelsea can nip either Tottenham or Liverpool. They would have to beat both Spurs and Liverpool to have a realistic shot at top four but it's hard to see either happening, let alone both happening. Third our fourth between Spurs/Liverpool is up in the air and doesn't really matter.

We have important EPL fixtures to get through but if we get past Sevilla Mourinho can start thinking about shaping his squads for maximum impact in the CL and begin to rest players accordingly in EPL fixtures.
  22. Mar 13, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Gonna be disappointed if we don't finish 3rd.
  23. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

Spurs are better than you, but Kane is injured now so...
  24. Mar 13, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Meh, not entirely convinced they are this season at least. Their squad and play style has better stability though. With us it's a case of needing a few more pieces of the jigsaw and then I could probably say that more confidently.
  25. Mar 13, 2018

Scroto Baggins Full Member

The Kane injury certainly throws a spanner in the works, I would have had them well in with a top 4 finish after being knocked out of CL, but now not so sure. That Chelsea - Liverpool game second last of the season could be huge.
  26. Mar 13, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'm just annoyed it's come to this having been in such a seemingly promising position prior to last weekend. Still we need to improve.
  27. Mar 13, 2018

Claude Cat New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well it is only now that an actual gap has opened up for the first time since like September. Not that I'm saying those teams are better than Man Utd but it was hardly out there for them to think so when Spurs and Liverpool have had a better last 5 months than them.
  28. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

You don't think the two games in the league this season say anything?
  29. Mar 13, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not really, we got the equivalent results vs them last season and they finished above us.
    One off games as great as they are vs your rival to win, aren't necessarily indicative of league position.
    What I will say is this season we've altered how we play slightly and our tactics/personell in certain big games has been poor. Doesn't bode well for the CL, but I'm hopeful we'll get things right in the summer and going forwards.
  30. Mar 13, 2018

prateik Full Member

How bad is the Kane injury? Spurs don't have a league game for 3 weeks.. And then they play Chelsea, which I am hoping they lose.. So he can sit that out too..

Think they'll be fine. It'll be down to whether Chelsea players step it up. if they can, Liverpool are in trouble.
  31. Mar 13, 2018

Scroto Baggins Full Member

Not sure on the injury, I just caught the highlights and he walked off unassisted from what I saw. I too hope Spurs lose that game as they only really have the top four to focus on now after getting knocked out of the CL by Juve. There is the FA cup but unless the games go to replays time is allocated for games so generally not crazy fixture congestion.

Chelsea just haven't looked at the races recently, 4 losses in their last six games. Although they are in no danger of Arsenal catching them as Arsenal are actually worse.
  32. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

They are above you in the league as well though...
  33. Mar 13, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah but the league isn't over yet. It's the sort of judgement you make after 38 games.
  34. Mar 13, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Even with Kane's injury Spurs will still make the top 4. They have the quality to cope with that. They are better than Chelsea IMO and roughly on a par with Liverpool. Chelsea if they make it will probably be at the expense of Liverpool.
  35. Mar 13, 2018

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

It's confusing watching Chelsea and Tottenham in these games. You want them to win to surpass Liverpool, but you don't want them to win too much to surpass us..

Let´s hope for great performances from Watford and Palace while Chelsea beat Tottenham. If Liverpool would draw the next two, while Chelsea and Tottenham both win their second game, we'd have the following with 6 games to go and Liverpool to play Chelsea at the Bridge. Can we hope for a Slippy VVD? :drool:

United 68 (beat Swansea, lose to City)
    Tottenham 64 (lose to Chelsea, beat Stoke)
    Liverpool 62 (draw with Watford and Palace)
    Chelsea 62 (beat Spurs, beat West Ham)
  36. Mar 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

That's big statement to make, and I'd like to disagree. You saw how in early season when Kane was not scoring (almost every recent season), Tottenham had a slow start especially when it comes to goal. And Kane is not just goal scorer, he is a threat which force the opposition to shuffle their defense to have someone to mark him. Example is the quick goal against us: Jones got dragged out and left the space. Llorente is more suited to be plan B and even him didn't get enough game time to contribute much.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  37. Mar 13, 2018

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

He's scored 41% of their goals in the league this season, and he's a big fear factor for opposition defences, which can be half the battle at times. Llorente simply doesn't provide that. I agree, they could struggle without him.
  38. Mar 13, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think we will favour Son upfront, I thought we looked excellent at the weekend. I don't think we will have a problem scoring goals.
  39. Mar 13, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

I think you will be fine without Kane except in the big games, which is only 2 games. You need that quality of player against the best opposition. Is there a date for his return?
  40. Mar 13, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Not yet, which isn’t really helpful lol. Hopefully only a month like the last time.