Top Four Race 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

It is still amazing how we lost 6 fecking points in last 3 matches while all others trashing weaker teams at the moment. Even Arsenal...
    But if i want a bet now i would say it will end:
    City
    Chelsea
    United
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Arsenal

I think that Liverpool will be 3rd but just can't write that. Just can't...
  2. Dec 30, 2017

Claude Cat New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not anymore
  3. Dec 30, 2017

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers. Verified Moaner

City
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    United
    Spurs
    Arsenal

Aka failure.
  4. Dec 30, 2017

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    I still think Spurs will get top 4 even with playing at Wembley, think one of United or Liverpool will miss out, think it'll certainly be clearer come the end of Jan
  5. Dec 30, 2017

vadimivich Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Spurs have to stay healthy, and have a brutal fixture list coming up. We'll see.
  6. Dec 30, 2017

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    Yeah, if Spurs are in the top 4 after the Liverpool game at the start of Feb I think they'll stay there
  7. Dec 31, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    No more qualifiers... Top 4 teams go straight to the group stages.
  8. Dec 31, 2017

Rafateria Banned

What does 'usually' mean in the context of this season ? Pretty much nothing (to use the insurance investment get out phrase 'history is no indicator of future performance'. If they lose Sanchez without substantial reinforcements (Lemar ?) then they are in the shit IMO and will finish 6th. Even with him it will be a mighty struggle for them to finish Top 4. Being in the EL won't help them either as it's likely they'll get to at least the semis whereas not every PL team will progress as far in the CL.
  9. Dec 31, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

From what I saw during the last three games from negativity, low in confidence, poor form from almost more than half of our squad, injuries and also bad luck, I think we will come fairly after City, Liverpool,Chelsea and I guess ( hope not ) we will have tough battle with Arsenal and Spurs on grabbing that fourth spot. If that happen it will be almost second season failure from Jose? And if so what do you think the procedures will be? My God it feels really sad these day just like those last 4 5 years terrible.
  10. Dec 31, 2017

Mo Meadows New Member

Looking back to the first page predictions and how posters were saying that the Top 3 were nailed on to just 2 weeks later and what is being said now is quite remarable.
    Just goes to show that a couple of weeks and/or a few matches can make a huge difference. Bar Man City...nothing is nailed on for any team regarding Top 4 places
  11. Dec 31, 2017

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I think its what a few of us were saying for a while now. Only Man City is safe imo in terms of finishing in the top 4.

Things change so quickly, especially over this period of the calendar.

Incidentally, I know its a 'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle kind of scenario' but if City weren't setting a frankly unique pace, it would be a very exciting race at the top of the table. Say Spurs and Arsenal won their games in hand, it would be 5 points between the 5 clubs. Much more exciting than what we have now.
  12. Dec 31, 2017

Peanut Butter Banned

Liverpool and Spurs have better attacking units. Plus both teams can also defend now.

I was positive about Utd for months but the last 3 games has knocked the stuffing out of me. We're predictable, shaky in defence, STILL don't have a best 11 and our GK has to keep us in matches time and time again.

We won't win the Top 4 trophy this season.
  13. Dec 31, 2017

footballgod New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Arsenal is on the same point as Spurs, and will be four points behind United if they win their game today, with a history of having finished in the top four more times in the past 20 years than any other team in the league, and you think they don't have a shot? Arsenal is the next sure bet to finish in the top four this season after ManCity. Chelsea will finish there too. Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs will battle for the fourth position. Please mark this comment.
  14. Dec 31, 2017

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Wanyama is coming back soon (and Alderweirald too hopefully in a month or so).

That will be huge for us. We've definitely been less stable defensively this season and a big part of that has been the loss of our spine (Wanyama and Dembele in the centre, with Dembele also struggling with injury, Alderweirald and Lloris for a bit too).
  15. Dec 31, 2017

footballgod New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Arsenal will play better team football without Sanchez who seem to be slowing down the pace of our game. We've also lost better players in the past and the team even got better, so anyone hoping that the departure of two overrated players from our team would lead to a decline is simply clutching at straws.
  16. Dec 31, 2017

footballgod New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Arsenal won't sell any of its top players in January, but no matter who is sold, the squad has enough depth to finish the season in a respectable position. We've had some consistency problems lately, dropping points against teams we should thrash, but so have all the other teams in the league except City. Managers like Wenger know how to get going when the going gets tougher.
  17. Dec 31, 2017

Rafateria Banned

Unreal, simply deluded, post. The loss of two near world class players (Sanchez and Ozil) will improve your team ? I wonder in which alternative universe that is a reality !
  18. Dec 31, 2017

LeeFunK Full Member

You just did :nervous:
  19. Dec 31, 2017

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Gun to head, this is how the season will finish:

1 - City (by around 20pts)
    2 - Chelsea
    3 - Liverpool
    4 - Spurs
    5 - Us
    6 - Arsenal
  20. Dec 31, 2017

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You won't be in the shit, as wenger will be able to keep the team going without him and he's not been that good this season anyway.

I don't see you improving though. And you need that for top 4.

When both Ozil and Sanchez go, I can see morale drop fiercely though. Particularly in the stands the knives will be out for every point dropped.
  21. Dec 31, 2017

doodle New Member

Source?
  22. Dec 31, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
  23. Dec 31, 2017

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

Ok. Marked.
  24. Dec 31, 2017

Scroto Baggins Full Member

Chelsea and Spurs may also not have to worry about CL games if they go out in this round to Barcelona and Juventus.

Id say everyone else is progressing and will have some congested fixtures if they remain in the FA Cup as well.
  25. Dec 31, 2017

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

Pretty much where I am too mate. The lads have proper upset me since the city game. I've defended them until now but I'm not having those performances against Bristol, Burnley and Southampton are down to anything other than to many players not putting in a shift.

I'm at a point after four years of this shite where I'd rather see us try and build a young team over a period of 4-5 years and accept we'd likely be out of the CL and the title race for a few more years.

I think 5th place is going to be the highest we'll finish now. Writing is on the wall once again for yet another manager.
  26. Dec 31, 2017

Peanut Butter Banned

I'd love for us to build a young side mate. Don't get me wrong I rate Pogba and Lukaku, but would love to change our 'spunk loads of cash and hope it works' model.

Our fans will demand Griezmann and other flavour of the season players though.
  27. Dec 31, 2017

United never give up Banned

Fans like you are part of this club's recent demise. Where is your fighting spirit? A few years of suffering and you're ready to accept defeat against City. NO - we must fight on, if we want the players to have a strong mentality we should too, or else our attitude will transmit to the players themselves.

This 4-5 year period will be defining for us as a club, if we let our standards drop and start accepting being out of the title race as acceptable then we will end up like Liverpool and AC Milan. Those 2 clubs used to be huge, they have 12 CL's between them, but are genuinely no longer at the very elite of world football - we cannot let this happen to us, we have to keep believing. The club needs us fans more than at any point in the last 15-20 years.
  28. Dec 31, 2017

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

Have you seen how I've defended this club on this forum over the last few years? I've been a fan for 36 years. I'm not advocating giving up, I'm advocating going back to an ethos of rebuilding over time with patience and the aim of making an amazing team consisting of players who appreciate what wearing the red shirt used to mean. Understanding that you only ever borrow the shirt and have to re-earn it every time you step onto the field wearing it.

I saw every season of Ferguson's first five years and endured, with the exception of 87/88 some of the worst football I've ever seen. I'm not going to claim I didn't have my doubts he'd ever get it right, but I could see he had instilled the right attitude in the players and that first FA Cup and title sure were sweet.

I've seen more united success than I ever dreamed possible and I'm now saying I want us to break away from the spending trillions ambitions football has descended into and go back to doing it differently.
  29. Dec 31, 2017

AXVnee7 Full Member

We have shot ourselves in the foot are now undoubtedly in the midst of a top four race, which is a shame because it's not ability that has resulted in this. There's no point sulking about it now though and the players and manager must do all everything they can to stop the immediate slump starting with tomorrow's game and get a run going again.

When we've been in a top 4 race post-Fergie we've typically been 4th or lower looking up and needing to play catch up. However this year we still have a few points over our closest rivals and we're not far off 2nd. So at least we're in a more favourable position compared to what we usually are. I'd expect us to be within touching distance of Chelsea by the end of season, if we don't finish above them.
  30. Dec 31, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Some immense overrating of others team are going while underrating united.
  31. Dec 31, 2017

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    You're desired approach is on the right track though. The problem is those of United's fans (and those running the club) who demand more of the attempted quick fix.
  32. Dec 31, 2017

soapythecat Full Member

This should be ‘race for Europa League place - 2017/8’
    I don’t see us finishing in the top 4 unless there is some top class players come in January.
  33. Dec 31, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Still think us and Chelsea for second and third, Liverpool and Spurs for 4th and 5th while first and sixth are clear like last season.
  34. Dec 31, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Matchday 21
    • Man City drew
    • Chelsea won
    • Man Utd drew
    • Liverpool won
    • Arsenal drew
    • Spurs to play MD21 on the 4th of January (MD22 for them is on the 2nd)
    [​IMG]
  35. Dec 31, 2017

Rafateria Banned

Hate to break it to you but you haven't been at the very elite of world football for quite a few years already !!
  36. Dec 31, 2017

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Arsenal and Chelsea play each other next, so if we beat Burnley and other results go our way we could be a point or two away from second.

Big if obviously.
  37. Dec 31, 2017

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
  38. Jan 1, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It's over for us. This is gonna be a massive blow. Hopefully we can now focus on the Europa League like you did last season.
  39. Jan 1, 2018

Claude Makélélé Full Member

This is weird. I don't like Tottenham much but their chance should be close to Liverpool's (only 1 loss away from 6th). Man United's number should be higher.

Chelsea's chance, yes, is high as our chance of beating Barcelona is low :D
  40. Jan 1, 2018

paulscholes18 Full Member

City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool (unless Coutinho fecks off than 5th)
    Spurs
    Us
    Arsenal