Top Four Race 2018/19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Mar 11, 2019

Mogget Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I don't know why people keeping talking about us as being in this race.

Arsenal have no chance of finishing in the top 4. Right, @SqueakyWeasel?
  2. Mar 11, 2019

Josh 76 Full Member

If we don't qualify for the champions league next season, I just hope Ole (if he is the manager) plays the youth team and reserves in the Europa league. It's about time we concentrate on the trophies that matter. Getting a bit sick of these Micky mouse cups papering over the cracks.
  3. Mar 11, 2019

lsd Full Member

Hopefully whatever our situation we will relegate Warnock there .

Would be fantastic as he still moans about our west ham game years that got his team relegated on the last day saying we never tried when we played them off the park but couldn't score
  4. Mar 11, 2019

Judas Open to offers

We've proven before that its not a must though, I don't understand people who still think like this. The CL is not a must if we miss out for one season when we're Man Utd, we've got the money to get the players in. It's not the end of the world, but it'll be a shite to be stuck in the EL again.
  5. Mar 11, 2019

deadrevelz Full Member

It's not one season though, we've missed out a few times since SAF. It builds up and can damage the clubs reputation. It may put some players off coming to us, or mean we have to pay higher wages, both of which are unhelpful.
    In the end, we are doing better than we hoped to be back in December of course, so its best to look on the bright side.
  6. Mar 11, 2019

Judas Open to offers

The majority on here wanted us to write the season off in December, so were clearly unbothered about CL football next season. But now its the end of the world if we don't get in.
  7. Mar 11, 2019

Trizy Full Member

Guess we can only hope we field an entire youth setup in the EL. We've won it before and it will only get in way of league progress.
  8. Mar 11, 2019

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Tend to agree with this. We just have to make sure we don't drop more points in the process.
  9. Mar 11, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    That's a good thing. It shows that the expectation & belief is back in a big way for you guys.
  10. Mar 11, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Having a look at the fixtures, we have Warford (H), Wolves (A), West Ham (H) and Everton (A). Win those four and I think top 4 is ours but that's a tough ask. 3 wins and a draw should put us in a strong position, if we can manage that.
  11. Mar 11, 2019

Morpheus 7 Full Member

Well done, youse are going for the double this year. Actually beating United in a season and the Wenger trophy. I still wouldn't be surprised if youse feck it with that away form.
  12. Mar 11, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

We are still in this race for top 4 and we will hopefully have everyone back fighting fit after the international break. Come on UNITED.
  13. Mar 11, 2019

SqueakyWeasel Full Member

Did I say that? No!
    Was I even talking to you (two weeks ago) when I said I "felt" Arsenal were not going to be a threat come the end of the season? No!
    Did I say I would come back and apologise to the Arsenal fan I was speaking to, after the end of the season if they did manage top 4? Yes!
    Is it the end of the season? No!

Enjoy your win … Eunai's at the wheel an' all o' that! But leave me out of it until May you troll!
  14. Mar 11, 2019

Water Melon before it dries out, eh

Even if we do not get into top 4, I am really glad to see what we have achieved with 20legend thus far. I am still amazed we knocked PSG out of CL (a flipping miracle), and I have no doubt we will progress further.
  15. Mar 11, 2019

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    It Just goes to show what a bad job Jose was doing with the most (or second most?) expensive squad in the league. Some of these players are absolutely too notch professionals. Just shocking management. And to think I was buying the BS about the players not being arsed and the club not investing enough. We have an embarrassment of riches as far as getting into the top four is concerned. It’s absolutely his fault things are so close now. We are on league winning or close to true form since ole came in. barring a meltdown we should still make top 4 with the squad we’ve got and the motivation clear for all to see. It’s really tight now but we should have been there comfortably enough anyway. I’m so glad we didn’t let Jose turn us into Inter Milan 2.0 this season. The future is bright again either way.
  16. Mar 11, 2019

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It Spurs lose to both City and Liverpool you just need to beat Chelsea and draw with City, imo.
  17. Mar 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Back to 11 points behind?
  18. Mar 11, 2019

I wish people would stop saying stupid things
  19. Mar 11, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

But they're 2 points ahead of us with only 8 or 9 games left.

How on earth can we make up 2 points????

It's not like Arsenal have won 2 of their last 11 away games in all competitions and have plenty of tricky away games left.
  20. Mar 11, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

the position I meant.
  21. Mar 11, 2019

Dash247 New Member

I was really hoping for a draw yesterday which could've put us in a really good spot going further.
    Chelsea has a game in hand and if they will that, we will be back in 6th position.

For the last 8 games, we are playing wolves, everton, and huddersfield away. Wolves could be tough game and we really have to win.
    For the home games, we are playing watford, west ham, man city, chelsea, and cardiff. I am hoping for 15 points out of this games, but realistically, we can get 12 or 13.

Arsenal: comparatively has a lot more easier fixtures. i can see them finishing 3rd behind mancity/liverpool
    Chelsea: have 2 hard away games in Liverpool and Man Utd. look very likely to drop 6-8 points.
    Spurs: have 2 hard away games in Liverpool and Man City. going by their current form, they look certain to drop 9 points.

Final League Table Prediction:
    Man City - 74 + 20 = 94
    Liverpool - 73 + 19 = 92
    Arsenal - 60 + 19 = 79
    Man Utd - 58 + 20 = 78
    Chelsea - 57 + 20 = 77
    Spurs - 61 + 15 = 76

Regardless of whether we make it into top 4 or not , one things is certain that it's going to be extremely close.
    A lot of it would also depend on how we and other progress in European and domestic cups.
  22. Mar 11, 2019

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Arsenal still have tricky games including Burnley away, a lot of people in the media talking about an easy run in. Its Arsenal though.
  23. Mar 12, 2019

Wanderlust_09 New Member

It'd be such an anti-climax if we do not make it to the top four after having worked really hard to get back to this position from a stage of having the season being written off.
    We have some really tricky fixtures coming up and we cannot afford to have any more slip-ups. It is certainly going to go down the wire till the last week.
    Even if we finish outside of top four, PL has to be the priority no two ways about it. We were incredibly lucky with the opponents we got during our EL win.
  24. Mar 12, 2019

peridigm Full Member

Need to get that GD up. Could come down to that.
  25. Mar 12, 2019

MDFC Manager Full Member

Thanks for this too, Jose.
  26. Mar 12, 2019

Foxtrot New Member

Supports:
    Die Mannschaft
    This fecking shit nonsense again. Plse feck off and go support pool or spurs.
  27. Mar 12, 2019

AgentP Full Member

It's going to be really tight. It might go down to the last day. We have to make sure that we keep winning to keep the pressure on the others.
  28. Mar 12, 2019

ThierryFabregas New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    You need to look at that away record in context. Because the losses and draws away from home came:

A) At top 6 clubs - so if you take those away you're looking at 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses
    B) During an injury crisis when Mustafi was starting, the player typically most culpable for us conceeding.

If Arsenal can keep players fit, specifically Kosceilny and Sokratis then they should get the points away from home to get top 4.
  29. Mar 12, 2019

Havak Pokemon master

Probably a pointless exercise, but average points for the teams could be something to look at.

Spurs are getting 2.033 points per game under Poch, so they'll be looking at 76, maybe 77 on current form.
    Arsenal are getting exactly 2 points per game under Unai, so their expected final points tally would be 76.
    Man Utd is arguably different, as while it's a smaller pool of games you have to look at their record under Ole which is 2.46 per game. This means we could be looking at getting 20 our of the remaining 24... So, expected final points tally of 78.
    Chelsea have a game in hand so it's a bit skewed, but you'd expect them to be similar to Arsenal. Currently getting almost 2 points per game so it's likely that they will get to the 75-76 mark also.

I said in a previous post that 74-78 is what the teams will have to be looking at to finish in the top four this term. If a team can go on a run and get six wins out of the final eight games, they will definitely finish in the top four (maybe even be the team to finish 3rd). I'd argue that our form under Ole is enough to think we're the team most capable of hitting that run. Tottenham playing Liverpool and City away makes me think it will be incredibly difficult to get six wins despite some favourable Home fixtures.

This will be one of the closest top four races ever. I would put money on none of the four involved getting to the 80 Point mark and all of the four involved getting a good way over 70. I'm actually thinking they'll be a maximum of 6 Points between 3rd and 6th and the order could literally be anything.
  30. Mar 12, 2019

Vadim Full Member

Are you related to Santi Mesut Alexis?
  31. Mar 12, 2019

Mr H Full Member

Chelsea's game in hand is what's gonna make the difference for them really. We will have to beat them at home, draw or lose that and Top 4 is gone.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  32. Mar 12, 2019

RobinLFC Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'd say that's extremely optimistic regarding United's results. Assuming City at home is one of your two draws, this would leave you with games @ Wolves, @ Everton, vs Chelsea, ... You can only afford to drop points in one other game and win all other games. I'd say you lose vs City, draw @ Wolves, and drop points in one more game along the way. That would leave you with 5 W - 1 L - 2 D for example and a 17/24, total points tally of 75. That could be enough if your opponents keep struggling like they have been.

With a 20/24 and 78 points you're nailed on for 3th imo but with a game against City and some other tough ones in there, that would be one hell of a return from your last 8 games (with FA Cup & CL duties mixed in as well).
  33. Mar 12, 2019

Vadim Full Member

What is Chelsea’s game in hand? Away at Everton?
  34. Mar 12, 2019

Mr H Full Member

Home to Brighton, sadly.
  35. Mar 12, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Arsenal's 5 wins away are against: Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Fulham, Newcastle and Cardiff. That's the 3 worst sides in the league, 1 just above relegation and a 1 solid mid table team though one who probably suits Arsenal (in trying to play good stuff most of the time).
    They might get it, I'm just saying I wouldnt say it's an easy fixture list, because away to Leicester, Wolves, Watford and Everton are always tough games, while Palace have one of the best away records in the league and Burnley in a relegation scrap at home is always tricky. Theres 6 potential games from that run who you could all see picking up something. Of course, Arsenal will win some of those, but winning half (and the 2 you would expect) and losing 2, drawing 1 leaves them on 76 points. 16 points is still a decent return I'd say from that set and right on their current pace, yet it's basically the exact same pointage id guess the other 3 all get to as well. Could well come down to goal difference.
  36. Mar 12, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Doesnt so much matter, they have enough tricky fixtures in there especially United and Liverpool away to mean they'll drop enough points somewhere down the line.
  37. Mar 12, 2019

Trizy Full Member

It would certainly feel like an anti-climax and would seem to take away from the brilliant job all involved have done so far. It would be such a bitter sweet to make up all that ground just to lose out by a point or two.
  38. Mar 12, 2019

dmode Full Member

I don't care if we are top four provided we win CL, which is still very much possible imho, don't forget that!
  39. Mar 12, 2019

Technically no it isn't as I've said before

They play this weekend while us, Arsenal and Spurs do not, so as of Sunday evening we'll all have played the same number of games.

Their game this weekend, away to Everton....
  40. Mar 12, 2019

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    I think top 4 will be decided on the last day of the season,it's just too close to call.