Top Four Race 2018/19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2019

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Yes, prior to that title win you struggled to make top 10 and the season after you finished 5th. This season is not anomaly. You got more than 75 points 3 times out of 8 since 2010, let’s not pretend like getting to around 75 is somehow way below par for you and ‘arguably one of the worst seasons of recent times’. 2 out of the last 3 seasons were worse than this, and prior to that 3 of the previous 4 were worse or comparable.
  2. Apr 9, 2019

RonaldoVII Full Member

Kane hobbles off with another ankle injury. Potentially his season over? Would be a blow to Tottenham's top 4 chances.
  3. Apr 9, 2019

PoTMS Full Member

They played better without Kane. Won more or less every game with him out since the United defeat in January.
  4. Apr 9, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Huge blow for sure. They did alright last time without him in terms of results but those runs never continue, and they have a few rough fixtures left. Depends on how long hes gone for of course, and I'd guess they still make it but who knows.
  5. Apr 9, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Que narrow wins with goals from Alli, Son and Eriksen as per the norm
  6. Apr 13, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Very tough to predict now.

Spurs have got over their slump and should be o.k now with what they have left. Started very well at their new ground and have plenty of home fixtures left.

Man. United scraped a win and their performances have certainly dipped over last six weeks. Very easy last two games though. Think the key is whether they will win at Goodison. If they draw there, lose v Man. City then Chelsea is last chance saloon game.

Chelsea out of nowhere suddenly in a good position although tough away games remain. Point would be huge for them at Anfield. Also got europa as great fall back option.

Arsenal still got a good chance but they need to pull their finger out away from home. Were dismal at Everton. Should still be capable of at least 10 more points with fixtures left e.g. two home wins and 4 points away.
  7. Apr 13, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

I'd be surprised if we made top 4.

We've lost 4 of the last 6 and you could argue the 2 games we didn't lose were our worst performances.
  8. Apr 13, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    If you rouse yourself to win at Goodison them minimum you'll finish on would be 73 points as you'll beat Cardiff and Huddersfield playing with just 7 players.

Wouldn't be far away with that points total although GD could be a killer.
  9. Apr 13, 2019

Jacob Full Member

Need minimum 5p from Everton (A), City (H) and Chelsea (H).

Cardiff and Huddersfield should be easy.
  10. Apr 13, 2019

NYAS Full Member

We should have won at Wolves (league) and Arsenal. And one of those games was against Barcelona.

Don’t get sucked into it, mate.
  11. Apr 13, 2019

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

It is still open, but we played so bad today. I can see us dropping points even against Huddersfield if we keep playing like this.
    I am pretty sure Spurs will get it though. Then it is one more spot.

Arsenal should get it, but can see them dropping points too.

I think the key for us is to beat City. If we do that then we will get enough momentum to beat Chelsea too and with those two wins we should be able to get it if Arsenal drop some points away from home.
  12. Apr 13, 2019

dove Full Member

And should have lost against Watford and today. Not sure what are you trying to say.
  13. Apr 13, 2019

That's my point though, the two games we won we were shite in.

We deserved something away to Wolves in the League Arsenal and Barcelona.
  14. Apr 13, 2019

Yeah it is strange really. I think particular against wolves we played bloody good football. Against Arsenal too at times.

Better away from home really and against stronger teams.

Still I think City will carve us open unless we play a bit smarter and more tactical against them since they are that good. Hard work, fighting and counter attacks might not be enough against them.
  15. Apr 13, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

I'm 100% certain our season is over on Tuesday night. We're not getting top 4 based on current performances. There's not enough belief or cutting edge in front of goal. It's a shit show up there.
  16. Apr 13, 2019

ManRed Full Member

Probably wait till next weekend, if we can get a result at Everton then still have a chance + will be playing one game a week.
  17. Apr 13, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Ah worry about top 4, who cares about lack of idea and vision behind our football, as long we get into CL, where we score one goal at home whole season.
  18. Apr 13, 2019

NYAS Full Member

My point is that the ‘lost 4 out of 6’ stat doesn’t tell the whole story of the teams we’ve played in that run and how many of those subpar performances have come after an international break/European game, etc. With our squad things like that could explain the performances.

I’d say the Wolves league game, Arsenal and Barcelona were good performances. Watford and West Ham we were sub-par. The only truly shite performance was Wolves in the cup, that was disgusting.

When you look at it like that I certainly wouldn’t say that suggests a failure to make top 4. Of course we could not have enough in the end but it’s hardly time to get pessimistic about it now. We’re going through an iffy patch performance-wise but that doesn’t mean we should ignore all the good that came before it and there’s no reason why we can’t go back to that before the season ends.
  19. Apr 13, 2019

I get your point and it's a perfectly valid one.

But I can't see how today's performance was only sub par, I thought we were absolutely dreadful. As bad as we've seen all season.

Of course I'm not saying top 4 is gone. I think Spurs will get top 3 but Arsenal and Chelsea will certainly drop points, we just have to take advantage.
  20. Apr 13, 2019

NYAS Full Member

We have a mentality problem when it comes to playing at home. Complacency or nerves. Either way Ole needs to sort it out before next season starts.
  21. Apr 13, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

We won't make it. Our players are a disgrace.
  22. Apr 14, 2019

Raw Full Member

Our chances are looking slightly better now at least. We still absolutely have to beat Everton and Chelsea though.
  23. Apr 14, 2019

AgentP Full Member

Spurs have two away games against City. We all want them to win one of those(CL) and lose the other. But Spurs being Spurs might end up doing the opposite.
  24. Apr 14, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Really do think Arsenal will drop points tomorrow.
  25. Apr 14, 2019

AgentP Full Member

Yes. If we win these two, even a loss to City won't affect us getting top 4.
  26. Apr 14, 2019

Irwin99 Full Member

Arsenal and Chelsea will almost certainly be in Europa league for the next round so that could be a factor. It'll be good if Spurs and United win in the champions league which will all 4 teams will be on an even playing field in terms of fatigue.
  27. Apr 14, 2019

AgentP Full Member

It's an away game. You are probably right. The Napoli game will also be on their mind.
  28. Apr 14, 2019

ZolaWasMagic New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    me too, theyre poor away and Watford arent exactly bad.

The next week will be crucial too. I think Spurs drop points on the weekend, Arsenal tomorrow, fancy utd to draw or sneak past everton away and hope we can do Burnley home
  29. Apr 14, 2019

haram Full Member

Beat Chelsea and we should be ok.
  30. Apr 14, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

We're in a good position once again. One game in hand on Chelsea and Arsenal to get beaten tomorrow.
  31. Apr 14, 2019

RedNed77 Full Member

Same, and tomorrow is the most easily winnable of their remaining away fixtures. I can’t see Arsenal making top 4 with their away form.
  32. Apr 14, 2019

It will though unless Arsenal drops a lot of points. If we get draw against City then they need 1 defeat and one draw minimum.

If Arsenal beat Watford tomorrow then we need to beat City. If Watford win then a draw against City should be enough. A draw for Arsenal and I feel even a draw against City might not be enough.
  33. Apr 14, 2019

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

Agreed.

For the sixth time in eight seasons, we will be out of the top 4 I'd predict.

Bit harsh. It's not really their fault that the squad is a collection of poor to average talent.

If you mean they are disgracefully untalented, then I'd agree yeah.
  34. Apr 14, 2019

AgentP Full Member

I'm expecting Arsenal to lose atleast 2 away games based on their away form so far. Watford, Leicester, Wolves and Burnley away still left I think.
  35. Apr 14, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Saw this on reddit. Chelsea's away form in 2019.

[​IMG]

Those are two very tough away fixtures as well. Can definitely see them dropping more points.
  36. Apr 14, 2019

Irwin99 Full Member

Arsenal and Chelsea being in the Europa league might be a factor. They could mess up the top 4 race but still have a very good chance of being in the CL next year.
  37. Apr 14, 2019

Mike Smalling New Member

Looking at the table and the remaining games, I feel like we are in with a chance... then I remember our recent performances in the league. We were incredibly lucky againts West Ham, and with that type of performance we won't bring any points home from Goodison.

If Arsenal drop points tomorrow and we get a convincing win against Everton, I may get my hopes up.
  38. Apr 14, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

They can't both win the Europa.
  39. Apr 14, 2019

AJ10 Full Member

Even if we lose to city, getting into CL position is in our hands, Beat Everton then Chelsea (take them out of race) then win the last 2 games as i see Arsenal dropping points with their away form.

Now.........We just need to get our act together, easier said than done, sadly.
  40. Apr 14, 2019

Treble Full Member

We are unpredictable. Could win or lose all of the next 3.