Torres to Chelsea

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by RonaldoVII, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2012

Brophs The one and only

There's nothing to suggest he'd be any better for us. A lot of what made him great was down to his physical attributes and from what I've seen those seem to have deserted him. At the moment he's just a name. All of our four main strikers are better than him.
  2. Feb 18, 2012

bsc Full Member

At present, for definite. No doubt about that.

18 months ago, most strikers in the country were better than Rooney.
  3. Feb 18, 2012

Badunk Full Member

He needs to leave England altogether imo. A fresh start in Spain or France would be his best chance of coming back into form. He's too scared here.
  4. Feb 18, 2012

Brophs The one and only

There'll probably be a team willing to pay £20m for him, but it won't be one of the top English teams, I don't see either of the top two in Spain being interested so that probably leaves an Italian club or someone like Malaga or PSG.
  5. Feb 18, 2012

Guy Incognito Full Member

Probably around 2008. Form started to wane after Liverpool got eliminated from the Champions League groups.
  6. Feb 18, 2012

IL_DUCE Full Member

The history of Manchester encompasses its change f
    We all know to what extent lack of form, confidence and well-being reduces a footballers contribution on the pitch- especially when combined with high expectations.

Torres do have world-class qualities. I think however he is struggling with all the above mentioned factors and that this is affecting him negatively. I'm sure that TORRES will be back, and will not mind if this takes place in a red football kit.
  7. Feb 18, 2012

lysglimt Full Member

Some interesting stats:

Robert Rosario 39 matches 5 goals (in the P.L)
    Robert Fleck 40 matches 3 goals (in the P.L)
    Gary Birtles 58 matches 11 goals (for United)
    Fernando Torres 46 matches 5 goals (all competitions for Chelsea)

So he is better than Fleck - but not as good as Birtles and Rosario....
  8. Feb 18, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I think that while you're right that these factors are having a negative effect on Torres, it's a lot simpler than that. Whatever way you want to look at it, he doesn't have the ability as a footballer that he once had when he was at Liverpool.

I'm sure that he'll imrpove sometime, whether it's with Chelsea or not, but I can't see us ever seeing the Torres of old that could score 25+ in a season where he was mostly fit, and was one of the most feared strikers in the whole of Europe.
  9. Feb 18, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

Let's be honest, a team would take him now because of the name Torres, because they'd hope they can turn him back to the striker he once was a few years ago.

Could it happen at United? We're not 100%. Under the guidance of Sir Alex Ferguson, and the type of football we play, I'd like to think we could get him scoring again.

He'll never come to us though.
  10. Feb 18, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

He is a much better player in a 4-4-2 formation.
  11. Feb 18, 2012

bsc Full Member

Interestingly Saha is the same. Last week for Spurs with another striker beside him looked completely rejuvenated. Maybe psychological?

He didn't really look comfortable at Everton being the only striker and almost demanded to deliver goals given their poor return.
  12. Feb 18, 2012

Wittmann45 Full Member

But didn't he play his best football as a lone striker with Gerrard as the furthest advanced midfielder?
  13. Feb 18, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Indeed, and he always looked a bit out of place in Spain alongside Villa with both of them looking at their best when the other wasn't playing. From what I remember he played up top on his own at Atletico too, so really the only time he played in a front two consistently and his international record is pretty poor.
  14. Feb 18, 2012

OneUnited24 Full Member

TBH i thought he was at his best in a 442 (Gerrard as a AMF is the same as a SS imo)
  15. Feb 18, 2012

Justin Full Member

And Shevchenko was something like 9 goal in 47 games, so he needs 4 in the next game just to equal that.
  16. Feb 18, 2012

Sewelly The Geordie Full Member

Physical attributes have deserted him and mentally he's crushed. I think it's more the former though, doesn't appear to have the tools to adapt his game either.
  17. Feb 19, 2012

LoveInTheAsylum Full Member

reasonably interesting article on his slump by the financial times. some excerpts:

The tragedy of Fernando Torres - FT.com
    I personally agree with it being a mixture of physical and mental. Kaka is the only recent player I can liken it to. Players like Torres and Kaka made their reputations as dynamic players, Torres was a goalscorer, all about explosive play, his directness, his extra yard of pace. His body broke down and he didn't take the time needed to properly recover. Players who are so direct in their play really struggle when they can no longer rely on the peak physicality that made them such incredible players. Torres has never been a great footballer. English needs a word for that, it's not about how effective you are whilst on the ball - Torres and Kaka were incredibly effective footballers, their every touch took them towards goal - but it's about how a player reads the game, how they interact with teammates, the ball and space. Torres has not had such great ability to fall back on and so is finding it really difficult to adapt (as someone like Giggs was able to). Instead that doubt in his mind when it comes to the physical side has likely turned into more and more pressure, like with Kaka a big transfer came with so much expectation.

Torres is obviously not as bad a player as he looks now (I think the style of play at Chelsea does come into it slightly) and someone like Kaka has managed to recover pretty well. But I doubt that Torres will ever again be the player he was.
  18. Feb 19, 2012

IL_DUCE Full Member

The history of Manchester encompasses its change f
    We can only speculate on his future. I am however in no doubt that he has the necessary abilities to once again emerge as a world class striker. The question is whether he has the mental strength IMO. I see a passion and determination in him that makes this very likely....
  19. Feb 19, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    IMO Chelsea's set up currently is just so wrong for him. Then have no winger who support him in the box and they have no midfielder who offers support in the box from deep consistently for him to play with 1-2 's as he runs into space. That lack of support coupled with his obvious loss of confidence is making the crisis of no goals stretch on and on.
  20. Feb 19, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Yes. At Chelsea he lacks that type of support from his midfield.
  21. Feb 21, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

22. Feb 21, 2012

Brophs The one and only

23. Feb 21, 2012

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

2 goals down away in Europe and Chelsea make their final 2 subs with 20 mins to go, Torres isn't one of them.

Working out well for him then.
  24. Feb 21, 2012

Danny1982 Full Member

Fernando Torres (Chelsea/total): 47 appearances, 5 goals.
    Nemanja Vidic (2010-2011 season): 47 appearances, 5 goals.

Would SAF sub in Vidic if we were behind?
  25. Feb 21, 2012

Guy Incognito Full Member

But, but, but...I thought he was the future and Drogba the past?
  26. Feb 21, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Apparently as its pancake day AVB agreed to let his biggest tosser have the night off
  27. Feb 22, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

28. Feb 22, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

:lol:
  29. Feb 22, 2012

IBleedRed likes to use pantyhose

:lol:
  30. Feb 22, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    why would.sb waste their time to make it,, oh feck it :lol:
  31. Feb 22, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I think we can finally conclude that injuries have ruined a once great player, and it's also gotten into his head and caused him to become completely useless.

Should remind us all of how hard it is to change your game and how amazing Giggs is for doing it twice, once to adjust for persistent hamstring injuries and again when he became a central midfielder.

Though Torres in defense couldn't be any worse than Sideshow Bob.
  32. Feb 22, 2012

King_Eric Full Member

[​IMG]
  33. Feb 22, 2012

Danny1982 Full Member

:lol::lol::lol:
  34. Feb 23, 2012

sajeev Full Member

in the form he is in, it is still just 'might'. The ball could end up going behind where he hit if from, ala O'Shea in the Carling Cup match against West Ham last season
  35. Feb 23, 2012

Wittmann45 Full Member

Should also remind us of Saha. He was once a perfect player for our system, but injuries not only ruined him physically, but mentally as well. I remember an interview he did after he left for Everton where he mentioned that injuries really affected his confidence and forced him to leave the club. It was a damn shame because Louis was a great fit when fit, which wasn't all that often...
  36. Feb 23, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Is it injuries though? His ability still looks top notch to me. He still looks like someone who can destroy defenders but his decision making fecks it up somehow.

My memory is really failing me but I seem to remember him doing really well tobmakd space for an easy finish in the game against us at the bridge only to complicate things too much trying another dummy and missing. Am I right?

That kind of thing sums him up right now. It's a bit like the game at ot where he actually played pretty well, scored a goal as well and maneuvered well to have an empty net before him but missed. He's just finding ways to feck things up right now, even when he does something good.

Anyone aware of any personal problems? He's too talented for this.
  37. Feb 24, 2012

jojojo Full Member

Convinced there's a logical explanation ;-)
    He's been dropped from the Spanish squad for the midweek friendly. Left out for the first time since 2006. Del Bosque says, "It hurts to drop him," but that it wouldn't be fair to Soldada and the others to keep him in.
  38. Feb 24, 2012

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

I think its a fair decision. Unless they had no one due to injuries, Torres is down the pecking order.
  39. Feb 24, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Not surprised to see him out of the Spain squad at all. Del Bosque deserves credit for having the guts to be able to drop a big name who doesn't deserve to be there. Players like Soldado have been so much better than him recently. If he had been picked, then he would've been going based on reputation alone.
  40. Mar 5, 2012

gormless Full Member

Averaging 2.5 goals per manager :lol: