Transfer window closing earlier in England.

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by SAred, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aug 7, 2018

SAred Full Member

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
    Surely this decision has to be a mistake by the clubs and the FA. Especially seeing that other countries transfer windows close month end. What where the clubs and FA thinking.
  2. Aug 7, 2018

Jinn Full Member

It was a brainfart of an idea.
    I think there was a vote and the majority voted for the idea. UTD apparently voted against.
  3. Aug 7, 2018

SAred Full Member

So great news with our best player having 3 more weeks for Barca to turn his head and no replacement. What where they thinking.
  4. Aug 7, 2018

Trizy New Member

Bit shit for PL clubs if it comes to losing a player after the window closes. Even more shit doing it on a world cup year.
  5. Aug 7, 2018

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

It is the correct decision, with the only addition being you cannot sell players to other leagues after this date. Personally, I liked the old system where clubs could sign players throughout the season, which stopped all these panic buys. If though we have to have artificial limits, it is better they are in place before the season starts.
  6. Aug 7, 2018

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

It does seem to put English clubs at a disadvantage.

I think it was designed to help the “smaller” Premier League clubs so that they know what squad they’re going into the season with. But I’m not sure it really even does that - e.g. you could imagine a situation where we buy Maguire on deadline day, then suddenly Leicester are left scrambling for any old CB or facing half a season without one.
  7. Aug 7, 2018

littlepeasoup Full Member

You do realise that the club do have to accept a bid before that happens, right? Which is just not going to happen. Simmer down.
  8. Aug 7, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

It was a ridiculous decision from day 1, and I’m at least glad United voted against it.

The only way this could ever work is if all the leagues adopted it. English football doesn’t exist in a sphere by itself, so much transfer business is done with clubs outside of England that it is insane to limit the clubs like this.

I seriously hope this decision becomes rescinded next year.
  9. Aug 7, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    A brexit level stupid decision by the country that brought you er.... brexit
  10. Aug 7, 2018

Jinn Full Member

Yep, on with the show....more drama till september
  11. Aug 7, 2018

stu_1992 Full Member

I like the idea to have squads settled before the start of the season, but it hasn't worked in practice. Not least because the other leagues still have open transfer windows so can still come in for our players. The obvious other thing is that it really hasn't worked out in a World Cup year. Too much to do in too little time. Doesn't work at the very top level.
  12. Aug 7, 2018

Ace of Spades Full Member

It was a stupid idea, as it helps no one. It would help a bit if the clubs were not allowed to sell as well. Now, clubs may lose players but won't be able to sign replacements.
  13. Aug 7, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

If you're being kind you'd say it was a brave decision to put the choice in the hands of clubs and carry through their democratically-chosen verdict, and personally I like the idea of the window being closed before play begins so everyone knows where they stand from the first game onwards.

However to do it unilaterally was crazy, and I wonder were the likes of us and Chelsea to lose important players after our window shuts could there be possible challenges, legal or otherwise, in the offing against the PL?
  14. Aug 7, 2018

SAred Full Member

I do release that but Paul got in a little hissy fit last season and was dropped for Scott. Now what is he going to be playing like if we decide to refuse an offer when he could of been playing in Barcelona. Its pointless to keep a player that does not want to be here especially a French one.
  15. Aug 7, 2018

DesiBD Full Member

I think the English clubs expected the rest of Europe to follow suit. They didn't, so it looks questionable now, especially in a WC year.
  16. Aug 7, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Monumentally moronic decision, compounded by introducing it right after a World Cup. No surprise Liverpool voted in favour of it.
  17. Aug 7, 2018

Reynoldo Full Member

They really must have as without this it was an idiotic decision to handicap the PL against the rest of Europe.

If they really wanted to do something to stop the lower PL teams losing players after the season started then it should have just been an internal PL transfer window closing before the season started and let the clubs deal with the rest of Europe as before.
  18. Aug 7, 2018

NoLogo Full Member

I think the idea is actually good but it should be applied to all leagues in UEFA, not just the PL. The way it is right now leaves English teams with way less time to conduct their business. Maybe they will adapt in the coming seasons and try and acquire their targets before the window even opens like Liverpool basically did.
  19. Aug 7, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

It's a good idea in theory however

1- implementing it during a WC year was a massive oversight
    2- non English clubs shouldn't still be able to bid for our players once our window has shut. Barca's Pogba interest a prime reason why as while you would hope Thursday would see an end to the rumours it actually wont until August 31st
  20. Aug 7, 2018

Castia Full Member

Huge mistake that is becoming evident to all the PL clubs, we’re hamstringing ourselves for no reason.

If it was implemented all over Europe at the same time it could work but now the English clubs are at a disadvantage.
  21. Aug 7, 2018

littlepeasoup Full Member

We've already allegedly refused an offer. I think he'll play just fine, but you're the expert.
  22. Aug 7, 2018

tonnas New Member

Utd wont sell simple as that!
  23. Aug 7, 2018

Jacob Full Member

It's not an issue. Next season we will look back at the change with positivity. It's human nature to resist change, even though it may be for the good. Stop selling from season start as well.
  24. Aug 7, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Yeah but the only way to avoid that is to convince other leagues to follow the English example. There is no way to legislate for that unilaterally from England.
  25. Aug 7, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Transfer Windows should be a two-way street. No registering new players outside of the window, but no releasing of players either. Beyond the window, your squad is final for both ins and outs. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, the rest of Europe can unsettle Premier League players and these clubs have no opportunity to sell and get a replacement. Sure, they can refuse bids, but that doesn't stop a pissed off player from being pissed off.

And to do it it for the first time in a World Cup year was stupid too.

It would be beneficial if European football was completely in sync with its league structures and transfer windows, but that that seems too sensible.
  26. Aug 7, 2018

Ballache Full Member

Can't they just extend the window? I don't know the logistics behind it, so it may not be possible.
  27. Aug 7, 2018

sparx99 Full Member

Why? How does it negatively impact English clubs?
  28. Aug 7, 2018

crossy1686 Full Member

If I've learned anything about this country over the last couple of years, it's that Democracy doesn't work here.
  29. Aug 7, 2018

stepic Full Member

hopefully Europe will follow suit in time. in principle having the window shut when the league starts makes a lot of sense. United aren't going to sell anyone after the season starts anyway, unless its a player that doesn't need replacing.
  30. Aug 7, 2018

SER19 Full Member

This could be put to bed with a single tweet by Pogba. Detest players who happily flirt away with other clubs
  31. Aug 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Other leagues won't follow our decision, because they know it is a ridiculously silly decision, which can put all clubs of that country at a disadvantage.
    Basically, the FA have handicapped English clubs.
    This would the equivalent of an athlete, putting a self imposed ban on himself, that he won't ever drink water, after a certain time of day. Meanwhile his competitors are allowed to drink water at any time of day, they please. It's going to have negative consequences, at some point and nobody would be foolish enough to self impose a rule which pots them at a disadvantage.
  32. Aug 7, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Surely this subject has been done to death already?
  33. Aug 7, 2018

sparx99 Full Member

That still happens when the deadline is 31st August.

The idea of the shortened window was to try to ensure the teams play against an equal squad. The alternative we've had before is like the season when Utd beat Arsenal 8-2 then two weeks later Arsenal signed 5-6 players and everyone else had to face a more difficult Arsenal team. Obviously, injuries/suspensions/form all play a role but this was meant to remove an additional variable.
  34. Aug 7, 2018

Dutsey New Member

I think people are being selfish as it is not all about the Premier League - there are another 72 league clubs who this will be a benefit for.

If a club doesnt want to sell a player say no - whats so difficult?
  35. Aug 7, 2018

Camilo Full Member

Exactly, it doesn't. No clubs will be selling first team players after the window closes - not one single club. It just won't happen.

I think it's a great thing having the window closed before the start of play. I don't really care what the rest of Europe are up to, because the English market effectively closes for them next week too.
  36. Aug 7, 2018

Cantona's Collar Full Member

Not sure why anyone would expect the rest of Europe to fall in line with the Premier League on this one. Most of the other major leagues start later than ours, why the hell would they decide to shut their transfer windows a week to 2 weeks before their season starts? It's madness to expect them to do so.
  37. Aug 7, 2018

Bastian Full Member

That's a bit contradictory. It is difficult for smaller clubs to block transfers of their best players when bigger clubs come calling, which I thought was the point you were making in the first sentence.

Maybe this rule could be applied to all the leagues bar the Prem. Same as the Brexit, it needs a re-vote :D
  38. Aug 7, 2018

sparx99 Full Member

All of the clubs in Europe must know though that English clubs will just say no. None of them lack the funds to stave off an offer. The prime example is Coutinho. Liverpool refused last summer and a deal was done in January.

The only counter to this is that an unscrupulous owner like Mike Ashley would potentially sabotage his own club for a big offer. However, people keep arguing it reduces an English clubs bargaining power when the reverse is true.

You want to buy my player after the window has closed and I can't replace him then I would demand a premium on top of what we may call fair value.
  39. Aug 7, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Just remove the window completely and we won’t have this pressure cooker sales environment every summer
  40. Aug 7, 2018

Murray3007 Full Member

not really sure what the problem is if honest, I would prob close it the 1st of Aug gives the squads chance to work with each other, every team has had plenty chance to do there business, has it affected Liverpool ? as for losing players after the window shuts its quite simple really just reject the offer. just seems to be another excuse from teams who have failed badly in the market.