UEFA Nations League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Santos J, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Oct 11, 2017

Santos J Full Member

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/newsid=2508466.html

[​IMG]

2. Oct 11, 2017

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    is this an April fools joke or something?

so where will this fit in with Champions League and stuff like that, players play enough already without some trumped up UEFA crap on top, clubs are gonna love this.

edit: is this under21's?
  3. Oct 11, 2017

Hullyback Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    First thing I thought, sounds like something made up and convuluted to be genuine.

Which means it probably is.
  4. Oct 11, 2017

Ballache Full Member

What's this?
  5. Oct 11, 2017

Hullyback Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    There's colour everywhere.
  6. Oct 11, 2017

KranjskaKlobasa New Member

Replacement for international friendlies and pre-lude to WC / EC qualifications.
  7. Oct 11, 2017

Santos J Full Member

Nope not U21's. It's instead of the shite pointless friendlies we get but yeah it's a confusing explanation.
  8. Oct 11, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Sounds interesting to me, better than meaningless friendlies and I for one love watching Ireland play. Does this affect Euros/WC qualifiers in anyway? I thought they said before that teams could qualify through this.
  9. Oct 11, 2017

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Won’t make a single difference to the current structure. This concept is just replacing those pointless friendlies.
  10. Oct 11, 2017

4 teams that don’t qualify through the regular qualifiers will make it via Nations League playoffs.
  11. Oct 11, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

It's an excellent idea, they are replacing friendlies with this.
  12. Oct 11, 2017

MannyB Grammar Police

I quite like it. The current format is a crock of shite and something needed to change.

Also helps the minnows too. There's absolutely no point them showing up against France, Spain and Germany defending for their lives. Thats just a waste of time for all involved and they'd be better off having games against equivalent opposition.
  13. Oct 11, 2017

Castia Full Member

Ffs another competition to break up club football. I bet clubs aren’t pleased with this, the players have enough games to play without this shit.

It’s a minimum 6 games over a 3 month period right?
  14. Oct 11, 2017

They won’t be playing any more games than what they currently are.
  15. Oct 11, 2017

So will the normal qualifiers playoffs be eliminated then? Who makes it to the Nations League playoffs?
  16. Oct 11, 2017

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Seems like a really good idea when it comes to replacing pointless friendlies. The play off idea though for Euro qualifiers seems a bit confusing though.
  17. Oct 11, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    So we fail to qualify for 2 tournaments, are like number 213401 on the world ranking, yet in this we end up in group A. Seems legit..
  18. Oct 11, 2017

Kostur Full Member

Yeah was wondering the same, what the feck are you guys doing up there.
  19. Oct 11, 2017

Ralaks Full Member

Yes, the top two from each group will automatically qualify now. Instead of the normal playoff, a new nations league playoff, will be held in March 2020 for teams which have not qualified directly as a top 2 team from the regular 10 groups.

4 teams from each of the different leagues that have not qualified will meet in playoffs based on leagues;

1 spot for teams from league A, 1 from B, 1 from C and 1 from D, which gives a bigger chance for the smaller nations to have one representative I guess. If most or all teams from say league A have qualified teams from the next highest league will replace them in the playoffs. I think this is kinda interesting to be honest.

The only teams with more international games than previous years are the ones going to playoffs in March, and that is even when there is a normal break anyway.
  20. Oct 11, 2017

Precaution Full Member

I hit Roy once. got up so I couldn't hit him hard
    I guess this is to just break up the monotonous joy of International Friendlies but unless Countries or rather players take it as seriously as say a World Cup, it's not going to be any better than a friendly, you may end up "winning" a trophy out of it.
  21. Oct 11, 2017

Ralaks Full Member

Thinking about the system actually it's pretty fecking dumb in some ways. A guaranteed euro spot for a team in the worst league would mean there would be incentive for teams to lose games to end up in the lower leagues for easier euro access. Interesting, but dumb.
  22. Oct 11, 2017

Well this is a divisional league system with promotion/relegation and for a few countries an alternative way to qualify for the Euros. These games will also count towards the UEFA country coefficients that determine seedings, pots etc. which friendlies don’t. Players/countries will simply just have to take it seriously.
  23. Oct 11, 2017

That's the bit I find confusing! If you're a middling country in League C, you may as well go down to League D as you have a better chance there for qualifying for the Euros.
  24. Oct 11, 2017

MannyB Grammar Police

Where does it say that?
  25. Oct 11, 2017

GazTheLegend Full Member

Anybody who plays football manager already knows about this tournament and what it’s all about.

It’s so weird. You have 3 teams in one of 4 divisions who play each other home and away, then get through to a “semi final” against one of the other 3 winning teams.
  26. Oct 11, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Oh that's what that is? I thought it was a glitch.
  27. Oct 11, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Seems like it will make international football more interesting, if only we could get rid of the one of the two international breaks at the beginning of the season.
  28. Oct 11, 2017

GazTheLegend Full Member

It’s an actual real thing, replacing friendly matches I spose
  29. Oct 11, 2017

Ralaks Full Member

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2191279.html?redirectFromOrg=true

So 4 play-offs - one for each league, with the 4 best, non-qualified teams participating.
  30. Oct 11, 2017

I doubt any country or federation with a bit of self-respect would even consider that. Besides your coefficiants will take a serious beating and you’ll at best qualify as worst seed and end up in a terrible group. These particular coefficiants will count for the next 3-4 years and you’ll continue to be poorly seeded in the following WC/Euro qualifiers. That’s no smart way to run a federation.

I’m from a ‘middling country in league C’ and I’d much rather we kick ass in that league and somehow find a way to establish us in league B rather than deliberately going down to league D.
  31. Oct 11, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Yeah seems better than friendlies, but when I took over France in FM I didn't know what it was, thought the game was broken when all my games were against Italy and Portugal with no Euro or WC qualifying lol
  32. Oct 11, 2017

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    High five, UEFA!
  33. Oct 11, 2017

That's the "ideal" way of looking at it but it doesn't really always pan out.

Also, only the top team from each group qualify. If you are a country who has never played in a major tournament and end up losing your first two matches in the Nations League, there is no incentive then to perform. Coefficiants mean bugger all if you were never going to qualify to begin with.

It's also a bit unfair as it means qualification to the Euros are not at an equal footing. In your case it will be far annoying if Norway couldn't qualify as they did nothing of note but Macedonia was able to by winning League D. Think the tournament would be better off not having the Euro qualification involved at all.
  34. Oct 11, 2017

Ralaks Full Member

We'll see :) I agree that it would be stupid, but I wouldn't be suprised to see teams not take the nations league serious as doing so would harm their chances of qualifying the next time;

Most teams from group D will have little interest in getting promoted for example, as it would harm their chances of going to the Euros. None of them are realistically going to qualify directly via the qualification group, so a potential play-off with teams around their level is a much more realistic way to the euros.

Getting promoted would even mean that they would have little chance of even making the playoff in that respective group. I don't see how that is that unrealistic. If say Armenia could get promoted on the final day, but also stay down if they drew or lost, I wouldn't be suprised to see them not bother fully with the match. I believe it's going to end up being a lot of shitty games between poor teams, not wanting to get promoted.
  35. Oct 11, 2017

But to make play-offs they'll need to come top 4. Top 4 are promoted. So avoiding promotion will do no good as it'll be avoiding the play-offs as well.
  36. Oct 11, 2017

Adisa Full Member

Any change from the current shite is a positive.
  37. Oct 11, 2017

Ralaks Full Member

Ah of course, that makes sense at least! For some reason I had in mind not all who make the play-off will get promoted. Disregard that post then :)

But it works the other way around, I guess, even if it is way more hypothetical. Team X on the verge of relegation to group D, will probably not care that much about actual relegation as it means higher potential for qualification next tournament compared to staying as a bottom-feeder in group C? Probably too hypothetical I guess. Definite "can a loss be a win" scenario tbh.
  38. Oct 11, 2017

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
  39. Oct 11, 2017

Mr Anderson Eats, shoots, leaves

Don’t mind the amount of games. Runs similar to the to the current platform of friendlies in international windows.

They are making friendlies matter a bit more. No harm in that, and effectively no really naff friendlies against Timbuktu followed by Tanzania.... teams already deemed on your level by coefficients.

Top teams can still rotate a little, since top 2 placing in the normal euro qualifiers guarantees qualification.

See no harm in trying it
  40. Oct 11, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

This competition looks a right mess.