UEFA Nations League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Santos J, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 08:02

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

[​IMG]

I know what you're thinking... what the feck is the Intergalactic Vase Trophy?!
  2. Oct 12, 2017 at 08:24

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Wait, there will be a Uefa international league "winner"? Who cares about that?
  3. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:27

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    If I'll follow the competition, guess I'll care.
  4. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:32

I'm not able to read the article. My point is where does this in amidst a world cup, euros, copas etc in terms of importance?
  5. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:36

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    It's probably only a League Cup of UEFA country competitions. ;)

I like it because it'll basically replace friendlies, which I loathe. *Some* type of competitive competition is better than none I guess.
  6. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:37

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Why not get rid of friendlies instead of this?
  7. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:38

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    You mean to just remove all those international dates and play nothing then? Countries wouldn't like that I bet.
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:39

Ah cheers. I dont know. I find international football barring the world cup pretty uninteresting. Just find it very difficult to get excited by it.

This looks like another to add to that category. Agree on friendlies though. Completely pointless to have friendlies in the middle of the competitive club season.
  9. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:47

Zippy20 Full Member

Supports:
    Hertha BSC
    I understand that people find the current situation boring with more or less meaningless friendlies.
    My concern is, has anyone at UEFA even talked to the federations or was this (like many other things) decided without making sure that all countries are happy about it?
    As a national team coach, i wouldn't want to play against other UEFA teams, that are deemed 'on my level', all the time.
    Sometimes i would want to play against Chile or Cameroon (for example) to see how my players cope with a certain playing style. Sometimes i would want to play against San Marino to see whether my B team can perform...those friendlies are often not as meaningless as we think they are.
  10. Oct 12, 2017 at 09:51

Raees Sporty Guy

Is that for real??
  11. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:11

abhayselvan Full Member

Does this tournament have anything to do with the Euro and World Cup qualifiers? Or is it a completely different tournament to pass the time between these two major events?
  12. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15

abhayselvan Full Member

Wow! That's a lot of effort for a made up flow chart.
  13. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

But the players and coaches would?
  14. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:18

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Coaches probably, owners too, but I think players enjoy getting together in nations teams.
  15. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:46

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    When would you schedule international friendlies then (ie against Brazil)?
  16. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:08

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Weeks leading up to the Euros/WC.
  17. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:18

El cagrejo Full Member

Supports:
    FC Luzern
    The international calender just needs to be restarted from scratch completely.

All qualifiers should be played over six weeks at the end of the league season (which finishes much earlier due to a lack of international breaks). It's so obvious and would actually make Europeans less pissed off with international football.
  18. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:20

Scarecrow Full Member

4 teams out of it will qualify for the 2020 Euros. It's a good chance for the smaller teams.

This has been discussed for at least a few months but I guess there's little reason for the big countries (and medias) to care about it.
  19. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:26

izec Full Member

Shit. Just scrap international football alltogether
  20. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:53

notcool Full Member

Supports:
    a
    Qualification groups need to be superseded completely by this now so that the teams in League A and B always play other teams in their respective leagues and we have interesting international football throughout the season and not just every 2 years.
  21. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:24

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

I like how whoever did it wanted to make sure Gazprom there rightful showing... I mean, what would a ridiculous football competition be without its sponsors?
  22. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:55

LennonNL nipple flasher

Good idea but I can’t see anyone really caring enough to make the games less boring. Especially England.
  23. Oct 12, 2017 at 13:03

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Q & A

How are the overall UEFA Nations League rankings calculated?
    Within each league (A, B, C and D), the overall ranking will be calculated based on position in the group then points, goal difference, goals scored, away goals scored, wins, away wins, disciplinary points, coefficient ranking.

What are the advantages for national associations and teams?
    National associations and coaches, in consultations with UEFA, revealed that they feel that friendly internationals are not providing adequate sporting competition. The UEFA Nations League creates more meaningful and competitive matches for teams and a dedicated calendar and structure for national team football.

Top teams can also aspire to take part in the UEFA Nations League Finals, a new top-level event.

For middle-ranking and smaller nations, the UEFA Nations League will offer an extra way to qualify for UEFA EURO final tournaments. Lower-tier countries – the bottom 16 in the rankings – are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for UEFA EURO.

Lower-ranking teams who have struggled against sides ranked considerably higher than them will now get the chance to take part in balanced matches. Teams do not learn and progress by repeatedly losing; now some sides will start winning.

While the UEFA Nations League will replace most friendly internationals, there will still be space in the calendar for friendlies, especially for top teams who may want to face opposition from outside Europe as they will be in groups of three teams.

Associations and teams benefit from clarity of the fixture calendar, and there is now a clear buffer between the end of the UEFA EURO and FIFA World Cup, and vice versa, as well as stability of income.

What are the advantages for supporters?
    Supporters more than most realise that most friendlies fail to deliver competitive and meaningful football. Now they will have the opportunity to see their teams play in more competitive matches, take part in a new competition and get a second chance to qualify for the major tournaments.

In every even year there are World Cup or UEFA EURO champions; now in every odd year there will be a UEFA Nations League winners. Football is about competition and now, just like in club football, there will be a national team champion at the close of every season.

Will this mean more demands on players and clubs?
    No: the UEFA Nations League and European Qualifiers will adhere to the existing agreed international match calendar. UEFA is always keen to preserve the balance between club and international football. The new competition should, in fact, reduce demands on players and clubs with less travel envisaged for friendly games while national teams will be playing more consistently at their own level. With double-header matchweeks, players will even go back to their clubs earlier than is currently the case.

Is this just about generating more revenue?
    No, finances are not a driver for the new competition. However, the competition will have the same centralised media rights as have recently been introduced for all European Qualifiers so associations will have even more stability in their income.

Will there be no more friendly internationals?
    There will certainly be fewer friendly internationals and undoubtedly fewer meaningless friendlies. However, there will still be space in the calendar for friendly internationals – particularly warm-up matches for final tournaments. UEFA is also keen that European teams will still have the chance to play opponents from other confederations.
  24. Oct 12, 2017 at 13:05

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    That's not less caring, that's just England.

:nervous:
  25. Oct 12, 2017 at 13:11

I like the idea of A) (almost) no friendlies and B) lesser teams getting to qualify from a group of similar level teams (although wouldnt that lower the standard?) but the bolded bit is funny:lol: I mean, I doubt anyone is going to give the winners much credit/importance when the important thing is the WC after every two editions of this thing. Does it really matter if England, for example, win one of these while doing the usual at the WC?
  26. Oct 12, 2017 at 13:36

El cagrejo Full Member

Supports:
    FC Luzern
    It does seem unnecessary to have this and still do the qualification tournaments. I quite like the concept of a UEFA nations league (let's be honest, the CONMEBOL World Cup qualification group is one of the best things in football) but to have it alongside those dreary qualification groups seems like such a missed opportunity.
  27. Oct 12, 2017 at 14:34

barros Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where liberty dwells, there is my country
    They want to kill Zidane, if Ronaldo can't play that many matches because at the end the season he will play like a retired old player and now they add more games? If OG stays with Portugal then we don't need him anymore.
  28. Oct 12, 2017 at 14:37

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    No.
  29. Oct 12, 2017 at 14:44

barros Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where liberty dwells, there is my country
    So we will play 2 or 3 games a year? You can't play against another teams from other continents?
  30. Oct 12, 2017 at 14:46

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    It's a pretty good idea. Hopefully it works
  31. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:12

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    This is schedule for the inaugural competition.

[​IMG]
    Teams in League A will have 4 matchdays, so can, if they want fill the last two matchdays with friendlies.

Euro 2020 qualifications now start later, so this could be played completely.

[​IMG]
    Not completely sure what happens in June though, looks busy as of now.
  32. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:56

Hullyback Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    Having read up on it today it's actually a good idea. No more big teams spanking little nations in pointless matches, the little teams all have a genuine chance to get to the finals, the matches won't be spread out over a stupidly long amount of time to break up the normal season.

Seems confusing at first glance but once it gets going everyone will have it down Pat. I'm all for anything that avoids finishing best second place with X amount of goals and then random playoffs to play someone else in another play off then arm wrestling and a bikini contest.