UK must act against race inequality, Theresa May says

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by sammsky1, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2017

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

Ethnic minorities face huge disparities in life experiences and outcomes compared with their white British counterparts, according to a collection of official government statistics https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk

Theresa May has warned public services there will be "nowhere to hide" if they treat people differently on the basis of their race.

A new government website shows disparities in educational attainment, health, employment and treatment by police and courts between ethnicities. The PM said institutions must "explain or change" any variations - but critics are demanding action from ministers. Labour says government must accept its role in exacerbating injustice.

The figures cover a wide range of lifestyle indicators, including:

• Black Caribbean pupils are permanently excluded from school three times as often as white British classmates
    • White British pupils on free school meals perform the worst at key stage two, with just 32% reaching the expected level
    • Indian, Pakistani and white people are more likely to own their own homes than black and Bangladeshi individuals
    • Unemployment among black, Asian and minority ethnic people is nearly double that of white Britons
    • Rates of smoking are highest in the mixed and white ethnic groups
    • Just over half of white adults ate five portions of fruit and vegetables a day, compared with a third of black adults
    "People who have lived with discrimination don't need a government audit to make them aware of the scale of the challenge," Mrs May said. "This audit means that for society as a whole - for government, for our public services - there is nowhere to hide."

Among those contacting the BBC, Shaneil, from Moss Side, Manchester, said: "It shouldn't matter where you come from or your race. You should be equal, you should be able to do anything you want to do. "We need more different ethnicities to be in power as well."

Joseph G Jones, of the Gypsy Council, said the government was failing its Romani and Traveller communities with "multi-discrimination" across people's lifetimes. "The younger generations shouldn't have to put up with endemic ongoing discrimination - for the time being there is little light at the end of the tunnel," he said.

And Victoria Stevens, a Ukrainian who has lived in the UK for 18 years told the BBC she had no problem in applying for jobs, as she had a mechanical engineering degree, plenty of work experience, and her late husband's English surname. But she added: "However, when it came to career progression, I found that a British candidate would get a promotion above me, every time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41560927

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/10/huge-effect-of-ethnicity-on-life-chances-revealed-in-official-uk-figures
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Oct 10, 2017

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Theresa May doesn't give a single shit about race issues.
  3. Oct 11, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

Is there a pool on how much longer she lasts?
  4. Oct 11, 2017

Raees Fairweather Fan

...said that famous civil rights and race champion Theresa May. Bore off you wheat chasing old fart.
  5. Oct 11, 2017

WackyWengerWorld Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Does she actually have a you know policy to go alongside this statement?
  6. Oct 11, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Crikey, she must be really desperate now. LMFAO.
  7. Oct 11, 2017

MadMike Full Member

I would cheer if I felt this was sincere, but considering the history of not just the Tory party but also the members of the current cabinet and the backbenchers who keep her in power... I'm inclined to believe she's just talking plain old bollox and doesn't give two fecks about the Ukranian engineer or the black girl from Moss Side. Not exactly her typical voters anyway.