Under 17 European Championships- Ireland 3rd - 19th May 2019

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Classical Mechanic, May 3, 2019.

1. May 3, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Group A
    Belgium
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Greece

Group B
    Holland
    France
    England
    Sweden

Group C
    Iceland
    Portugal
    Hungary
    Russia

Group D
    Spain
    Italy
    Germany
    Austria

Group B and D are tight. Apparently this Ireland side is quite good and the usual big hitters should be a factor.

England squad is

Goalkeepers: Louie Moulden (Manchester City), James Trafford (Manchester City)

Defenders: Matthew Bondswell (RB Leipzig), Taylor Harwood-Bellis (Manchester City), Malachi Fagan-Walcott (Tottenham Hotspur), Teden Mengi (Manchester United), Haydon Roberts (Brighton & Hove Albion), Samson Robinson (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Miguel Azeez (Arsenal), Lewis Bate (Chelsea), Teddy Jenks (Brighton and Hove Albion), Nonso Madueke (PSV Eindhoven), Yunus Musah (Arsenal), Cole Palmer (Manchester City), Jensen Weir (Wigan Athletic), Jeremy Sarmiento (Benfica)

Forwards: Joseph Gelhardt (Wigan Athletic), Sam Greenwood (Arsenal), Benjamin Knight (Manchester City), Morgan Rogers (West Bromwich Albion)

A couple of noticeable absentees in Harvey Elliot (might get his PL debut) and Fabio Carvalho (not sure).

A lot of good players for England: Musah, Greenwood, Madueke, Sarmiento and Rogers worth keeping an eye on. United's Mengi is there too.
  2. May 3, 2019

Red00012 Full Member

6 City players compared to our 1.
    Not good reading is it.
  3. May 3, 2019

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Republic of Ireland
    Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Manchester City), Jimmy Corcoran (Preston North End), Harry Halwax (Derby County)
    Defenders: Sean McEvoy (Ballinmallard United), Anselmo Garcia McNulty (Real Betis), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Timi Sobowale (Manchester City), James Furlong (Shamrock Rovers)
    Midfielders: Charlie McCann (Manchester United), Joe Hodge (Manchester City), Brandon Holt (St Patrick's Athletic), Seamas Keogh (Southampton), Ronan McKinley (Derry City), Sean Kennedy (Sunderland), Festy Ebsoele (Derby County), Roland Idowu (Southampton)
    Forwards: Matt Everitt (Brighton & Hove Albion), Conor Carty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Joshua Giurgi (Norwich City)
  4. May 3, 2019

It's not but I don't think the City players are among the best in that squad.

England play France tonight at 7.00pm

This group has had some really good results over the past couple of yar but made a meal of qualifying and were close to going out until Madueke scored a couple to turn round a 2:1 deficit against Denmark in the last qualifying game.
  5. May 3, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Portugal

Goalkeepers: Samuel Soares (Benfica) Diogo Almeida (Sporting)

Defenders: Rodrigo Rego (Sporting) Eduardo Quaresma (Sporting) Tomás Esteves (Porto) Tomás Araújo (Benfica) Rafael Brito (Benfica)

Midfielders: Paulo Bernardo (Benfica) Pedro Brazao (Nice) Gonçalo Batalha (Sporting) Tiago Ribeiro (Mónaco) João Daniel (Sporting) Daniel Rodrigues (Sporting) Famana Quizera (Gladbach)

Forwards: Fabio Silva (Porto) Bruno Tavares (Sporting) Tiago Tomás (Sporting) Gerson Sousa ( Benfica) Henrique Pereira (Benfica) Filipe Cruz (Benfica)
  6. May 3, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Holland squad is so good it's almost unfair. So much talent for one age group. Hard to see past them for favourites. Playing Sweden right now and could easily be 2-0 up already, trying to walk the ball in. Brobbey is a big talent up top, always impressed me for Ajax.
  7. May 3, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    90% of them are Ajax as well
  8. May 3, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Yup, think 7 of the starting 11 were Ajax there. Most of them playing u19s as well. Watched a decent amount of Ajax u19s this season, both in the league and UYL, really impressive talents. Hansen and Taylor are both great. Watched the game v Feyernoord at the weekend, was a great standard.
  9. May 3, 2019

Musah and Sarmiento missing for England. Hope it isn't registration problems.

Theo Zidane playing for France.
  10. May 3, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Absolute trash
  11. May 3, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

France England been a poor watch. Thought it would be pretty open pre game but France quality in the final third been non existent and England too negative.
  12. May 3, 2019

There were a number of disappointing performances from England Madueke but Rogers in particular, not much in the middle of the park with only Azeez showing some quality. France just looked bigger and stronger and over ran England, especially in the second half, the French right back was a machine. England defended manfully but the French lacked quality in the final moment. The best move of the second half was England's when Greenwood hit the post. France had about 12 corners but rarely created a chance from them. England will have to improve big time to get out of the group.

The missing dual nationals is concerning though, Musah, Cirkin, Carvalho and Sarmiento takes a lot of quality from the squad and first team. Weird that Musah and Sarmiento have travelled but weren't even on the bench. There were rumours of registration issues but surely they'd know by the time they picked the squad.
  13. May 3, 2019

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Terrible way to finish the game from Ireland. Strange officiating again. That Everitt lad from Brighton looked excellent.
  14. May 4, 2019

Bale Bale Bale New Member

Madueke was disappointing? Thought he was our best player myself, particularly 1st half.
  15. May 4, 2019

For how good he is yes. Thought he overplayed too much and lost possession a lot.
  16. May 4, 2019

Bloedrood Full Member

Usually a good sign. If Ajax is doing well, so are the Netherlands teams.
  17. May 4, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Well another Emilio Peixe masterclass. Hungary 1 Portugal 0. One day somebody has to explain me why ex players who never proved nothing at youth level at least on a club level always get this jobs. I mean this happens on almost every age group.

Anyway never expected this team to win but at least to reach the last 8, with this one can’t see how we will win 2 games against Russia or Iceland after what I witnessed today.

Credit to Hungary must be said.
  18. May 4, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Iceland:

Goalkeepers:
    Ólafur Kristófer Helgason (Fylkir), Adam Ingi Benediktsson (HK), Helgi Bergmann Helgason (Keflavík)

Defenders: Baldur Hannes Stefánsson (Þróttur my club), Róbert Orri Þorkelsson (Afturelding), Oliver Stefánsson (Norrköping), Vilhjálmur Yngvi Hjálmarsson (Fjölnir), Jón Gísli Eyland Gíslason (ÍA), Valgeir Valgeirsson (HK)

Midfielders: Ísak Bergmann Jóhannesson (Norrköping), Davíð Snær Jóhannsson (Keflavík), Mikael Egill Ellertsson (SPAL), Elmar Þór Jónsson (Þór), Andri Fannar Baldursson (Bologna), Orri Hrafn Kjartansson (Heerenveen), Kristall Máni Ingason (FC Copenhagen), Ólafur Guðmundsson (Breiðablik)

Forwards: Andri Lucas Guðjohnsen (Real Madrid), Hákon Arnar Haraldsson (ÍA), Danijel Dejan Djuric (Midtjylland)
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  19. May 4, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    @Snow how did the Russians played today? Ok, bad, nothing special?
  20. May 4, 2019

I've been working so I didn't see the game. Besides I think our shitty state broadcaster didn't even show the game.

By all accounts Iceland were better to begin with, scored 2 goals from set pieces and the 3rd from a penalty so they were very clinical. In the 2nd half it was Russia doing all the attacking, managed to score 2 but the Icelandic defense held out in the in end so a somewhat typical Icelandic win.
  21. May 4, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Don’t worry our public station here also didn’t show the game, if I want to see I have to watch on YouTube and they only show the live match. Watched today but can’t do it during the week.
  22. May 4, 2019

Our station gets tax money, is running a fully functional sports division that basically broadcasts a few games a year (only NT games for men and women). I produce more broadcasts myself in a week than they do for almost the entire year. We (subscription television) would be showing it if we could but we're not allowed so no one can.
  23. May 6, 2019

Bloedrood Full Member

Great game again by Netherlands, beating England 5-2.
  24. May 6, 2019

Bit of a farce for England. We have two players there that can’t be registered to play and a couple of other regulars left at home for the same reason. With injuries to Madueke they couldn’t even fill the bench for today’s game. How can we take players to the actual tournament that can’t play?

They were 2-1 up at one point but crumbled. Harwood-Bellis is suspended for the next game too so the bench will be even smaller. Qualification looks improbable now. Wouldn’t be surprised if Sweden turned us over. Majorly disappointing from how good the group looked 12 months ago.
  25. May 6, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Administrative error I guess? Not normal to call up players and then you can’t play them during the tournament.
  26. May 6, 2019

God only knows. There was a number of foreign born dual nationals in the group, including Fabio Carvalho from Portugal. Mysteriously they didn’t play in the last games before the tournament and there were rumours about their eligibility. Carvalho and Cirkin didn’t get called up but when Sarmiento and Musah got the call I assumed it was sorted for them. Yet they’re at the tournament and not even on the bench. Musah is the best player in the team so he’d be first name on the team sheet. In the case of Cirkin and Carvalho I’m pretty sure they’ve been in England since being very young so they should be eligible, Musah has also been here for over the five years required.
  27. May 6, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Embarrassing really. Madeuke is a talent, he was badly missed today. Didn't see the game today as it wasn't streamed but a friend went. England were apparently unlucky to be losing at 3-2 then fell to pieces a bit. Dutch side will probably win the whole comp though, so no shame really.
  28. May 7, 2019

Yeah, I think the Dutch scored with their first 4 attempts on target or something like that. England hit the bar at 2-1 up I think too.

I think if England had previous regulars

Livramento (injured)
    Cirkin (registration issues?)
    Carvalho (registration issues?)
    Elliot (made his PL debut on Saturday)
    Migten (injured)
    Musah (registration issues?)
    Sarmiento (registration issues?)

Then we'd have a very good chance of winning the tournament. Those are some great talents and the depth in the wide forward positions with Madueke, Rogers, Migten, Elliot and Sarmiento was fantastic, one would have missed out I'd expect though.

Because of the registration issues we actually had two players making their England debuts in the opening game against France. It's terrible squad management really.
  29. May 7, 2019

Bloedrood Full Member

Brobbey has been on fire this season, most scoring player in the Ajax youth at the moment.
  30. May 7, 2019

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Looks abit clunky from what I’ve seen of him - his physique is way ahead of people of his own age group which probably explains why he’s scoring goals for fun at younger age level.
  31. May 7, 2019

Yeah, he's completely massive, he'd be big even in the seniors. Bit like Ellis Simms at Everton. Hard to tell how good they'd be when the physical advantage disappears somewhat.
  32. May 7, 2019

Bloedrood Full Member

Yeah, his legs are huge for someone his age. Not a typical Ajax player, but still has gone through their academy the past 10 years and performs well in their playing style. Will be interesting to see how that'll translate to when he's older.
  33. May 7, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Hungary, Spain and Italy already qualified. Iceland only needs a draw vs Portugal on Friday to qualify.
  34. May 8, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Can’t find a thread on this anywhere. Anyone been following?

Ireland is hosting this one. I’m going to the Spain v Italy game on Friday. Which future Manchester United megastars should I keep an eye out for? Shower me with your knowledge, youth nerds.
  35. May 9, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Doku is levels above anyone else on the pitch.
  36. May 9, 2019

Champagne Football Full Member

He looks like the only potential world class talent in this Ireland Belgium match. Some half decent players on both sides but he sticks out like a sore thumb.
    I wonder does he have an Irish granny!
  37. May 9, 2019

It's Spain so everyone. They always produce quality players above what their NT can carry. You've got one each from Alavés, Osasuna and Sociedad and the rest are with big clubs. Half of Italy's side are with Juve, Inter and Milan. Basically there are no hidden gems at that level. The hidden gems are the ones that for some reason never get picked at youth level.
  38. May 9, 2019

3 of the best Icelandic players (2 MCs and striker) were out of action against Hungary (1 sick and 2 injured) so it doesn't look to good for us.
  39. May 9, 2019

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Wow. That Doku guy for Belgium looks incredible!