United and complacency

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by noodlehair, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Oct 16, 2010

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    The fact that you're expecting Owen to be the difference says it all. I can't believe we're lacking in quality, just look out our CL winning squad compare it to this season's. As for Owen, Hull really was his level. Not Manchester United.
  2. Oct 16, 2010

RedThaiDevils#7 Full Member

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
    VDS fecked up big time for me...

Nani was the only person who looked at it... The rest weren't bad but Gibson was non-existent, Berbatov tried but could have scored and could have done better with a few headers...

Arghhh our defense usually isn't like this and it's irritating...
  3. Oct 16, 2010

Allforone Full Member

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
    The teams just not very good, and the midfields of midtable standard frankly or atleast its performing like it.
  4. Oct 16, 2010

CheadleBeagle Full Member

Giggs going off seemed to change our attacking momentum.
  5. Oct 16, 2010

Fletcher's Jilted Lover He's the man!

Fergusons to blame for the complacency this time. Moving Anderson out of position to the left and bringing Gibson on was a shocking decision. We had another 45 minutes to play and that reorganisation fecked us up.
  6. Oct 16, 2010

arjwiz Full Member

Owen started the last league game that we played.

And how would Owen have made the difference when the 14 people who tried today couldn't?
  7. Oct 16, 2010

holyland red Full Member

That was exactly what I thought when I saw Gibson coming in for Giggs. With Anderson and Carrick in CM after missing months through injury, and probably not having played together for at least a year, I thought that was a strange decision.

Or one that stems from a belief that the game was as good as won.
  8. Oct 16, 2010

iAm20Legend Full Member

Well, we've been found out. I've been saying it for the last couple of seasons - we can't really handle it too well when teams come out and really attack us.

We start playing like it's their business to shrivel up and die when we go up a goal or two. This has happened quite a few times over the last couple of, maybe even the last three, seasons, the only difference is that teams are making it a habit to really give it a go against us these days.

That, coupled with some really bad mistakes, is really starting to cost us now. Once ,twice, thrice , .. how long can it go on? Might be labeled a knee jerk, but if this happens just another couple of times, we'll be playing for the cups and praying others drop a truckload of points - which is not really good.
  9. Oct 16, 2010

holyland red Full Member

I'm not sure throwing in all your strikers and taking out all your midfield is the way to go when needing a goal. That stank of desparation.
  10. Oct 16, 2010

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    But you're biased, Spoony.

I'm just going on past results when Owen has been instrumental in getting us points. To not use him at all seems bizarre to say the least.

And I seriously do think we're lacking quality, especially in midfield. We do have quality, but it's not enough. We need a Roy Keane - who on the pitch is the motivator?
  11. Oct 16, 2010

FreakyJim Full Member

This is United from 2004, only worse. At least we had Giggs and Scholes six years younger back then.

Fergie's got some serious rebuilding to do.
  12. Oct 16, 2010

I never said he would have. But he has played as well as any of the players who are getting a game, and his scoring record has been good.

He got half a game against Sunderland, and had no service from midfield. Subbing him made no difference to the score.

Your last comment doesn't make sense. The idea of a sub is to change the game. You might as well have said why would Sheringham have made a difference in Barcelona when up to the point he came on, those on the pitch couldn't.
  13. Oct 16, 2010

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

I'll be honest I always hated the Owen signing. He has no literally no presence on the football pitch anymore.

Yes we're lacking in quality, I always thought finishing 2nd this season would be a good achievement for this team, but throwing a two goal lead against West Brom at home? Throwing away leads game after game? Having no response once teams hit back? There are some serious issues I can't quite put a finger on. Yes, we lost Ronaldo and Tevez but this team is good enough to at least dominate West Brom if not beat them. In the second half they were the better team and that's what worries me. A Ferguson team having the kind of lack of balls you'd usually associate with a Wenger team. It's eerie.
  14. Oct 16, 2010

I'm honest. And I think he started the last game. I doubt Fergie would've signed him had his purse strings not been tightened. As for the midfield, I said that a couple of seasons ago...even when we had Tevez and Ronaldo. The latter papered over the cracks. Last year Rooney did the same.
  15. Oct 16, 2010

wr8_utd :'(

At 2-2 West Brom looked far more likely to score than we did :lol:
  16. Oct 16, 2010

I don't disagree with any of that - except Owen starting the last game was irrelevant. He wasn't given the opportunity to finish it, even though it's midfield that's the problem.
  17. Oct 16, 2010

noodlehair "It's like..."

The problem's were all there at 2-0 though. We destroyed them up until that point and then pretty much from that second onwards hardly bothered venturing out of our own half.

I mean, we used to do this when it was 4-0 and there were 10 minutes left, not when it's only 2 and there's over half the sodding game left to play. We should be learning our lesson and instead we seem to go out of our way to try and prove we don't have to.

Like throwing yourself off a cliff to prove breaking your leg when you jumped off the top of your house was just bad luck.

As for Albion looking the more likely to get the third. True, but I thought that was more to do with Ferguson cocking up our shape because he didn't want to take Gibson back off, and again, Gibson was only on the pitch because Fergie obviously thought we could waltz through the rest of the game without a proper formation...the gimp.

Yeah. I''ve never been as pissed off by a United side as this season. Being shite I can take, but it's just the staggering, unbelievable complacency, and Fergie's been as guilty as anyone else, unfortunately.
  18. Oct 16, 2010

Is true.
  19. Oct 16, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

fergie 20 years ago would give everyone in this squad a slapping.
  20. Oct 16, 2010

iAm20Legend Full Member

I'm not sure if Owen's much good either; I'd rather bring on Macheda.

I'm not sure about quality either - we do seem to have a lot of it - on paper - but in these situations when we're trying to get a goal - nowadays we seem desperately short of ideas(read: hoof the ball up from the back, the forwards lose it, and we're running back to defend on their counter), other teams seem to know exactly what we're trying to do - they seem to have found out that with Ronnie gone, our creativity doesn't work too well when we're pressed and hassled.

Nani has been good, but well, you can't expect him to come up with winners in tough situations ala Ronaldo, that lad was a notch higher.
  21. Oct 16, 2010

OneUnited24 Full Member

Too right, people say look Owen scored a lot of goals lately but 2 were in the CC and 1 was vs Bolton which credit to him was a good header. Overall hes been piss poor and the further away from the first team he is the better.
  22. Oct 16, 2010

FreakyJim Full Member

just arrogant, not better
  23. Oct 16, 2010

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    It's not that. we stop playing around 30th minute. we didn't show up for the second half at all.
  24. Oct 16, 2010

Someone will say it anyway so here goes:
    There's no value
  25. Oct 16, 2010

The funny part is that early on all of us were complaining about the tough fixture list. And now when Chelsea have the tough fixtures we still can't win a game.
  26. Oct 16, 2010

TonyMontana Banned

they are idiots
  27. Oct 16, 2010

Devilton Banned

Teams don't fear United anymore. And why should they? Defence doesn't look rock solid. Midfield is pretty average and while our strikers are good deny them service and suddenly they look half as effective.

We lacked leaders on the field today. When the game was there to be won we looked clueless. United at Old Trafford and it was West Brom who looked the more likely to steal the game. It's become a bit pathetic now...
  28. Oct 16, 2010

The Fergie of 3 years ago wouldn't have brought Gibson on to replace Giggs with over half the game to play, when he had Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes sitting on the bench.
  29. Oct 16, 2010

Devilton Banned

Apparently he's quality.

Lord help us when Scholes and Giggs call it a day.

I look at Liverpool and I'm afraid to laugh as hard these days.
  30. Oct 16, 2010

Sure has. Given our best striker has turned into Emile Heskey, our defense is really the one part of the team that is on paper world class, and they've kind of lost the plot this season. That's what happens when you rely on one thing so much.

I'm not even bothered about the title this season, I didn't think we could win it from almost the start. I'm now beginning to worry whether City might finish ahead of us. We look stale and stagnant as a team.
  31. Oct 16, 2010

Rednails Full Member

I think he's more interested in the next CL game tbh. But the way we are playing we are going to get slaughtered by the likes of Barca, Chelsea et al.
  32. Oct 16, 2010

We've declined over the last two seasons that's worse than stagnant.
  33. Oct 16, 2010

Does anyone seriously believe that Fergie wouldn't have bought players if he'd been able to?

I think his hands are tied, and he's not as happy with the squad as he claims.
  34. Oct 16, 2010

I wish he'd at least make his mind up then, considering the team he selected for our last CL home game.
  35. Oct 16, 2010

Carling Cup, FA Cup will be good returns this season!
  36. Oct 16, 2010

Well, when you sell a player of Ronaldo's quality you need to replace him with at least 3 players who can come in and make a difference immediately, if you want to keep the level up. Even then it's difficult. So I never expected us to maintain that standard, it had to go down, given we just brought in Valencia and some children.

But I'm more worried about us not even playing up to the potential we currently have, which is no doubt less than that team had. As I said, never expected amazing things from this team, but at least be organized, work hard and keep leads like a normal team would instead of capitulating at the first sign of pressure.
  37. Oct 16, 2010

I don't think that's the problem though Liv. At least not the one I'm trying to highlight.

There's four games we've drawn this season, which we'd have won comfortably if we'd just done our jobs properly, or merely professionally, with the squad we have.

and another against Liverpool which very nearly ended up falling into the same category.

and if we'd done that we'd have a near perfect record and be top of the league...just by not shooting ourselves in the foot over and over again against teams who weren't even good enough to compete with us (barring Fulham who could argue they earned a draw).
  38. Oct 16, 2010

Only a few living in Glazerlalaland. That CL winning side should've dominated Europe not declined into this. But we've got debts and I guess that's the cold harsh reality. Still, success on pitch should be of paramount importance.
  39. Oct 16, 2010

Oh I definitely think that's the case. This team is considerably worse than the one that was so successful three seasons back. Chelsea always ran us close those days and have gotten better. So it makes logical sense to improve the personnel.

We are a club in big financial problems. And it's beginning to show on the pitch. Problem is how do we attract a top manager once Fergie goes with the financial health of the club in the state it's heading.
  40. Oct 16, 2010

Richter Hairy big footed Swede

Put it this way, he has never been afraid of spending big breaking transfer record after transfer record until the Glazers turned up. But that has been discussed to death in other threads already.