1. Follow build-up and lives updates for the Brighton match here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Finances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by VanGaalEra, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

kps88 Full Member

Lingard's agent is going to ask for a social media bonus.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

Distracted Steward Full Member

Maybe it bores you, but United is a global juggernaut and this is why. It's club news. It's how the club manages to compete financially with oil clubs and oligarchs' play toys.
  3. Feb 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

I didn't realise that (to both posts). At least not that it'd be as public. Fair enough. Glad to see we're ticking over well of course.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

Trizy Full Member

To be fair to Big Woody, he's a Financial Don.

Should send him to Greece on loan to sort out their shit. There'd be a big Tractor made out of Noodles logo on their flag within a week, earning allllll the monies.
  5. Feb 8, 2018

vk20legend Full Member

I missed the word club when I typed.. Should have said the most visited sports team website.
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Greck Full Member

Shake hands with the devil. We have an investor base that needs to be pandered to with brags about our growth and profits. It does rub off some dedicated fans the wrong way to see club executives seemingly happy about where the club is at the moment but it's a necessary evil to keep the money trucks rolling in and keep us competitive in the oil money era.

Unrelated to you but I wish people would stop concluding the club lacks ambition because it's doing what it has to do to make money.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

No, I'm happy to see we're doing decent. But it looked initially to my inexperienced young eyes that Ed had called some journos and told them all this for some reason, which I thought was a bit odd.
    Me saying it's too businessy for my liking is just a personal thing. I'd rather just know we're doing well than know the details, but I know others like it.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

On the losses, I am going to grossly simplify this so don't chase me all of you CPAs.

There is a line item in balance sheets(a piece of paper that shows how much we're worth) called deferred tax assets which is essentially all the past losses being carried forward to offset income in the future(some of caf would say it's morally incorrect). Hence higher the tax rate, higher will be your 'savings' from the tax man. Cutting the tax rate means the deferred tax asset also gets slashed which is reflecting on our income statement as a write-off.

To give some context, Citigroup had a similar write-off of about $20bn in Q4 and many other major banks also had billions of write-offs. Safe to say it's not because "we bought Sanchez" or some nonsense that will inevitably be spouted.
  9. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:lol: :D
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Akshay Moderator Staff

Thank you. Finally makes some sense to me.
  11. Feb 8, 2018

RedCoffee Rants that backfired

Pretty poor assessment by the BBC. For the 6 months to date wages have increased in line with revenue, both at 9% which is fine. Operating profits are steady at 43m. The deferred tax adjustment has nothing to do with footballing operations and only impacts reserves.
  12. Feb 9, 2018

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Staff

We're a listed company that had to publish it's quarterly trading updates for investors and take analyst calls on the back of them. Private companies still have to publish their results annually, but there is less fanfare.
  13. Feb 9, 2018

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Staff

I'd bollock my reporters if one of that missed such a key piece of information out. Truly atrocious write up.
  14. Feb 9, 2018

Drifter American

15. Feb 9, 2018

lysglimt Full Member

I am Jesse - who is most popular on the net - Hmmmmmmmmmm ?
  16. Feb 9, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

Everybody is saying that we made a loss but our debt has gone down by £80m+. How do you make a loss and owe less?

Couldn't any of these journalists work out that we deliberately made a loss last year while tax was 35% so that we can make a bigger profit next year when the new lower tax rate comes in? Is it really that hard to figure out? Do you want to make a profit when you'd pay more or less tax? That's a tough one.
  17. Feb 9, 2018

You know that Paul will have to do it now so that he can prove that he will get more hits. Jesse will be giving it large about being the King of Instagram and Paul isn't gonna take that.
  18. Feb 9, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Can anyone explain why our Commercial revenue comes down? I can understand our Match day revenue comes down probably due to cheaper Europa tickets, but Commercial? I thought our sponsorship deals are going up and up, so was it because of less shirt sale?
  19. Feb 9, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Haven't seen this.
  20. Feb 9, 2018

Thanks to @United_We_Stand Net debt 2017 328.6 net debt in 2016 409.3. Doesn't that mean that our debt has dropped by £80m?
  21. Feb 9, 2018

SWest73 New Member

Yes. And that's a huge drop.

At this rate the debt will be paid in 4 years (doubt it though) and one can only think what that would mean in the player markets after that.
  22. Feb 9, 2018

Hojoon Full Member

I remember a bunch of posters saying it won't be in the club's interest to have the debt zero due to tax so no debt won't happen unless laws change.
  23. Feb 9, 2018

I think we probably made a double payment because the tax is going to be so much lower this year than it was last year. It's a double positive. We pay less tax because we made a loss and we pay less interest going forward because we owe less. I don't think we will be prepared to make a loss 2 seasons on the trot though so I think the repayment might be less this year, if we make a repayment at all.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

Big Ben Foster Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    Correct - debt creates a tax shield that (up to a certain point) has a beneficial impact on firm value.
  25. Feb 9, 2018

C'est Moi Cantona Full Member

Net debt will vary depending on what cash/assets we have in our balance sheet at any given time, I think it varies by the currency rate aswell, I doubt this drop means we've actually paid any of the gross debt off.
  26. Feb 9, 2018

I think we have probably paid some of the gross debt off. We have been doing it as of course over the last decade.