1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

United Hour Podcast - Sanchez Fever

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Schmiznurf, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jan 22, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Join host Nik @Rood as he is joined by Craig @Schmiznurf and Ashwin @AR87 as they discuss Sanchez and his future role in the team, our close victory against Burnley, Sanchez, our upcoming game against Spurs, Sanchez and more on this weeks United Hour.

Podomatic (for Itunes and Android app subscription): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/redcastpod/episodes/2018-01-21T17_14_52-08_00
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour

As always, a huge shoutout to @mckenic for another quality editing job this week

Please do like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter and share, re-tweet, post an Itunes review etc - all support is much appreciated!
  2. Jan 22, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

You heard it hear first, Nik thinks Lukaku should be more like Ashley Barnes....
  3. Jan 22, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Once the pod was done recording I remembered Robbie's name, for some reason Ty was in my mind, probably because of him being an idiot saying Liverpool are the biggest club in England.
  4. Jan 22, 2018

Vault Dweller Full Member

5. Jan 22, 2018

:lol::keano:
  6. Jan 22, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Oh no, your beautiful face is gone.
  7. Jan 22, 2018

I'm actually gutted man, and my Santa tag is gone. I feel naked now :(
  8. Jan 22, 2018

iammemphis iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Supports:
    Watford ST holder for 2 years
    Great pods guys. Sounding much better
  9. Jan 22, 2018

Shiva87 Full Member

Hahahaha. I heard that and was thinking how that's similar to Moyes wanting Vidic to learn from Jagielka!
  10. Jan 22, 2018

Zebs Clare Bald'ings Daughter

The betting ad is no more.

RIP. :(
  11. Jan 22, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

We had to kill it, we did it slowly so it suffered though.
  12. Jan 22, 2018

I miss the betting ad too :(

Burnley game was indeed hard fought but they have been good this season, I knew it would be a difficult game and one that we just needed to win tbh. I did love the optimistic prediction by @Schmiznurf though :D

I would offload Smalling in the summer now. He does the basics of defending well enough but if we want to push on we need better, I would look to replace him in the summer. I adore Mata too, one of my favorite players in the way he plays the game, and I would love him to stay if he accepts that he would become more of a squad player in future, but if not he would be better off leaving in the summer.

So true about Yeboah :lol: First time ever Martial has scored 3 games in a row in the league for us. He's playing well at the moment, we definitely can't take him out of the side. Agreed with @Schmiznurf on Sanchez too, I think he takes Mata position on the right and we continue in our current vein, or Jesse on the right with Sanchez through the middle behind Lukaku and Mata misses out again. I prefer the former option there but I can see either of those happening.

Shame that it didn't work out for Mkhi here but I actually think he will do alright at Arsenal, seems to be a player suited to their style of play.

That video Schmiznurf is referring to on Arsenal Fan TV is hilarious too, that one cracked me up and Robbie just could not hide his bias.

On a side note, I have 63 posts in the Alexis thread (as of 16:14 GMT on 22/01/2018) so yes, I think he is a fecking outstanding signing :drool::drool: I can't wait for him to be confirmed :keano:

Nice one boys, good effort again.
  13. Jan 22, 2018

HoopsMcCann New Member

Great work. Thanks for taking the time.
  14. Jan 23, 2018

ThaReaper01 Full Member

I like the pod but the American... not good. Not very articulate and seems to have a shallow knowledge of the game. Sorry pal
  15. Jan 23, 2018

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

:wenger:

Conte is clearly a fan - although they seem to be linked to every carthorse centreforward at the moment: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ea-express-interest-in-burnleys-ashley-barnes

Post up the video if either of you can find it - maybe throw up a vid of Yeboah's classic strike for all the kids out there who wont have seen it as well!
  16. Jan 23, 2018

Surprised to hear that as we did get a lot of positive reviews for Ashwin after his last appearance!

Obviously I dont agree but we do welcome all feedback whether positive or negative
  17. Jan 23, 2018

AR87 Full Member

Possible to show progress without winning the PL
    He's just in bad form right now and low on confidence. Needs an arm around the shoulder really.
  18. Jan 23, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

I imagine most people will prefer the one against Liverpool as it's a volley and it's Liverpool, but the one against Wimbledon is the one for me for the buildup and little skill he shows before hitting it. What's remarkable is both goals are identical when it comes to placement.

Ty talking out of his arse as always, I put the video just before Claude talks some sense and says we're the biggest club in England.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  19. Jan 23, 2018

ThaReaper01 Full Member

Of course, and it’s nothing major. I’m still gonna listen to the pod just as well.
  20. Jan 24, 2018

Roosney Full Member

Thanks guys, nice pod.

I fully agree with @Rood (?) about Mata losing a yard of speed and it's showing now. It's been there for a while but against Burnley he looked like the slowest kid in the middle in circle passing practise on too many occasions. And yes, he seems like the greatest person in the PL.

Also agree about Lukaku: he's not been on the score sheet too much lately but for the last couple months or so he's been creating so many chances. I don't know if it's a pre-planned or because of his frustration, but since he's been isolated badly this season it's great to see him put in work in creative role. Not sure if he's done it before at other clubs but it's working.
  21. Jan 24, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Nice pod guys. Was pleased by the more considered evaluation of United's recent games, as opposed to the very gloomy post-Xmas wrap up.

Interesting thoughts on Mkhitaryan, although I don't entirely agree that he wasn't a Mourinho player. My sense of Jose's transfer strategy is that he has gone for the best players possible at every stage. When he first came to United we were at the level of a Europa League side. Yes we got Pogba and Zlatan that summer. However, mostly we were fishing in the Europa League pool for players. Mkhitarayan reflects that.

Sometimes it feels to me that Jose feels like he has a Europa League squad that he is trying to turnover so it becomes a Champions League squad. I suspect that is why lots of players are being allowed to wind down their contracts. I would not be shocked to see Jose allow a lot of players out in the summer. That includes Mata, who I think is under real threat from Sanchez. When you think of how Jose likes speed on the flanks and how effective Alexis was wide right for Barca...If Mata had pace it might be different but he doesn't.
  22. Jan 24, 2018

Feck me those goals are absolutely glorious :drool:
  23. Jan 24, 2018

Niall All Powerful Super Being Staff

Two of my all time favourite goals. Both were scored within a week or so of each other if I recall correctly?
  24. Jan 24, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

About a month, which makes it even more remarkable that they're so similar.
  25. Jan 24, 2018

matador Full Member

Listening to it right now. Hopefully Lukaku’s performance will improve greatly having Alexis close to him.
  26. Jan 24, 2018

AR87 Full Member

Great point and something I've been wondering myself. We've extended options for next year on Mata, Blind, Herrera and Shaw IIRC. Of those 4 I only think Shaw and Herrera he feels have a place in the squad over the next 3-4 years or beyond. I could see him unloading Mata and Blind this summer for nominal transfer fees.

I do think he may be inclined to keep Mata in as Sanchez's arrival doesn't really alter where he ideally sees his role in the squad. Sanchez is essentially coming in to be the starting XI player Mkhi was supposed to be. Mata was only ever supposed to be a bench player and rotation option for cup competitions this season. If we're to take Mourinho at face value that his areas to target this summer no longer include an attacker keeping Mata would seem to track unless he feels comfortable with Pereira returning from loan and filling that spot.
  27. Jan 24, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

In parts yeah, he seemed a bit formulaic, like his 'critique' of Juan Mata! He will make 'a sideways pass'! :keano: (See my football Bluffer's Guide [link: http://www.redcafe.net/threads/messe-lingard-2017-18-performances.430545/page-76#post-21936743] to match day thread contributions). Mata is getting like he's is 'over the hill'. Not the legs anymore. 'Benefit from being a squad player'. Christ. Pity Mourhino has not decked Mata's physical collapse yet! But I would not be too hard on Ashwin @AR87, to be fair. I thought he showed decent enough footie knowledge. At least he didn't say 'my bad' or say 'offence' instead of 'attack'. What was worse was the contributor saying he was bored with the match against Burnley. You have to congratulate the lads for the effort, I think its important to keep the pod going and to have people listen to it and give feedback. Technical quality of the recording is better these days. This podcast was OK, but not their finest moment, in my opinion. Pretty bad ignorance/lack of research (by all) about the incredible giant killing history of Yeovil Town. It would be good to get one of our female Caftards to contribute sometimes or some of the real smart arses in which we abound. Also having on certain oppo fans like @duffer or whoever we have on here would create a bit of dynamics and different views. Also, get some of the muppets on!!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  28. Jan 24, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Honestly, I was bored because I went into the game far too optimistic, expecting us to steamroll Burnley, so when the game ended up being a back and forth I just didn't feel entertained and that's my fault tbh, being tired and nearly falling asleep may also have played a part.

Well, usually we focus more on the league games coming up rather than the cup games.

Also, if anyone else, female or otherwise, is interested in taking part they're welcome to contact us. An oppo fan might be more difficult though due to us talking about what happened in our matches, not sure many oppo's are watching them.
  29. Jan 24, 2018

Cool, well at least you were honest. Well done anyway for giving us your views. I am a real supporter of the podcast.
  30. Jan 24, 2018

AR87 Full Member

Appreciate the feedback.

I did provide a specific example in the match of him choosing not to make a progressive pass which led to a loss of possession. I could have given others as well, but it's not really an efficient use of time.

If it seems formulaic it's possible because it is true. Mata has become a more risk averse passer (possible this is manager's instructions tbf though I believe him and Herrera developed this under LvG and haven't recovered fully) and though never the fastest, has seemingly lost a bit of pace.

What I will say about Mata, which he doesn't get enough credit for, is how much more willing and disciplined he is in his defensive duties. He may get beaten for pace or get caught out a bit when he drifts over to the left from his wide right position, but he always tracks back with purpose now and puts in the hard yards. It may actually be a reason why Mourinho almost always subs him off as it's physically more demanding on him than others.

I also often find myself ranting about something I never intended to which I think I kind of did on Mata in this pod. It may not have been clear, but I quite like Mata and ideally would like to keep him in the squad for another couple of seasons. I don't think we're in a position to not keep a player who can still contribute at a high level albeit not as consistently as he once did.
  31. Jan 24, 2018

ThaReaper01 Full Member

To be honest I didn’t have a problem with the Mata critique because I thought he, along with Matic, were the two worst performers on the night. And that’s the good of the pod because you noticed it and the others thought he was decent (which I disagreed with).

It’s always different strokes though and like I said, it doesn’t stop me listening to the pod. I love it, and if you guys need an emergency fill in, I’m up for that as well.
  32. Jan 25, 2018

Verminator Full Member

Thanks for this guys.
    I look forward to these, they're a great listen.
  33. Jan 25, 2018

Its pretty clear that Jose has noted that Mata is past his best, as he was far from his plans at the start of the season (often not even on the bench) - it was only the poor form of Mkhi that forced him to give Mata another chance and hes done pretty well in general but the last match seemed to pass him by. Really a battle like Burnley is not the best one for him, he can still be effective against teams that sit back and allow us more time and space on the ball though.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and to address your various points:
    I spent a whole 5 minutes reading the Wiki of Yeovil Town so you can stick your lack of research up your arse :D - I was aware of their giant killing history but chose to focus on their more recent ups and downs through the football league as I thought it was more relevant to where they are today.

We have actually tried to get opposition fans on the pod several times but no one seems up for it - if any are reading and want to get involved then drop me a line. Not had any female Caftards apply either.
    As for muppets - you are welcome to appear whenever you are ready ;)
  34. Jan 25, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I agree with @Tincanalley Mata as a "sideways" / "risk-averse" passer is a bit harsh/lazy. He's not risk averse, he just makes excellent decisions with regards to what pass is likely to be succesful and what isn't. Mata will always tend to play the pass that he knows will keep the ball... sometimes that is sideways, but sometimes it is a nice ball inside or incisive through-ball... but he will very rarely try and force moves that just aren't happening.

Mata is still an excellent creative player (despite his low assists this season) and it's still not a coincidence that the majority of our good attacking performances come when he's on the pitch.

Will he lose his place to Sanchez? Maybe in the short-term, but Mata will always find his way back into the team, due to him generally being consistent, injury-free and someone that Mourinho trusts and can depend upon. So yeah, don't see him going anywhere anytime soon and he'll continue to rack up appearances even with Sanchez about.
  35. Jan 25, 2018

Anyone who is interested in guesting needs to send in a short audio clip - we need to check sound quality (as that has been a major issue with some past guests) and that you have some clue about what you are on about!

We do still have a list from earlier in the season of people who did apply and will call upon them when needed - note that we give priority to people who take an interest by giving us feedback and get involved in discussions on here and/or Twitter.
  36. Jan 25, 2018

Because of the offside rule, and the very nature of football, sideways and backwards passes are - and have been for a very long time - utterly central to the flow of the game. Doesn't matter if you are Stoke or Barca. In the seventies or whenever they brought in the rule that a keeper could not handle a back pass, so it was very much part of the game then and for the previous decades.

Watch at a kick out. Both teams are all concentrated in maybe a twenty yard band either side of the half way line, both defences pushing up. Because of the offside rule, the work of breaking down a defence is very much like picking a complex lock. By passing, dribbling and timing runs off the ball, you are trying to move the opposition defence around like pieces on a chess board, stretch the game or whatever. Give them tricky choices, committ them. But sometimes you overstretch or get closed down; then, like in rugby, you have to recycle, stabilise, and all that involves sideways and backwards passes as well as the diagonal and sometimes back to front ball. Then you go through the gears again, always trying to catch the opposition off balance, find a bit of space, turn a defender.

The idea of a 'target man', a forward who plays with his back to goal, is either to turn with the ball to attack the goal, or more usually, to 'lay it off'. That inevitably involves a backwards or sideways pass to an incoming forward. Wing play is about 'crosses'. These, and corner kicks, are diagonal or sideways balls. So unfortunately posters objecting to, or putting down players for doing reverse passes or sideways balls is - and always will be - a red flag to me of complete and utter cluelessness about the nuts and bolts of the game. Trying to get your head around some of this stuff - and there is always more to learn - for me, anyway, makes the three dimensional chess game of football more fascinating and entertaining.
  37. Jan 25, 2018

AR87 Full Member

There is a time and place for those things for sure. When he has space in front of him on the counter with options to play a pass to it's not the time for it and that's where the criticism lies. When we're building up play I don't have an issue with it and it helps us build overloads as he drifts into the middle and left flank.

My criticism was specifically in reference to opportunities to move us forward in transition.
  38. Jan 25, 2018

VanGaalyTime Full Member

Come on now. Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess but I think Ashwin is pretty articulate. He made a good point about Burnley targeting Smalling for example, and made several good points throughout. We'll see what the future holds in terms of bringing in Sanchez but I'd imagine Mata will be moved out of the team simply because Lingard, Martial and to, a certain extent, Lukaku are on fire. Very impressed with Lukaku's passing/crossing but still slightly concerned about his inability to get on the end of chances. Maybe with Sanchez we'll see Lukaku more centrally?
  39. Jan 25, 2018

VanGaalyTime Full Member

Oppo fans on the pod would add a different element, I agree. You guys are doing a great job either way but adding a completely different point of view and stirring up some debate can help to build the audience beyond the Caf.
  40. Jan 25, 2018

AR87 Full Member

Lukaku seems like he'll benefit from Sanchez's addition. Think it might take some time for Martial and Sanchez to figure things out together since both like to drop at times to get on the ball. We need to make sure they don't do it too often and get in each other's way. One needs to stay high to provide multiple options for forward passes more often.

One thing Lukaku, and all of our attackers really, need to do is be more hungry about getting into the 6 yard box when the ball is crossed from the byline. Feels like we need to increase our poaching instincts across the board, but maybe it's just something I notice more of with United than other teams because I watch us so much more frequently.