United Hour Podcast - Two Steps Forward ...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rood, Nov 7, 2018 at 16:10.

1. Nov 7, 2018 at 16:10

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

Join host Nik @Rood and guests Alex @Alock1 and Ashwin @AR87 as we dissect a busy couple of weeks in the world of Manchester United.

We look back at the late win at Bournemouth and a great month for Tony Martial before we ponder what has happened to Lukaku and Matic.

Finally we look ahead to a tough week away to Juve and City, is it time to park the bus?!

Subscribe & listen on Itunes or wherever get your pods by searching for United Hour

Podomatic (stream or download): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/redcastpod/episodes/2018-11-06T16_44_36-08_00
    Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/united-hour/id902792476?mt=2
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour

As always, a huge thanks to the editor @12OunceEpilogue
  2. Nov 8, 2018 at 09:17

Ashley R1+O New Member

The house analogy! :lol:
  3. Nov 8, 2018 at 12:26

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts

:lol:

I knew it was terrible whilst making it :smirk:
  4. Nov 8, 2018 at 14:45

Bastian Full Member

Enjoyed the podcast, as always. Disagree on Martial though, I think you guys underestimate how important it is for our wide players to provide adequate cover out of possession. In that regard Martial seems much more motivated than he's been in the past and he seems to be sulking a lot less. I see a different player there. He was always fantastic going forward though.
  5. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:10

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

Firstly, @Alock1, I'm 30 next week so don't be saying Matic is old and over the hill! He just needs a rest. :wenger:

Secondly, I totally disagree with @Rood about the way we have been playing the season. I don't think the football has been better overall, there has only been two or three games I have seen us play so far this season where I have thought we have played in a manner I expect, with attacking football on the wings and running in behind. On the whole, our attacking play (before Martial's recent form) has been much the same as last season, where we simply cycle the ball in front of two banks of four without any real penetration whatsoever.

On Matic though, I am in two minds regarding Herrera replacing him for a while. I agree he needs a rest but I also remember being beyond frustrated with Herrera and doing the same sideways, scared to lose the ball passing, that Matic does now. On balance I'd rather see Herrera in there at the moment to see how he does, because I do like Herrera when he is playing well, though.

With regards to Fred I quite like him, I think has the right attitude and I agree with Ashwin that he often gets his head up to play a forward ball after winning it back. I would say in defence he does look a bit like a headless chicken in defence sometimes. I also agree with Alex regarding the high press, it has to be none or all of them; there's no point in going for a high press if your teammates aren't following in behind to force the mistake. There's nothing more frustrating than being the person in a team who is trying to nip in high and force a mistake when no one is covering the outlets behind you... I'd like to see us do a high press a bit more though.
  6. Nov 9, 2018 at 17:50

He has improved his defensive play for sure, still his low running stats can be improved.

Also on the 'sulking' accusations, I think he is just one of those players who sometimes gives off a negative body language and people read too much into it- I remember similar back in the day with Berbatov who often had accusations of being sulky or lazy.

Well Im not claiming that we are playing some great attacking football but just that there is a clear change of intent from Jose to play with better style - last season we usually had 2 very defensive midfielders and there was several occasions when we pretty much had a back 6 in full bus parking mode but we arent seeing that anymore.

I do think that the general poor play in the last 3rd is mostly down to Lukaku and Sanchez being off form - we have been better without them, although Jose seems to prefer Sanchez to replace Lukaku rather than Rashford which I am not happy with.
  7. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:58

Funky Futurista Full Member

First time listener and enjoyed it! When you brought up that about Luckhurst giving Fred a 1 in the Bournemouth match I just remembered how that made me lose a lot of respect for Luckhurst.

About Matic I completely agree. He needs to be a squad player and not playing every match. He was decent last year, but can't keep up with anyone right now.

Martial should be running in behind more and could still develop his game more, but he is our most clinical finisher and really pops up in the right positions and now also is playing with a lot more confidence.

One thing I want to ask about is if you could compress the audio a bit. Don't know if you already do or not, but the audio kinda spikes in the headset when going from AR87 to Alock1:lol:

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it! Insightful and like how you get your opinions across.
  8. Nov 9, 2018 at 23:21

Bastian Full Member

OK, maybe I give too much significance to the sulking part (though it is tiresome) but the way he's now fighting more for the team changes so much. It says he's committed and willing to graft.

People give Matic such a hard time on the Caf, and I know he's hit and miss this season (was really consistent last season) but he does what he's told and when we've got players who are less tactically disciplined every single one who takes responsibility makes us more sound. Martial is now beginning to do that. I'm not sure how many players teams can field who aren't disciplined in the tactical approach. We already have Pogba who is definitely not disciplined and we've got Lukaku who doesn't have the energy to press or run it seems. I don't think any team can afford more than 2 players who contribute very little to the team when it's not in possession.
  9. Nov 11, 2018 at 00:17

always nice to hear from new listeners - cheers for the feedback

Ye I did notice @Alock1 volume level was a bit lower than ours even when we were recording - generally our sound quality is a lot better than it used to be but we wanted to get this one released ASAP so not as much time to sort out levels etc. Do let us know if you notice any sound issues like that in future - helps us improve.

Yes we do need a disciplined player in there but I think Herrera or Fellaini can do that and Matic clearly needs a rest.