United Hour - The Ole Effect

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Alock1, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 4, 2019

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

This week, Nik is joined by Alex & Ashwin to discuss Ole's first 4 games in charge. 4 games, 4 wins, 14 goals, one new Pogba, and one clean sheet. Listen to the latest podcast below or on Itunes/wherever you usually get your pods!

Subscribe & listen on Itunes or wherever get your pods by searching for United Hour

Podomatic (stream or download): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/...utm_source=web-player&utm_medium=episode-link
    Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/united-hour/id902792476?mt=2
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour

As always, a huge thank you to @mckenic for the fantastic turnaround
  2. Jan 4, 2019
    Haven’t listened yet but bet it’s the best of the season so far
  3. Jan 4, 2019

When I said Matic was one of the most 'reliable' players under Mourinho, I was talking about Fellaini.

Could have said so much more on so many things.. key point is that it's great to have United back.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. Jan 5, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

"Ashwin still not ready to let go" belter :lol:
  5. Jan 6, 2019

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

He's still so angry!! I'm just glad he lives in the States, as I fear he would be camped out side Jose's house in London giving him abuse every time he went to Harrod's for his lunch!

Good episode guys. I agree largely about why the football is so much different, I'd also like to point out we play and move the ball forwards far quicker, in addition to playing a bit higher up the pitch and linking together with one touch passes.

With regards to Solskjaer, my heart would love for him to be our next manager if he can keep this form and these results going for the rest of the season, however I also think this is a free hit for him; there's no (real) pressure on him to get these results as he knows come what may, as it stands he will be leaving at the end of the season. So I do wonder what kind of football we would have played had he received the managerial position permanently. I like to think this is what would have happened but we're verging into ifs and buts there. Depending on what the long-term plan is, Poch may still be the better option, however as mentioned by Alex (I think?), United was just another job to Mourinho and what Solskjaer has over Poch is that connection to the club; Poch may not develop that either.

Certainly if the board decide on Solskjaer after due diligence has been taken, their decision is defensible if it fits within the long term plan for the club.
  6. Jan 6, 2019

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Another good episode, it's nice to have some positivity on there. What a difference a few wins can make. Also loved:

"I was the only one who didn't want Mourinho"
    "Yeah but you're also the one who just never wanted to sack him after that" :lol:
  7. Jan 7, 2019

kundalini Full Member

Interesting discussion.

I tend to think that Ole is getting too much credit for beating modest opposition, while not being taken seriously enough as a medium to long term option as manager.
  8. Jan 7, 2019

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

I don't know about the wider Caf but I'm fairly sure everyone on the pod knows that the opposition he has beaten has been entirely teams we would expect to beat. The difference for us is largely the manner in which they were beat, 2-0 vs Reading is the fewest goals we have scored so far, and secondly I'm fairly confident that under Mourinho we would not have got 12 points from the previous four league games; I said before Mourinho was sacked in our Whatsapp group if we don't get 12 points from the next four fixtures he should be sacked immediately after Newcastle. I'm sure Mourinho would have managed to grind out wins in at least two of those fixtures but certainly not in the way we won and I'd say he definitely would not have won all four.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. Jan 7, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I listen to all my podcasts on 1.5x speed ('cos I generally have tons to get through)... Alex talking at 1.5x speed is like any other person speaking at normal speed.

Anyway good pod - nothing really to argue with - everythings grand right now!
  10. Jan 7, 2019

Maagge enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

What's a good podcast app for Android? I can't register at Podomatic.
  11. Jan 7, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I use Podcast Republic.

Does what I need it to do.
  12. Jan 7, 2019

:lol:

I had feedback as part of some wanky leadership potential questionairre earlier in the year that I need to slow it down for people so this is good to hear.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  13. Jan 7, 2019

Cockney Phil Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    Body language and psychology - how often do we assume all the changes have been made in training, but:

One impact of Ole at post-match press conferences is his attire - United blazer, United tie and white shirt. The power look that Fergie used to reinforce his leadership. In 3 games - Liverpool, Juventus, and Spurs this season - Jose wore the blazer once. While it might only seem a little thing, Ole has re-addressed the psychology of the team. No longer the casual look but back to a professional business-like approach.

In conversations, he’s discussed getting into the heads of young players to slow them down at critical moments so they don’t snatch at shots. In press cons he’s not criticising players but raising their good points from games. He has said he atended the Young Boys game and talked with some of the players about these issues. All of this suggests he’s working to a mind games plan.

The advanced preparations behind his replacement of Jose looks less of a shock than first appeared after the Scouse game. It suggests a certain level of planning has gone into this and the club was only waiting for the right time for implementation.
  14. Jan 7, 2019

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Listening to many pundits you would think all Ole has done at United is turn up smiling, I'm glad the pod mentioned some of the obvious tactical changes he's made.

I think you were all too negative about his ability to take the United job long term though. Look at Henry at Monaco, look at Solari at Madrid, just being a successful ex-player doesn't mean you will get results as your former club's coach. Solksjaer is doing something to get positive results and if he keeps doing it why shouldn't he get the job? If the Di Matteo comparison is valid so too, for example, is the Zidane comparison.

Giggs is a bigger United legend than Ole, yet Giggs lost his second game as caretaker United coach at home to Sunderland. Ole isn't getting a response from the team because he's some kind of special Man Utd mascot. Ole is getting a response from the team because he knows what he's doing. He's been a manager for the best part of a decade. He's actually won back to back league titles (albeit in Norway). He's managed to beat Sevilla in a game with all of Molde's 'football heritage.' The naysayers might say we haven't played anyone yet. I bet Madrid fans were thinking the same before they dropped points against Villareal and lost to Sociedad last week...

Its about time Ole was given a bit of credit for what he's done.
  15. Jan 8, 2019

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

:D

I had missed this, but just found the quotes - very interesting. Although I still dont quite understand the timing of it all but I suppose we will never know what exactly the decision making process was in the boardroom and if anyone else was approached before Ole.

The focus on psychology with Ole is clear, he talked about the importance of the mental side just the other day.

If Ole keeps doing well then I have no issue with him getting the job - 5 wins in a row is actually unprecedented for a new manager so Ole certainly deserves credit regardless of opposition. I suppose we are all just waiting to see what happens in these big tests like Spurs and Arsenal that are coming up.

Out of interest, I had a closer look at his record in Norway (we briefly discussed it on the show but weren't sure of the fine details). As you mentioned, he won 2 titles immediately and then the cup in his 3rd season, worth noting that Molde had never won the league before that (they had a few 2nd places finishes and cup wins in their history). It was that achievement that actually got him the Cardiff job, IIRC he was in demand at the time and rejected Villa just before. Molde also won the league and cup double in the year after he left for Cardiff so it seems like he left them in good shape and was welcomed back after his failure at Cardiff. However since returning there in 2014 he hasnt won anything but did come 2nd for the last 2 seasons which gave them the European qualification.
  16. Jan 10, 2019

SqueakyWeasel Full Member

Finally! I'm all caught up!

All rather positive really :)

Good work chaps
  17. Jan 11, 2019

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

Bitesize chunk from the end of the last episode for those who cant handle the full shebang:

18. Jan 12, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

Nah, it's natural. Application of logical problem solving as to what went wrong innit'. So many times through the podcast I was just going "yeah but if the players didn't just arse out and take the piss they might have done that and things would have been different" it is the same logical deduction process.

I'm just glad it is Ole who is there, could not give a rats balls who else came after Ferguson. I want Ole to snag the position full time, would be amazing. I don't think the fans are ready to let go of the "Fergie magic" whether they will admit it or not. We'll just get another merry go round of "oh yay X manager came in, feck it's been two years why hasn't X manager own yet SACK HIM!" I genuinely believe that a manager from the SAF stock that the players will never turn on is what is needed to get this club back and winning again. The hierarchical structure has been blown to smithereens and has allowed players to just take the piss if they feel like it with zero consequences.

Minimize that with the Ole appointment and she's apples.