Hello all, Need very quick advice regarding my employment situation. I'd be grateful for any help. I have an interview coming up at a place where I really want to work. I was recommended for interview by a former colleague/mentor and I think I would really fit in there. Most importantly though, it's a permanent post and these are like gold dust in my field at the moment which is competitive at the best of times. Two months ago, I was interviewed elsewhere for a permanent post but came 2nd to a 'more experienced candidate' out of 120 applicants apparently (5 were shortlisted). However, I was offered a maternity cover contract at this place but rather than accepting straight away I requested time to think about it which was granted. Unfortunately, the maternity cover fell through before I could accept but I was holding out for a permanent post anyway. Earlier this morning, I received a call from the same place explaining that another post had come up on an 'initial one year contract'. Being stupidly honest and all, I didn't accept straight away and told them I have interviews lined up when asked. We left the conversation with an 'I'll let you know asap' so I need to call back within a few hours at the latest to accept. I definitely want to accept the offer to have something in the bank but I also want to go to the interview. If successful at interview, I shall accept the other offer and back out of the one I was offered today. This is apparently severely frowned upon in my field but I kind of feel I need to look after number one. It is unlikely that these potential employers can find out about my intentions as they are both located in different areas/authorities (albeit ones that are quite close by) and as far as I know, don't have any contact. I haven't given names of any of these employers to anyone. How should I play this one? What if I call the employer back today to accept and they ask whether or not I'm still attending the interview? What do you think I should say? Also, could I be taken to court or am I likely to be taken to court for backing out of a verbal agreement by a public sector body? I plan to call back and accept. Hopefully, they won't ask if I'm still going to interview. If they do, I shall have to be honest and declare my intentions to attend the interview. Maybe this will cause them to retract the offer or make it a permanent offer (the latter is unlikely). Then, if made another offer, I shall accept the new, permanent offer and withdraw from the other one. Bit of a cunts trick I know but I've got to think about me and my family first, right? Any help much appreciated!