VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pavl3n, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:34

Zlatan 7 Full Member

:lol: I know but you put the ... that I took to you implying you were obviously right :smirk: .
    We’ve had this technology since the 80’s, earlier maybe, I wonder why the wait to use it.

I see what you’re saying and I suppose it has helped get the fairest result more often than not when I’ve seen it, there’s been some real howlers too though.
    I just can’t help but have my doubts about it that’s all
  2. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:47

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Because the governing bodies have always been managed by people allergic to change. Now it's the complete opposite, new rules and new interpretations left, right and center
  3. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:55

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Ok i get your point. Don't disagree with it either, but if they're using this software for offside calls i'd have to believe it was after extensive and conclusive evidence of its accuracy. So effectively, those offside situations aren't "too close to call"

As for the Ajax goal, that was down to an overzealous ref :lol: (in fairness, it was a huge situation in a high profile CL knockout tie involving real madrid on the "bad" side of the call, with VAR having just been introduced to the competition. I can see why they'd get pedantic with that. Going forward it will get better)

Plus those kind of situations are a rarity
  4. Jun 10, 2019 at 23:09

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Football unlike, say, basketball, is a low scoring game.

Because football is attritional, territorial, and played over a large surface area with few rest breaks, the powers-that-be need to do everything possible to make sure the final result is reflective of performances and not just down to dumb luck.

Bearing in mind that the average number of goals per game is only 2.6, refereeing errors often play a bigger role in the final outcome than they do in almost any other sport.

To come back to basketball, teams scoring dozens of baskets are eventually going to even out any officiating mistakes over the course of a game. Football doesn't have that luxury. Therefore it behooves the law makers to get the two or three most important decisions per match correct.

VAR is the best way to keep football fair. Yes, it detracts from the immediacy of old. But it adds its own drama and ensures that the referee's disposition is no longer the biggest single influence on matches.

It's no different from adding linesman to the officiating team. VAR is simply about adding extra reviewers with a different vantage point to help the ref make the final correct decision.
  5. Jun 11, 2019 at 05:53

RochaRoja Full Member

And also used in many situations which aren’t clear and obvious which is stupid and ruining the game.
  6. Jun 11, 2019 at 06:01

RochaRoja Full Member

We know this. We’re just saying it’s shit.

VAR should only be used when the referee has missed something really significant like Zidane’s headbutt, Maradona’s handball, Pirès’ dive and Drogba’s offside. Not to put a fine toothcomb through every goal looking for a reason to disallow it.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 at 06:28

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Even if it's been scored by a handball, I'm sure England would have loved to have the VAR back then vs Argentina or Ireland vs Henry. I'm being pedantic on purpose but it's a matter of defining "significant". This is what many people will have different opinions on it
  8. Jun 11, 2019 at 06:56

Wumminator The Special One!

Well. Turns out VAR is properly shit. Bin it off I say
  9. Jun 11, 2019 at 15:20

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Request denied.
  10. Jun 15, 2019 at 02:44

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Watching Copa currently. Referee is Mic'd up and you can clearly hear him discussing with the VAR team when viewing incidents (In portuguese though I assume so no idea what is being said). FA should 100% Mic up the Ref's for VAR and have them clearly explain every decision they make. E.g Player has moved hand to ball so it is a pen. Contact has been made etc.
  11. Jun 15, 2019 at 02:53

JamiePollocksOG New Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    A message for all.

I'm currently trying to find out which person decides which tv replay's should be shown to the referee?
    Is it the media match producer?
    Is it an official?
    Is it a member of the Premier League or FA?
    And how is this person vetted prior to a game?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  12. Jun 15, 2019 at 14:00

awop New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I would guess the 3/4 man VAR team review every angle they have at their disposal and when the ref checks, they feed him the angle that makes the most sense to take a decision. The referee would need to ask for another angle if he's not sure.Usualy we see the ref only watching one angle multiple times and deciding on that.
    The match producer don't have any input in what the referee sees on its screen.