VAR will be used in the FA cup game between Man Utd and Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by roonster09, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Thoughts?

Hopefully Smalling will cut down his holding the players jersey thing when defending but with VAR if they play like they did at OT, surely they won't end up playing with 11?
  2. Feb 9, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

The match will go on forever.
  3. Feb 9, 2018

Oscie Full Member

All other arguments about how utterly incompatible with the game the whole current implementation of VAR is, and those who are wrong and disagree - surely it's wrong to trial anything in some games in a competition and not others? It isn't a level playing field. Either all matches in a round of cup games should have VAR or none of them.

I don't get how that's been allowed to happen, quite frankly.
  4. Feb 9, 2018

Unmutual Full Member

I don't see how this can be said to advantage, or disadvantage, the teams using VAR vs those without it?
  5. Feb 9, 2018

Oscie Full Member

It isn't about advantage or disadvantage, it's about the principle of it being wrong that two games in the same competition are going to be refereed differently. A team without VAR could concede a goal from an illegal and deliberate handball, the other team will get the illegal and deliberate handball goal scored against them reviewed and chalked off. You shouldn't introduce something for one game in a competition and not others. If they suddenly come up with a new offside rule it'd be wrong if they decided it'd be trialled in our match with Newcastle this Sunday but at no other games that weekend. It's neither an advantage nor disadvantage but wrong that games in the same competition should be played under different rules - or in this case a different way of officiating.
  6. Feb 9, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Knowing our luck it'll backfire against us I'm sure.

Smalling, Young and Lindelof should stay from this game.
  7. Feb 9, 2018

Anirudh Full Member

This is good stuff. I've been waiting to see how it will impact a proper game, if at all. Should be great, and will hopefully result in a fair game.

Rugby tackles like the one on McTominnay in the last HUD game will be off the table!!
  8. Feb 9, 2018

StonedhamsterZA Full Member

They had it in a game just recently, think it was a Liverpool game, and Craig Pawson checked VAR far too much. It was too distracting, I feel.

If this is an eventuality to the modern game, then there's not much we can say. But I'd rather deal with the occasional ref error, and have more stringent retroactive bans for players diving and dangerous tackles.
  9. Feb 9, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I can't wait for us to get screwed over by the video ref.

I hope they've had a little chat about how to properly implement the system. It doesn't need to be used for every little decision and the video ref should see every available angle/slo-mo version of events. It's insane that those watching on TV had a more crucial view of the Willian penalty/dive incident from the other night than the video ref had.
  10. Feb 9, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Fingers crossed, lesse how fair it'll pan out.
  11. Feb 9, 2018

T00lsh3d Full Member

Totally agree, but then again, it is the FA
  12. Feb 9, 2018

Unmutual Full Member

They're already refereed differently - we have lots of different referees. Each has their own abilities and will interpret events differently. Refereeing is clearly not a constant in football.

That would be a rule change, which is totally different.
  13. Feb 9, 2018

Ian Reus Full Member

This shouldn't even be an issue if we play our game.
  14. Feb 9, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

But onr match has no influence on another. If it was a league i would agree. In a knock out cup competition it has no effect.

Var is shit though. Absolute shambles of a system.
  15. Feb 9, 2018

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Bold prediction time: We will not be singing VAR's praises at the end of the game.
  16. Feb 9, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

The biggest issue with VAR is the referee gets see the replay. That slows everything down. Its either yes or no.
  17. Feb 9, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Yeah that’s the main issue with it, some referees are going to be worse than others in picking the right moments to use it.

If it’s going to be rolled out, I think it should be a bit like Tennis and each team should have two strikes. If they successfully appeal a decision, they get to keep the strike.

That way there will be a more frugal approach to their use. I guess you could argue that they could be abused in the latter stages of the game as a time wasting tactic but it would be easy to ensure exactly the right time is accounted for.
  18. Feb 9, 2018

GE Negative Moaning Mentalist

If Fergie isn’t at the stadium, you can be damn sure he’ll be in Stockley Park, near Heathrow Airport.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

In the Totally Football podcast, they mentioned a match in Portugal where a fan blocked the VAR camera and hence it couldn't judge whether an offside goal was actually offside. These kind of things need to weeded out.

People are only willing to change the pace of the game if it cuts out these blatantly wrong decisions but if VAR is itself a hit or miss system then does it justify the compromises?
  20. Feb 9, 2018

I know the way rugby does it's "stop the clock" timing would never transition to footie, sadly, this would be a GREAT opportunity to introduce it.

I mean, VAR is such an artificial part of the game, they should literally stop the game time on this. It wouldn't stamp out gamesmanship altogether, but it would help.

Also, in terms of your tennis or cricket style appeal idea, I think it's great. My only question is that not ALL VAR referrals are team driven? Aren't some initiated by the ref? So even limiting it to 2 referrals for each team would be a great idea, I think it's still going to be slowed down by ref's like Pawson, as the end result of this technology is referee's trusting their own decisions less and less.
  21. Feb 9, 2018

I'm not a fan of VAR at all, so my answer would be no. Referee's have always made the odd wrong decision. It's never drastically favored one team or penalised another. These things balance out in the long run.

If they don't have technology available like the Goal Line tech which is instant and infallible for instances of offside, where it would be welcome, we shouldn't be using VAR.
  22. Feb 9, 2018

Smores Full Member

It really isn't any different to the ref conferring with his linesman or the guy behind the goal (do they still do that in certain games?).

The refs just need proper training on when its appropriate to do so, as above at the moment the ref could go and speak to each official if he wanted but he doesn't.

It should be rolled out only for certain events which have a natural stop anyway, pen appeals, dubious tackle/goals etc
  23. Feb 9, 2018

kps88 Full Member

Matchday thread will be double in length thanks to all the moaning.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Scout

They defo learn a lot from cricket about how to keep the fans informed about what is going on.
  25. Feb 9, 2018

Dennis Viollet New Member

excellent
    VAR is a good thing
  26. Feb 9, 2018

I think if they could get some technology that was 100% accurate with offsides, same as goal line tech, then the rest can be decided by the ref, without technology. That, combined with post match analysis for any dirty play will be more than sufficient to keep the players honest and keep the game flowing.
  27. Feb 9, 2018

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    All for it. Maybe they'll think twice about trying to play rugby.
  28. Feb 9, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I'm not in favour of a team-mandated referral system for football's video tech, though I like the system in tennis and cricket.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think for football and rugby it is a bigger ask to let the manager/captain get together to discuss in a timely fashion whether they should use their review or not, whereas in cricket all the fielders are stood around the play looking at the same things (ball, bat, point of impact on pads etc.) and in tennis it is one player who makes the call.

VAR was brought in to remove the nightmare calls from the game, which aim I think will be better served by a honed system in hands of the officials than with adding an unruly, though interesting, extra tactical dimension to the opposing teams.
  29. Feb 9, 2018

Havak Pokemon master

I'm really not bothered. I can understand every argument put forward, but deeming certain games worthy of VAR testing and others not works both ways. In the organisers opinions, fans opinions, clubs opinions etc. The only way to test it is to just do it, at every level, in every competition. I'm sure it will balance out that nearly every side has played a game or two using it and can give their own feedback.
  30. Feb 9, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Yup, cricket turn it into a spectacle. Get the decision up on a screen and have a bit of a build up to it. It’s great theatre.
  31. Feb 9, 2018

Sylar Full Member

Im all for it but the roll out and introduction of this has been a whole mess. VAR will truly be in place when stadiums install big screens for the crowd there to see, then you have the video shown on the big screen whilst people are waiting (so they can see whats being reviewed). Kinda like NFL. And of course, the ref conversation should be mic'd and heard
  32. Feb 9, 2018

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Scout

I guess our score board is a bit shit though.
  33. Feb 9, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

You just have to look at the Liverpool v Spurs match where he went over to the linesman to talk for almost a minute and you could hear one of them say they had no clue if the Liverpool player had the touched the ball. So instead of them standing there talking when they didn't even see it they may as well be reviewing the tape.
  34. Feb 9, 2018

Big Andy Is really a midget

WAit for the media shitstorm when we benefit from a VAR decision
  35. Feb 9, 2018

Njord New Member

Another problem with the system is to determine how far back you should go. With the McTomanay penalty in the last games against Huddersfield, there was a push from Lukaku in the situation just before, and from what I heard (didn't get to see a good replay) there was an offside from the initial free kick.

So even if the situation in itself is a penalty, and at least a yellow card, how far back do you go. I know I would be furious if United conceded a penalty if the ref could see from a replay that we should have had a free kick two seconds before the penalty situation.

And if the push isn't a free kick, or it doesn't happen, do you go back to the offside, which happens ten seconds earlier? It is part of the same situation after all, and it would be wrong to give a penalty when there is an offside in the lead up. But how far back do you go?
  36. Feb 9, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Weird that it's our players getting bashed in some posts in this thread, considering the opposition and how their game plan last week was just to kick the feck out of anyone in a red shirt who had the ball. Yet we should be the ones who are worried. Ok then.
  37. Feb 9, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Needs to follow rugby union .. you see the 6 Nations games and refs are (1) good enough to make most of their own decisions (correctly) and (2) VAR (or TMO in rugby) is pretty slick "Nigel is there any reason I CAN'T award that try?" i.e. the ref thinks it's ok but maybe recognises that the player was close to touch so wants to check. Rugby refs use it to check stuff they didn't have a good angle on, I can see football refs using it due to lack of confidence in making own decisions.
  38. Feb 9, 2018

buchansleftleg Full Member

For me it should only be used like tennis or old NFL style where each team can challenge 2 on the field rulings. If they are vindicated they get the challenge back. It should only be available to be used after ref has stopped play so you could only challenge for offside / foul in run-up to goal, or should have been a penalty etc.
  39. Feb 9, 2018

CA1 New Member

This is the true test for VAR in our country.

If Huddersfield get a decision from it, it will be the best thing since sliced bread. If we benefit from a decision then it will be never used again.

Generally, I'm very fearful actually. We see incidents over and over again and we still can't get it right.
  40. Feb 9, 2018

Smores Full Member

Exactly these issues already exist but all referring issues will get labelled as VAR issues until we get used to it.

It's just an additional tool, it can't be wrong, it will be a benefit or a drag dependent on the referee using it.