VAR will be used in the FA cup game between Man Utd and Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by roonster09, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:devil:
  2. Feb 9, 2018

Big Andy Is really a midget

Rugby only use it for grounding of the ball, offside and whether they're in touch or not...all easy to check...
  3. Feb 9, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

A hit off the ground without the ball like that would see a rugby player getting the line
  4. Feb 9, 2018

That would be a theological question, Ted.
  5. Feb 9, 2018

Ikon Full Member

Personally, I thought it was awful, and despite the VAR being used, I still wasn't 100% convinced that the correct decisions were being made anyway.
    Its a thumbs down from me.
  6. Feb 9, 2018

IndyDC New Member

It's so flawed, because they don't apply it everywhere.

A second yellow could have a huge impact on the game, but you're not allowed to review yellow card decisions. And even if the referee makes an error, he doesn't have to overturn it, under the guise it wasn't a "clear and obvious mistake". Can see the likes of Oliver having a field day with that excuse.
  7. Feb 9, 2018

Redguern Full Member

I think you find that is actually an ecumenical matter ;)
  8. Feb 9, 2018

Oh, and indeed, and begging your pardon, your very honourable bishopship. Of course; you are correct, and I stand meekly corrected. I always seem to get my terminology mixed up at important moments. I will endeavour never ever to embarrass myself in this respect in the future. You-come-in-y-cal.
  9. Feb 9, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Well, we've only just played them in the league where I saw a team of thugs going into one reckless challenge after another. It was also the most obvious pen a ref has missed this season, with an assault against McTominey he was lucky to walk away from.

So instead of them being shit and nasty, I'm hoping they'll just be shit.
  10. Feb 9, 2018

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

It's available if needed but might not be used like the tweet says.
  11. Feb 9, 2018

Robindinho New Member

So long as it doesn’t take vary long. :p
  12. Feb 9, 2018

red_devil83 Banned

Of course refereeing decisions drastically effect things. Jose Mourninho's and consequently Chelskis entire recent history could be totally different if Scholes hadn't been given offside in our game against Porto (when 3 players were clearly playing him onside). We would've won the tie and probably the CL. Mourinho wouldn't've been Chelski manager, they may never have won the league, etc etc

Plenty of sliding door moments based on bad refereeing decisions.
  13. Feb 9, 2018

Antisocial Has a Sony home cinema

I'm of the view that United suffer more from referee mistakes than we benefit, it's just that you never hear about the latter from outside of United fans whilst the former become national debates, sometimes for years - so I welcome it.

The problem is of course that referees are still the ones making the decisions, and can therefore still get it wrong even with technology showing them what actually happened, but it's probably unavoidable to have it that way.

Whether this system with the current arrangements and areas of review will be sufficient or not is the question, but without trial then it will never get any better, so lets make the best of it.
  14. Feb 9, 2018

RuudTom83 Full Member

I know it is still early days for VAR but I’d prefer it to be used similar to tennis, and give both managers 3 appeals to use VAR.

That way the referee can just get on with referring the game.
  15. Feb 9, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Great to see that is being used in one of our games.
    Hopefully, it will prevent game changing (incorrect) decisions from being made.
    Of course, it still relies on the referee using it. If he decides not to bother consulting the VAR system and just makes decisions based on what he saw (which may or may not be wrong), then it counts for very little.
    I'm looking forward to this...and giving Huddersfield a spanking (after they beat us earlier in the season).
  16. Feb 9, 2018

Momochiru Full Member

Can't wait. Love VAR
  17. Feb 9, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

"Sanchez evades taxes better than tackles!!"
  18. Feb 9, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

Don't want it. The West Brom v Liverpool match was awful because the intrusion of VAR.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

Thecarrickfan_2016 Banned

I'm not a fan of VAR at all. I don't like it. It creates too much hassle for my liking.
  20. Feb 9, 2018

Shiva87 Full Member

I assumed that the player would have had the ball - but I see your point as well!
  21. Feb 9, 2018

Hitchez Full Member

I don't understand this whatsoever.

Would you rather a game be decided by which teams play the better football or by a referees whistle (or lack of it)?

Referees are only human an will make mistakes. In fact, I'm actually surprised by how much they get right and don't really get the credit they deserve. VAR will ensure less refereeing errors and that can only be good for the game.

You can have a discussion of how to implement it but it should definitely be implemented. I'd personally go with the Cricket/Tennis route. Referee picking and choosing the occasions doesn't sit right with me. Let the captains decide and get on with it.
  22. Feb 9, 2018

Best thing with VAR is hope its not our dodgy decision(s) that gets sorted, but theirs.
  23. Feb 9, 2018

Oscie Full Member

My main gripe is that it's going to fundamentally impact and change every game playedfor the sake of avoiding very occasional important decisions the officials get wrong.

Hype aside, how many games each season are marred by egregious decisions that weren't close calls, 60/40 judgement decisions or minor human error? Is that reallyworth a reality where pressure will eventually (and successfully) be on referees to review every single goal scored if there is the slightest of doubt?

Referees aren't perfect but so far VAR seems by far the greater of the two evils.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

I for one welcome our new VAR overlords ;)
  25. Feb 9, 2018

Red Royal New Member

it's early days for CAR. reckon in a few years those moaning now will moan that it didn't arrive earlier :-)
  26. Feb 9, 2018

Hitchez Full Member

Change is not really bad if it's going to result in better decisions being made. Too many games over the course of a season have sloppy refereeing decisions for VAR not to be a must.

VAR needs to be ironed out but I don't see any justification for suggesting it's by far the greater of the two evils. If more accurate decisions are being made then clearly VAR is the way to go.
  27. Feb 9, 2018

pigface Full Member

28. Feb 9, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

It's good to use technology but the problem for me that it takes much time to call some suspicious decision.
  29. Feb 9, 2018

Pacificgi Full Member

Not only do we have to pay the ref but we now have to pay the guy in charge of VAR. Take it out of Smallings wages when he avoids giving away a pen
  30. Feb 9, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

Because we all love sitting around for ages no knowing what's going on. That's what football is all about.
  31. Feb 9, 2018

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Shit just gone down with this VAR in the Juventus game. What a bag of shite.
  32. Feb 10, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

The game won't finish until 9pm. and Smalling will want to cut out the holding or concede a penalty and be sent off.
  33. Feb 10, 2018

Oscie Full Member

There does seem to be something of wilful denial of the problems VAR creates, dismissed as 'teething problems' as if calling something a teething problem means there is an inevitability it'll magically somehow disappear through a combination of not being negative and blind faith.

The purpose of a trial is surely to see what the problems are and find a way of addressing them. Instead we seem to be at the stage of playing down the problems and set about resolving them by simply repeating that they will be resolved, without interest as to how. I really struggle with the idea that accuracy trumps all else. For me the flow of the game, the emotion of goal celebrations are worth the very occasional awful decision vs having a sterilised, constantly reviewed, stop-start product where every goal where even a slight doubt exists about what happened in the build-up are subject to review.

Was there an offside? Let's see that again

Was there a shirt tug in the build up? Let's see that again

Should play be pulled back for a handball 40 seconds before the goal? Let's see that again

For me that's a really shitty trade off to ensure that all these egregious refereeing decisions that tellingly nobody can mention more than 2 or 3 of in all the years they've been football fans, possibly being avoided. I don't want the eruption of emotion when the ball hits the net being replaced by a signal that we've time to nip out for a quick piss whilst the ref reviews the video evidence and make sure everything is kosher.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  34. Feb 10, 2018

Hitchez Full Member

I don't see any wilful denial of the problems. What I do see the are benefits of VAR being disregarded in the name of emotion or flow of the game. That is far more problematic. Football isn't the first sport where referral systems have been resisted in the name of emotion of the game being disrupted. All of them come around to it eventually because there is a net positive effect i.e better, more consistent decisions get made.

The two biggest problems that I see with VAR are the time it takes and the fact that crowd aren't aware of whats going on. Both are easily fixable with a bit thought put into it.
  35. Feb 10, 2018

Paul778 New Member

Just watching the rugby. This is how this stuff should work.

We need to hear the ref and the VAR ref during VAR incidents.

Edit: Having a GoPro on the ref is also a great idea
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  36. Feb 10, 2018

Oscie Full Member

Not sure why, we don't hear referees now when the collaborate with the linesman or chat to the captain about one of his team mates being a bit excitable or come over and chat with the 4th official if he's spotted something. If there's a goal and and referee is watching a screen isn't it self-evident he's reviewing to see something that might be untoward about the goal in the same way as if there's a goal now and he chats with the linesman it's self-evident he's seeing if there was something untoward about the goal, which is a conversation we don't hear.

Outrage and decisions will be replaced by outrage as to what the referee has/hasn't said and the way he has/hasn't said it.

"OMG! He didn't even mention the elbow on our number 4 - biased wanker and he sounds like a prick. Breathing heavy - not fit!"
  37. Feb 10, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

I can’t believe how incompetent the FA has been with VAR.

Surely the most obvious way to bring this in was to wait until next season and trial it in the Championship or League one. At least then any mistakes are not being highlighted so blatantly on live tv. At the same time all the stadium should have been fitted with a large screen to let the fans in the stadium know what decision has been made.

The errors so far have been farcical. Rugby has had this system for over 20 years and apparently not once has the Premier League contacted them. Similarly most other leagues are also trialling the system so how come there are so many mistakes going on everywhere? At the moment for me it’s causing more problems than its worth and in fact incorrect decisions are still being made by the system. I still don’t think the Salah penalty against West Brom was a pen, he clearly dived when tapped on the shoulder.
  38. Feb 10, 2018

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    Agreed. At least, everything on each round should be refereed the same.
  39. Feb 10, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

I completely agree with this and imo the decision should be based purely on what the referee wants to review. If there is a foul in the box and he awards a penalty decision it should be based on that decision only. The fact a player was offside before this shouldn’t matter, it was missed by the linesman and referee previously.

Otherwise how many offside decisions will be reviewed by this system? The only time an offside should be reviewed is if a goal is scored within 2 passes to an offside player.
  40. Feb 10, 2018

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

One thing I don’t get is that video of Jon Moss asking over the radio if the 4th official has seen anything on the TV monitor at the dug out, before awarding a pen anyway.
    Then Geoff Shreeves tweeted that the 4th officially 100% didn’t check the monitor, so Moss was in the wrong to just award it. I assume VAR wasn’t being used cause it was a Prem game, so it seems they check Geoff’s monitor anyway? What’s the craic?