VAR

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pavl3n, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jan 11, 2019

Rafaeldagold New Member

Here’s an opinion piece from the Guardian a year ago- really good points:

‘Refereeing decisions are not the real problem here. The real problem is the ludicrously disproportionate attention devoted to discussing refereeing decisions. The number of actual injustices, as opposed to disagreements, is minuscule next to this overwhelming fog of rage.

Let’s face it, people are the problem here. Like the block button on Twitter, like silent touchlines and anger management courses, VAR is just another attempt to cope with and soothe and manage their feelings of disempowerment and alienation. It is people’s rage that demands this, more than any meaningful search for objective truth.

This is not cricket, where TV replays can establish the definite truth of angles and nicks. More than any other sport football constantly presses itself up against the limits of its own laws, relying on continual judgment calls simply to function at all. There is no objective truth in football. Instead the idea is to play the game at the very edge of what is defined as football and what is defined as foul, an interpretation of various physical movements that depends on the application of a set of descriptive words. What amounts to a grey area is itself a grey area. The areas for debate are always up for debate.
  2. Jan 11, 2019

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Dont agree with the Guardian point above. In English football there are big refereeing issues frequently.

E.g, just off top of my head in last two weeks. Shelvey tackle on Pogba and Kompany tackle on Salah very clear red cards.

We've had 4 incorrect offside descions in last 4 gaming resulting in 3 goals chalked off incorrectly and one given.

Refereeing is absolutely woeful and they can't even implement VAR properly.

English referees are the laughing stock of world football.
  3. Jan 11, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    They're probably the best in the world, if you think english refs are bad then you don't watch other leagues consistently.
  4. Jan 11, 2019

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I watch more Spanish football than English.

Aware of controversy in recent Madrid / Barcelona games. Posted earlier in the thread and la Liga thread. I understand the referees process in those games. Marginal decisions but I thought they were ok.

Saw Lyon Strasbourg as well recently and thought the referee got things right there too. First pen a bit soft, fekir one stonewall.

True though, there could be leagues I don't watch where is worse.
  5. Jan 11, 2019

mitchmouse Full Member

VAR is a must. I'm sure there was a fuss when goal-line technology was first mooted but it has made a fantastic difference
  6. Jan 11, 2019

Rafaeldagold New Member

No there wasn’t a fuss about goal line technology as it’s a simple yes/no question & doesn’t interfere with the game.

I was 100% in support of goal line technology & 100% against VAR.
  7. Jan 11, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    It is easier to update rules, implement change and enforce consistency with a system in place. VAR can be that. You can train refs up to a point but there will always be wrong calls due to the refs being humans, you might have a bad view, different interpretations of rules etc. With VAR there exists this possibility of enforcing consistency beyond what was possible before. A ref will have limited potential to improve, but a panel with video footage have no excuse for not finding consistency through storing info and then applying it in the same way every time.
  8. Jan 11, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    I'm confused, he's in offside, why wouldn't anyone agree with it?

Mind you, he's in offside again, after that time they stopped the footage.

Actually, never mind me, didn't interfere at all with the play. I think it's a feck up from the refs. Still not a fault of VAR.

EDIT#2: Never mind again, at the end, it was a fair decision due to first offside, but yeah, doesn't seem to be great usage of the VAR there. Not sure how to do it though, if assistant didn't raise the flag at first?
  9. Jan 11, 2019

Rafaeldagold New Member

I just love how simple & quick VAR is & leading to no confusion whatsoever.

Oh wait.
  10. Jan 11, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Ref doesn't seem confused.
  11. Jan 11, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    There's an offside but Sevilla got possession of the ball, lost it and only then was it a goal. How far back can VAR go to invalidate a goal?
  12. Jan 11, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Odd use of it in the Benfica match just now for anyone watching.

Thought it was penalty on first viewing and now he sends off the Benfica player?!:lol:

Edit: Oh wait, free kick on edge of the box. Surely the contact continued inside the area?!

Double edit: VAR confusing me, it was Santa Clara player red carded, for what I don't have a clue as it was a foul on them. Thought Benfica were in red tonight.
  13. Jan 11, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Actually on engaging my brain I've now realised it's all perfectly logical. Problem was I thought Benfica were playing in red (they're in white) as Santa Clara's shirt looks exactly like Benfica home kit!
  14. Jan 11, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Another win for VAR! ;)
  15. Jan 11, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    No chance that was a red card though. Incredibly harsh
  16. Jan 12, 2019

awop New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I hope you don't plan on becoming a VAR referee :lol::lol:
    About the video on the previous page, surely that has to be considered a "new" sequence of play. The guy that was offside didn't interfere at all with the following move.
  17. Jan 12, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Did he get sent off for being a percieved last man or for arguing with the ref? I too was a bit bemused when he got the red (think he was orginally booked)....when I eventually worked out which team was which!