VAR

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pavl3n, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jan 29, 2018

GBBQ Full Member

Come on, you can criticize VAR as a system and still want better decisions to be made in the game. VAR is too slow at the moment and that is ruining the flow of games.
  2. Jan 29, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

Has anyone
  3. Jan 29, 2018

712 Formerly '711' but that was a ridiculous username! Scout

The people who do the most moaning about referees are the same people that want VAR. They will still moan whether VAR is extended or not, it's in their nature.
  4. Jan 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I personally hardly know anyone at all who never moans at a ref. Moaning at the ref is human nature. Being cheated out of something should make you moan. That's why we should do everything to limit those situations.

@GBBQ
    I agree it's not optimally implemented yet, but I was talking about people who don't want any form of VAR at all.
  5. Jan 29, 2018

SteveTheRed Full Member

A lot of teething problems at the moment, but it needed to happen. I question why it is being trialled now with a view to being used in the biggest football competition going at the World Cup. Personally would have said lets trial it in as many second divisions around the world we can, Championship, Serie B, La Liga 2. Where all eyes are not watching but it's still serious competition.
  6. Jan 29, 2018

Viral United Full Member

You can celebrate, no one will point gun on your head till VAR conform.
    It's up to you to celebrate.

Yes Cricket is different sport but bottom line is, VAR like system successfully working in very different sports like Tennis, Cricket, Rugby, its safe to say that it could easily work in Football.

As for empty stadium comment, you need to improve your knowledge.
  7. Jan 29, 2018

Viral United Full Member

I agree with this, it should be check in low level competition first.
    The only reason it look like lack of technology available on that competition, but I might be wrong.
  8. Jan 29, 2018

I personally know some people that moan a hell of a lot more than others about refereeing 'mistakes'. In general a large percentage of those decisions aren't mistakes anyway, but you can guarantee 100% of them are against their own team. And they are the ones that want VAR. Why should the rest of us see our game bollocksed up because of a bunch of soft gits like that?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Jan 29, 2018

SteveTheRed Full Member

Yes seems that way.

But what we have now is huge televised games where millions are watching and criticising a system that has hardly been used in a real world scenario.
  10. Jan 29, 2018

Red_Legion New Member

When they first started talking about VAR you think "yes, finally". Then you listened to naysayers talking about how it ruin the game for one reason or another and could not understand why they would think that. "Its a net positive, no more shoddy decisions, the better team will win now!" Well that all probably true still but they are gonna have to do something to ease it in better.

The Liverpool game was bordering on parody, I could not believe how many times the ref went to it like he had this new toy and he needed to put it to the paces. I did not see the game so maybe(probably) MOTD were playing it up but they made it seem like nothing of note happened except for the VAR.

The ref has the right to use it as much as he sees fit but the implementation made the whole thing seem worse than it was. Maybe Samsung will come out with a paper thing, foldable tablet screen that the ref can carry with him when he needs to use replays and he can use that instead of jogging back and forth. If they insist on the pitch ref making the final say then its gonna slow the whole thing down.
  11. Jan 29, 2018

OneFootball New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It is a tad slow at present but that will be sorted in time. But at the end of the day, it gets more decisions right and that has to be the simple goal of it all. Look at Liverpool/West Brom, and Klopp alluded to it in his post match presser, had we not got a penalty and had the West Brom goal stood, then Klopp could be saying; we should have had a pen and their 3rd was offside..... Instead VAR gave the decisions and we all can admit that West Brom deservedly won because they were better on the night and not because they got decisions they’re way.
  12. Jan 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Because some decisions are too big to leave up to the perception of 1 guy running around on the pitch. It's not just about beauty, it's a multi billion euro / pound industry. It's ridiculous to leave this much responsibility on 1 person who get's it wrong quite often.

As I said, it's not optimal the way they implemented it now, but not implementing it at all is equally silly. It's just that it's change, and people don't like change.

Ofc this is all just my humble opinion ;)
  13. Jan 29, 2018

It is only opinion, no offence intended. I have to admit I might be less open-minded than I should be because people whingeing about refs has always been one of my pet hates about football, I'm a get on with the game sort, whether watching or playing. If VAR was likely to shut the whingers up a bit I might be more receptive, I just don't think it will.
  14. Jan 29, 2018

Viral United Full Member

Good point,
    As someone said if it remove 1% of wrong decision than it worth it,
    Yes the time taken to make decision should be less, but it can improve once we implement technology.
  15. Jan 29, 2018

montpelier Full Member

what I think so far if you're going to have it, not sure at all though, tbh

1 - it has to check every goal maybe via a ''30 second''<-- :rolleyes:, delay to play restarting has to be fixed in
    2 - VAR is like God with a red button to stop play when he sees something obviously wrong happening - penalty, red card - the VAR man (or woman, obvs) presses this to ask for a review, effectively
    3 - actual ref isn't asking all the time, it's very mostly kept away from him, until he get's the big word from above
  16. Jan 29, 2018

marlowe78 Full Member

After watching the Liverpool game, VAR seems a long way off from being a reliable system in England. Someone might correct me, but I haven't heard anything about the system being tested for a period of time in the lower leagues and age groups, where they would be able to iron things out before introducing it to the higher levels. It would make far more sense to run trials in the U18s, U23s, reserves, League 1/League 2 etc. before trialing it in a game at freaking Anfield with so many issues left uncovered.

BTW, will it always be referees who serve as VAR and not a staff that are apart from the referees? I wanted to cry when I heard that Andre Marriner was the person doing this! :houllier:
  17. Jan 29, 2018

Bobski Full Member

Yes, and those are the worst games to watch, or even to play in. Was watching basketball last night, and in the last 2 mins the refs are allowed more leeway in checking incidents. There was an offensive goal-tending call, 4 mins to come to a conclusion, and even in a sport with that many stoppages(14 2 min timeouts, free throws, broadcaster timeouts) the commentators were complaining about the disruption. Imagine 3 or 4 of those type of stoppages a half in football.
  18. Jan 29, 2018

Zlatan 7 New Member

Supports:
    United
    Refreshing to hear dave Wagners views on this and I totally agree with him.
    Hopefully a few higher profile managers will follow him and put a stop to this nonsense
  19. Jan 29, 2018

ti vu Full Member

One more thing about team chasing for result. It's potential lowering momentum while the other team has time to regroup
  20. Jan 29, 2018

Reducation Full Member

Citing the shameful amounts of money that now permeate high-end football as justification for VAR is bum-faced idiocy. The money came because the game is well-liked; and now because the money is present the game must change? To serve the money? Almost poetic stupidity.
  21. Jan 29, 2018

OneFootball New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    To get full value of it, there will need to be a number of camera angles. This is really only possible at PL level. I thought it worked perfectly well at Anfield!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2018
  22. Jan 30, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

With all the negativity about VAR, here's some good that has come from it:

23. Jan 30, 2018

Sigma Full Member

Yeah. In those situations nobody can complain since the VAR is being used when there is a stoppage in the game due to an injury.
  24. Jan 30, 2018

soap Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

Couldn't care less if I occasionally have to wait 30 more seconds to see Bale's wanky heart celebration or Lingard's oh-so-funny dances.

I do get the point, and if it were going to be the case that every goal was going to require a mandatory review then I would also be against it. That is not the case, and the way some people are talking about this you'd think that it was.

Red cards too, as the Mbappe clip above demonstrates. Literally no one wants it to be used for corners.

No it doesn't. Why would it? As if there is some sort of benevolent cosmic force ensuring that every team ends up with the exact amount of points that they would have had if the numerous refereeing howlers we see weekly were called correctly.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  25. Jan 30, 2018

Carolina Red Moderator Staff

Word. The clip above is definitely a good case for the proper use of VAR.
  26. Jan 30, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Worked perfectly. But feck me I hate Mbappe's reaction. Like he doesn't deserve to get sent off after a reckless and cynical tackle raking his studs down Sarrs leg injuring him in the process.
  27. Jan 31, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I didn't watch the match live, but seeing the highlight at full speed. It's easy to spot this foul as sent off worthy. Is it VAR worthy or a good referee could have spotted it in the first place?
  28. Feb 3, 2018

Anustart89 Full Member

So, who still thinks it's a net negative for the game to have VAR? The standard of refereeing is abysmal.
  29. Feb 3, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I agree. I don’t give a feck about the cons, I want the right calls god damn it!
  30. Feb 4, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Get it in there.
  31. Feb 5, 2018

11101 Full Member

Another point scored to VAR. Jon Moss heard saying "I have no idea whether (Lovren) touched the ball" but still gives the penalty. Right decision in the end, but by a fluke that VAR would have eliminated.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

peridigm Full Member

As long as it doesn’t allow commercial breaks to be shown while they’re reviewing I think it should be introduced.

That’s why I can’t watch American sports. 60 minute game takes over 4 hours.
  33. Feb 7, 2018

Zebs Clare Bald'ings Daughter

:lol:
  34. Feb 11, 2018

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    We just got a goal invalidated after a very soft foul in our own midfield 30 seconds before the goal happened. It's ridiculous. It wasn't even in the same play, the other team still had the ball and we won it again.

How far back in time can VAR go?
  35. Feb 11, 2018

I think for the inland revenue it's six years.
  36. Feb 11, 2018

SLBenfica1904 Full Member

Supports:
    SLBenfica
    Soft or not, a foul is a foul. If that soft fool happened just before the goal it would be rightly invalidated. I don't know exactly the rule but i guess it doesn't have nothing to do with time but in the same play. As you said, the other team recovered the ball before the goal so it doesn't make any sense do invalidate the goal. The rules need to be clear about it and the referees and VAR need to know those rules preferably.
  37. Feb 13, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43046791

What's the point of destroying the flow of the game when major decisions that change the outcome of the game are often still wrong?
  38. Feb 17, 2018 at 18:20

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    :lol: What a load of fecking shite!
  39. Feb 17, 2018 at 18:21

The Stain Soccer Manager's Highwayman

Unreal. Bollocks.
  40. Feb 17, 2018 at 18:22

Shane88 Full Member

Drawing lines free-hand. Couldn't make this shit up.