1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice
Victor Lindelof image Sweden flag

Victor Lindelof 2018-19 Performances

Jump to: Barcelona 3:0 Man Utd

View full 2018-19 profile

6.3 Average rating
36 Appearances
1 Goal
1 Assist
8 Clean sheets
3 Yellow cards
  1. Apr 11, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

Which makes the entire premise of equating all of this to 'how good of a defender are you?' absolutely ridiculous. People need to get it out of hteir head that how good on the ball you are complements how good of a defender you are, just blindly (geddit) yelling that you're good on the ball and trying to excuse the lack of defensive ability has to be one of the more bizarre modern discussion trajectories in football at the moment.
  2. Apr 11, 2019

A-man Full Member

I don’t think anybody has ever said that comfortable on the ball is the only important quality. Lindelof has been defending good this season so I don’t really understand what or who you’re aiming at.

Also wondering what some posters are expecting from the defence. That they will completely shut down Messi, Suarez and Coutinho? Well, United were close; Barcelona had very few chances and it took an own goal for them to score.

Lindelof is not the type that does spectacular things, no last ditch tackles, no yellow cards, no aggressive headers, but instead relying on anticipation and positioning and he’s being a clean defender. He is very boringly doing his job. Sometimes it would be good if he was more aggressive, but there are also advantages with his clean and boring way of playing.
  3. Apr 11, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

He wasnt clean yesterday with that skewed clearance giving Barcelona a chance, or with his reaction to Shaw's mistake on the goal where he also ran about headless for a second
  4. Apr 11, 2019

A-man Full Member

He was involved in one and a half chance against Barcelona, that is ok as a CB. He got ratings between 6-7 in all the papers I’ve seen, so I do t seem to be alone with that conclusion.

The goal was a bit unlucky, but it also came after really nice movements from Barca which I think puzzled the United defence a bit.
  5. Apr 12, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

You've obviously never seen the various Daley Blind eulogy threads.

Anecdotal coincidences are fine, I think Lindelof is a decent enough defender and can improve as an individual. My point was that proclaiming that touch and passing ability are anything more than an additional added bonus to being a competent defender needs to stop. Defenders need to be judged on defending, when the level of defending drops below a certain point then it needs to be called out as not good enough, not fluffed up with whimsical overhyped comments like "well at least he can pass it a bit?.."
  6. Apr 12, 2019

A-man Full Member

I agree that being good at passing or being comfortable on the ball can never be enough for a defender. Definitely. But the arguments I have seen are more like for a defender in a top club today it is not just a bonus: It is necessary to be both comfortable on the ball and being a good defender. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munchen, City, they all have defenders who are comfortable on the ball.

Being good on the ball, being comfortable under pressure, being able to play fast technical passes etc are good ways to ensure possession and possession is a very effective way of defending.
  7. Threadmark: Barcelona 3:0 Man Utd
    Apr 16, 2019 at 21:59

11101 Full Member

He was alright tonight in a slightly unfamiliar position. Need to get him back to the centre and get Jones sold.
  8. Apr 16, 2019 at 22:03

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I'm still waiting for this really good passing to happen.
  9. Apr 16, 2019 at 22:27

Bobski Full Member

Fairly quiet and uneventful game from him, which considering how much space we allowed Alba in the first half is a strange one. Unenviable position for him, to be so often in a 2 v 1 and picking the least worst option.
  10. Apr 16, 2019 at 23:12

Devil may care Full Member

Got doubled up on a lot, did ok in a position he's rarely played.
  11. Apr 20, 2019 at 02:14

Loublaze ATLien

Same here. His passing is average.