Victor Moses

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Adam-Utd, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012

Hectic Moderator

Well, I'm not sure the lad has the same weaknesses, or anywhere near the strengths of players like Ronaldo or Nani, so it's a bit pointless using them as an example of what could be.

Well, feel free to do so, but you have to accept that when you come out with an OP like yours (very eager), some criticism and laughter will be thrown about, and it's not going to go away by telling people they probably didn't rate Valencia. If you are happy to be ridiculed, then there is no issue here really.
  2. Apr 16, 2012

SilentWitness Moderator

Supports:
    Everton
    As i recall most of the team were so it's understandable from a player who hasn't really broke into the side yet, besides if it wasn't for Drenthe being a muppet i'm sure he wouldn't have started.
  3. Apr 16, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

It's easier for a tricky, selfish and ultimately brainless attacker to stand out in a weaker team - see N'Zogbia - than it is for a team-orientated, intelligent pass and move midfielder, never mind the fact Cleverley was playing out of position. Moses has shown skill and little more, just 4 goals and 1 assist doesn't sound like an excellent season given he shoots plenty (6th most shots in the league, yet only 4 goals?!) and provides very little in terms of overall team play. Basically, he's a highlights player at the moment.

Hehe.
  4. Apr 16, 2012

Jimy_Hills_Chin Desperately wants to be ITK

I was going to say 'if he was Nigerian we would be wanting to see his birth certificate' I just checked Wiki and it turns out that he is Nigerian so...............

I would bet money that he never becomes good enough to start for United.
  5. Apr 16, 2012

Sw33t Full Member

Yeah.

At the moment he wouldn't fit in with any top half PL club. But, with some training, some development, then starting to play with better and more experienced players can definitely see him turning in to something.

He does look like he's in his late 40's though
  6. Apr 16, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

1 assist? Where you get that from, he's got 6. I remember Valencia with similar stats at Wigan, we were all worried he had no end product. We needn't have worried. Thats what happens when you replace Franco Di Santo with Wayne Rooney. Even ignoring stats, he's been getting rave reviews all season. None of us are sad enough to watch every Wigan game but the reports i've heard from fans and journalists that are are very promising.

Btw i'm not saying he's gonna be amazing, no one knows. Just that at 21 y o it would seem likely if he continues to develop that he will end up at a bigger club, maybe even a top 4 one.
  7. Apr 16, 2012

Eugenius Full Member

Someone at uni's brother went to school with him (sounds dodgy but I know he himself went to the same school as Moses) and apparently he was ridiculously big/defined for his age very early on.
  8. Apr 16, 2012

Makki QUITTER

freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
  9. Apr 16, 2012

ESPN has him down as having 1 assist, as do WhoScored. Not quite sure how they managed to miss 5 assists, where'd the 6 assists stat come from? Valencia already had the basics for a top club though, he was an excellent team player not an individual like Moses. Contributed hugely in the defensive side of the game, had a great mentality, had experience at a much higher level and yet even still he was a more productive player. Moses has had 84 shots this year, only 11 less than Valencia had in 3 years...and Valencia scored 3 more goals. And then you look at how much better Valencia was as a provider and it's not really a contest.
  10. Apr 16, 2012

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I just don't get why you cannot discuss a player on here without getting laughed at. Neway it will be interesting to see how this lad develops. I just feel his ability to dribble passed players and Carry the team forward is a huge bonus too have.
  11. Apr 16, 2012

Valencia has always Been a provider, but rarely a match winner, his lack of self belief is 1 of his main flaws IMO.

Moses on the other hand has real confidence and a swagger in his ability, he just has that attitude that you know could make a star.

The best forwards always have a confidence you need, and he's got it.
  12. Apr 16, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Oh shit you're the OP :lol:
    I get your embarrassing enthusiasm now.The difference in quality and most importantly potential between Moses and Welbeck is too obvious for it not to be missed
  13. Apr 16, 2012

The official Premier League site lists the 6 as Sunderland, West Brom (h&a), Spurs, Bolton, Liverpool. Anyway not sure if assists always tell the full tale, when you're reliant a lot on the quality on the end of it, which at Wigan isn't much. Regardless of that i'd like to think a player like Moses would refine their game a bit if they moved to a bigger club surrounded by better players. At Wigan he's obviously the main attacking outlet and so i think he's encouraged to run at the opposition whenever possible. At a top 4 club he'd obviously not get away with being so greedy. Interesting player but, has a lot of the raw ingredients and at only 21 will surely improve even further.
  14. Apr 16, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

Some places count assists as penalties won, as well as parried shots that result in goals, which is fair enough I think.

I'm not even sure what role Moses has at Wigan. Sometimes he's a forward playing behind Di Sancto (who is total dogshit) and then he'll spend 15 minutes much deeper, not far ahead of Beausejour. He's got some good ability that needs work on. Improve his finishing and learn to make better decisions. But he's just gone 21, so that's not surprising really. Interesting to see which way he goes.
  15. Apr 16, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Really spot on there Brwned
  16. Apr 16, 2012

So did/does Jerome Thomas. Or Bentley. Or Taarabt. It's easy to get carried away by skill and swagger - and to underrate the 'providers' because they're not as eyecatching - but obviously you need more than that and I'm not sure he's shown that at all. Just my opinion but I see no reason to believe he'll be any better than Taarabt. It's easy to 'spot' skill and swagger mate, a 6 year old could see that talent...it's everything else that is difficult to see, the kind of stuff you can't see from just a couple of games, and it's ultimately everything else that will dictate how far he can go in the game. Sinclair might not have the skill but it wouldn't surprise me to see him become a better player, for example, because he's seemed a little less brainless in terms of his appreciation of the game and his mentality.
  17. Apr 16, 2012

Solius Has a massive ginger bush

I don't rate him at all. He's always been a bit oafish and his final ball is shit.
  18. Apr 16, 2012

Coca Cola One balled wonder

He looks talented to me. Could become a pretty good player if he ever learns that football is a team sport.

For United though? nah.
  19. Apr 16, 2012

Guy Incognito Full Member

He likes saying obviously a lot, obviously.
  20. Apr 17, 2012

davisjw Full Member

I thought highly of Moses. Not any more. He's good without being great. Valencia showed a lot better than him at Wigan.
  21. Apr 17, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Has got good pace and skills but dont think he's good enough for a club like ours really. Definitely a top 10 club player though.
  22. Apr 17, 2012

Galactic Incorrigible pest

Clue: Anagram of my tagline plus an extra letter
    I remembered him being a big prospect before joining Wigan. He was linked with the big 4 clubs before. Not a bad player. Has some potential. Can be the next Shaun Wright-Phillips i.e. average player at a big 4 club and hit-and-miss at a mid table club.
  23. Apr 17, 2012

Ekeke Full Member

I agree that he needs to be more productive, but the potential is there seeing as he's still young. He's fast, powerful, dribbles well and although yes he can be selfish, he's also able to lay the ball off to team mates decently as well. Might be a bit early for a big club to go for him, but it would be a gamble that could pay off a lot
  24. Apr 17, 2012

SATA Full Member

I watched the first half and he was skipping past the Arsenal players for fun, but he did all of that with his head down and never really had any awareness of where his team-mates were. He will probably end up a better player than his twin Gervinho though
  25. Apr 17, 2012

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Moses is very talented. His temprament and decision making needs serious serious work for him to be a regular at even a mid table club.

That being said he shows signs of real ability...I knew a hell of alot of Palace fans where I worked who said he was classy but selfish and lazy.
  26. Apr 17, 2012

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    You should watch him a bit more often I'd say Ad.

He is wasteful, selfish and lazy as well.

He has alot of work to do before he's even considered for a top 6 side let alone a top 4 and then even after that being some sort of world beater.
  27. Apr 17, 2012

Wasteful and selfish perhaps, but definitely not lazy.

Ive watched him atleast 6 times this season and in every 1 he worked his socks off.

Yes he can shoot when he probably should pass, but that can be taught out of you.

People need to look at strengths rather than weakness.
  28. Apr 17, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

He has been pretty average for the majority of the season up until Wigans purple patch.

Didnt he moved the most shots on goal before scoring his first goal of the season? Away at West Brom.

Young, powerful player with plenty of potential. Miles away from a top 6 club yet.
  29. Apr 18, 2012

Im not saying hes ready to be the main striker at man utd, yes he is far away from that yet.

But players can develop very quickly, just look at welbecks progression.
  30. Apr 18, 2012

Fiskey Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

People keep talking about some kind of abnormal progression with Welbeck. He was always the bees knees, always thought of as a star at Old Trafford, he simply needed to grow into his frame (which he still can do a bit more of) and he was going to be the fantastic player he is and will become.

Moses just doesn't have the same level of talent, not many people do.
  31. Apr 19, 2012

SilentWitness Moderator

Supports:
    Everton
    You're in luck, he's just turned down a contract extension with Wigan.
  32. Apr 19, 2012

I actually think a move to you guys would be a great next step for him.
  33. Apr 19, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I doubt we'd bring Moses in at the expense of some of the forwards we have coming through the ranks
  34. Apr 19, 2012

SilentWitness Moderator

Supports:
    Everton
    On a free i'd take him, need more players that can make a run at people but he's still a bit hit and miss so i'd be wary of spending too much on him.
  35. Apr 19, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

I hadn't seen this thread before.

Did someone really suggest Victor Moses for United without tongue in cheek. :houllier:
  36. Apr 19, 2012

If Moyes stays, he could be a great manager to get the best out of moses. There is plenty of talent there for sure.

He isnt ready to move to a top 4 club though.
  37. Apr 19, 2012

RedThaiDevils#7 Full Member

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
    I think he's really underrated in this forum, I've seen time's where he shows really good pace and skill not to mention strength, I mean he's taken more time but like Ronaldo at 21, usually young skillful players aren't consistent but you'd wanna judge them a bit on their technical side on what they have to offer...

I think Moses is similar to Hulk for Porto( Not that he's shooting will be as good), I think he'll turn into a very good player, maybe not for a top four side, but I think if he can keep getting games in the PL in any club, he'll give them a good return.
  38. Apr 19, 2012

Drifter American

Wigan could face a fight to keep in-form forward Victor Moses after the player's agent indicated he has halted talks over a new deal.

The 21-year-old Nigeria international, who joined Latics in a £2.5million move from Crystal Palace two years ago, has just one more season remaining on his contract. Wigan have been trying to discuss an extension since December but agent Tony Finnigan says Moses has now decided against it.

Finnigan said: "An offer was made some months back - turned down - and we were still in negotiations. In the last week we spoke again and the player has now decided, 'I don't want to extend my contract'."

Wigan pulled off a coup to sign the highly-rated Moses from Palace and his performances since, particularly in the latter half of this season, have earned rave reviews.

The former England Under-21 winger has been inspirational over the past month as Latics have enjoyed a resurgence to pull clear of the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.

Roberto Martinez's side have spent most of the campaign in the bottom three but are now five points clear of danger after impressive wins over Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal in recent weeks.

Finnigan points out there is no animosity between Moses and the club but the player has simply decided not to renew.

He said: "It doesn't mean he doesn't like his manager - he chose Wigan over other clubs. Martinez is a tactical genius and an excellent coach, and they are Victor's words.

"He's been playing regularly, he's in form and enjoying his football. He has been offered the chance to extend his contract but has said, 'No thank you'."

Moses, who represented England at under-age levels but pledged his international future to the country of his birth earlier this year, could now be targeted by other clubs this summer.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-break-down-16147256.html?r=RSS#ixzz1sVqvyPN9

Has SAF had a word.
  39. Apr 19, 2012

Dont think so, just a number of us that think he could develop into a top 4 player some time in the future. Is he any worse than say Ashley Young was at the same age at Watford?
  40. Apr 19, 2012

SilentWitness Moderator

Supports:
    Everton
    Well Villa bought Young when they were in 11th and the next season with him in the side they managed to get 6th place.

Wigan have always been down in the relegation zone.