Vidic

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by vijay, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

Vidic was nominated for Ballon d'Or, Ferdinand wasn't. This indicates that outside England many people think that last season Vidic was better than Ferdinand.
  2. Feb 12, 2009

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

John Terry
  3. Feb 12, 2009

reddev07 Full Member

No CB in the world has come close to Vidic this season.

He has been on another planet
  4. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

Eh?
  5. Feb 12, 2009

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

John Terry > Rio Ferdinand accoring to the Ballon D'or.

Clearly something's wrong there.
  6. Feb 12, 2009

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

That's irrelevant; goals for a defender are a bonus, nothing more.

Well put. :lol:
  7. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

One of the biggest assets of Vidic's game is his consistency. It's clear he has been nothing but consistent since his arrival (after the 6 month adjustion period).

You tell me the games this season where he was sloppy, the only one I can come up with was the red card vs Liverpool. Other then that he was solid throughout and the last two months have just been on another level.
  8. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

True they are a bonus but these are the type of things that decide WPOTY trophies. Not too mention game changing goals that have won points. Can't disregard that as 'nothing more'.
  9. Feb 12, 2009

reddev07 Full Member

He means the fact Terry was nominated for the Ballon D'OR means that by your logic people thought Terry was better than Rio last season (outside England) and if they did, their opinion isn't really accurate.
    He is right because Rio did deserve to be there ahead of Terry. Although, I think the difference between Rio and Vidic is that Vidic has always been solid for us (except for the first few months when he was settling in), and Rio was very inconsistent until 2006. In fact, when he was refusing to sign a new contract in 2005, loads of supporters groups were saying he was overrated and to let him go. And still some supporters haven't forgiven him for that because they do believe he was weighing up his options by meeting up with Kenyon but I don't believe he was.
  10. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

Shocking, didn't Lampard finish 3rd in one of those?
  11. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

And the truth shall be told!
  12. Feb 12, 2009

Well yeah, but that's because Lampard's good.

But even at that, I've no idea how he got in the top three that year because he was so much better the year before and after, iirc.
  13. Feb 12, 2009

I just get the impression that some people have forgotten how good Rio Ferdinand is.

Those performances against Liverpool last year were two of the best defensive displays I have ever seen. In regards to the home game, nobody knew whether Rio was going to play or not, which was fairly worrying. When his name was read out on the tannoy, I couldn't envisage any other result other than a comfortable win, such was the form he was in.
  14. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

...for United fans

Terry was voted the best defender in the CL last year. For us as United fans this may be wrong but we are not the measure of how things really are.

Terry has won more individual awards than Rio.

Individual

* PFA Player of the Year: 2004-05
    * FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament: 2006
    * FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    * UEFA Club Football Awards Best Defender: 2005, 2008
    * UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2007, 2008

Maybe it isn't that clear after all. Prsonally, I don't like Terry but I don't like to be biased either.
  15. Feb 12, 2009

Unbelievable. :houllier:
  16. Feb 12, 2009

Oh dear.

I'm all for being objective but if you're seriously saying that having Terry in there as the best defender in Europe is the right call you're beyond help.

He was injured for half the season, never mind not even being the second best defender in his team for the past two years!
  17. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

Read more carefully what I'm saying. I was talking about how non-United pundits have appreciated Terry's performances.

You seem to seriously over-rate your own opinion. Don't forget that it's just an opinion and hardly the objective truth.
  18. Feb 12, 2009

Ask a Chelsea fan who was better last year, Rio or Terry, and they'll tell you the exact same thing.

You're being idiotic.
  19. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

:lol:

How old are you?
  20. Feb 12, 2009

How old are you?
  21. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

Lol, this explains why your posts are that immature. You write as if you are some footballing pundit whereas the truth is that you know feck all :lol:

Life will teach you some things, provided that you don't spend too much time on football forums.
  22. Feb 12, 2009

I'm not immature though, and I know I'm not.

Footballing pundits are idiots though, so I'm hardly aspiring to be like one.
  23. Feb 12, 2009

Treble Full Member

Sometimes some pundits say some stupid things. Surely, I say some stupid things, too. This doesn't imply that all footballing pundits are idiots. The very generalisation "Footballing pundits are idiots" is quite idiotic to be honest. But this doesn't mean that you are an idiot.

Some of your posts are quite good IMO but your reactions to people who diasgree with you reveal your immaturity. Be more tolerant to different opinions. Don't be so quick to dismiss them as idiotic. That's a friendly advice. You decide for yourself.
  24. Feb 12, 2009

The majority of pundits don't know much about football. Better?

I don't care if people disagree with me, a lot of people don;t and I respect their opinion.

To even try and defend the decision to leave Rio out of the Ballon D'or nominees, and therefore declare Terry as the best defender in Europe last year, is idiotic.

And anyone will tell you that.
  25. Feb 12, 2009

Name Changed weso26

I have noticed that a lot.

Personally since last season I have thought that Vidic is a better player than Ferdinand. This season has only reinforced my views. I know that doesn't go down well on here as Rio is a player you are not allowed critisise on the caf (not that I am critisising him in any way) but that is my view. Both are class but imho, Vidic is better.
  26. Feb 12, 2009

TR Feels utterly betrayed

And if no one wins it there'll be an FA investigation and cover-up.
  27. Feb 12, 2009

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

I can understand you're love for him but you seem a bit blinded. Vidic at the beginning of the season wasnt up to the pace, especially when we were struggling. We also conceded some soft goals. Same last season, when he was never on Rio's level.
    When on top of his form, he's one of the best defenders. But to state that he's been excellent in the last 2 years, on a consistent basis, is a bit naive
  28. Feb 12, 2009

But very true.

Vidic has had just one bad match all season, against Liverpool.
  29. Feb 12, 2009

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

At the beginning of this season, he's never had the form he has now. The same last season. People tend to forget, positive and negative. To compare his consistancy with Rio's is just way OTT
  30. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

You seem to not be able to cite the 'bad games' that he has had. He has been consistent for years now, and I am not the only one who said it so take it from their opinion and not my so called 'blinded' view.
  31. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

At the beginning of the season he was still solid, the last two months he has been on another level. I seem to remember saying this in my earlier post..

How is it waay over the top to say that Vidic's consistency isn't near to Rio's? That is just plain stupid.
  32. Feb 12, 2009

I've had this argument with Vuc before, even when the defence wasn't particularly good earlier in the season Vidic was standing out.

Besides Liverpool, he's been great in every match.
  33. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

Wait a minute, did I not say that Vidic was performing well despite the rest of the defence?
  34. Feb 12, 2009

You did yeah, and I didn't believe you.

Turns out you were right, because I went through the list of games and he played well in all of them. Just before the Liverpool match, he was our best player along with Tevez against Zenit, and scored a goal.

And then after Liverpool, he went on a run of 5 clean sheets in a row or something.
  35. Feb 12, 2009

reddev07 Full Member

Nobody is denying that Rio wasn't very good in the last two seasons. He was.

but Vidic has been better this season and like I said earlier, Vidic has been much more consistent for Manchester United than Rio has. Yes, nobody is forgetting how good he was in the last few years, but you also can't forget how inconsistent he was before that. We paid 30 million for him. We should have been seeing those level of performances a lot sooner.

I am convinced that if Vidic keeps up such good form for the next four-five years, in twenty years time, people will look back on him as the better defender out of the two and one of Fergie's best ever signings.
  36. Feb 12, 2009

reddev07 Full Member

Well he wasn't the best defender in the CL last season. Nor is he this season
  37. Feb 12, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

Fair play, good to see you admit that..

There is some sense to what I say despite my bias.
  38. Feb 19, 2009

reddev07 Full Member

This was discussed on the phone ins after the game yesterday

606, a United fan said Vidic should be name POTY. Lovejoy asked about Rio but that was dismissed quickly by the caller who said Vidic has outshone Rio this season.

Then on another phone in, quite a few mentioned Vidic. Again, Rio was mentioned but was brushed of

Some United fans were suggesting that in their opinion, Rio needed Vidic to perform to the best of his abilities. I don't personally agree but its their opinion
  39. Feb 19, 2009

REd FUn DevIl Banned

With the performances of Vidic this season makes me wonder why all the people only highlight players like Messi, Ronaldo, etc cause they score and are a joy to watch, ffs if you have seen Vida defending like a mad fecker all season having more than 15 clean sheets all season and helping VDS reach and fight for the keeper's record its kinda sad.

In terms of defence he has performed no worst than the best european striker atm and should be recognised for that.
  40. Feb 20, 2009

vuc First Team Serb

They should but they don't because strikers and midfielders get the plaudits due to the goals scored. I agree with what you have said though.

All Vidic has to do is continue his form and I think he will be a heavy favourite for POTY and definitely in the running for WPOTY. The fact that he is getting suck plaudits and press recognition points to this.