Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | but not this time

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sir A1ex, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jan 17, 2014

Sir A1ex Full Member

Don't know if anybody else read this, and if so what your thoughts are... I guess this is a pretty obvious response from a United fan, but I find it a depressingly sickening article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25765975

It's specifically stuff like "We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players". I mean, do City fans even like reading that? It's like a spoiler, where is the excitement in football if somebody (who has the means to do so) has decided to make it that inevitable? Shouldn't the current bunch have the mindset that it is all on them, this is their change etc?

In terms of Kompany coming out and saying it, I guess in one sense it's refreshingly honest, not bothering with the usual cliches, or even the pretence that there's anything special or magical about the current bunch of mercenaries.

Or is he wrong, and they'll never manage to buy a quadruple?

Would love to know what fans of other clubs think, and even City fans. I know the analogy has been made before, butis it not a bit like playing a computer game in cheat mode. What happens if it does go the way of a lot of computer games, and eventually you're so far ahead that it's a guaranteed quadruple every year?
  2. Jan 17, 2014

Galactic Incorrigible pest

They are on form and he's milking it. Nothing new.
  3. Jan 17, 2014

Sylar Full Member

Didnt Chelsea think the same?
  4. Jan 17, 2014

Balu Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    They still are only 2nd in the league and only finished 2nd in their CL group right?

Real Madrid never won the treble so far, the last 6 times Real won the CL / European Cup, they failed to win the league. Somehow I doubt it's that easy to win a double of CL and league with a team full of mercenaries, let alone a treble or quadruple.
  5. Jan 17, 2014

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Finally, a reason to dislike him.
  6. Jan 17, 2014

Jimy_Hills_Chin Desperately wants to be ITK

Sickeningly depressing?!?!?!

Cripes! It is just verbal masturbation. Who gives a feck?
  7. Jan 17, 2014

Woodzy Full Member

Because winning the treble is easy enough...
  8. Jan 17, 2014

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    They have truly brought success in a way no other club has brought success in the past. Of course other clubs have spent big over the years, but generally they have been clubs that have built a team, and money making brand, over many many years. I find what they have done to be pretty abhorrent, but you just have to accept it as the way the game has gone in the last 10 years.

Still, they ain't won nothing yet. It would be absolutely hilarious if we won the League Cup, one of the 2nd string won the FA Cup (Newcastle or Everton perhaps), Arse won the PL and Madrid or Munich won the CL. Would certainly shut those feckers up.
  9. Jan 17, 2014

Ramshock CAF Pilib De BrĂșn Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Jose will be too much for Pellegrini. He will wear him down imo.
  10. Jan 17, 2014

Ramshock CAF Pilib De BrĂșn Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Fixed your post
  11. Jan 17, 2014

Sir A1ex Full Member

I don't know, maybe I'm too negative about things. But I do think there's potential for City to keep on pushing the concept of buying trophies to levels well beyond what Chelsea or Madrid have ever done.
  12. Jan 17, 2014

AlwaysRedwood Banned

Of course. A rich sheik does not buy the team to win a couple of trophies. He wants to win all of them and to be able to say he has the greatest team of all time.
  13. Jan 17, 2014

Barney "We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    They finished 2nd on goal difference in a group with Bayern in it.

I'd also say that their team isn't a team of mercenaries. When they had Tevez, Adebayor and the likes fair enough, but now I don't think they are.
  14. Jan 17, 2014

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Must have missed the change, but it is Friday afternoon.
  15. Jan 17, 2014

noodlehair "It's like..."

I like Kompany, but this is the kind of nonsense overly arrogant Arsenal players used to spout.

I'd maybe at the very least, wait until my team was actually good enough to even be top of the league they're in, before mouthing off about becoming the greatest team in the history of ever.
  16. Jan 17, 2014

adamwest Full Member

We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players

I like Kompany but this is just pathetic. He is basically licking Mansour's ballbag. What a cheb-end.
  17. Jan 17, 2014

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell

feck off, Kompany, you bellend.

18. Jan 17, 2014

Kag Full Member

He's speaking with confidence and playing to the support. No big deal. I wish it was our staff members coming out with this sort of inflated lingo. We're just trying to win games.

It will be our players again soon enough, though. I'm confident of that.
  19. Jan 17, 2014

Nighteyes Another Muppet

When Moyes said we could still win the league some time back, most of the caf called him deluded.
  20. Jan 17, 2014

Kag Full Member

Admittedly, he can't win. I don't really care what he says in his press conferences, I judge him based on the score at the weekend and how the team played during the game. The rest is all a bit superficial. In saying that, he does come out with some muddled quotes.
  21. Jan 17, 2014

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    on more positive side maybe the sheiks will get bored once they win everything.
  22. Jan 17, 2014

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts

When it concerns the Premier League, I think it's extra difficult too.

My friends have often said 'Ferguson should have won the Champions League way more in 20+ years considering Mourinho, Rafa, etc.etc.'.

However, when Arsenal got to the final in 2006 they finished 3rd. Liverpool finished 5th in 2005 and 3rd in 2007. Chelsea finished 2nd in 2008 and 6th in 2012. Yeah.. Mourinho's won it twice but he didn't with Chelsea.

The 4 finals we got to we won the league every time.
  23. Jan 17, 2014

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

A lot of people give too much importance to what footballers say. Most of the time, it's completely pointless talk.
  24. Jan 17, 2014

mic.m likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies

Oh the hypocrisy. In 2008-9 there was a lot of talk amongst us United fans of winning the quintriple or something. In the end we won the League Cup, the Club World Cup and the League. We also reached the semi finals of the F.A Cup and the CL final. They are on a good run of form, they have a great squad why shouldn't they talk about their ambitions?
  25. Jan 17, 2014

ItsEssexRob Has a slight gambling problem

Supports:
    Chelsea
    They arent that good a side. They arent as good as Uniteds 07-09 team, Chelseas 04/06 team or Arsenals invincables, and none of those sides won even a Treble. Pointless player talk, but I guess getting them overexcited isnt a bad thing!
  26. Jan 17, 2014

pauldyson1uk Full Member

This maybe the case, but they have the best squad in the PL at the moment and they are scoring for fun. I don't think they will win the Quadruple, but I can see them doing a domestic double.
  27. Jan 17, 2014

ItsEssexRob Has a slight gambling problem

Supports:
    Chelsea

No doubt, but I think their home form is still masking a problem that may appear more in cup games.

They may have demolished Blackburn in the fa cup at the Etihad, but they drew away. They are not automatic winners in those games and a tough away draw in the FA cup could see them ousted.
  28. Jan 17, 2014

pauldyson1uk Full Member

away form is their Achilles heel this season, they need to improve it or they could win nothing.
  29. Jan 17, 2014

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

It needs far too much luck to predict.

But is this a good enough side to win them all. Probably but there has been a few in the past that could have done the same.

For me they are comfortably the best side in England. A domestic treble is certainly a possibility. The CL will be too much IMO.
  30. Jan 17, 2014

Sparky_Hughes Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly

Not a chance, one trophy is the most they will get
  31. Jan 17, 2014

gooDevil Worst scout ever

He's simply talking in statistical terms. Over a long enough time line, every team will eventually win the Quadruple. And I agree.
  32. Jan 17, 2014

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    They've won feck all so far. One fa cup and one premier league, not even in the same season. :lol:
  33. Jan 17, 2014

Everest Red Reddest ever

Nah. That'll add pressure on Moyes. Hopefully Everton tank.
  34. Jan 17, 2014

Everest Red Reddest ever

Hopefully it'll be a team funded by a green energy tycoon.
  35. Jan 17, 2014

Sir A1ex Full Member

You're missing the point. If a club finds that they have found that magical formula, got the right players playing the right way and are suddenly amazingly good, you can expect the players / manager / fans to talk about the amazing things they think they may be able to achieve.

The shitty part of Kompany's quotes is that he isn't talking about he and his team-mates' quality, he's just pointing out that the owners will keep on spending and spending until they win everything. It's not "I hope we can do this and I think we may be good enough to", it's "it's inevitable that the club will do it, and if we current players don't, they'll just get better players who do".
  36. Jan 17, 2014

Sir A1ex Full Member

I'm not sure that the under-pinning assumption of infinite football, with the same clubs, holds water.
  37. Jan 18, 2014

adamwest Full Member

This is what really gets me.

My Mrs is a blue and even she thinks this is embarrassing. You'll get the City supporters who will obviously back their captain the hilt, but IMO he has really dropped a bollock here.
  38. Jan 18, 2014

Jiggs'Hamstring Full Member

I'm intrigued to know where this idea they can win the European Cup comes from. Is it all based on that one game at Bayern?
  39. Jan 18, 2014

njred HALA MADRID!

Silly statement. It was hard enough for united to win the Treble, which was one of if not the most remarkable achievments in all of sports. He should've said if city keep throwing money at the team , eventually they will have a chance of winning the CL.
    Christ
  40. Jan 18, 2014

Loon Full Member

Every team in ascendancy trots this one out. Fergie famously did that "...it's about winning the quadruple."* line on Sky Sports for the coming 1999-2000 season trailer. Arsenal and Chelsea have also talked about it when they were flying; Liverpool were one game away from the treble in 1977 (guess who stopped 'em?).

If they do it, they do it. If they don't, these are the kind of statements which will come back to haunt them.

*With a note of irony, I might add.