1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Apr 14, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

There were more quality CB's around in the days of peak Rio - Vidic. If one of them played today, they'd get the same hype if not more. It's just an overall weak era for CB's at the moment, therefore Van Dijk stands out.

Nevertheless, he's been immense for Liverpool.
  2. Apr 14, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Think its also the increase in global exposure in general.
  3. Apr 14, 2019

Trizy Banned

For some reason when ever Liverpool are mounted a title challenge (League or CL) the media goes into a frenzy singling out one of their players for a love-in.

Last year it was Salah.
  4. Apr 14, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    And that's just because they're shite and them mounting a real challenge is big news :D
  5. Apr 15, 2019

Makalakalele New Member

Well he did break the PL all time goalscoring record so it wasn’t exactly unwarranted
  6. Apr 15, 2019

Raw Full Member

I think it's largely due to the fact that he was brought in and immediately fixed Liverpool's defensive issues and turned them into proper title challengers. Okay, it's not all because of him (signing Fabinho, the rise of Gomez and Trent, having a keeper that isn't shite, generally being more defensive than last season) but he's become one of the top 3 CBs in the world IMO so I'm not surprised about the love in he's getting. Rio and Vidic were brought into a team that was already used to winning trophies every season, and their impact wasn't immediate.
  7. Apr 15, 2019

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    What? We were crap in the three years preceding Vidic arriving (not including his first 6 months). Him and Evra certainly played a huge role in revitalizing his and their impact from turning us from a team on the decline to the best in the Europe was massive.
  8. Apr 15, 2019

Raw Full Member

Well I meant that United had already won the big trophies fairly recently anyway, and their impact wasn't immediate unlike VVD. If we'd have gone 30 years without a title and only won 1 League Cup in the last 13 years, then bought a player that immediately turned us into a title favourite then I'd expect the same amount of love in.
  9. Apr 15, 2019

gibers Full Member

Best CB i've ever seen in the EPL.

Only defender that can match him this season is Pique.
  10. Apr 15, 2019

Trizy Banned

Terry, Rio, Stam and Vidic? Nope.
  11. Apr 15, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Bit of hyperbole there. Terry, VIdic and Rio had multiple seasons of world class defendefe. How many has VVD had? :nono::nono:
  12. Apr 15, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Dayum
  13. Apr 16, 2019 at 03:14

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Even more so given Giroud is one of the few strikers if not the only one that seems to give him a hard time for some reason, before the return game at SB i think he scored in his previous 4 against him (Chelsea/Liverpool, France/Holland and Arsenal/Saints x2).