Virtual reality in football

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Toad, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jan 28, 2018

Toad Full Member

what is everyone opinion on this? I heard they tried it in the Champions League final.

Personally I think it would be great to have 360 cameras above the pitch and in the crowds so you can get views from every angle.

I have PSVR so that’s what got me thinking about it, I do believe in a good few years we will be able to watch it this way.
  2. Jan 28, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

I would love this to be a thing, it would almost be like being at a game. I’ve also got PSVR and it’s absolutely mind blowing. For watching sport though I think the tech still needs development, resolution needs a big improvement. But when it gets there I would definitely buy a VR ticket to see a game.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Jan 28, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Feck that stick 2 camera's on Messi and let us view the game as him.
  4. Jan 28, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

It's already being used, what with Neymar's penalty shouts and all.
  5. Jan 28, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

I'm not sure the resolution is a big deal for moving images as opposed to video games. Films are more than passable on PSVR and slightly better on Vive, once you get past the initial 'OMG-it's-not-4k' shock.

I can see it being trialled with other sports first though. Boxing would be excellent I think, since I assume it's nigh on impossible to get front-row seats to big fights.
  6. Jan 28, 2018

Donut Full Member

Yeah, the resolution (at least on PSVR) is not there yet, but it will definitely be available in the future. Should be great.
  7. Jan 28, 2018

Toad Full Member

Yeah boxing would be great. Obviously quality would be pretty shocking but I’d still give it a go.
  8. Jan 28, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Probably will be a good 4-6 years before it kicks off properly for sports with improvement in resolution, broadband speeds etc
  9. Jan 28, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

Yeah as Damien said it's not ready yet, it's going to take a few more years for quality to improve, you can't charge customers with quality the way it is right now, no one wants to sit there with massive headsets on either for long periods of time, so they need to get smaller/lighter and more comfortable, sort of like glasses.

But the potenital of VR is amazing.
  10. Jan 28, 2018

Oscie Full Member

It'd be quite limiting as presumably you'd only be able to watch from one hard camera angle, not be able to watch any replays or close ups depending without selecting them. Not convinced it's appeal is more than a gimmick.

"Oh look I can see the crowd behind me.......*10 seconds passes*...okay this sucks I'm going back to watching the TV"
  11. Jan 28, 2018

Mr Pigeon baldy fatty bum bum

Staging a 'coo' against my enemies in Fife
    Could I have video playback with it? Just so when Palace score I can look at the supporters around me several times on loop because you really would see something new every time.
  12. Jan 28, 2018

Oscie Full Member

I'm still annoyed the option of watching a game with just crowd noise only still isn't a thing, so virtual reality can get to the back of the queue.
  13. Jan 28, 2018

Why attend games then? lol.

One day you'll be able to put on some VR glasses and it will be undisguisable from normal reality.

You'll be able to attend a game inside VR with a family member sat at the side of you when really they are at the other side of the world, or watch a movie together or shop, how is that not appealing?
  14. Jan 28, 2018

Oscie Full Member

It just isn't. I've never watched a movie and thought the experience would be enhanced by pretending I'm sitting next to someone. It's why I don't watch TV with a mate on Face Time on the phone perched chair next to me. Just because something is possible, doesn't make it appealing.

Going to the game is an experience. You get the atmosphere, you can join in, sing along, contribute, have a chat with fellow fans. None of that is replicated in VR. You're watching it on telly but with limited views vs watching it on ordinary telly. Any football-related acronym beginning in V and ending in R is more trouble than it's worth.
  15. Jan 28, 2018

Rossa Full Member

Yes, virtual reality - what about just reality? Just go watch the match. Big home theatre screens are replacing people's needs to go to the cinema, and now VR should replace the need to watch games? Every stadium would be like the Etihad then!
  16. Jan 28, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

There's the option to do that on some Russian streams I watch.

Yeah, stuff like Gear VR is doable as it doesn't feel heavy but has the limiting factor of only being as good as the phone resolution etc. Still nice though and not as cumbersome to wear/set up as PSVR so I can see phone VR experiences being popular for a select few events but to go mainstream and able to charge on the regular, the major headsets would need to get lighter and better in quality.

There's only a certain amount of seats in a stadium and some people either can't afford to attend games or live too far away to go but would like to have the experience of being at a match, even if it is virtual.
  17. Jan 28, 2018

artursk New Member

It has been already tried in some pre-season games - in fact, I already watched 2 games in VR in 2016 (Chelsea against Real Madrid and another one, can't remember), can't remember if it was 360 or 180 degrees but the camera was located right next to the sideline. Felt a bit underwhelming.

I think what needs to improve is the social angle of this. For example, Facebook is trying to develop a pretty cool virtual avatar based experience which could easily be transferable to big sport events or concerts. If you could then put a 360 degree camera somewhere in the stands and project the avatars of your friends right next to you, the overall experience you would be creating would be pretty good.

I'm not worried about the image quality - it's getting better fast and will be pretty amazing in a few years time.
  18. Jan 28, 2018

Oscie Full Member

I just want to watch a game, I don't want the added pressure of being my own director, having to select camera angles, guessing in advance which one is going to be best to see the passage of play yet to unfold. Missing goals because I accidentally selected the angle where the camera is pointing at an empty corner flag. Who remembers the Sky Cam gimmick from a few years ago, a primitive version where you had three or four different camera angles to choose from. Died a death.
  19. Jan 28, 2018

artursk New Member

20. Jan 28, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

This would be pretty neat. Reminds me of that Nike commercial from a few years ago, shot all in that perspective
  21. Jan 28, 2018

Nero Full Member

Sky used to let you around 15 years ago. Back in the era of player cam.

You could also select what camera you wanted to watch the game from. So for example you could watch the whole game from behind the goal with just crowd noise.
  22. Jan 28, 2018

Toad Full Member

You could even take your glasses off for 10 seconds grab a beer and get back to your seat before the second half :lol:
  23. Jan 28, 2018

Toad Full Member

I think for the huge amount of fans that can’t get to games this would be great. Different positioned cameras could give ou the option to view in the crowd, above the pitch, I just wouldn’t want to be the person sitting next The the camera :lol:

I’d also love to see a virtual stadium tour which would be pretty easy to do now to be honest.

I have no doubt about 20 years down the line this will be the main way we will be watching sports through media. Just imagine a birds eye view of the Gerrard slip, nobody can say they would have loved that.
  24. Jan 28, 2018

Check out the short video in this:-

https://www.roadtovr.com/believe-hype-hypevrs-volumentric-video-capture-glimpse-future-vr-video/

There's longer demos on this on YouTube, but as this shows, in the future you'll be able to walk around/kneel down in VR video and see any angle, even pick objects up (haptics).
  25. Jan 29, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

I remember seeing some of the Chelsea game but I can't remember the platform. Wasn't there a behind goal angle, too?

Concerts would be excellent too; on PSVR, Hatsune Miku VR Future Live is a bit weird, but the feeling of being in the front row of a concert is pretty incredible even if the graphics are a little stylised.

The social angle is important definitely, Bigscreen Beta is pretty cool on Vive for that reason. I noticed that NextVR updated yesterday, but haven't used it in ages because of the HDCP bug on PSVR with Pro.

Last sentence is about right. I said above that for me it's not really an issue now, and with the Vive Pro incoming, the WMR headsets, and hopefully Pimax 8K later this year, the improvements are well on the way.
  26. Jan 29, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

If they can sort out positional tracking on Phone VR then it would be a good option as I guess that's where the innovation in screen tech will come fastest. That's the main problem with stuff like Gear VR and so on at the moment, and so it's giving people an unrealistic 'view' as to what VR is really about as well as potential heavy motion sickness that accompanies the lack of tracking.

With regard to comfort, the Vive (even with the Deluxe Audio Strap) can be pretty uncomfortable after an hour or two in some titles, but the PSVR is completely unnoticeable when correctly fitted. Rift is somewhere between the two.