1. Hey Guest, there's a new Podcast: Football, Bloody Hell! Podcast Episode 9 - Afroman

Wall Street Journal girl on Jon Stewart (oil discussion)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ooeat0meoo, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Apr 27, 2006

ooeat0meoo Member of the Muppet Empire

My Happy Place - So Don't Be Fucking With Me!
    While the Wall Street Journal has a cute girl by the name of Kimberley Strassel on their editorial staff, she's no match for the cunning sense of humor that cuts to the truth of matters, like that of Jon Stewart.
    (and Christ, she's got bad teeth, you'd think the Wall Street Journal would at least provide a dental plan for their head editorialists)

When it got down to brass tacks, Jon Stewart explains that it doesn't make sense that the oil executives would raise the price of oil when it's going to have such a drastic affect on everyone...that it doesn't make sense that just because the price of oil increases it doesn't mean they have to take such a huge chunk on top of the cost.

Ms. Strassel insists that that is the way of supply and demand. That when there are larger costs there are larger profits.

Urmmmmmmmmm wrong! I'm in the construction business. As the price of materials increase, I would be a fool to increase my profit margin above and beyond the increased material cost in my estimates. Rather I have to take a hit on my take to remain competetive. The higher I go, the fewer bids I get. I imagine this works the same way for most industries.

Sweet darl'in Kimberley claimed that taking away the oil company profits would be foolish because they need to continue to explore for more oil. They can't do that if they don't have the capitol. Well...it doesn't seem to be going to oil exploration when retiring CEO's are getting retirement plans to the tune of $90 billion.:houllier:

Ms. Strassel, also, slipped up when Jon Stewart expressed shock at the quarterly report after quarterly report of record profit taking...

Her response...'Well this is high driving season, when people taking vacations' ...well not really, the highest driving seasons are in the summer and around the holidays. I wonder how much the oil companies pay the Wall Street Journal for such horrible liars...not very good liars at that.

*One other added note: The oil CEOs got someone in front of the news cameras yesterday to explain that price fixing is NOT against the law. Really?...well there's something the democrats can start working on.
  2. Apr 27, 2006

Kristjan Retired Dictator

Jon Stewart is funny
  3. Apr 27, 2006

DaSPOT on his face is caused by puberty

democrats are to scared and dont have enough power to take on the oil companies...especially when the president is lining his pockets with some of tha cash
  4. Apr 27, 2006

FresnoBob Full Member

You think none of the democrats are helping themselves to oil company give-aways? They are all corrupt inside the beltway.
  5. Apr 27, 2006

ooeat0meoo Member of the Muppet Empire

My Happy Place - So Don't Be Fucking With Me!
    A democrat Senator from Oregon and a Rep. Senator from Arizona (not the one you're thinking of) have been going at them all day. Going after royalty subsidies...and it looks like they're going to retrieve at least 20 billion dollars.

The democrat says it could be up to 80 billion...but that's a cooked up number for sure.
  6. Apr 27, 2006

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Super Tax after November...
  7. Apr 27, 2006

EricC Banned

I am really confused as to what the laws are anymore, it would appear now to depend on the size of your company, If you are running a small scale company you have to do one thing, if you are in the defence or oil industry you can do another.

Since 911 it would appear that not only did we loose all our civil rights we lost all our consumer rights to. But don’t worry the great American Führer, GW Bush has it all in hand and has a plan.

This probably involves bringing out the Patriot act 3, with an amendment saying that if you complain about the price of petrol or bring it up in a press conference, you can be arrested and your home confiscated as property of the 4th Reich(as you are clearly a terrorist!).

Thats my card marked anyway, when they come for us all. Mind you thats long stamped!

Bring back the Bill of Rights!!!!!!!!!!