Was Sterling the worst player in terms of performance vs expectation at the world cup?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by RedTillI'mDead, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

Yes he had energy, but I don't remember him contributing one positive action all world cup.

He screwed up loads of chances where he was through on goal or should have been. He didn't create anything and should have done.

Personally I think he was a waste of space. Rashford should have got more time. He might not have the best end product at times, but at least he can hold the ball up, pass and take on players.

In terms of performance to value I think he was the worst I can remember in the world cup.

Ok sure maybe some craps teams with worse players who didn't perform, but even just forgetting value I can't think of any players as bad as Sterling.

I don't get where any of the positive noise was coming from.

Please enlighten me if I missed something, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but for me Sterling was one of the reasons England didn't do better in the world cup.

Not saying it would have made a difference to end results, but something positive has to be better than nothing.

Similarly I thought Ali and Dier ordered very little. Disappointed not to have seen more of Ruben who seemed calm, composed and added a lot of control.
  2. Jul 11, 2018

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Dead right. More hate needed.
  3. Jul 11, 2018

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    His pace was an asset.

He was dire at literally everything else though, so yeah I'd say he has a claim for worst talent to performance ratio.
  4. Jul 11, 2018

Raw Full Member

Thing is he's not clinical, at City he gets shit loads of chances so he has plenty of opportunities to score. Barely got any in this World Cup, which only further piles on the pressure when he does miss one. Still thought he was an essential part of the team.
  5. Jul 11, 2018

Traub Full Member

The worst in terms of performance vs expectation... you must’ve missed the defending champions failing to get out of the group stages, or the top 3 players in Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar not getting very far.
  6. Jul 11, 2018

Flytan Full Member

As a neutral in terms of the World Cup, no he wasn't. Most players wouldn't be able to create the situations he messed up (though the misses were bad, but it's better to be able to create chances and miss then to literally be useless).

Honestly I thought the biggest disappointment for England was Dele Alli, but meh.
  7. Jul 12, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

No idea what game people were watching. Best player on the pitch today. The one game he shows up, we replace him for Rashford who was turgid.

Across the whole World Cup he was average. Yet still as good as Kane was. Both turned in 6/10 performances, with Kane elevated to a 7/10 as you really can't knock his 6 goals.
  8. Jul 12, 2018

Ronaldo did fairly well as a whole. Maybe lacked in last game.

Messi was piss poor so yes good shout, can't get much more of a gap then 'god' rated by fans boys to pretty much irrelevant, although did create a couple of goals.

Neymar was half decent, actually pretty good, especially given limited match fitness.
  9. Jul 12, 2018

Rewatch and see what he did in every position where he got the ball. Yes great he got in the right places, caused some concern and then did nothing with it.
  10. Jul 12, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Pique was the worst big name performer in the tournament by a country mile
  11. Jul 12, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

He had like what 2 goals in 40 games for England? Seems you expecting him to suddenly start scoring is the problem.
  12. Jul 12, 2018

Don Alfredo Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    No

There were a dozen Germany players who deserve that title
  13. Jul 12, 2018

Prometheus Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I agree with this.
  14. Jul 12, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Are you taking the piss?
  15. Jul 12, 2018

SqueakyWeasel Full Member

Easily the most confusing choice … some better football heads than me say he was brilliant just can't see it … sorry :confused:
  16. Jul 12, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

Is he just going to be a player who is defined by his pace?

The problem with fast players like Sterling and those before him is it'll cause more problems for them in the long run, as much as it would bamboozle the opposition.
  17. Jul 12, 2018

AshRK Full Member

Worst is a strong word. I would say disappointing and in that I would include messi, de gea, pique, deli ali, half of the German squad that I can think. Sterling was not the worst or the most disappointing by any means.
  18. Jul 12, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

He got up the pitch. He didn't lose the ball, he forced the issue and he relieved pressure every single time. Worked his ass off. If he was removed because of fitness, fine, but he had his one good game today.

We lost the game when he went off. We had nothing after that.
  19. Jul 12, 2018

Stadjer Full Member

2 in 43 now.. the commentator said it and i had to check it because i just didnt believe it. There are defenders with better stats. Yerry Mina scored more goals during just this WC than Sterling has in his whole England career. Mina also didnt even start the first match :houllier:

Makes it even weirder that Kane played so far away from the goal with Sterling up front. He was never going to score anyway...
  20. Jul 12, 2018

Jib Full Member

KDB, Piqué, Jesus, Neuer, Moussa Dembele, Hummels, Suarez, Kimmich, Busquets, Ozil, Messi, Iniesta...
  21. Jul 12, 2018

Gio 6 times Redcafe Draft Winner

I don't see where the expectation came from. He has always been an erratic finisher. Even this season when his figures were impressive, he was still awfully wasteful at times. And at England he would never have the same level of in-the-box service he got at City.

That said, his pace and movement changed the way opposition teams had to set up. Barely anybody territorially really got on top of England, bar when Croatia and Colombia had to go for it in their second halves, because of his threat hitting space. He played an important role without playing particularly well.
  22. Jul 12, 2018

Prometheus Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I'd say Messi is the clear winner here (settling a long debate).
  23. Jul 12, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    What a load of bollox,, were people honestly excluding Sterling to pay like Messi this tournament.

think the wrong substitution was made tonight, needed more legs in midfield and Rashford for me wasn't the right choice to make so blaming Sterling is just the easy optuon
  24. Jul 12, 2018

James Peril Banned

Alli was the worst by far, looks like a youth player and didn’t contribute whatsoever when is really mattered the most. And stop mentioning de Bruyne, he has been ok and has been taking charge for most of Belgium’s games. That assist for Lukaku was worth the ticket alone. They went out against the Champions elect after all, had they played England/Croatia they most likely would have been in the final.
  25. Jul 12, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    What is wrong with you England fans? Your team did fantastically well and got to a semi final of the world cup but many of you just can't wait to tear the team down and look for scapegoats. It's fecking weird do you realize this? Be proud of them.
  26. Jul 12, 2018

Leif GW New Member

Thomas Müller was dreadful, really looked like he is over as a player. Many believed he'd deliver as usual but he sucked.
  27. Jul 12, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Why do people insist on creating a scapegoat? Can't you just be proud of how your national team represented themselves throughout this world cup, rather focusing on the negatives of which there are very few to begin with.
  28. Jul 12, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I have no idea why he was subbed.
  29. Jul 12, 2018

Redlips Full Member

Agreed. Alli was a complete passenger all tournament. At least Sterling was a threat. His finishing let him down but at least he was a danger and created some chances in a team that scored only 2 goals from open play.
  30. Jul 12, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Not really. Sterling caused some problems but his finishing was poor. At least he provided something functional.

Stones and Walker didnt do that. Maguire did.
  31. Jul 12, 2018

CA_vampire Full Member

Unfortunately, when it mattered the most, Rashford was worse than Sterling...
  32. Jul 12, 2018

J-Stander Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Nope but he was absolutely awful, as he always is for England.
  33. Jul 12, 2018

J-Stander Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Sterling missed about 7 sitters mid game you weirdo. Rashford got the last 10 of most games.
  34. Jul 12, 2018

CA_vampire Full Member

I am talking about the semifinal only.

Sterling played 74 mins, Rashford played 20+30=50 mins.
  35. Jul 12, 2018

Red4Ever Full Member

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
    Yup

Rashford not amazing either but prob deserved more time
  36. Jul 12, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Rubbish.
  37. Jul 12, 2018

goober88 New Member

The last two games he was good and he's a much better choice than Rashford.
  38. Jul 12, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

What the hell is a Dele Ali?
  39. Jul 12, 2018

Aboutreika18 Full Member

His excellent movement created problems for everyone England faced.

Tactically, he's a very intelligent, versatile player who has done well in a number of roles. Remember how Rodgers used him in 2013/14 to great effect.

That said, his finishing has always been his weakest attribute. In a strange way, if Southgate had swapped the roles of Sterling and Kane, with Sterling dropping deep into a false 9 position and Kane running from a withdrawn position late into the box, I wonder if it would have worked better with Kane getting on the end of those chances.
  40. Jul 12, 2018

OneUnited24 Full Member

Sterlings a odd one. Got into very good positions and made the runs to get into those positions but the rest was bad. Personally I would have started the knockouts with Vardy. I'd give him a 6/10 as he wasnt bad against Sweden and at times today. I also wonder why Kane was playing the deeper role but i guess we needed Sterlings pace leading the line

Dele Ali was the one that annoyed me.