Watching Lingard play live has changed my mind on him

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by shamans, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

In all comps
  2. Dec 5, 2017

lysglimt Full Member

I agree with you - he should manage that. But if he is to be considered a top striker - he should do close to 20 in the league regularly when he gets a bit older - and that is where I am doubtful. Rashford is a better player outside the box than inside it.
  3. Dec 5, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

His Problem IMO he is not consistent at all even through the game sometimes he flashes other time he is not exist and being soft also a major problem with him BUT last two games he looked like he wants to grab the opportunity that came for him so the lad did extremely well, and it was nice to see what he has got in his pockets and that's why he has to continue like that, hopefully next Sunday too.
  4. Dec 6, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

He's not being played in a position where he spends a lot of time in the box that is why. You don't have to accept anything, simply watch the video and see every goal he has scored and the majority are one-two touch finishes from him in the box. Especially all of his earlier goals when he was actually playing as a striker. Of course he won't score as many of those types of goals when he is played wide.
  5. Dec 6, 2017

RedFish Full Member

This
  6. Dec 8, 2017

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    I think seeing themlive often changes the perspective. You can see it on TV but it's often in the form of "just after" and questioning "How did he get there" or "why is he on his own."

Press/pundit agendas often impact that. If they want to talk about the player, they'll focus on his run, his movement etc. If they don't, they focus on why the defenders are idiots for not stopping him.

Watched live, what you notice about Lingard, even coming on as a sub is that he usually contributes to the attack speeding up. He harasses defenders and gets in their way, he becomes the go to guy if you want to move a ball forward quickly, or play a fast wall pass. The goals last week have focused the cameras on him.
  7. Dec 8, 2017

DevilRed Full Member

Lingard is pretty quick too. Alot of people fail to see that he has bags of pace and can stretch a defence (especially on the counter) when given the chance. He will play well when the team plays well. He will look shit when the team plays shit. Thats the reality of things.

It really reminds me of past players who were used in squad rotation. Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher and even Wes Brown/John O Shea. They were absolutely slagged on by fans in the early parts of their career, but as they gained experience and found their niche within the team, they were important contributors over the course of a season.

We desperately need players like this to step up at certain times in the season. Jesse is doing just that.
  8. Dec 8, 2017

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    It does, and if you are close to the pitch, watching a winger in full flight and you see the hammering they sometimes take, the idea that modern players are soft goes out of the window.

Ronaldo wasn't a goalscorer at Rashford's age, nor was Kane. Things change. That's not a comparison, just a reminder that experience and age changes players. Sometimes they don't live up to their apparent potential. Other times they change in unexpected ways.
  9. Dec 8, 2017

Mr Pigeon baldy fatty bum bum

Staging a 'coo' against my enemies in Fife
    OT but I always thought that Aussie rules football wasn't that active until I saw it live, and the off-the-ball movement from players is pretty impressive. They keep running with their marker and it gets tiring to watch after five minutes. I think that with a lot of sports you miss out on what's going on if you're just seeing what the camera is pointing at.
  10. Dec 8, 2017

Roosney Full Member

Same with Welbeck, seemed frustrating on TV but then I saw him play at OT and he almost single handedly killed Real Madrid's build up play. He was so fast and always in the right area.
  11. Dec 9, 2017

glazed Full Member

I haven't seen it myself but I heard the 4k matches on Sky and BT show much wider angles on the game, because they assume you have a massive tv and sit close
  12. Dec 9, 2017

tony54 New Member

13. Dec 9, 2017

tony54 New Member

I'm glad you've started a new thread for Lingard. Last year when he came on during difficult games he seemed to pull the team up and get them playing again showing the way with his energy and never say die attitude. Then he went off the boil for several months and now seems to finding his old format. I think he has a charisma which is special to the team but of course he needs to perform at the top level and not plateau off too much.