Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances Forum' started by gooDevil, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 12, 2012

Irwinwastheking Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

I think unliked would be a better term. TBF it's just people sticking to their guns ever since the contract bollocks and that's put people off him. Now they only see the negatives. I think he's a great great player, but it's not the same.
  2. Aug 12, 2012

buckooo1978 Full Member

really

and replace him with whom

given that someone like Llorente who is inferior to Rooney would cost 30million plus

Rooney - despite being a twat in the past and not being physically 100% at the minute - is a fantastic footballer, a winner, a fighter, a big game player and we probably havent even seen the best of him yet
  3. Aug 12, 2012

VoetbalWizard Banned

not saying i want llorente or he's near rooney's level, but he's in his last year of his contract. he's no where near 30 million right now.
  4. Aug 12, 2012

Jayvin Full Member

I'll say. Who in the heck are we going to replace Rooney with for £50 million!?
  5. Aug 12, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Rooney's game goes to pieces when he's required to play quick, one-touch passing. Unfortunately for him we are building a team that plays that way and I think his weaknesses will be highlighted more than ever.
  6. Aug 12, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    I think this is as good as its going to get as far as Rooney is concerned.
  7. Aug 12, 2012

Zen86 Full Member

If we lost Rooney the focus would simply shift to another player ready to step up, as has always happened under Ferguson. To cry how lost we would be without him is extremely short-sighted, considering we've coped with the loss of far better players in the past.
  8. Aug 12, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Sheer lunacy, IMO. Hard to believe how much the general opinion on Rooney's passing game has changed over the space of a few months. Pique, Iniesta and Xavi have called him 'world class', 'one of the best players in the world' and 'extraordinary'.

Looks like you'll need to teach Xavi a thing or two about the passing game because he seems to have missed these glaring deficiencies in Rooney's game.
  9. Aug 12, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

I don't understand much about formations, so forgive me if this question is totally stupid:

If we signed van Persie, would we be likely to field him, Rooney & Kagawa at the same time in most matches?
  10. Aug 12, 2012

1999united2008 Banned

Rooney isn't going anywhere, he is a world class player no doubt about it, he showed that time after time for us last season, not only a great goal scorer, but his all round play is excellent as well.

he would be a huge loss if he ever did leave, but I can't see him going anytime soon.
  11. Aug 12, 2012

Dargonk Full Member

We could, but one of them would be pushed out wide and out of their natural position.
  12. Aug 12, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

Thanks. :)
  13. Aug 16, 2012

MichaelS Banned

We could play Rooney in CM if RVP is the striker. He's done quite well there when he's had the chance.
  14. Aug 16, 2012

fecking hell, I just had a look at Rooney's goalscoring record for us. He's been way more prolific than I ever thought.

Wayne Rooney 2004–present
    League 129 (251)
    FA Cup 14 (26)
    League Cup 4 (11)
    Europe 30 (70)
    Other 4 (7)
    Total 181 (365)

That's a goal every 2.01 games
    which is a phenomenal record.

Add to that his assist record for United which is 85 in 365 games or one assist every 4.29 games.

So that's a total of 266 goals and assist in 365 games which means that Rooney either creates or scores a goal once every 1.37 games.

That's an amazing return from a player who while expensive at the time would be worth 70ml+ in today's market. He looks set to go on and beat Rowley, Law and Charlton in the all-time goal-scoring charts needing only 69 goals to go top. That's easily achievable for a player who is only 26.
  15. Aug 16, 2012

AttackingFlair Full Member

It's even more impressive considering all the positions he's played and only started taking penalties after Ronaldo left.

Btw 30 in 70 in Europe is ridiculous considering the amount of shifts he's done as a wide player/second full back at times.

That's why I'm saying he's becoming underrated on this forum, it's not like he's just a goalscorer either (in fact he was criticised for lack of goalscoring in previous seasons)
  16. Aug 16, 2012

MichaelS Banned

I agree. Seems like he's suddenly turned to shit in the summer or something. He finished of the club season with 35 goals. That's pretty good.
  17. Aug 16, 2012

OGkush Hey man, got any papers?

Rooney might be my favorite player, but I can honestly state without a doubt in my mind that Rooney is world class without having to be biased.
    His goal scoring record is very impressive, but even more so due to the fact that he's been here since he was "a kid" and really hasn't played in the striker position all that often several years back, his goalscoring (bar the first half of the 2010/11 season) since he's constantly played in one of the striker positions is truly overlooked, and I feel as if he's underrated by some of our own fans due to them still having a problem with the transfer saga, or just other bullshit reasons.
  18. Aug 16, 2012

He was by a mile my favourite United player of this generation up to when he threw the famous hissy. I don't feel the same about him since, but I can see that he's till an amazing player and our most important one.
  19. Aug 16, 2012

Art Art the artist

This caf is going to be all over him this season if he doesn't perform during matches even though contributing significantly with posters going on the lines of 'who needs him when we have RVP bollocks. This thread is normally bumped by posters who are just waiting for a chance to criticize his game. Happened after that friendly where he scored a beauty of free kick and a peno and assisted Kag for the winner.
  20. Aug 17, 2012

SHit, sorry Art. I shouldn't have bumped on a positive note. ;)
  21. Aug 17, 2012

Art Art the artist

:D Not you Irwin. I really have no one particular in mind. Just saying though.
  22. Aug 17, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

I think he'll relish playing with Kagawa and Van Persie. As much as he was a greedy bastard with the contract demands, he probably felt we should be making signings like this more regularly. He should be "buzzing" now and I expect him to be like a man possessed this year.

Wonder if we'll see him play on the left again in some of the big games this year like he did when Ronaldo was here. Front three consisting of Rooney, RVP, Nani and 3 centre midfielders. Fancy us to go far in the CL with that line up
  23. Aug 17, 2012

OGkush Hey man, got any papers?

it's the same in the newbies, I don't why there's so much hate, even though he made a bitch move he apologized and moved on and kept performing, people should realise it's time for them to do the same and start acknowledging again what a fantastic player we have on our hands, he might even turn out to be our best all-time scorer if he keeps going the way he's going.

_______RvP/Rooney____
    Rooney/RvP_______Nani

With 3 out of Cleverley, Valencia, Young, Welbeck and Chicharito/Giggs coming on as a sub.
    I like the look of that :D
  24. Aug 17, 2012

ghaliboy Snitches on Tom Hagen

I can see he, RvP and Kagawa playing free role across the front three in the beat-em-up lower league games. With Carrick playing with Anderson and Cleverley.

Kagawa and RvP are both excellent switch-up options which I think we've been lacking in the last few years for Rooney especially. Different focus and different drive and he will excel. He's shown it in the past.

He's a hated and disrespected player by a lot but the amount of haters that just don't rate him is mind boggling. He's a seriously underrated player by people outside of United that genuinely don't have much clue.
  25. Aug 17, 2012

ricky-romeo Full Member

even last season rooney drops deep a lot, just like he has been in the past with welbeck or hernandez in front of him and even plays in midfield for more than 5 games if i can remember. that doesn't stop him from getting more than 30 goals. the arrival of van persie should not change anything to rooney's game.
  26. Aug 17, 2012

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

The competition for places upfront will only be good for Rooney. I hope he's not guaranteed a place anymore because no player should have such a status regardless of form. I think it will cause him to strive to push himself further.
  27. Aug 17, 2012

Jimy_Hills_Chin Desperately wants to be ITK

Lets not forget also: last season on average Rooney made only 5 less passes per game than 'world class' midfielder David Silva; Wayne has a hell of a lot to his game.
  28. Aug 17, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

Yeah but let's sell him if someone bids 50m
  29. Aug 17, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

He'll get a kick up his backside, a kick he in my opinion needs.

Stay sharp Wayne. Could be a fantastic prospect to see RvP and Rooney line up alongside each other.
  30. Aug 17, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Yep, there was a thread in the newbies about some statistical analysis over a four year period (08/09-11/12) which compared the stats of Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie, Dimitar Berbatov, Didier Drogba, Carlos Tevez, Fernando Torres, Jermaine Defoe and Darren Bent. These are the categories he 'won' (i.e. had most shots, had least fouls etc.):

- Shots
    - Shots on target
    - Passes attempted
    - Passes attempted / 90 mins
    - Passes completed / 90 mins
    - (Least) Fouls conceded / 90 mins
    - Goals
    - Goals inside the box (= with Darrent Bent)
    - Chances created
    - Through balls
    - Through balls / 90 mins
    - Accurate through balls
    - Touches
    - Touches / 90 mins

Tells you nothing you didn't know already but it highlights his all-round influence to a degree. Here's Van Persie's:

Robin Van Persie

- Shots / 90 mins
    - Shots on target / 90 mins
    - Crosses
    - Accurate crosses / 90 mins
    - Assists
    - Assists / 90 mins
    - Goals / 90 mins
    - Chances created / 90 mins
    - Tackles
    - Tackles / 90 mins

And some stuff about Berbatov and Drogba:

31. Aug 17, 2012

Forever Red Full Member

Why would we contemplate selling our best player :confused:
  32. Aug 17, 2012

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Sign Van Persie
    "Let's Sell Rooney!"

Oh the CAF.
  33. Aug 17, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Wait - anyone seriously suggesting we should sell Rooney?

fecking hell.

Either way - I feel Rooney will elevate his game to a better standard. He's got Kagawa who will share creative duties and is a great foil, and van Persie who'll share the goalscoring duties as well as being a clever footballer who'll provide chances for Rooney with.

It might lessen the burden on him playing wise, as well as giving him that extra bit of competition that says "you're not absolutely guaranteed a starting place, get your arse moving will ya".
  34. Aug 17, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

It's a common theme in this thread every time he goes through a run of 2 or 3 games without a goal or looks fat or misses a penalty.
  35. Aug 20, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

I know he takes a while to get up to speed but with RVP and Kagawa do we really need to fanny about with Wayne in the Starting XI even when he's just not at it. Really not sure if he is still in the 'Too fecking talented to be subbed' category, though the City bicycle says hi.
  36. Aug 20, 2012

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    It's the first fecking game, Wayne takes 3 games to get going after any kind of lay-off
  37. Aug 20, 2012

VoetbalWizard Banned

with RvP, Rooney is going to see more of the bench when he goes through shit form instead of being able to 'play through' it.
  38. Aug 20, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Yeah but we could play a much more balanced side and not play Rooney tonight, Welbeck has had a similar lay off and looks miles sharper.
  39. Aug 20, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

He looks fecking knackered already. He must spend the whole summer pissed up and eating kebabs.
  40. Aug 20, 2012

Galactic Incorrigible pest

The thing about Rooney is that he is inconsistent. He spends half the time of his involvement in most games being an average player. But I wont complaint if he makes the other half counts,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.