Wayne Rooney's potential last match at Old Trafford on Sunday (as a United player)

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by prtk0811, May 18, 2017 at 10:47.

1. May 19, 2017 at 20:39

devilish Drivelish

Id say (and have said) the same about other players. Im not the sentimental type of fan and i believe that players are paid enough these days to afford being shown the door the moment they are not good enough.

Rooney remained at united because it benefited him. In matter of fact he was never shy in handling a transfer request twice. We kept him for the same reason (ie it benefitted us keeping him). Considering that Hes now finished, I cant see why on earth the club shouldnt end this relationship if it can. We should the same with ibra despite bein far more useful than him

And you're talking as if rooney is some 40 year old who ruined his career for us. He is 31 ffs whose in this silly situation because he never bothered looking after himself

As said a pro mercenary > an unprofessional one
  2. May 19, 2017 at 20:48

stubie Full Member

4 years overdue in my opinion

If only Moyes had a backbone to sell him to Chelsea!
  3. May 19, 2017 at 22:40

Toad New Member

... "and then when Valencia gets the ball, try and find the best position possible to get dispossessed".
  4. May 19, 2017 at 23:28

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

I agree with the statement, but Tevez is an odd choice for a pro.
  5. May 20, 2017 at 00:51

Gazza Magic Carpet Pilot

Carrick's testimonial would feel like a more appropriate final match at Old Trafford for Rooney, wouldn't it? Party atmosphere rather than a flat, end of season feeling. He'd be playing with teammates from the glory days rather than youth players, which really would feel weird (especially if he were to look even more like a passenger surrounded by players 10-12 years younger than him). I guess he'd be playing the Carrick game anyway so it's a moot point.
  6. May 20, 2017 at 00:57

Donovan_red7 Full Member

He was fantastic in the second half of that season, but the first half of the season Nani was by far our standout attacker and Berba won the golden boot that year. He propelled us for half of the way to the 19th title IMO.
  7. May 20, 2017 at 01:15

stevoc Full Member

Tevez a professional?

:lol: Fecking hell mate he's one of the most unprofessional players to ever play the game.
  8. May 20, 2017 at 01:25

stevoc Full Member

Then don't get yourself worked up about what numpties like Phil Neville and random journo's say, they are never going to bad mouth an England player so most of what they say can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Why do you care if not everyone thinks he's a horrible player and if some even still think he's a good player?

But he did reach those figures you seem to be over thinking this mate. You say you've nothing against Rooney but you don't sound too happy that he broke the record. The actual truth here is he put the ball into the net 250+ times in competitive games for Manchester United. So he deserves the record, the same way Charlton deserved the record before him.

Only lets hope for United's sake that it doesn't take someone 40+ years to break Rooney's record.
  9. May 20, 2017 at 01:37

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Who says I'm getting wound up? I'm not the one taken offence to critical words towards a player you yourself admitted hasn't been up to the standard we expect.

I care because such opinions, such pressure has preserved Rooneys career at the club. If we accepted Chelsea's offer for him a few years back you could all but guarantee we would have a far superior player in his place.

You seem to be missing a pretty simple point repeatedly. He should never have reached that goal tally because he wasn't good enough to be a United player in the last four years. Just because a player reached a tally doesn't mean he deserves it, they arent mutually inclusive events. I have no problem with Rooney reaching those figures, I have a problem with the manner in which he has done so. He has reached them at the clubs expense. And it wasnt just a season, or two, but 4 long years where he's been stinking up the place.

Which is a shame, because I want Rooney to be remembered as the player from 10 years ago.

During his contact dispute Rooney stated ye only wanted to stay at the club providing it could match his ambitions. Why should I or any other fan harbour sentimentality when the roles are reversed.
  10. May 20, 2017 at 01:39

Attila Full Member

Supports:
    Trad Bricks
    At 32 he ended the season with 29 goals in 47 games for Juventus. 7 goals in 13 CL games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Tevez#Career_statistics

Rooney is 31 right now

One of the "most unprofessional players to ever play the game" has managed to keep himself at the top level longer than Rooney
  11. May 20, 2017 at 01:41

RooneyLegend Full Member

What a player he's been for the club. The passing, shooting, intelligence, pace and power. On top of that one of that one of the most hard working attackers the game has ever seen. Pity when he was younger and in his physical prime he didn't have the positioning and movement associated with volume scorers caus he would have been a much better player.
  12. May 20, 2017 at 07:28

devilish Drivelish

Exactly

I am not that bothered about Rooney handling a transfer request twice. Football is business these days and a football career is short. Clubs can't and they shouldn't allow high earning employees whose not able to carry their weight anymore to remain on their own payroll. So its only fair for a player to take care of his own interest.

What pisses me off is that he didn't took care of himself and that at age 31 he is finished. That is embarrassing. Rooney is being paid so much because he's our poster boy. We don't need a washed up 31 year old player who binge drink in weddings and who burns half a million in betting representing us
  13. May 20, 2017 at 07:33

Phil Jones 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Completely agree with the above post. It's the lack of respect he has shown the club and his team mates from not looking after himself the way a top level footballer should. Especially one who was afforded the honour of being not only Manchester United Captain, but Captain of the national team. Many rumours of beer drinking and smoking over the years, and he has been caught out publically 3 times this season.

Wayne is done at the top level and he has no one to blame but himself.
  14. May 20, 2017 at 08:03

Maradona10 Hopes United lose every game till LVG is sacked

He should be in his prime scoring 30 goals a year now and we should be dreading on how to replace him, in reality i am very sure even the manager and his peers will be happy to see a liability on 250k/week go. His level has dropped so much its unbelievable.
  15. May 20, 2017 at 08:07

wr8_utd :'(

I really don't get this didn't look after himself nonsense. He started really young, he's played a huge amount of football, he's broken his foot 3 times and he's done physically at 31. It's not a huge surprise that someone who started so young and played that much at the age is done early. We've gotten a decade of great service for him and that's what should we celebrate. Just because he's a big name and the one who gets caught when out drinking, it doesn't mean other players don't do it. At his top level, for a decade, he was in good physical condition for us and got us plenty of goals and trophies. He's done now and that doesn't make him unprofessional. Everyone ages differently.
  16. May 20, 2017 at 08:36

Z_Wolf New Member

Why be so bitter bro?

2 underwhelming seasons can't erase 10 world class seasons. Why do you care if he declines at 31 or 30? He's played more matches than most players anyway.
  17. May 20, 2017 at 08:40

Pexbo Feels privalidged to be permernant caf member

That's the line the English media have fed for years and it's nonsense.

He's played the same amount of games as Milner and Defoe and both are in much better shape.

The last foot injury was 7 years ago and he made a full recovery within 6 weeks because it wasn't a significant break.

He's where he is now because he's not looked after his body. It's that simple.
  18. May 20, 2017 at 09:01

AndyJ1985 Full Member

Maybe you should open your eyes and look at the state of him. He looks out of breath after 10 minutes ffs. That's not due to breaking a foot or playing in Everton's first team at 16. He doesn't look like an elite athlete because he doesn't train like one. It's really not difficult to comprehend.
  19. May 20, 2017 at 09:18

Jerch Full Member

All our fans were saying back then same things about our ambitions. Selling Ronaldo and not keeping Tevez for example and buying Owen, Obertan and Valencia. We didn't spend as much as we should, our team was weaker and weaker season after season so his comments were not far off and at the time he was still at least top 10 player in the world who wanted not only more money but also more trophies.
    Also about wage negotations, there are rumors about Ronaldo leaving Real every year and in 2 months he gets a pay rise, same with Messi, Ronaldo said that he is slave when playing for us and left us next season, then remember Keane and Ferdinand who went into wage negotations same way, or if you look at other clubs look what Sanchez and Ozil are doing now, Suarez at Liverpool and many many others. But only Rooney who in the end never left is remembered as a bad guy for this.

To conclude the guy was right to say to you that it is not worth replying....
  20. May 20, 2017 at 09:22

Amir Full Member

I think people are talking about leaving City for a couple of months.... Which to be fair was far worse and unprofessional than anything Rooney - or most footballers in history - have done.
  21. May 20, 2017 at 09:25

sunama Baghdad Bob

A good summary.
    I think nothing more needs to be said.
  22. May 20, 2017 at 10:04

What's bitter? You'll find its the general consensus that Rooney has been poor for 4 seasons now.

There's so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to start.

I care that he's played 4 years of poor football for the club. As a fan what possible reason do you have for not caring about this?
  23. May 20, 2017 at 10:28

Z_Wolf New Member

19 goals & 22 assists in 40 games - 14/15
    14 goals & 6 assists in 37 games - 15/16

How's that poor for someone who's played as CAM for the most part?
  24. May 20, 2017 at 10:49

8 Premier league goals in an entire season is a good return for you is it? Irrespective of the stats had you actually watched him play during that time? Take a look at his performance threads for those seasons, you'll find them to be almost universally negative.
    Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 10:55
  25. May 20, 2017 at 10:49

Sparky_Hughes Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly

If Rooney was really that bothered about the standard of his teammates a big fat pay rise wouldn't have shut his face hole so quickly, and given how crap our team has been since saf left, where are all his concerns about the side now? I'm sure he's got his reasons for not complaining, about 300000 of them.
  26. May 20, 2017 at 10:55

10 world class seasons.........I'm calling foul on that one, what about the season after the South Africa World Cup where he was as bad as he's been the last two years for six months, or the four to six weeks it has always taken him to play like an actual footballer after any injury layoff, and the couple of weeks at the start of most seasons when he comes back in a disgusting state for anyone who's on a six figure salary to be a professional athlete? Total all that up and you're nearer to 6/7 world class seasons, still amazing and better than 99.9% of players will ever achieve, but let's keep it realistic.
  27. May 20, 2017 at 10:59

If he's not professional with his life and in training, I doubt all our managers would have kept him this long. He's just done now and phyiscally shot. Some players like him, Shevchenko etc just die out after a while and I agree if he had a better body maybe he could have extended his career but he's not and you have to say maybe the affect of that much football for so long has not worked for him.
  28. May 20, 2017 at 11:02

While I agree he did use that as an excuse to get more money, I do think his fears might have been authentic. His greed for money aside, he definitely is a winner and hates losing. I think at that point it's fair to say replacing Ronaldo and Tevez with Obertan Valencia and Owen might have been a tad bit worrying. He's not a childhood United fan who'd want to play his peak years at a club in decline (and we weren't then) but you could see why the type of signings might have been worrying.
  29. May 20, 2017 at 11:02

Come on mate, how many seasons does he come back over weight and out of shape after the summer, one of our own coaches is on record as saying ronaldo trains like he wants to be the best in the world, Rooney trains like he already is. Says it all.
  30. May 20, 2017 at 11:03

glazed Full Member

I'm not sure Rooney is really any more self-serving than many other footballers, but he certainly traded good will for money far more ruthlessly. So now he has little good will and a lot of money. His choice. Personally I would have done the same.
  31. May 20, 2017 at 11:04

Zlatan has 30 goals and even his thread is full of criticism (me included). So how much ever he scored, he'd get criticised. Rooney definitely had good seasons when we won our last title and even wonder Moyes.
  32. May 20, 2017 at 11:04

If it wasn't for the fact he's said nothing about his teammates during our worst four years in a generation and still thinks his performances are adequate I could maybe agree with you
  33. May 20, 2017 at 11:05

Ronaldo is in a different league ofcourse when it comes to fitness. Rooney has a build which often makes him look unfit. People call Shaw fat but I hardly think he's fat or unfit. I'm not so sure about this "coming unfit".
  34. May 20, 2017 at 11:08

We will have to agree to disagree mate :lol:
  35. May 20, 2017 at 11:10

He's really not going to say anything again is he? Besides, there's nothing he can say about our ambition considering we're constantly throwing money at world class players for the past 2-3 years now.
  36. May 20, 2017 at 11:32

Yes but Zlatan scored 30 goals, at the age of 35 and he is criticised for underperforming. Rooney scored 14, in what should be his prime, there's a massive difference.

It's not just criticism, it's the level of criticism thats noticeable. You'll get people complaining about players in every thread but the sheer level of complaint in those past performance threads demonstrates just how badly he has performed. There's a degree of revisionism going on here.
  37. May 20, 2017 at 11:38

Cnaiür urs Skiötha Full Member

One of my alltime favorite players.
    Legend.
  38. May 20, 2017 at 11:44

dichinero Full Member

I fear for some people's sanity the day he leaves.
  39. May 20, 2017 at 12:22

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Said the same in his performance thread.

How anyone with eyes can say they don't get the "not looked after himself " is beyond delusional.
  40. May 20, 2017 at 12:24

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Out of interest which current English players do you like?