Ways to fix our current struggles

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rajma, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017

Rajma Full Member

I'll start with...

1. Stop playing midfield two, our opponents are able to find too much freedom in the middle of the park and it doesn't require a huge effort to bypass our midfield, meaning that we're chasing the shadows constantly, leaving ourselves exposed, and giving the opposition constant encouragement. Worse than that it prevents us from getting into any sort of rhythm while in-play as everything feels just so dis-joint, especially, when we're chasing as opposition finds it very to bring the ball to our half disrupting completely any sense of urgency that we might have had.

What else you feel can make us better in order to come out of this slump sharpish, as there's really little room for error now?
  2. Dec 30, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

Stop playing strikers (Martial/Rashford) and CAMs (Mkhi/Mata/Lingard) on the wings.

Sign some proper wingers.
  3. Dec 30, 2017

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

£££
  4. Dec 30, 2017

Fooza New Member

Buy a drone, record City's training under Pep and implement it?

Jokes aside, buy quality proven players and have a quality squad depth. Getting rid of our injury prone players and deadwood too.
  5. Dec 30, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Need to lift the spirit and get some confidence back. Maybe try some new fun attacking moves in training. Try some new methods to attack and not just focus on risk minimization. I can tell you when you are feeling shit putting focus on trying to reduce errors often make you do more of them. Also as a way to turn away focus from our bad spell have a secret night out with some hookers/strip club or whatever to lift the team spirit up.

LVG did that right once making his players horny so find some way to get them horny and up for it. If we just moan and keep playing the same way I doubt anything will change.
  6. Dec 30, 2017

Lol that one was funny.
  7. Dec 30, 2017

Vashu Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement

My not so wild guess would be that Mkhi could actually put a cross with his right foot. Though that right wing territory is seemingly Mata's domain.
  8. Dec 30, 2017

Fergies Formula Full Member

One of our issues which has ramifications throughout our whole build up is that I would say the defence needs to push higher up, the distance across the pitch from the forwards to the defenders is far too much. Back in the Ferdiand - Vidic days they would squeeze the back 4 up to the half way line and we would camp 10 players in their half. Now Matic/ Pogba has to take the ball from the feet of the back for on the edge of the 18 yard area and build something from there, it takes a lot of passes to cover the distance and its all too slow.

Jones/ Lindelof needs to take leadership here and squeeze the play, they need to be more aggresive and push their midfielders forward and take ownership of their zones.
  9. Dec 30, 2017

deafepl Full Member

Buy referees to help us out in games and pay the FA to fine City millions and encourage the FA to ban all club in the league in transfer windows for next 5 years and let United dominating league.. and pay UEFA 100m to give us at least 2 cl and claim we were robbed by Barcelona and deserved a trophy. Start a campaign about club getting funded by states must be illegal and should be shut down and put more pressure on FIFA/UEFA to take action against City/PSG. All thing the United owner and board have done for us in post SAF will be forgiven and can appreciate how they would do dirty for us.
  10. Dec 30, 2017

For long term solutions we need to work in training on attacking tactics much more and implement clear methods how to break teams down depending on the shape they got. Also we need to sign better players in the market, but I guess that is obvious and everyone state that. Need to get in the players we need rather than getting them for the sake of it.
  11. Dec 30, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

Its not tactical. Its down to squad ethos. If the team isn't confident the tactics wont matter. That's Jose's responsibility to fix it behind the scenes.
  12. Dec 30, 2017

el3mel Full Member

First of all Mourinho needs to find something to motivate the players. The mentality of the team is its lowest state at the moment and it's up to the manager to find some way to motivate them to go on.

I don't think we have much to do formation wise, we're shot in attacking options at the moment with Lukaku's injury and Mikhi terrible form. I'll resort to 3-5-2 though since we don't have proper wingers, but nothing more can be done.
  13. Dec 30, 2017

|Neo|x Full Member

Build a team around the players strengths, rather than trying to make the players fit Mourinho's system. Martial and Rashford do not excel at getting down the wing and putting in a cross. Rashford's biggest strength is running into space behind a defender, yet we don't have the movement from other players up front to allow this.

Pogba is isolated in the middle and has too few options once he gets the ball. Mkhitaryan has been beyond terrible, but once again the lack of options he has at times is abysmal. I loved watching him play at Dortmund and he was brilliant at linking play with quick one-twos, but we play at too slow of a pace to take advantage of this. Too many times our players stick to their position after making a pass, instead of continuing their run. If nothing else, it will at least drag other opposition players out of position.

Another big issue I have is how we never seem to be set up to counter. Players should have exact instructions in what position to be, what runs to make and have knowledge of where other teammates should be after we defend a corner. Yet thy seem like headless chickens after the ball is cleared from our box.
  14. Dec 30, 2017

settembrini Full Member

Go back to 3-4-1-2 because it suits our squad a lot more and we played better and got better results while using it.
  15. Dec 30, 2017

Backrow Singer Full Member

I don't think there's anything tactical that is drastically wrong, it's just a team that is short of quality and confidence. Our transitions are decent but when we get in their half we don't have the quality to really cut teams open and turn chances into goals.

I've just said on his thread that I feel like we miss Carrick. Just someone in there who can sit alongside Matic, keep the team ticking over a bit more and release Pogba. That's theoretical though so we'll have to make do with what we've got and Herrera isn't a player I rate at all really.

I just think we are short on genuine quality. Rashford and Lingard as your 9/11 and your 10 isn't good enough for me consistently. Shaw isn't quite there yet, Lakaku has been miss more than hit IMO, Pogba can be whatever he wants to be. That front four is just lacking in consistent quality for me.
  16. Dec 30, 2017

Rajma Full Member

That I agree with. Like whoever had training sessions even at semi-decent level will know the most basic exercise with 3 players running in diagonal lines across each other is very effective solution to throwing off the defenders in counter attacks, however, we seem to not have it in our play.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  17. Dec 30, 2017

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Buy players that are good but also have a "never lose" attitude. If it comes to it, I'd rather have a 7/10 player with a superb attitude over an excellent player who is mentally weak. I don't care if they come from Barcelona or Barnsley.

Buy wingers. Just because it's trendy to play without them doesn't make it right (for us).

Play Pogba more advanced.

Pick a team and then a formation that suits those players OR a formation then the players to make it work. i.e. if you pick Lukaku, get close support to him/don't isolate him (he's not a hold up CF).

Any player that shows a poor attitude is subbed/dropped.

More positive attitude/tactics... if Jose won't, bye bye. It's one thing losing but losing negatively is not good enough.

The two trophies last year are masking where we are.... this is Moyes, Van Gaal, Dave Sexton. Give me Tommy Docherty, Ron Atkinson.

We win diddly this season (or worse, don't get top.4), I can see De Gea and Pogba going (and who'd blame them). That would be catastrophic..... wilderness.
  18. Dec 30, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Jose needs to earn his corn now. He's the manager, and it's now up to him to motivate the shit out his players. It's up to him to prove the doubters wrong.
  19. Dec 30, 2017

Møllemanden Full Member

Mourinho likes control. So we're probably not going to see a different approach.

If I was Man Utd manager, i'd change the objective. I know Mourinho would argue with me, but it feels like we're playing to avoid defeat - not to win. I know we're not, but it feels like it.

The players should be encouraged to cover for each other all around the pitch - give more freedom to utilise the creativity of players like Miki, Martial, Pogba etc.

Shaw and Miki looks like they've given up at times. And who can blame them? Mourinho really should encourage them instead of publicly humiliate them. It's a lack of respect in my opinion.

A happy footballer is more likely to be a good footballer.

That's where i'd start.
  20. Dec 30, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Get your strikers scoring goals. Confidence will follow.
  21. Dec 30, 2017

Rawls You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

The pessimist in me feels that there is no short-term panacea which can cure all of United's ills. Personally, I feel that there are better managers out there than Mourinho right now, and that Mourinho, once the tactical revolutionary, has failed to evolve his ideas. However, sacking José right now would probably be an ill-advised move; if you want to change managers, you do so in the summer.

Looking into the future, our most important appointment should not be the manager, but rather should be a Director of Football or Sporting Director. In this day and age, managers have a short shelf-life at clubs; José, for instance, rarely stays at a club beyond three years. If you are going to be changing manager every three years, then you must ensure that there is a strong degree of continuity in playing style. For this to happen, a DoF needs to be appointed; the idea would be that the DoF would hire similar managers every three years in order to ensure continuity in playing style. Hypothetically speaking, imagine hiring Sarri for three years, then Tuchel for three years, then Nagelsmann for three years; doing this would likely mean that there would be no drastic overhaul in terms of tactics, and therefore no drastic overhaul in personnel, ensuring a competitive side in both the short-term and the long-term.

Focusing on the rest of the 2017/2018 season, United should go back to either the 3-4-1-2 or the 4-3-3. The 4-2-3-1 makes no sense; it exposes Pogba's defensive weaknesses whilst inhibiting his offensive strengths. It's foolish to not build your team around your best outfield player, and for as long as we continue in a 4-2-3-1, we will continue to negate Pogba's effectiveness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for our attack becoming more incisive, José has always adopted a laissez-faire approach to offensive play; therefore, his attacks tend to be quite unstructured when in possession. The best attacking teams this season in Europe have been City and Napoli; both Guardiola and Sarri's sides are highly-structured once in possession. IMO, to be very successful when it comes to attacking play in the modern game, you have to coach a highly-structured possession-oriented system. As mentioned earlier however, José's modus operandi is not centred on a being highly-structured once in possession. Unfortunately, working under the premise that leopards don't change their spots, I can't really say with confidence that our offensive problems will soon disappear.
  22. Dec 30, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Sports harder. Be better at football. Go full Ashley Young and just start chinning everyone.
  23. Dec 30, 2017

Jig1234 Full Member

Spot on: signing players won't fix anything at Utd. especially playing the kind of football Mourinho has us playing. - Mourinho says he needs more money but he hasn't improved a single player and none of his signings are thriving either. Can also see why Woodward and the higher ups are reluctant to give him a black cheque. Mourinho needs to start finding solutions. Change the system, formation and start coaching. Too many errors being made on the pitch.

24. Dec 30, 2017

yamo123x Full Member

Basics in training and man management-simple basics but if u ask yourself most of the below is true

How to take a corner

How to cross the ball

How to press and win the ball back and tackle to get the crowd up

How to make a forward run into the box and create space

Find out what players real positions are and play them there

Teach players to not stop playing when they go ahead and invite pressure

Teach players to run with the ball and commit players to get the crowd up

Learn how to Make forward runs into space so our forwards are not just playing with back to goal in a static turgid predictable manner against packed defences

Ship out dead wood who aren't good enough for Man Utd
    give chances to pereira tuanzebe and gomes.
  25. Dec 30, 2017

singhters New Member

Shooting practice for the strikers, we need to be more clinical we could have won that game tonight if lukaku had scored that FREE header which he should have done, lingard had a chance, rashford should have shot first time.

But overall more urgency more pace is needed just far too slow we need to close down quicker force mistakes.

Jose needs to stop whinging and blaming everyone else and start being a winner again.
  26. Dec 30, 2017

Hed Zitin Banned

Buy better attacking players because the manager can't improve them.
  27. Dec 30, 2017

Vashu Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement

For starters get Jose his prescription for antidepressants.
  28. Dec 30, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Then they will be as bad as the current ones.
  29. Dec 30, 2017

bsCallout New Member

Easy.

1. Play Shaw and Valencia as Wing backs (best positions).
    2. Play 3 CB's (We are strong there)
    3. Play Martial/Rashford as Strikers (Lukaku is better in partnerships and these are Strikers not Wingers)
    4. Play 3 CM's( So we are not over run and Matic and Pogba can just do what they're best at whilst giving a youngster a chance, see next point.)
    5. Play A. Gomes or Pereira.
    6. Stop trying to play CAM's!

(GK)De Gea. (CB)Bailly, Jones, Lindelof. (WB)Shaw, Valenica. (CM)Pogba, Matic, Gomes. (ST)Martial, Lukaku.

Buy Perisic, Greizman, and a new RWB.
    Sell Blind, Mata, Miki.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  30. Dec 30, 2017

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Fans think the only ways to solve problems are things can do on fifa ie buy players or change formation. We need mourinho to start managing and motivating the team better rather than just some random line up change
  31. Dec 30, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Push Ashley Young and Valencia further up in 2017 because they our best wingers.
  32. Dec 30, 2017

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

I'd definitely be playing 4-3-3. Matic deepest with Pogba and another midfielder further forward. Herrera isn't good enough, neither is Fellaini, so to implement this we'd need a proper quality midfielder signed.

Two wide attackers off Lukaku up front.
  33. Dec 30, 2017

Ban Full Member

Buy a forward player or 2. It's a must. Our forward options are absolutely terrible.
  34. Dec 30, 2017

Manny Grammar Police

I agree with that tweet and I think its been discussed in the 'attacking coach' thread.

The players look like they are trying to play from scratch. There are no set patterns, no one know when to make a run, who wants what ball and where, timing of the pass, pace on the ball. Its why we look so disjointed in attack.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  35. Dec 30, 2017

Brophs The one and only

Er.....sign Flintoff from cricket?
  36. Dec 30, 2017

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

The problem being that Bailly, Valencia, Rojo, Zlatan, Smalling, Fellaini are all either injured or not match fit (Rojo might never hit the heights he did last season either). Then the likes of Mata and Mkhitaryan. The first is a squad player, the second should be sold. Martial and Rashford are too inconsistent. Lukaku is now also out for at least a game or two.

We have a lot of short term problems to go with the long term, but I don't think Jose would play 4231 if he had his first choice XI available. In fact, even if he had one reliable CB and Valencia fit, I think we'd see 352 of some kind.
  37. Dec 30, 2017

Yeah long term we need to work on this, but you will need some months to improve on these things. Short term we need to lift up the confidence.
  38. Dec 30, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

1. Manager needs to motivate the players.
    2. Like others have said the team doesn't look well drilled.
    3. I don't think there is enough competition for places. We need to buy in January but we should also use our younger players. Taunzebe should get games if senior defenders are looking shoddy. Bring back TFM and give him game time here. Finally Pereira should be recalled. If he doesn't like it he can hand in a transfer request. We need all hands at the pump. He can't be any less effective than Mata and Miki.
  39. Dec 30, 2017

Berbaclass Full Member

We have players with lots of ability. What we don’t have is a coherent plan.
  40. Dec 30, 2017

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

All depends what the dressing room is like. If its toxic and the players have lost faith in Jose, then unfortunately there is only one end.
    If its just the players that are in a rut of form, we need to bring a fresh face or two to rejuvinate the squad in January.
    Also get rid of a player who isn't good enough or is half-arsing it, so it gives the rest the idea to buck up their ideas or they are out in Summer.