We can't win the league every year

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Plechazunga, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012

kouroux Full Member

As I said in another thread, I never expected this United team to challenge for the title like they have.It's been a tough, frustrating but still good season tbh.The standard is so high that finishing second is seen as a failure.
    This team has won so much in recent years,we've been lucky to have had that
  2. May 7, 2012

Ruud_boy_10 Full Member

86 points is an unbelievable points tally. Just to put it into context Arsenal's "invincibles" only got 84. If we get to 89 and lose it on goal difference then you have to say we're very unlucky.
  3. May 7, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

The points argument is valid, but it is the same one we have often laughed at Liverpool fans for a few years ago when they came second to us.

I didnt expect us to win the league this year either, but its the manner of the loss (assuming QPR dont do us any favours next weekend).
    a) That its City. Didnt expect them to be winning it for another couple of years at least.
    b) That we let an 8 point lead go with only a few matches left.

Looking at it over the context of the entire season we have done well, but from the position we were in a month ago to where we are now...had you told me we would let an 8 point lead go with only 6 or so games left in the season I would have laughed. We all talk about title winning experience, cool heads and never bottling it...well turns out we did just that in the end.
  4. May 7, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    it's not losing the league, it's the way we have done it that's killing me.
  5. May 7, 2012

#07 Full Member

Are you sure? I recall them getting 90 points and us finishing 3rd on 75. Chelsea then topped it off the next year getting 95 points. Not belittling the achievement of getting 89 points but apart from in the last two seasons generally the Champions have had to get to around or above 90 points every year since the Mourinho days so nothing is particularly remarkable about us doing that given we're a title chasing side.

We cannot win the title every year but we shouldn't go into Eastertide with an 8 point lead and throw it away. Had City marched ahead of us like Chelsea did in 2006 with us going to their ground last Monday more in hope than anticipation you could just accept it. But messing it up having been 8 points clear with a handful of games to go and going to Wastelands needing only a draw is a bitter pill to swallow.
  6. May 7, 2012

dogrob Full Member

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
    I think for most people its not winning the title that's the problem its how the team has lost or drawn games, if the team gives its all from start to finish and the other team wins then fair enough on the day the better team won, but this season there have been occasions whether due to complacency or something else where the team switches off be it after going a goal ahead or just not getting started.

Maybe we are spoilt due to Teams from earlier where if the opponent scored then United would score two or three more, where the team gave there all for 90 minutes and beyond which at times doesn't seem the case with this team.

Despite this the team has done exceptionally well partly due to Sir Alex Ferguson and partly due to our opponents having a similar season to ours with results that no one expected.
  7. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

That's true, and I would've been fine with not winning this one, but what makes me unhappy with not winning it is the fact that we were so close to winning it. To throw it away when practically on the verge of victory is what gets at me.

Still, this will hopefully make Fergie come back stronger and more hungry to win it from City, assuming that they don't find a way to blow it now.
  8. May 7, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

Exactly! One thing that was irritating me is that we literally had no out ball against city. Any time we tried to get it out, we just ended up giving the ball away or just doing little with the possession we had. Teams know how to upset our rhythm and for a while, I havent seen a good enough response to it. With everton we were close but our defensive lapses overshadowed that. For once, when another team pressed us, we decided to match them and up our tempo. I hadn't seen that in a while.
  9. May 7, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Voice of reason...
  10. May 7, 2012

Stretch Full Member

Whilst that loss at Everton really cost us, I still think the result that really won it for City was the 6-1 at OT. That was GD swing of +10 for them and -10 for us. That was a significant result. We were always going to drop unexpected points in the run in and we did.

I'm proud of the boys, because as the OP says, we had no business still challenging at this stage of the season. It's disappointing that we've dropped the ball at the crucial stage of the season but we'll be stronger next season and I'm excited about that. For now though, I'm licking my wounds and dealing with taking a bucket load of slack from other fans. Ah well, on to next season then. The future looks bright.
  11. May 7, 2012

Jacob Full Member

I agree that we can't win it every year, the current crop of supporters are too spoilt. On another note, I believe these three all-round midfielders would do wonders for us, be it realistic transfers or not (point is to prove what we lack):

Yaya Touré
    Kevin Prince Boateng
    Michael Essien
  12. May 7, 2012

Smores Full Member

Exactly how I feel to be honest, there's been ups and downs this season but I'm still proud of what we did. It's completely unrealistic to win it every year as changes in key personnel will always hamper the team. On top of that there's always going to be a team every now and again that has an unbelievable season.

People hate our fans because a large section are judged to demand constant glory like a spoilt child, sometimes this forum makes me wonder if that's true.

For me I know it's not a bad season as people are finding it hard to take the piss out of us.
  13. May 7, 2012

gaffs Full Member

Being able to rotate the team in order to keep players fresh is what Fergie has done very well this season.

Where I feel we have fallen down in the last few games is the Fergie does not have a best XI like City do for that final push.
  14. May 7, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

It was there for the winning though. I can accept not winning the league when it's been out of reach but this year was different . Before Christmas I didn't think there was a chance and then we went 8 points clear! Very depressing
  15. May 7, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

Essien, Boateng...?

:lol:
  16. May 7, 2012

noodlehair "It's like..."

I still think starting the Everton game with the attitude we did with what was at stake was the most telling thing all season. It's been systematic of the way this United side has played for the last two years now...no incentive to come out fighting until someone puts them on the ropes.

It probably is a result of success more than anything and we've done amazingly well to not let standards drop a lot more than we have in many ways...but then in other ways it's still disappointing to watch...and when it's so close you're always going to pick out individual games (fecking Blackburn) where we've got things wrong.

I will be happy if this season pushes us to building a new, hungry looking team rather than continuing to rely on the tried and tested, which even last year looked to be running out of fight. We had something fresh at the start of the season, but it never really held together...a year or two too soon perhaps, but it should be time to start focusing on that now and not using the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Park, Evra etc. as comfort blankets.

After a point, the advantage you get with the experience of "been there, done that" is trumped by ageing limbs and the complacency of "been there, done that, loads of times"...that was pretty much as evident as it'll ever get last Monday.

It's not a lack of passion or commitment or anything as daft as that. It's just the price of success and the need to constantly be on the move and changing to stop things going stale. Something we haven't done in certain areas (midfield).

When you've got Barcelona, possibly the best team ever, falling into the same trap though, you can see how nigh on impossible it really is to stave it off without the odd spell of disappointment to keep the fire burning.
  17. May 7, 2012

The Neviller Banned

One thing I take from this thread is that I'm not sure some people know what "bottled it" means.
  18. May 7, 2012

Salvation Damnation

Would have been a perfect outlook for a team chasing runaway leaders. Not when you've bottled an 8 point lead within 4 weeks towards the summit. At least Arsenal used to do it with some effort behind it (is that worse?).

This is still a better showing than the transitional side of 04/05 even though that side was pitted against a superior opponent in Chelsea.
  19. May 7, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

We have over-achieved this season, in the circumstances. You won't find many neutrals who think we are as good as City, or as close as the league table suggests. Disappointing because we came so close but we deserve more credit for our pre-Wigan surge than criticism for the post-Wigan collapse. It hurts because it goes against that expectation we have that we will finish the season strongly, it's a bit of a trademark and it deserted us this year. But sometimes you need these setbacks to ensure players retain their motivation. We'll be back fighting for the top next season.
  20. May 7, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

You know, we have to put things into perspective. We have a young promising keeper who had to put up with an ever-changing back four in front of him during his first season. He's done remarkably well coming through this season as good as he's done. We often hear our fans say "well you can't just buy players and form a team and expect them to gel on the first get go" when it comes to rival teams - we shouldn't exclude ourselves from that sentiment. We have a lot of young, individually skilled players but the majority of them haven't been in these situations before. The last thing they need is people pointing fingers and questioning their abilities. The lack of experience can only be improved and I'm sure we'll start to see the better of it rather soon.

Then we have the injuries - we've been banging on about them and they've appeared as a bad excuse for our failed attempts at winning trophies this season, but even with the injuries we've scored more goals, conceded less and had a better goal difference than last season league campaign.
  21. May 7, 2012

kf Full Member

I was reading the Bobby Robson thread in the football forum and this seems apt:

City have been the better side this season and barring Sparky pulling some sort of miracle result out of the bag next week they will be worthy champions. As Plech says, we can't win it every year... that would be no game at all.

Keep the red flag flying high and come back for another roller coaster ride in August
  22. May 7, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

We've done brilliant to the extent that we dropped the ball. From the position we were in, we should be champions. We can use every excuse under the sun but 10 minutes against Everton could cost us everything. They could be champions and we could be on the same same points total. The fact is against City in the two league games - we've not done well enough. In the cup we were brilliant up until complacency set in.

We can't win every year but this shouldn't have been one of those years. With all that we've faced, that Everton game should have been done and dusted at 3-1 and 4-2.
  23. May 7, 2012

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

I... agree with Erica.
  24. May 7, 2012

Amir Full Member

Obviously, as people said, it's the way we lost is that is most upsetting. If City kept us a few points behind and won it, it would have been easier to accept it. But I think we also accept that this United side - with injuries, lack of quality in midfield and partial lack of experience - was always more volunrable to such a thing happening.

It happens. The title we lost in 1998 wasn't as dramatic, but we still ended up losing a lead. In 1994 we also let Blackburn in after having a massive lead, but just managed to recover in time.
  25. May 7, 2012

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

This is very true, but a point neglected by football fans when the action gets underway. Silverware before anything else for a some fans.
  26. May 7, 2012

togg Full Member

This.

Ferguson knows it..the team know it...everyone bloody knows it. Those last 8 minutes against everton were so unlike any united side I can remember at this time of the season. That is why it was such a bloody shock. Ferguson was shocked, the players were shocked...we were all bloody shocked.

It was the defining moment this season when we lost the title, regardless of all that went on before.
  27. May 7, 2012

Waltraute She-Devil

Ihr Licht wird hell, ihr Stern geht auf...
    Now Simon and Skywarden conveniently made my two major points for me --
    and
    I can get on with moaning about the horrors of having decades of a festering inferiority complex and pent-up frustration explode upon us like a supernova of schadenfreude. What a delightful summer it will be...

But, no -- while emotionally the season's served up some true low-points (the 1-6 derby; Europe; Everton at home), it's been far from catastrophic. But given how close we came to winning the league, and the fact that it's the blues profiting from our mistakes, it's only natural there's a bit of hyperbolic dooming & glooming, I think.
  28. May 7, 2012

Plan M Banned

I agree with the OP, you can't win them all.

There are some extremely bad losers around here too. We'll be back next season - we're Manchester United.
  29. May 7, 2012

Jacob Full Member

How is that laughable? If Essien gets back to previous form he's arguably top 5 midfielders in the world with regard to overall contribution. Boateng has been one of Milan's best players this season, a powerhouse like Essien and a work ethic of a jew.
  30. May 7, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Marvellous. That is brilliantly put.
  31. May 7, 2012

kiristao Full Member

You really think we tried as hard as we could or should have?
  32. May 7, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

This.
  33. May 7, 2012

kiristao Full Member

You honestly think that they players played with as much desire as they could have.
  34. May 7, 2012

kiristao Full Member

I think the bold part is spot on. Maybe we needed disappointment to get the fire burning again. We need to freshen things up. Hopefully Fergie will do it over the summer.
  35. May 7, 2012

kietotheworld Banned

It's not just the League though, is it? This time last year we were preparing for a Champions League Final against Barcelona, and when we lost that, the talk was of how they had set the bar and that's what Ferguson would be aiming for, to get us back to the top of Europe. It's remarkable how much standards have dropped since then, how the European disasters, not even being capable of a serious Europa League challenge, let alone a Champions League one, has become totally acceptable, and the picture painted is that all our problems are due to Manchester City's wealth.
  36. May 7, 2012

Ringo 07 Full Member

As crazy a it sounds it was a lack of experience in key areas that cost us the title even though we were the ones supposedly with all the experience. City buy players at an age where the players are already at their peak and they have 2 experienced players for every position. We dont have that luxury but as the team matures we will improve
  37. May 7, 2012

Saliph Banned

I would've been proud if we hadn't pissed it away in such a careless way.
  38. May 7, 2012

Barbara Charles Full Member

I agree with the opening post - we cannot win every year. I would not mind so much losing to Arsenal or Spurs, that is to say, a legitimate team. But to lose out to that trash: it's enough to make you puke.
  39. May 7, 2012

JustAFan Red Yankee

A evil little city in the NE United States

Want to be really amazed, look up the points total the 99 Treble Winning side got. In fact run through the history of the PL and check out some of the points totals, it has ranged from in the high 70's to the mid to low 90's.
  40. May 7, 2012

ecantona7 Full Member

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
    We were 8 points clear with 6 games to go, we fecking bottled it. When you look at it overall then yes it's been a good season considering all the injuries but when you look at it with 8 points clear with 6 games to go, we bottled it, simple as that.