"We did not have Fellaini to change the game."

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Adisa, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018

shamans Hoser

You're re-writing the story here. Fellainin has had many, many starts where he was dominant from start to finish or even weeks where he was a consistent and good starter.
  2. Nov 8, 2018

DCP New Member

The issue with starting with Fellaini is that he hasn't got a position.

He came on and found himself as striker. We scored, twice, and he went to centre back.

It's from the Dion Dublin school of football.

I like him, he has rescued us or changed the game on many occasions under Mourinho, even under Van Gaal when we seemed to be unbeatable with him playing some kind of left wing, midfield, striker hybrid.

He has is uses, specific games and to change games only.
  3. Nov 8, 2018

CA1 Full Member

Belgian supremo silence the Caf again.

He has this place on strings.
  4. Nov 8, 2018

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    :lol:

I think they actually had 7 players marking him during that free kick, nobody obviosuly cared about our any other player. After all, Fellaini's 3 goals per season is all you need to know about his killer instinct.
  5. Nov 9, 2018 at 12:46

Copa Mundial New Member

Fellaini get's too much undue stick on here imho. Whether he is plan A or plan B the guy does a job and on Wednesday night this was demonstrated to devastating effect. The Juve defenders were simply terrified of him and had absolutely no answer to his physicality. Let's be honest here, football isn't all about tiki-taca, sometimes you just got to win ugly!

Personally I would stick him just behind our centre forward and let everyone feed off him. If we're being honest our strikers never have any decent service from the flanks due to our current personnel, but with Fellaini up top I can guarantee we would generate more half chances.

Is Fellaini the long term option? Of course not, but until we get any width in our team we might as well play off him. Let's also not forget the defensive qualities he brings too when defending free kicks and corners.

I for one would start him against City, he would terrorise both Stones and Walker, who are great going forward but poor in a physical battle.

I feel some supporters need to swallow their pride and realise it is OK to appreciate someone that doesn't necessarily fit with the traditional mould of a United player.

Cheers
    CM
  6. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:27

RedDevil@84 Full Member

It is as if Fellaini has no negatives.

I think people are going overboard with the praise. He has his uses, but at the same time he has negatives too. City players will be rolling on the ground everytime he jumps and ref would give in because Fellaini has a reputation with elbows.
  7. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:28

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

This is Fellaini's world, we're all just living in it.
  8. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:39

ash_86 Full Member

9. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:42

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Fellaini linked with Juventus move.
  10. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:44

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Ronaldo requests Juventus to buy Fellaini at whatever cost.
  11. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:49

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Mourinho vindicated!

4 pages of moaning from people wasted. It just goes to show how highly rated Fellaini actually is. Managers as different as Moyes, LvG, Mourinho, Martinez and Allegri all see it.
  12. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:52

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    :lol: this aged well
  13. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:53

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

This is me as well. I've grown to kind of like him after being staunchly against. Mostly down to him being played in a proper role in recent times and not just stuck on at the end (apart from this week when creating a bit of havoc with him helped).
    I also want better options like you though.
  14. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:55

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Seriously folks can we move on from this he is clearly an important part of the squad. Eventually he will leave to the relief of the snobby nonsense merchants but until then just leave him be
  15. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:56

RedDevil@84 Full Member

If Jose told something like this, people would have roasted him for trying to shift the focus from his crap substitution idea.
  16. Nov 9, 2018 at 15:56

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Not only that, Fellaini works because he's not supposed to be a starter, so when he comes in the enemy team isn't prepared for him, they either have to sub in a player that can deal with him (if they have one), train plays against him (which can be a waste if Jose doesn't, so still works out for United) or face the risks. A manager can't do a caution sub "just in case Fellaini joins" because then Mou has an extra sub than him if he doesn't bring him in, he acts as a great chess piece in the tactical sense of the game.

But if you start him every day, more players will become familiarized with him, coaches will prepare to nullify his impact and then you just lose his production AND a sub because you have to get him out, not every player has the right skillset to play 90 minutes every game.
  17. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:01

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Exactly. I have previously posted I guess in the same thread. Fellaini creates a disturbance in a match going in one direction, which could definitely benefit United. That is where his impact is. If the opposition team can weather that, then his sub in creates no use (which is why the stats don't back him as an impact sub).
  18. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:12

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Yeah they got him sent off in the season before the last one I remember. I don't think he would be suited to this kind of game.
    He shouldn't play unless we need a goal in the late stages.
  19. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:16

el3mel Full Member

So far Mourinho, LVG, Allegri and Martinez realized how good and important he really is, but we should believe some of our fans who keep mocking him. :rolleyes:
  20. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:34

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

21. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:47

breakout67 Full Member

No chance in hell these managers have a clue about tactics. It's the caf experts that would be world class managers if they weren't on this forum.
  22. Nov 9, 2018 at 16:52

Kazi Full Member

There you have it, Fellaini is the difference between the two teams
  23. Nov 9, 2018 at 17:05

Amadaeus Ooh, rock me!

Supports:
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Amadaeus vindicated. I have never doubted his effectiveness as a plan B and I was even the first to mention this a few months back.
  24. Nov 9, 2018 at 18:51

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    Fellaini (and the team) tends to do well when he's given a specific job to do. It can be a defensive job where he really focuses on stopping a particular player or, as we saw earlier this season, sits in front of the central defenders to cover them. Or it can be an offensive job where he's constantly competing with the opposition defenders and causing them all kinds of troubles. Sometimes even just as a runner who doesn't stop in the middle of the pitch when we want to see a match out. And he can switch between those roles throughout a match.

It's when he's played as just a normal central midfielder that things tend to go to shit. He plays poorly on the individual level, and the team as a whole tends to struggle as he can't really provide what is needed.
  25. Nov 9, 2018 at 18:53

haram Full Member

Nah, Allegri and Mourinho are wrong.
  26. Nov 9, 2018 at 19:05

Kostur Full Member

After those and Mourinho on Martial quotes today I'm afraid some feckers here will top themselves.
  27. Nov 9, 2018 at 19:08

SirAF Ageist

28. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:07

Hughie77 New Member

I think there whole team bar 2 marked him on the free kick, that's how much they feared his height. I though he changed the way juve played against us when he came on. He's a big plus for us in certain games. Jose likes him, lvg liked him, Moyes bought him, plays regular for Belgium, so he must be a asset?
  29. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:26

Judas Open to offers

As long as we use him to his strengths I very much understand his place in the squad. It’s when’s used in the middle of the pitch I get confused.
  30. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:27

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Most football fans think of Fellaini as a bang average footballer who is simply stealing a living at United. However, football managers (and @shamans) believe he is the greatest talent since Franz Beckenbauer and should be recognized as a Balloon Door contender.

It's all a little bizarre if you ask me.
  31. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:27

Yagami Full Member

I can't wait until we sell him but we need him with José. Hopefully we don't need him with the next man in charge but, for now, he should probably play as often as possible.
  32. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:36

Foxbatt Full Member

A man who plays regularly for Belgium under different managers is simply not good enough for some people to even play at championship level.
    He should not be starting at uniteU all the time but surely he must be on the bench for us when he is needed.
    It's not his problem that managers don't have a plan A to start the match.
    He won the 3rd place in the WC for belgBel and surely his advantages outweigh his disadvantages.
    The man is rock solid and gives all his for this club despite all the abuse he got or gets from some of the "fans".
  33. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:36

shamans Hoser

Must be fun to make up words. Unless you think always holding the opinion that Fellaini was better than Cleverely (when this forum laughed at me for that) is saying he should be Ballon D'or contender?
  34. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:37

shamans Hoser

Right. He starts for Belgium and helps them in big international games but he supposedly he is an embarrassment to be on our squad as a squad player?
  35. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:40

Yorkeontop Full Member

Here here.
  36. Nov 9, 2018 at 20:58

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Only messing with you mate ;)
  37. Nov 9, 2018 at 21:37

shamans Hoser

Ah okay, had my Fellaini defense mode on!
  38. Nov 9, 2018 at 22:50

KristianMackle New Member

Now everybody hopefully understands why Mou wanted to re-sign him so badly. Theres no player like him in this league. The way he brings the ball down and gives us a chance to hold the ball and start attacks.
  39. Nov 10, 2018 at 11:53

Supports:
    United!
    The thing is, they don't.

The people rationalising their hatred by talking about 'Plan A not Plan B' seem to miss that. He only had 12 PL starts in each of LvG's seasons, 18 PL starts in Mourinho's first season before Matic, and only 5 starts in the whole season after Matic arrived.

Fellaini has only ever been 'Plan A' when we'ver had injuries or a lack of options. And when he's Plan B, the best team inEurope can't deal with him.
  40. Nov 10, 2018 at 11:55

Supports:
    United!
    It's been obvious for years.

Fellaini is unplayable in the right circumstances.

The problem is that there's a section of fans who exoticise short spanish midfielders. The further you get from that paradigm, the more hatred it generates.