We will go on a run after this game against Tottenham

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Chicharito_, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Aug 28, 2018

Chicharito_ Full Member

I feel like we unlocked something today in that first 30 minutes, it was the first time in years I have seen a United side press like that and Tottehnam could not deal with us. As soon as their full backs/centre backs got the ball we wouldn't let them out and won the ball high up the pitch multiple times and when forcing them to go long would regain possession straight away. This is something the majority of us on this forum have wanted to see for a long time and I think Mourinho/back room have finally cottoned on that this is the modern way and you can't just let teams have the ball under no pressure at the back.

As well as the high press we were creating chances, Lukaku missing multiple opportunities and also Matic/Fred coming close. I can't remember a game under Mou against one of the top teams where we were creating so freely and getting into good positions with our full backs bombing on. I believe if Lukaku scored the open goal we would have gone on and won comfortably and then the journalists would be hailing a more fluid/attacking United performance that really hasn't been seen from us against the top sides.

The problem was you could start to tell after 30 minutes that we were new to the high pressing game and started to lose shape especially in the middle of the park, holes started appearing and we were getting picked off but I think we will work on this. Jose will know it was good at the beginning of that game and will have to stick to that style, with 1 week more training on the shape and then coming up against Burnley on the weekend I think we will have too much for them we win and gain momentum..

Predicting us to win our next 5 PL games (Burnley,Watford,Wolves,West Ham,Newcastle) and then the big test will be Chelsea in October, ready to be crucified if we lose this weekend but it's just my opinion that we found something tonight and playing in that style we will just have too much for these sides.

Looking forward to bumping this after each game to remind you all.
  2. Aug 28, 2018

Twisted_Woody Full Member Scout

Nice to see some positivity around here.

Not sure I entirely agree with you, but what I do know is that negativity will get us further into the dumpster fire we are already in.
  3. Aug 28, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I really wish we come out with the same intensity we did against Spurs every match but, I fully expect us to sit back and absorb pressure next match.
  4. Aug 28, 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers Scouse Lover

A run.... To the edge of the cliff?
  5. Aug 28, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

I feel exactly the same way like a new beginning. Not once today i felt that we sat back and played boringly. We were attacking right from the word go and Spurs were unable to deal with our press and in turn created several chances. Any other day we'd gone up by two goals and would have seen out the game. We will defiantly do well in the coming fixtures if we played like today.
  6. Aug 28, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

We had periods like this before. For 30 minutes last season we’d start off well especially at home. Once we don’t score we start to panic and other team grows into it.

Not sure why people seeing something new in that performance. I’ve seen it before where we started well and then let the game tester out. Sevilla game at home is a key example.
  7. Aug 28, 2018

JonDahl Full Member

Because people’s memories are short - they seem to only remember and able to compare to the Brighton game. Much like the “we’re only 3 games in” excuse when we’ve been playing shite football for 2 years.
  8. Aug 28, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    You're wildly overestimating how much we 'couldn't deal with you'. We have faced teams that press better and more organised than you did, I think the problem was first half we were sloppy, some of our players came out and were making silly mistakes (Some really not under that much pressure) and it took some time for us to get in to the flow of the game. Despite this, you basically created nothing despite your dominance, other than the moment of utter idiocy from Rose. You say you were creating 'freely', and I feel like that's simply not true .. you looked more comfortable on the ball, and yes the press was quite effective, but you weren't cutting us open at all.

I honestly think Mourinho will use this result to justify your play-style and will revert back to type. I could be totally wrong and we will see.
  9. Aug 28, 2018

Harry190 Full Member

False dawn.
  10. Aug 28, 2018

Morpheus 7 Full Member

@Chicharito_ fair play to you for showing some positivity. Unfortunately mate conceding 6 goals in the last two games, the backline worry me. Not convinced this group is playing for him. Really hope I'm wrong and we turn it around.
  11. Aug 28, 2018

Darlington Padgett New Member

We missed too many chances plus Pogba and Lukaku ruined a few attacks. But you could see that we were attacking much better up until that first goal.
  12. Aug 28, 2018

groovyalbert Full Member

Wish it was the case, but no.

There’s a lot to be worried about right now - least of all the fact we look less cohesive than we did when Jose arrived. Can’t see us going on a run, and can’t see the team putting in a perfirmance in response to tonight. That was supposed to happen this evening, and we crumbled at the first hurdle.
  13. Aug 28, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Yes. Beneath which is an ocean of league title glory.
  14. Aug 28, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

I hope so. We've shipped 6 in two matches and lost to Spurs at Old Trafford and Brighton.

I bloody well hope that shower of shite is a false dawn.
  15. Aug 28, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

Fingers crossed we do. If I remember rightly Chelsea didn't have a great start to the league when they last won the Prem, but it all finally gelled come October and they went on a run that won them the league after that.
  16. Aug 28, 2018

justboy68 Full Member

If we can only keep it up for half an hour then the only thing we're going on a run of is defeats.
  17. Aug 28, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Yeah we do this every 3 months. If I'm not mistaken we suffocated Chelsea with our pressing in the game Herrera man marked Hazard.

It's essentially Mourinho's plan B in certain big games. We did it early on against Arsenal at Emirates when we won 2-1 too. But everytime we've reverted to our usual style of play thereafter.
  18. Aug 28, 2018

99withaflake Full Member

I can't remember the last time we played that well for 30-35 minutes. It was really good stuff. Even with average finishing, we would have been a couple of goals ahead against a decent Spurs side.

Spurs were trapped and we were creating chances. Then our defence decided to go all League 2.

I hope you're right though. I hope they start off the next game exactly the same, and manage to maintain it for longer periods of the second half. My fear is that once we go behind, we're not mentally strong enough to keep it going and play our way back into a match.
  19. Aug 28, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    We aren't .

I am sorry but it seems to be some mark of being a great fan on here of having some point of unshakable belief(even to the point of delusion) when things aren't going well. Even when they are obvious flaws which anyone can see.

I saw it in the last days of Moyes and Van Gaal too.

Being realistic sometimes is good for you. I expected little and the season has largely gone how I thought. Still love this club but I don't owe it my blind optimism.
  20. Aug 28, 2018

simplyared Full Member

No can't see it. Not with the present set up.
  21. Aug 28, 2018

vivaronaldo Full Member

:rolleyes:
  22. Aug 28, 2018

marukomu The Gatekeeper

You go first.
  23. Aug 28, 2018

meamth Full Member

Pogba needs to stop shooting with his inside foot. Just absolutely smash that with your lace man, stop trying to place your shots.

Regarding the topic, yes I saw something encouraging today despite the loss. The main concern is if we want to play like that every game, at some point of the game players will get knackered/loss of concentration. So it is absolutely vital to score first and take control of the game.

We probably need to drop Lukaku and easing Matic into the starting line up. Stop playing unfit players.
  24. Aug 28, 2018

Sentient Meat Full Member

I felt better watching this game than the Brighton one. Really enjoyed the effort in the first half. Was one of those games where everything just missed by a foot.

I'm thinking the law of averages come around, and see no reason that we can't get full points out those next five matches.
  25. Aug 28, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

It can't get much worse tbf. This season is Moyes level already.
  26. Aug 28, 2018

Mike Oxard Full Member

We’ll beat some of the ‘canon fodder’ teams at home and struggle away from home against everyone in my view. We’ll win a few and lose a few, much like last season. That said, I think Jose will deliver in due course, we just need to be patient and loyal. Think of SAF in 1989 and how that could have gone wrong had we jettisoned him? Then it was Liverpool who dominated, now we have City to contend with, who, to be fair, are miles ahead of us. We need cool calm heads for the time being.
  27. Aug 28, 2018

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Way too much optimism. Ghanta
  28. Aug 28, 2018

YouOnlyLiveTwice Full Member

Hopefully we do. I liked some aspects of the game against Tottenham. We need to keep the same energy, but our defense really is a shambles at the moment.
  29. Aug 28, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I said in the Lukaku thread that I think we would have won the game had he scored. United were the better team for larger periods of the game. Tottenham weren't playing very well and are having similar fitness issues as we are. Their goals were down to poor mistakes by our players that they capitalized on. They themselves made mistakes that went unpunished because our players didn't finish as well.

This doom and gloom about finishing outside Europe is way overboard right now. The team is similar to last season, a team that finished comfortably in 2nd. Whilst I don't think we'll challenge I also don't think Chelsea or Tottenham have a better team than us and neither team has strengthened themselves anymore than we have, in fact Tottenham haven't at all. I definitely wasn't expecting a title challenge this season since City and Liverpool have only gotten stronger somewhat and our problems got only mildly addressed.

We've played 270 minutes this season. So far only 2 players have played all minutes (De Gea and Shaw) and we've had 20 different starters. 20 different starters in 3 matches. Mourinho said that it was going to be a long season and it's clear that he's preparing for that basically by getting the squad fit now. If we'd had a regular pre-season with every player then he wouldn't be playing 20 different players in the first 3 games in the starting lineup.
  30. Aug 28, 2018

AllezLesDiables Full Member

I believe it’s denial in the Kubler-Ross model
  31. Aug 28, 2018

But, I think those are the key differences. Spurs knows exactly how they are going to play and they obviously know who the core group. With Chelsea new coach, new style, system but, the players seem to be learning the system well and they seem to at least have an idea what their best 11 would be. It is our third season under Mourinho and I do not think anyone can tell including Mourinho what our best 11 is, what our best formation is, what style would get the best out of our players.
  32. Aug 28, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Chelsea players are learning the system? Have you watched their matches? They should have been destroyed by Arsenal. No other team has conceded as many chances in a game this season. 3 points they got there because of incompetence of their opponent, much like Spurs tonight. Against Newcastle they broke the deadlock with a penalty given to them on a platter by the ref. Chelsea have been very lucky to have won all their games so far. They look very fragile at the back.

Spurs know how to play but they also haven't improved for a while. They have the best striker, the best CB partnership, some of the best full backs and goalkeeper in the league. Their middle is also without weaknesses with Eriksen being one of the best players in the league. This team still hasn't improved upon Poch getting them into top 4 status. They haven't won anything and they haven't been properly challenging the title yet. They are coming out of this start a lot better than us but they've been playing their best players every match and I don't know if it's going to be smart going into another season with rotating Kane-Alli-Eriksen etc. after a World Cup year. The rest of their squad hasn't shown the capabilities of filling in for those players.
  33. Aug 28, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Not sure.

I don't think we played THAT well in the 1st half, but it was an improvement over the recent games. Issues in team structure was still there.

Would love it, but I don't feel confident at all for our next 2 games. We don't create enough chances. It's a lot of huff and puff.
  34. Aug 28, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

What?

Chelsea have a new manager who sets his teams to attack. They have Jorginho and Kovacic which is a big improvement on Babayoko and Fabregas. They kept their world class player in Hazard. They have better defenders than us. The only downgrade they had is the keeper.
  35. Aug 28, 2018

Beagle Full Member

Also I suppose we setup to play like that with Spurs in mind. This kind of pressing and high intensity has been reserved for a top 4 opponent and is generally out of character for this team. Doubt we will come out huffing and puffing like that against smaller teams.
  36. Aug 28, 2018

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

This is exactly it. That first 30 minutes showed us an insane amount of hope. On top of all the positives mentioned - I was very glad to see functioning full backs/wingbacks for the first time in many years. Shaw really feels like a new signing and Valencia is looking fit again
  37. Aug 28, 2018

SER19 Full Member

It will take 7 wins in a row to change trajectory of season. I hope youre right but very unlikeky
  38. Aug 28, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

We're on a losing run, I suppose it cannot get worse
  39. Aug 28, 2018

Skills Snitch

2-0 loss to Burnley coming up
  40. Aug 28, 2018

We can not be that bad.