1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

We will never win another league title playing Sanchez, Pogba and Martial together...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Arbitrium, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

We will win several. There were moments today that it was so clear to the eye that when we click, the attack will be unstoppable.

Pogba needs to be given permission to go wherever the feck he wants on the pitch, and having Mctominay and Matic pretty much mirror each other on the field enabled him to do that. He popped up everywhere, and once again looked more dangerous coming in from the left. I love having academy players in the team, but a tried and tested player next to Matic is probably a requirement in the summer.

Sanchez has the best first touch I've seen at United since Scholes and Berbatov, but his is better because he takes the ball on the turn and has the acceleration to get away from players. He can do what he did today to any defender. Truly worth his salary and a fitting number 7.

Martial has always been a star in the making, if he works enough at his game so he can be as effective through the middle and from the right as he is on the left, he's an irreplaceable member of the team. Having Rashford and Lingard as homegrown academy products means every time they are in the team they will give 100%, and the rotation of all our front players can give most defences nightmares.

The jury is still out on Lukaku, If he does his job against 60-70% of the teams in the league it might be good enough, and with the interplay going on behind him he really should forget about the hold up play and just trust that we'll find a way to get the ball to him in the box.

The best goalkeeper in the world, a stalwart in Valencia and a rejuvenated Luke Shaw, all we need is the centre halves to cut out the mistakes with their distribution or replace one of them with a World class CB to go alongside Bailly.

Can't wait to see how this team performs in the champions league, Sevilla at home is going to be an absolute cracker.
  2. Feb 3, 2018

Janson Full Member

Great post, agree with most of it.
  3. Feb 3, 2018

Mr.Ridiculous__ The name says it all

Great post. Click bait thread title.
    Thread /
  4. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

:lol:

Positivity ;)
  5. Feb 3, 2018

MrPooni Full Member

Overly positive threads like this are almost as bad as the the ridiculously negative ones. Sure, we looked good at home against a woeful Huddersfield team which was nice to see but it doesn't warrant a thesis on how we're going to steamroll the Champions League or how we've found the new Holy Trinity. We're finding our feet going forward and all the signs are there for some more progress next season but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
  6. Feb 3, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Thread title almost fooled me.

Fair play. :lol:
  7. Feb 3, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Lukaku can do his job against most in the league but should be used like how Fergie used Berba. Use him for the fixtures where we expect to dominate and need more of a presence in the box, drop him in bigger games because he is useless in those and we need all 11 players to play their part there.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

9. Feb 3, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Yeah, counted 3 + Lukaku and then added a midfield three :lol:
  10. Feb 3, 2018

Toddler New Member

Great post! Maybe a tiny bit too positive though :D.

I would like to think this is something we will line up in the future. It is not certain though. We will see!
  11. Feb 3, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Nice title to get attention to the thread. :lol:
  12. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

Agreed, The guy just needs to recognize his strengths. I like that he seems to be a team player but I don't want him to be, we have enough of those behind him that he should just be inside or as close as possible to the 18 yard box at all times. A guy who has his attributes with the likes of pogba and Sanchez feeding him- both of whom are genuinely world class at weighting a ball perfectly into the box from the left- should be causing problems for every single defence he comes up against.
  13. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

No idea what you are talking about :devil:
  14. Feb 3, 2018

Kag Full Member

It's a possibility if we can set them up to do so.

Pogba needs two midfielders alongside him (Matic and Herrera, for me). Although we've all been saying this since he arrived.

Martial and Sanchez are brilliant players that should be amongst the goals every week.
  15. Feb 3, 2018

Hitchez Full Member

I feel Lukaku struggles in the bigger games not because he's not good enough but because of how Jose sets teams up. He's required to do stuff he's never been any good at so I don't blame him for. Probably should have signed someone who was better at holding up the play.
  16. Feb 3, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member

:lol::lol: God I love these posts. We barely beat the one of the worst sides in the league and you have seen glimpses of our attack being unstoppable.

It makes the next inevitable meltdown even more hilarious.
  17. Feb 3, 2018

Kag Full Member

To be fair, he's right to be positive about the players we've got.

Too few people on this forum are.
  18. Feb 3, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

I don’t think it’s that, it’s more the trust in Jose to get the best out them all at the same time in the most effective way.

We have a fabulous squad on paper.
  19. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

You won't see me having a meltdown related to a performance. And barely beat them? That was a 2-0 walkover.
  20. Feb 3, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member

I understand being hopeful, but the optimism is taken to unwarranted ridiculous heights and then the loses are the same but in the other direction.
  21. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

[​IMG]

This is how I think we have to line up. Sanchez and Martial can wonder depending on where Pogba goes and the two CM's stay put and offer an outlet for Valencia and Shaw.

Lingard and Rashford have to accept a bit of a role as an impact sub, although the way lingard is currently playing, if we keep him in the squad at the expense of Martial it shouldn't hurt us too much.
  22. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

Why is it unwarranted?

I've witnessed All our attacking players put on several world Class performances, some of them for a variety of teams. Is it wishful thinking to expect that they will produce more of those, sometimes simultaneously?
  23. Feb 3, 2018

gerdm07 Full Member

Can we stop with the threads titled "We will never win a title with...."? Unless you have a crystal ball and can see into the future....shut up.
  24. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

You dont need to have a crystal ball to expect parody threads around here. Take your negativity out of my thread Der Bomber.
  25. Feb 3, 2018

Adebesi Full Member

We're back to being amazing again? Nice one, being the worst team ever last week was a ball ache.
  26. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

We are in a great place right now, I genuinely believe it.
  27. Feb 3, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

We beat Huddersfield 2-0 at home and two of those players only came on as subs, after we were already winning.

But ok
  28. Feb 3, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Mata has the best first touch for the record.
  29. Feb 3, 2018

DevilRed Full Member

We have quite the collection of attacking talent now. Some of them are not quite developed yet (Martial, Rashford and even Pogba/Lukaku), but Sanchez is the crown jewel. Truely can make this team tick and brings a different dimension to our attack we havent seen since Ronaldo left (or RVP's first season).
  30. Feb 3, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

Do not want to be the negative one in this thread but, one of the most important aspects of having a wc player like Sanchez is that you can see the real level of the other players in the team.
  31. Feb 3, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Come on, man. Are you ever positive about anything?
  32. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

Sanchez first touch can take a defender completely out the game, so whilst mata might take the ball out of the sky a bit better, there’s usually enough time for a defender to get into position against him.
  33. Feb 3, 2018

Arbitrium Full Member

So you don’t see it coming together anytime soon?
  34. Feb 3, 2018

MrPooni Full Member

No one's saying that but this result changes absolutely nothing. Huddersfield have been dire for a while now and look nailed on for relegation at the moment so using a decent performance against them at home based on a fresh Pogba and Martial coming off the bench is ridiculous and hardly merits an entire thread. If we performed like this away against a top 6 team it would be a different story.
  35. Feb 3, 2018

NoLogo Full Member

Have been saying this every time we tried to play Pogba as a deep playmaker or in a two man partnership with Matic. He is best when he is allowed to drive froward in a 4-3-3 and doesn't have to do much defensive work, he simply has neither the work rate nor tactical discipline to play this role. Let him and Sanchez run wild and set the rest of the team up to get the best out of them and the rest of the team will be better as well.
  36. Feb 3, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Pogba, for me, requires too much tactical pampering to become the player that many seem convinced he will become.

He will generally look good against teams who don't press at all, but the moment he's under pressure, his whole game just goes to shit.

Added to that, he creates tactical rigidness and predictability by his inability to adapt to any system other than one that is specifically tailored for him.

So while I view Sanchez and Martial as crucial players to build a team around week in week out, I actually don't put Pogba in there too.

In fact, I'd argue that Matic is more important and valuable (to us, as a team) than Pogba is. Though I'm sure that the green smiley brigade won't agree!
  37. Feb 3, 2018

Hercules Full Member

We played a team that didn't want to play, 80-20 possession in the first half ffs. Im happy that Jose dropped Martial and Pogba just to show that no one can take it for gra but I am more happy he didn't give Rashford a start just to say that if Martial is not in form, I ll pick you.

It all went well in the end, we will win the CL, or maybe not.
  38. Feb 3, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

The rigidness you speak of is exaggerated. It’s simply a 433. It’s not an unusual formation, and if it’s the one that gets the best out of your players, particularly your best players, then why not use it?

I’m guessing you are not familiar with a time on here where the question asked of any midfield player we were linked with was ‘can he play in a midfield two?’. Such a question would have ruled out the likes of Xavi, Zidane and many other greats.

Matic is more important to the structure of the team, you are not wrong. But getting Pogba to play is what you do to go from a good team to a great one. Which I believe is what we are trying to achieve. He’s not the kind of player who comes along often. ‘Tactics’ and set-ups are like a cage almost for him. You have a player who has the quality to take two or three players out in the middle of he field, the quality to put someone through on goal in an instant from just about anywhere on the pitch. Those are things most teams don’t have. They can all have structure though. The idea is for Pogba to be a man who separates us from other teams, even other good teams. He’s not just someone to ‘play in midfield’. That’s a disservice.
  39. Feb 3, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

It isn't positive or negative. It's stating what actually happened in the game.

We were 1-0 up before Pogba came on. We were 2-0 up before Martial came on...The three players mentioned spent a total of about 10 minutes on the pitch together, against an already beaten Huddersfield side.

Is this being negative, or is it what actually happened, in the game?
  40. Feb 3, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

I highly doubt the OP was written (typed) just based off one game.