"We've caught up 8-9 points before"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Brwned, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2019 at 10:49

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

You were right, I hate you.:angel:
  2. Feb 11, 2019 at 10:51

crossy1686 Full Member

Going to be interesting how we handle being in the top 4 now. Some complacency could creep in due to a 'job done' mentality. Hopefully Solskjaer keeps pushing them to chase Spurs and the others, god knows where we could finish if we don't lose another game this season.
  3. Feb 11, 2019 at 10:54

JarleA Full Member

It's amazing that we're fourth already, but I think it's even more amazing that we now have a better goal difference than both Arsenal and Chelsea as well! Ridiculous!
  4. Feb 11, 2019 at 11:02

Thisistheone Full Member

Yeah we were 0-2 down and it was an awful performance. Perhaps you're right though, West Ham.
  5. Feb 11, 2019 at 11:27

GNRfan New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Spurs would have to collapse if you are to catch them.

I don't see that happening. But then I didn't expect Chelsea to fall apart like they have.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:07
  6. Feb 11, 2019 at 12:10

crossy1686 Full Member

They've been lucky to get some of the results they've gotten recently so I'm not discounting anything at this stage. What I would love to see is a Leicester title winning season end of season collapse from everyone in the top 6 apart from United.
  7. Feb 11, 2019 at 12:14

Rozay Master of Hindsight

Hehe. Tbh you can’t blame anyone for writing it off at that point anyway.
  8. Feb 11, 2019 at 12:14

Needham Full Member

Those results. He so wanted to be sacked. Likes pay offs and can't handle anything beyond the short medium term
  9. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:00

VanGaalEra Full Member

10. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:02

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

I don’t think they have been lucky, a couple without Son and without Kane as well. They have got better results than I expected since the Utd game. They have done well. If they had dropped a few points over the past month, then we would have had a chance to catch them, that’s not going to happen now.

Our job is to try and put some distance between us and Arsenal/ Chelsea.
  11. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:21

finneh Full Member

They could've easily drawn against Newcastle, Watford, Fulham and Leicester; in any normal scenario from a fortune point of view they'd have dropped at least 5 points in those games. That's before even looking at the start of the season, where they were awful for a couple of months but narrowly won 4-5 games (Look through the Spurs thread whereby their fans were complaining about how poor they were playing).

Of course there's a skill to winning whilst playing badly, but if you're a believer in everything evening itself out by the end of the season then their deck is completely out of "play badly but win" cards.
  12. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:24

crossy1686 Full Member

Agree largely but I think it's a better mindset for the players to chase something as it is to run away from something. If we continue to push for third and beyond, we should continue to win games, if we start looking behind us instead of in front we're more likely to become complacent.
  13. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:29

shamans Hoser

I agree with you that it's not gonna happen but if we did infact win every single game from here on out I wouldnt put it past us!
  14. Feb 11, 2019 at 13:49

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I'd agree to some extent, however there is a difference between scoring late and not deserving a result. I could just as easily claim that in a normal scenario we should have scored earlier in some of those games you mentioned. We can also mention offside goals other teams have gotten, as well as results other teams have gotten without playing particularly well. I'll agree that we have somehow managed to win a lot of games with fine margins, but I think this luck narrative is quite exaggerated. We have been unlucky as well this season with injuries, the winter schedule, and also a few games such as the Liverpool game where we should have had a penalty. And if you want to argue for how we were lucky to beat Leicester I could also argue that you were lucky to beat us.

From my point of view we've been the third best team in the league this year and currently sit third.
  15. Feb 11, 2019 at 14:28

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Would be very upset if complacency sets in after all the hard work we've done to get from where we were to where we currently are and I think the players know how far we have come and I think will stop complacency.
    Think it is just best to take every game one at a time and not be concerned about the teams above or below us we should just concentrate on our own games.
  16. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:36

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Agreed, all we can do is give ourselves the chance, nothing we can do about the rest bar head to head games. The first round form took care of that.
  17. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:38

Grande Full Member

Everyone always try to get maximum points. It never ever happens.

The mentality that wins titles is when players mentality is that they can win matches and the spectators mentality is that we are positive about the players.
  18. Feb 11, 2019 at 23:33

finneh Full Member

I'm not just referring to late goals, but general performance level. I think if you'd watched City, Liverpool and Spurs all season you'd probably have City top by maybe 5 points and Spurs third around 5-6 points behind Liverpool. As it is both Spurs and Liverpool have had large slices of luck as otherwise City would be pretty much champions and Spurs would be looking over their shoulders nervously.
  19. Feb 12, 2019 at 01:23

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Possibly, I'm not sure how many points we 'should' be behind City, but I've watched plenty of games from other top 6 teams who won the game by 1 goal that could have ended with point loss and sometimes late. I have no problem with people saying we have played worse than Liverpool and especially City, anyone who watch football would tell you that. But as someone who also watch Arsenal, Chelsea and United I think we are deservedly ahead, and I don't think we have looked less convincing in most of our wins until recently where we have luckily got through a rough patch with maximum points. Early in the season Arsenal always left it late and were chasing the game, Chelsea have had quite a few unconvincing wins in their unbeaten run and United also got a few points under Jose that could have gone the other way, as have Ole against us and Leicester. I was only commenting on the current view that we have been particularly lucky, to me that just sound like recency bias, and doesn't reflect the whole season imo.