What constitutes a good 2018/19 season for United?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Feed Me, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 25, 2018

Feed Me I'm hungry

:lol:
  2. Jun 25, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I highly doubt the football will get more entertaining so I'll go with trophies instead, he has to deliver a league and a good CL run. Mourinho was hired for his ability to win trophies, not play great football, so no excuses if after three season's he still hasn't delivered a league title.
  3. Jun 25, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    He will be gone if no major trophy is won next season.
  4. Jun 25, 2018

Stacks Full Member

title challenge. So none of this "out of the race by November", really push city to the edge.
  5. Jun 25, 2018

Antisocial Has a Sony home cinema

We had a good season this last season (in post-SAF terms) - qualified for the Champions League, sort of challenged for the title (there was no title race of course, but we were the closest to providing one), got some high-profile wins in games whilst fecking-up badly in others, and in the end won zero trophies - that's a good season but nothing more, so a repeat of that this coming season would also be a good season, which is what the question asks.
  6. Jun 25, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I'm not so sure about that, this club only really sacks manager's when they hugely underachieve. If he's still competitive in the league and brings us further in the CL he will likely stay.

But considering his third season record...
  7. Jun 25, 2018

Alfie092 Full Member

1) Challenge for the league and I mean be within 5 or 6 points at most from winning the title if we were not to win it. A bigger deficit than that is hardly a challenge imo.
    2) Better run in the Champions League, so at least quarterfinals as a minimum and not lose to bang average sides like Sevilla in the knockouts, if we lose to a quality side like Real Madrid and put up a fight then fair enough, it's still an improvement.
    3) Better and more exciting football on a consistent basis
    4) Improvement in performance levels from players that have been questioned, such as Pogba and Sanchez. These 2 players are key in us doing well, from our current outfield players, they are our only players who you would probably call world-class or close to world-class.
  8. Jun 25, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    I think we are edging closer to La Liga/Chelsea level of patience with managers. Obviously not as harsh but getting there.
  9. Jun 25, 2018

finneh Full Member

86+ points in the PL
    Domestic Cup Final
    Champions League QF
  10. Jun 25, 2018

Shaun Oldman Banned

This is make or break for JM.

Can't help feeling he will either morph into Arsene Wenger post 2005, or SAF circa 2006 , by which I mean that he will either move with the times or become yesterday's man.

The cocky, go to war to win Jose seems a long time ago now, and he needs to get back some of that X factor, and fast. With that in mind a wafer thin title defeat or the Champions League, nothing else will do (other than winning the title, of course)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
  11. Jun 25, 2018

Laurentiu amt Banned

Epl or Ucl, otherwise he ll get the sack.

Realistically, I think we will challenge city for the Epl, but I thibk they ll win it again, they re too far ahead.
  12. Jun 25, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

He won't get sacked if he fails to win a big trophy obviously, I'm not a big fan of his but I think that's a ridiculous expectation making it win or be sacked. Of course, we need to massively improve, but our board I think would only sack him if we finish outside of top 4.

As for a successful season.... I would be happy enough if all the improvement was basically playing style related. It was woeful last season, and that needs to improve. Continual improvement throughout the season, not start well for a month or 2 then go to shit the next 8 months. We need clear development in our playing style the longer they are with the manager so we know they are going somewhere. Development in our players. No embarrassments in the CL like getting knocked out to Sevilla. A title challenge would be ideal but I cant see us doing that past what we did last season.

IMO we really overachieved last season relative to our performances, and 2nd place with over 80 points was due to clinical finishing and excellent goalkeeping. So getting the same amount of points and finishing 2nd would hopefully be deserved and based on our performances, instead of grinding out every single result.

So basically, difference on paper would just be a better performance in the CL. The rest is all subjective expectations but we watch football to be entertained and that part is massive for me and really needs to improve.
  13. Jun 25, 2018

f_to_z Full Member

A serious league title challenge, FA Cup winners, quarter final Champions League. Will be a good season.

I hope for a league win obviously but not getting my hopes too high.

Im sure City will not have the same freak season again and will lose more points specially after Klopp handed teams the win recipie.
  14. Jun 25, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Given that we're likely t spend another £150-200m this summer (including Fred and Dalot), we should expect nothing less than a title challenge and to go deep in the CL. Anything less should be seen as a failure on Jose's part. Personally, I see us going mildly backwards - finishing around 3rd behind City and The Scouse scum.
  15. Jun 25, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

What is a United plastic fan?

On topic: Better, even if a little, than last season in terms of positions and cup stages. Much more entertaining football though.
  16. Jun 25, 2018

Rash Decision Full Member

Klopp's team plays that way all the time, and are therefore the best or close to the best at what they do. You're discounting the incredible amount of training they put into it. No other team is going to beat City by adopting that style for a one-off game.
  17. Jun 25, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Few ''Competing for the league'' or ''closing the gap'' comments.

What good is 2nd or 4th? They give the same outcome.

We better win the fecking thing. We have no excuse. Jose has been given 3 windows to fix his team with hundreds of millions in players.
  18. Jun 25, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

The title.

Nothing less.
  19. Jun 25, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

It seems a bit empty to judge this now as people expectations always change in the context of the season. I'm fairly damn sure that we cannot have a 'successful' season next year in most peoples eyes.

There will be initial optimism but as soon as a bad result come the narrative will be to get "Jose out, 3rd season, xxx amount spent etc" and for the first time this will be a majority of fans. I don't think we can seriously challenge for the title and I do think things will get toxic, our fan base doesn't have the patience required to allow Jose to see this job through, he will walk or be sacked for failing to get top 4.
  20. Jun 25, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

So do you sack him if we improve massively, play good football but ultimately fall a couple of points short? That's the problem with the "must win" mentality imo. At least when deciding managerial future. Theres so much that goes into it, injuries, refereeing decisions, luck, etc that if you had a good season but in the end failed to win the title, then its idiotic to sack the manager imo.

On the other hand, I dont think we'll even improve too much (especially not play style) and would rather replace Mourinho anyway, though I just dont think we will even if we have a similar season to this one just past. Think as long as we stay top 4 Mourinho is safe, regardless of how the performances are, unfortunately.
  21. Jun 25, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

Proper title challenge is the only progress, anything other than 2nd at the very least is a step backwards. Decent run the CL.
  22. Jun 25, 2018

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

For me, CL quarter finals and more of a title challenge than last season would do. Don't see us winning the title or the CL. If we get the same result as last season but with football that is a bit more pleasing to the eye I'd be happy. City have been working towards where they are now for many years and are going to upgrade their squad some more while we had the worst transfer policy in the history of the club untill Mourinho arrived. We're improving, but we're not there yet. Those that expect us to win the title are clearly delusional.
  23. Jun 25, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Last year was painful and for a self proclaimed ''special one'' with his winning history, the pressure should be on him to keep his job based on winnings.

I like Jose as a person but as a manager I believe he's lost his spark. I'll back him 100% until he leaves. For our sake I hope he leaves on a high in X amount of years as opposed to a midseason meltdown sacking.
  24. Jun 25, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

A better style of play and a title challenge...Anything less is failure,although I wouldn’t want the manager to leave if we finished 2nd playing a better brand of football...
  25. Jun 25, 2018

redIndianDevil Full Member

At this point of time, all I want to see is a good attacking team, that can pass quickly and look like an actual team like the other top European and English teams.
  26. Jun 25, 2018

The White Pele Full Member

85+ points in the league.
    Champions League quarter finals.
    Silverware.
    More progressive style of play.
  27. Jun 25, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Urgh. I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.
  28. Jun 25, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Personally hoping the new backroom staff will improve the style of play with a new fluent attack to bring the excitement back. I think we need to win or at least take the title to the wire for it to be a good season. The Champions League is a lottery so last 8 is an improvement. I can't see any better than that.
    The board will want a title win I think or Mourinho will leave/sacked /by mutual consent
  29. Jun 26, 2018

tentan New Member

Winning the league. Nothing else.
  30. Jun 26, 2018

shamans Hoser

Entertaining football and a title run minimum.
  31. Jun 26, 2018

LeftyBlaster Full Member

And yet the past season has proven that the two tend to go hand in hand.... so.
  32. Jun 26, 2018

99withaflake Full Member

I'd say:
    • Genuine Title Challenge
    • Champions League QF
    • Slightly more entertaining football
    If he struggles with the above, a domestic cup would soften the blow.
  33. Jun 26, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

First of all: less Mourinho ball, more entertainment. Anything else is close to irrelevant if watching us is a chore like it was for much of last season.
  34. Jun 26, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

I get what you are saying but personally I think you are taking it to the other extreme. ;)
    Winning trophies is one thing but having to sit there week in week out, pulling your hair out due to frustration or dying of boredom hoping for someone to take one of the chances presented in a game isn't the answer either. A healthy balance is what is needed and being entertained is what football is all about.
  35. Jun 26, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

4th place and entertaining football all day long. If you aren't winning the league does it really matter if you end up 2nd, third or fourth. Football should be there to entertain, not to irritate, frustrate and stuff up your weekend. If Utd were a club struggling for funds it would be one thing but that isn't the case we can go toe to toe with anyone in the transfer market.
  36. Jun 26, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    This particularly the second part
  37. Jun 27, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

But we were talking about Points dropped, not won..
  38. Jun 27, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Trouble with this talk is what happens if Man. City come out lights out again and drop only 5-6 points up to New Year again?

I don't think that will happen but their level is still very very good and one much of Premier League can't or won't handle so they're going to be winning plenty of games this season aswell.

Difficult to say with Man. United in the league. You need to be doing much better in CL imo though, minimum of quarter finals.

Edit: To challenge for the league Man. United need to show more ambition in away games. Think there were 8 away games you guys failed to even score a goal in last season.

No good playing for a 0-0 at Anfield if you then lose at Huddersfield the following week.
  39. Jun 27, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

If they do that then we NEED to that.

We NEED to play better than anyone else and if that’s the standard then we need to better it.

Settling for second cause City have blown people away isn’t good enough, we should do it too otherwise what’s the point?
  40. Jun 27, 2018

Stacks Full Member

Bit unfair. There is never a guarantee of a title. a title challenge is more than acceptable, even if its unpretty.