What constitutes a good 2018/19 season for United?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Feed Me, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 27, 2018

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Needs to win the title or win the Champions League or I'd get rid.

Giving Fellaini a new contract is a sign the quality of football is never going to be good under him so he has to start winning the big trophies now.
  2. Jun 27, 2018

Whatsername Full Member

Winning the league, but I can't see the new season being much different to the last if the news about Fellini is right.
  3. Jun 27, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Winning the PL. Finishing 2nd won't cut it for me. The chances of winning or seriously competing for the CL are very low so won't take that into consideration
  4. Jun 27, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I haven't checked fixture list, do you go to Anfield and Stamford Bridge before xmas? That will be a problem with Mourinho setting up for his annual 0-0s there so at least 4 points dropped already.
  5. Jun 27, 2018

bcubed Full Member

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
    Mourinho gone.
  6. Jun 27, 2018

eldoherz New Member

An actual title race and UCL quarter finals minimum.
  7. Jun 27, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

If (well, when) he does that the fans will turn fully against him, especially if City already have a lead.
  8. Jun 27, 2018

Leftback99 Full Member

Realistically we are not going to challenge City for the league, their squad and quality of play is comfortably ahead of ours and the rest of the league. 2nd again but improving the quality of our attacking play and scoring more goals would be a good season.
  9. Jun 27, 2018

MrBest Full Member

I think champions league football is a must. The prem is harder than ever with 6 teams capable of top 4. Second to this is playing entertaining football. I cannot stand the thought of watching paint dry for another year. I mean come on, it has been 5 years now and my eyes are bleeding. Third, challenge for the title. People say city will walk it but again, the prem is so hard to retain. Chelsea walked the league the year before and came up short. Just being in that top 2 mix again and be a real challenger would be great. I think we are also due a run in the champions league. Semis would do me nicely although defeat would be hard to taste. Goimg unbeaten at old Trafford and doing a double it over city and Liverpool, the icing on the cake.

The absolute key for me is top 4 and exciting football.i want to be entertained again! I want to see us score more than 1 or 2 in a game, scoring 80 plus in a year again. I could not care less how many we concede just as long as we score more
  10. Jun 28, 2018

reddaz71 Full Member

The fact that we are re-signing Ronaldo in itself gives us alot more confidence that we can close the gap on City, definitely a close run title challenge and decent run in the CL to be expected.
  11. Jun 28, 2018

shabadu84 Mint? Berry?

Results: Title challenge all season, CL at least the QF barring terrible draw luck, a cup win
    Style: has to be improved and more consistent, happy to see what we saw in the first half of last season once more. more goals
  12. Jul 3, 2018

Kevin_ New Member

Winning the league, enough time I’ve been patient and one of if not his biggest fan.
  13. Jul 3, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

League title.
  14. Jul 4, 2018

Hamadovich86 Full Member

Winning the fecking league. I cant see how anyone would accept anything less than this, its Mourinho's 3rd season, its HIS team now weather he bought the starting XI or inhered them. If Mourinho does not play entertaining football and does not give us results i.e winning titles then what good is he? A run in the CL would be great and a start to rebuild our reputation in europe but the league must be prioritized.
  15. Jul 4, 2018

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate Full Member

Mourinho himself has said that, if City repeat their previous campaign, we will not be able to keep up with them. He also said that our goal for next season is to gain the much-desired consistency in our performances which will allow us to win games even when we're not playing that well (see Huddersfield, Newcastle away and Burnley at home) and improve our points tally. Therefore, if the title is going to be decided at around 90 points (+/- a few), he set a proper title challenge as the bar for him and his team. IMO, he's correct. As for those who will cry "no, i want the title and nothing less", they should ask our resident Real Madrid fans how it feels to finish the league with 96 & 92 points and 102 & 102 goals (11 more than Barca) respectively and still finish second twice. Some call it the Pep effect.

We didn't score in 6 away games last season, two of them are at WHU and Brighton in May when everyone's mind was on the FA Cup final and most of our players would not risk anything with top-four already secured and the WC coming up. In any case, we had the second best away record (alongside Spurs) when City managed to blow the whole league away. Funnily enough, it's worse than our 16/17 record by one point which showcases the need for improvement. But it's not a matter of ambition (attacking football) so much as it is a matter of the consistency Mourinho talked about: Four of our away defeats came at Newcastle, WHU, Huddersfield and Brighton. Turn three of those into wins (even boring 1-0 ones) and we match the best away records of our 2006-13 seasons. If City make it up to 50 points again, then well, hats off to them and Pep.

European football is a different question. The knock-out phase of the CL is where the discussion about showing more ambition and adjusting our ultra-reactive gameplan can have more meaning and generate good arguments. It's an important discussion too since the club has spent too much time not coming close to compete with Europe's elite sides. But the league is a different proposition. If we attain the cynicism and build the character of all good Mourinho sides, we'll eventually get there. Ambition is not always associated with constantly throwing 8 men in the box. Then you'll ask me what about flair and fluidity? I'll tell you that, with Mourinho at the helm, screaming without stop for these things (even when we win games) is simply moaning for moaning's sake. It is what it is. I just hope it will lead us to better things than in the last 5 seasons.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  16. Jul 4, 2018

iluvurmummy Full Member

Supports:
    The return of Comeback Kings
    If the football improves; I’d accept a competitive enough challenge for the title even if we ultimately fall short, a CL quarter-final, and either of the other two domestic titles.

If it’s the same shitshow, we need a major title or Jose needs to do one. Simples. Actually, even if we do happen to win one, he can still do one.
  17. Jul 4, 2018

Ikon Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

^^This^^
    But even I have to admit that I am losing faith.
    We all know where the weakest areas in this team are, and where they have been for a number of years, but until these areas are properly addressed...:(
  18. Jul 4, 2018

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

I can see the nightmare scenario of Liverpool being the only challengers to Man City, whilst we fight with the other three for top four. The likes of Fellaini being signed for the other top sides is zero, & says all about our ambitions.
  19. Jul 4, 2018

RedRoseTyke New Member

1. Top 4 finish (believe next season will be highly competitive, with 7 serious contenders for top 4 places)
    2. QF of ECL or above
    3. a domestic cup
  20. Jul 4, 2018

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

So you'd be happy regressing/stagnating? If we win league cup, go out in quarters and finish 4th, he definitely deserves the sack.

For a 4th place to be ok, we better be in the CL final..
  21. Jul 4, 2018

Bastian Full Member

If we spend enough I'd say a serious title challenge and SF in the CL. If we go without at least one top class full back and still lack balance on the right wing at best I'd expect 2nd 15-20 points from 1st and CL QF.
  22. Jul 4, 2018

Havak Pokemon master

Have to finish considerably closer to the eventual winners or win it ourselves [the Premier League]. Cannot finish worse than 2nd or it is instantly worse than last season even if we got the FA Cup or League Cup. We also have to be pushing for the quarters or semis of the Champion's League, if not further. That was the main damp squib of last season, going out to a vastly inferior opposing team. Even if we faced a stronger team in the last 16 this time, I'd say not getting further would be a poor showing.
  23. Jul 6, 2018

Tom Foster New Member

Simple, we have to win a cup, because there’s no chance of us finishing ahead of City. We’ve put very little in place to challenge them, but we are capable of lifting one of the cups (apart from Champions League).
  24. Jul 6, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Win the league. If winning the league is not our goal at the start of every season what’s the point?

Maybe we won’t do it and we’ll have to revise our hopes later in the season. Now though? Win the league.
  25. Jul 6, 2018

Oo0AahCantona Full Member

The minimum is second, good champions league run and a "pieces coming together" narrative. You cant compare yourself to where you want to be, you can only compare yourself to where you were yesterday.

If we come second/third whatever and we still look miles off the pace of the elite sides then its not good enough, there has to be a vast improvement.
  26. Jul 6, 2018

broccoli Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    FCPorto
    Doing better than city and pool.
  27. Jul 6, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

Winning the league/CL is a great season.

A good season is 2009/2010 as comparison. (Minus the cup exit).

An actual challenge for the league as opposed to being best of the rest.

No stupid dropping points to teams in the bottom half.

Dont lose to our rivals and Id love to thrash Liverpool/City away.
  28. Jul 6, 2018

Redlips Full Member

Title challenge, a good run in the CL and better football. If our football is dour again and we get knocked out in the same wimpy manner then he can feck off. I also want him to act like he's actually one of us. Less moaning and none of this United's heritage is getting KO'd talk.
  29. Jul 9, 2018

Pscholes18 Full Member

I'll take this.
  30. Jul 9, 2018

Jonno Full Member

I'd like to see this England formation at United next season. This as an example along with any further signings of course (probably a world class CB as a priority)

DDG

Smalling Bailly Rojo

Valencia Fred Pogba Lingard Young

Lukaku Sanchez​
  31. Jul 9, 2018

slir32 Full Member

I want the PL but ill take a close second and quarters in the CL.
  32. Jul 9, 2018

Lam New Member

One cup
    1/2 in PL (within 3 points of the winner if 2nd)
    SF in CL
    1 player with 25+ goals
    Attack attack attack
  33. Jul 9, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

A good season...

1) Win CL with record goals scored
    2) Win Premier league with a 100% win record, record goals and no goals conceded and including 10-0 wins twice against City, Liverpool and Chelsea
    3) Win FA Cup
    4) Win League Cup
    5) Arrange game against winners of world cup and beat them
    6) Win all friendly cups
    7) Sign 5 world class youth talents
    8) Increase stadium size to over 100k
    9) Solve world poverty
    10) Arrange commercial deals worth £100bn

That's it, anything else is not good.....! We are United! Nothing else is acceptable!
  34. Jul 9, 2018

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

As things stand, I think finishing 2nd and a few cup runs is our limit. We haven't progressed squadwise from last season thus far, which is very disappointing.

Going to be a real kick to the stomach if our defence is Young, Valencia, Smalling & Jones against Leicester in the opening game. And that is looking very likely as things stand.
  35. Jul 9, 2018

groovyalbert Full Member

Consistency in playing a nice brand of football, finishing top 2, winning a domestic trophy and getting further in the Champions League.

It will take something truly special to knock City of top spot. Especially as they'll almost certainly match our spending this summer at the very least. Liverpool will be a real threat with the new additions in midfield they have, and it's hard to see Chelsea or Arsenal doing worse than they did last season. Watching the World Cup has reminded me how fun football can be. I've really not felt that way with Utd in a while, would love for that to change.
  36. Jul 24, 2018

f_to_z Full Member

I totally agree with what you are saying. It takes hard training to perfect this strategy, but if teams train a similar approach and play that strategy against City they will surely give them a difficult game. Therefore they might get a one-off result since they have nothing to lose either way.