What did the Mourinho era fix?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Skills, May 16, 2019.

1. May 16, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

Mourinho era fixed our money surplus problem. Take over with a team finished 5th, spend 400m, and then left the squad with 6th place in the league.
  2. May 16, 2019

Adarsh CU New Member

I hope he fixed Woodward, the fix we most desperately need.
  3. May 16, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

Oh I'm sure loads of supporters (like TUS) and probably loads of people at the club would like to see Zaha return but that's beside the point. Unless Zaha makes a complete U-turn regarding his stance towards the club there's no way he's coming.
  4. May 16, 2019

Skills Snitch

He didn't really solve the Rooney issue, he replaced it with the Alexis Sanchez issue.

Signed a player on even more money on an even longer contract. We're in the same situation now.
  5. May 16, 2019

SiRed Full Member

I wouldnt call Nani, Evans and Rafael deadwood, infact we could have really done with those players since.
  6. May 16, 2019

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Trophylessness and low league finishes, very briefly
  7. May 16, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

Sanchez atleast isn't an automatic starter like Rooney was. Forgotten the "Muh Captun alwaysh playsh" glory days?

Atleast now even if all our players are shite, we get to try out different types of shite rather than letting the same one stick.
  8. May 16, 2019

Tiber Full Member

It reduced my distate for LVG
  9. May 16, 2019

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

He showed painful honesty, perhaps too painfull for some and for that one season we had a perfect leadership on the pitch in Zlatan.

That being said at some point he had to go as being not the ruthless Jose we all knew. His fixes were simply short term, so no surprise there.
  10. May 16, 2019

okhuenchik New Member

2,5 seasons is not an era.
  11. May 16, 2019

Saf94 Full Member

It didn’t fix anything because he was building towards a team which we don’t want. He was laying the foundations and structure for a team that would defend deep, a conservative first team that could grind out wins and be solid. In the end no one wanted this style, no one at the club including the board, the players or the fans wanted to play like that. It’s not in our blood to accept this style (as opposed to Chelsea who found their success like this).

So if we want to start playing progressive football we have to start again because everything Mourinho built was for a different philosophy. That’s why for the 3rd time since Fergie it feels like we need to start from scratch. 3 managers (ignoring Moyes) and 3 philosophies, each entirely different
  12. May 16, 2019

Maticmaker Full Member

Jose's reign, hopefully taught us to be careful what you wish for!

Nobody (surely) could have been in any doubt what would happen when Mourinho arrived? Jose would take centre stage, it was always about him; he would set about identifying weaknesses, spend millions of pounds replacing those he couldn't improve. In terms of strategy it would always be first 'don't lose' then try to win; the football would be about grinding out results rather than entertaining and he would not stand for any interference.

In the first season he got something of an unexpected 'bounce', two pieces of silverware, which surprised even him, maybe it caught him off guard and made him question his first assumptions. As they say, "he who hesitates is lost" and that's what happened to Jose, he didn't go full throttle, allowed his decision to bring in a top class CB and right winger to get deflected by Ed Woodward's insistence on cheaper alternatives. Jose's own purchases didn't bring the results he expected, except perhaps for one season only, via Matic? When Ed finally bought a clothes horse ( or Sanchez) to sell shirts rather than improve the team and pay him a salary that upset everyone, even the ones earning top dollar, then Jose lost it and the dressing room as well and he stage his own execution, made easy with a pay day of reputed £15-20M.

Hopefully we will learn something from all this, but what is not clear!
  13. May 16, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

Jeez I am agreeing with you again. Have I hacked your account or did you hacked mine?
  14. May 16, 2019

Sanchez7 New Member

£300m less in the bank and nothing much to show for. All the players he signed will be sold at a loss ex Pogba who will probably make a profit on.

Pretty much like LVG. You could argue Moyes as incompetent as he was, did the least amount of damage to the club.
  15. May 16, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

:D
  16. May 16, 2019

Skills Snitch

Apologies. Reign of terror is more appropriate
  17. May 16, 2019

dogwithabone Full Member

Best summary yet.
  18. May 16, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Fixed, nothing

Mourinho was, and will always be, our worst ever managerial appointment in my eyes.
  19. May 16, 2019

Rolaholic Full Member

:lol:
  20. May 16, 2019

SirAF Ageist

That’s crazy.
  21. May 16, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Well when you look at the midfield we have to put out (after Pogba and with Herrera gone), the centerbacks, the full backs, and the right winger... its bottom half of the league level. For each and every one of them, you could probably find someone in about 10-11 clubs who is better. Right back and right wing probably closer to 3/4 of the league, left back probably just about 8 who are as good or better. For Man United to have half of our starting 11 be firmly mid table, that's pretty embarassing. Not even upper mid table level for them.
  22. May 16, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

It's true. And I'm happy to see Guardiola has now overtaken him as the most decorated active manager in the world. I hope he fails in his next club too. The fraud.
  23. May 16, 2019

redshaw Full Member

6th 2 6th
  24. May 16, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

From pre to post Mourinho:
    • Lindelof I think is more suited to a top team than any CB we had before
    • Dalot has potential at RB, but is young and we need a starter ahead of him anyway
    • We have a few young goalkeepers who could be good enough to take over from De Gea one day (Henderson)
    • Mourinho included Greenwood last summer at 16 in the preseason squad, clearly rated him. Same with Chong and Gomes, but again, it's the sort of thing any manager would do and more credit goes to youth system.
    • Rashford undoubtedly improved as a player quite a bit. Natural development, sure, but Mourinho gets some credit too.
    • Midfield nothing, left back nothing, starting right back nothing, nothing on the wings or up top in terms of ready for the next manager, just some potential
    Not all dreadful, but it's a pretty small list of things we can look at post Mourinho of being good for us in the next few years. Half of it is just stuff that the youth system gets credit for.
  25. May 16, 2019

nokillingmoths Full Member

De geas dip in form is not due to jose. Laughable to suggest it was.

Valencia is old and completely past it. Jose is noy in control of players ages. Shaw has clearly improved.

Herrera left the club under ole. That one is definitely not joses fault. If it is his fault (its not) that herrera didn't sign a contract its oles fault young, jones and smalling all got renewals, which is a far bigger crime. Herrera went for the money and why not?

As for the attack, the majority of the season was played under ole, so not sure thats his fault either.

Don't get me wrong i'm glad hes gone but threads like these are really tedious and making shit up just makes it lose what little credibility it started with.

The blind one is weird. Not many were sad to see him go but he probably would have done well under ole. Rojo should have been out the door over him.
  26. May 16, 2019

Untd55 New Member

How is someone who has won 2 Champions Leagues and numerous league titles a fraud? Some people...
  27. May 16, 2019

WensleyMU New Member

2 x CL Football
    2 x Trophies
    Highest League finish since 2013

You could say that to some extent, for a time he made us relevant again.

You could also add Scott McTominay as well, a player who actually gets what it means to represent United.
  28. May 16, 2019

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Pretty much this.
  29. May 16, 2019

DenResched New Member

JM fixed expectation to this club, so next manager able to rebuild this club with realistic expectation. He's playing bad-cop for good-cop to take over

pun intended
  30. May 16, 2019

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  31. May 16, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

I'm being serious.

Never have we purposely moved so far away from everything the club stands for then with him. It was a desperate appointment from a desperate Woodward but the Mourinho we got wasn't the original, it was the post Real battered version and he has hugely damaged our image as a football club in my mind. Every problem was public, every player was scrutinised, every problem wasn't his fault and it's his MO, that if you say something enough times people believe you. He's still doing it even now he's left the club and it won't stop, in his eyes he didn't fail here the club failed him and he'll have the whole world know it until he gets his next job.
  32. May 16, 2019

SirAF Ageist

I would have to strongly disagree, let’s just end it there.
  33. May 16, 2019

The Nani Full Member

Nothing. In fact we are worse for him being here in nearly every aspect.

But he was right.
  34. May 16, 2019

caid Full Member

He won some trophies? Ibrahimovich was fun for a while
  35. May 16, 2019

berbasloth4 Full Member

if mourinho can make it work and win there is something fundamentially wrong. love him or hate him every where he goes he wins. something we dont know about is killing the team - he hints at pogba being the virus i believe it.

there was a reason fergie didnt allow riaola at the club maybe this is why
  36. May 16, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

He fixed nothing.

Which is why the recent revisionism that he would have done a good job if backed is nonsensical.

He had a lot of money to spend and basically wasted it all.

Came into a 5th placed club and only improved our league standing in 1 season out of 3. He was a complete failure.
  37. May 16, 2019

buchansleftleg Full Member

He added 2 years onto the time it will take to rebuild the club.

He put another expensive hole in the accounts.

He destroyed morale at the club and damaged our reputation

He failed to grow into a role and resorted to narcissistic rants

I don't think any of that counts as a "fix"
  38. May 17, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

:lol: This is brilliant. Jose didn't expose anything except how far he has fallen.
  39. May 17, 2019

Luke1995 Full Member

It fixed the terrible football that Van Gaal made us play. It wasn't a big improvement, but since Van Gaal left, at least our players abandoned that ridiculous idea of keeping possession for the sake of it.
  40. May 17, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

Not much in all honesty. He left us bogged down with Lukaku and Sanchez, neither of whom should be here.

He spent a lot on midfield and the only one actually good enough for us is Pogba. I guess he brought McT into the team so he deserves some credit for that.