What do we still need? Post Summer 2017 edition

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Devil may care, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Nov 21, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

It will end when we have all the required balance depth and quality in our squad.
  2. Nov 21, 2017

GM K Full Member

I agree. But we can do with well priced marque signings.

The reality is that competition at the elite level now requires you to get nothing short of the very best ball players on the planet and the very best of them, cost a lot of money these days. While we should have a sharp eye for incredible talents that are cheap, we need a few excellent marquee signings that can take us up a level. It is true that we have spent a lot recently but unfortunately, we have not spent well. But the good thing is, Jose seems to be buying well. If he sustains the quality of purchases he is making, we'll be ready in another two transfer windows.
  3. Nov 21, 2017

poacher Banned

I don't think we need marquee signings at all. For me, marquee signings are the really expensive glamour players that sell shirts and are good for marketing and getting fans excited. What we need are good players regardless of reputation. Look at Man City they buy players because of their skills and whether they fulfil a need in the team rather than buying marquee players to sell shirts and sponsorships. For me, the players we should be targeting are players like Tah, Manolas, Laporte, Fekir, Jorginho, Savic, Fabinho, Leon Bailey, Ghoulam. Not a single one of those players are marquee players but they are good functional players that will improve the team.
  4. Nov 21, 2017

TheOrgazoid Banned

By the time of your replies, I would infer that you don't see much, if anything, wrong with our first team squad - particularly our attack.

Strange.
  5. Nov 21, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Inter, Roma, Sevilla want Pastore this winter.

@Pastore27 would enlighten your game
  6. Nov 21, 2017

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Yeah. Well, we are second in the league and not doing too badly. I think that's a decent squad, a bit tricky to fit together maybe, but one or two key additions could really make it purr. A lot of the heavy lifting has been done, with Pogba, Lukaku, etc. I would be thrilled, to be honest, with one more really telling signing. Very important to get players playing, I think. Martial, Lukaku, all have to grow within the squad, build confidence, personality, stage presence. I know city have been very impressive so far; to win the title we need to beat them twice, and they have to lose a couple of games. Possible! A lot will be told in three weeks! And - its just a hunch - I suspect we have either the boardroom appetite or serious upward pressure from Jose for a major tranche of new players such as the poster suggested. Its more about making the most of what you already have.
  7. Nov 21, 2017

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Good point, poster.
  8. Nov 21, 2017

TheOrgazoid Banned

I agree with you on the following points:
    • We are not doing too badly
      • We are currently not near the levels being shown by City but I think that this is as good as City will get; hopefully we improvements ahead
    • We have a decent squad even if it is one that is currently tricky to fit togther
      • A lot of good players that should form the basis of a good squad
    • A lot of heavy lifting has been done
      • The spine: de Gea, Bailey, Smalling, Pogba, Matic and Lukaku
    • It is possible to catch City
      • Yeah (if they capitulate)
    I'm not with you on the following:
    • You feel the need to explicitly mention Lukaku and Martial as being ones having to improve...
      • What is is that Mata and Mhiki actually do that absolves them of mention?
    • The fact that you need to mention that it is possible for us to catch City, implying that I did not think it is possible
      • I know it's possble; I just think it's not feasible - they already better football than us so it's more likely that we, not them, will lose more game

Finally, regarding the part about transfers...

I firmly believe that the fans, players and manager want to win the league (all for different reasons).

The board? They couldn't give two shits that we anything win as long as the club makes them money.
  9. Nov 21, 2017

GM K Full Member

Well, I guess the problem is we have different ideas about who a marquee player is. I don't think such players merely sell shirts. I think they are the biggest players in the game who guarantee world class performances game after game. It's no coincidence that our best players at the moment are our marquee signings.

I totally agree with you that no player should be bought merely to sell shirts but it just so happens that the players that sell a lot of shirts, are often the best.

Your point about buying players to solve specific problems is very much on point. I'll just rather we are open to buying the best to solve our problems - whether the best is marquee or not.
  10. Nov 21, 2017

Roeindo New Member

Ryan bertrand
    Alex grimaldo
    Richarlison
    Pascal grab
  11. Nov 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

No team should stop spending and getting more and better players each summer. The moment we think we have a team that needs no more transfers because we won big things with them is the moment we'll fall again.
  12. Nov 21, 2017

Mcking Full Member

13. Nov 21, 2017

Mcking Full Member

@Ecstatic, your Pastore propaganda is beyond amazing.
  14. Nov 21, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    :angel:
  15. Nov 21, 2017

reddaz71 New Member

Rose,Griezmann,Dybala,Naingollan,Fabinho. thats a helluva wishlist next 2 windows!!
  16. Nov 21, 2017

Mcking Full Member

:D
  17. Nov 21, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Somebody Jose rejected while he was at Chelsea it appears.
  18. Nov 21, 2017

bucky Full Member

Out: Carrick (retirement), Fellaini (if the reports are to be believed), Darmian, Ibrahimovic (retirement or a weaker league like the MLS), Shaw, possibly one of Mata or Mkhitaryan

In: Jorge, Meunier, Lemar, Pulisic, Saul

If de Gea were to leave, then Alisson, Oblak or Sergio Rico. Don't think it'll happen though.
  19. Nov 21, 2017

RedDevilRoshi New Member

Tierney
    Meunier
    Dybala
    Malcolm
    Nainggolan
    Goretzka

Obviously will need to shift a fair few players out first to make room
  20. Nov 22, 2017

poacher Banned

There is some real quality players on your list, however, Naingolan is too old and wouldn't be cheap. There have been figures of 60m banded about which is too much for a player that's approaching 30. In three years time, we would have to replace our midfield as Matic and Naingolan grow old together. I think Savic or Jorginho would be better alternatives from the Italian league. The other problem with your squad is there's easily 310m of incoming transfers on your list, given United normally only spend 150m a season do you think the Glazer's would authorise that level of spending?
  21. Nov 22, 2017

Devil may care Full Member

Yes but not as a DM, for now I think we'll have to use Herrera as Matic's cover, he doesn't play well with him but he plays fine with Pogba.

I don't think Pogba is suited to that #10 role in truth, he's shone for us this season from the box to box role, I think having another box to box to partner with him and Matic would be betetr for us in te big games than playing two DM's with Pogba as a #10.

Fair enough, I've just never been that impressed with him in that regard, he's more a pure DM in my view.
  22. Nov 25, 2017

VanHaal'sRedArmy Full Member

Ins:

Sergej Milinković-Savić: PP, SMS, and Matic would run the midfield a la Vieira, Pires, and Silva. Tall, unselfish and technically brilliant. To me he would be the most important signing (potentially) because of the versatility it would afford us when one of our midfield players needs to be rotated or replaced due to injury.

Saúl Ñíguez: ("But we don't need another central midfielder!") Before you resort to all these protestations, consider our need for creativity in the final third. Mkhitaryan has considerably cooled off from his brilliant start and Jose has resorted to using Mata as our lone creative outlet. Saúl would give us the ability to finish and create chances from the right flank and double as a defensive workhorse and cover for Valencia who can then focus on defending instead of slicing errant crosses.

Kieran Tierney: Reminds me of Luke Shaw before his injury; fearless, feisty, fast with none of the nagging fitness/mental issues. Only question - is he ready to move on from Celtic atm? If not, Mourinho will probably go for someone like Grimaldo who he's more familiar with.

Antoine Griezmann: There is no one on the planet more clinical and lethal playing behind a center-forward. The icing on the cake with the cherry on top.

Outs:

Marouane Fellaini
    Michael Carrick
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Luke Shaw
    Ashley Young
  23. Nov 25, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

We can ship out 5 players at will but i dont think we will have enough cash to replace those 5 in numbers as the prices are way too inflated when big clubs come to buy.
  24. Nov 25, 2017

Mcking Full Member

@VanHaal'sRedArmy, so you are telling us to signing a midfielder of Saul's quality and convert him to a winger? How about signing one of Savic and Saul and spend the other half on an actual winger?
  25. Nov 25, 2017

VanHaal'sRedArmy Full Member

Hmm, depends on how you define a right winger these days. I'm not opposed to signing a winger (on either side) but I'm just pointing out the fact that we generally lack production on the right flank (creativity/finishing). Two box to box midfielders and utilizing Saúl as a RM to provide the final product for Lukaku or Griezmann in a 4-4-1-1 can be just as effective.
  26. Nov 25, 2017

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

We lack a Hazard/Coutinho/Sanchez/De Bruyne/Sane type of player.
  27. Nov 25, 2017

dichinero Banned

With each passing game, it looks like we need another £££m worth of investment. I'm afraid that this will be the case this time next season.

Anyway, we can dream and keep the muppets in us alive
  28. Nov 25, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Needing a midfielder 2 attacking players and a left back. 4 in total would be good 5 would be great if any free transfers are included.

Griezmann
    Attacker
    Midfielder

Rose
    Ozil
  29. Nov 26, 2017

mufc_forever_fan New Member

1. Griezmann (100M Euro)
    2. Ozil (free)
    3. Sergej M Savic (60M Pound)
    4. Thomas Meunier (40M Pound)
    5. Kieran Tierney (20M Pound)
  30. Nov 26, 2017

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

If Tierney really has the right amount of promise that would be an incredible Summer. I'd put a shout out for a disgruntled Sandro though..
  31. Nov 26, 2017

automaticflare Full Member

Crazy folks talking about getting rid of young here

I think we will see

Retire:
    Carrick
    Zlatan

Sold:
    Miki
    Mata
    Shaw

In definite:
    Griezman
    Some right winger(not sure who)
    A left full (Rose over tierney probably because Jose doesn't want another project like Shaw)

In if it works:
    Some worldie game changer like someone else mentioned we are sorely missing that hazard/de bruyne type game changer
  32. Nov 26, 2017

beingshe7don Full Member

I think that game changer needs to be Asensio or Dybala
  33. Nov 26, 2017

mufc_forever_fan New Member

Does Juventus want Darmian? Add some fee to get Sandro back~
  34. Nov 26, 2017

zenith New Member

Ozil on a free to play as a number 10 and griezmann on the right, along with perhaps a right back.

We could consider selling mikhi, Mata, shaw, darmian and lingard to balance the books and the wage structure
  35. Nov 26, 2017

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

I'd go 4-3-3

Lukaku - CF
    Martial/Rashford - LW
    Dybala/Bailey - RW

Pogba Matic Pulisic/Kroos/Veratti

Back four - upgrade full backs who can steam up and down, offer width etc.

Three in the middle means without the ball, Matic isn't on his own.

With the ball Pogba and Pulisic/Kroos/Veratti can push up so now you have two Com's occupying the "10" area, like KDB and Silva for City.

Then ahead of them you have two wingers, inside forwards who can come inside or stay wide. And a centre forward means you have FIVE players against the opposition. Combined with one or both full backs that is SEVEN players attacking. That will overwhelm most teams.

If you get countered you'll still have the two CBs and Matic plus maybe a full back to defend.
  36. Nov 26, 2017

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Tierney
    Pulisic
    Griezmann
    Özil
  37. Nov 28, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member

A 9 is not exactly a priority but this kid Lautaro Martinez from Racing Club Argentina will be a star.
    Has a rocket in both feet, close control, dribbling.
  38. Nov 28, 2017

rampo Full Member

I think we need to strengthen

1. Right back - Need to buy a 1st team player. Valencia can be the back up.
    2. Left back - Unless we are going to give Shaw some minutes to build his game, we need to buy a 1st team player
    3. Right winger - Desperately need this. This needs to be top priority
    4. No. 10 - I think we will sell off Mata in summer. Possibly getting Ozil on free will solve for this problem
  39. Nov 28, 2017

Robbo* New Member

We may need somebody if Ibra retires, but I suppose the plan may be to get Rashford and Martial playing centrally more often - either with or as back-up to Lukaku.
  40. Nov 28, 2017

TheOrgazoid Banned

• LB
    • RB
    • LW
    • RW