What do we still need? Post Summer 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Devil may care, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018

bucky Full Member

The whole thing hinges on a good #10 for me though. If we aren't able to get Fekir or someone like that, then I'd rather stick to a 4-3-3. Dybala or Eriksen would obviously be excellent, but I am not sure how much of chance we've got there. I think it would increase with a new manager. Other than those 3 I'm not sure, if there's a player for that position out there or available that would be worth it to play that system. The main thing for me is that it should get the best out of Alexis. I really wish we would try him as the striker instead of Lukaku at times, but that won't happen as long as Mourinho is with us.

If it's not those 3, I think players like Pulisic (who can also play as the #10), Betrand Traore, Felipe Anderson and Bailey are probably our best bet.

I'd prefer Pavard to pretty much every CB out there, but, as I've said in another thread, I think he's going to Munich. So de Ligt might be our best option. I hope we get at least one of de Ligt, Skriniar, Pavard or Upamecano. Niklas Stark from Berlin might be another to keep an eye on.
  2. Oct 11, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

A manager who uses players in such a way that they play to their strengths, not a team sent out to stifle the opposition and nick a goal.
  3. Oct 11, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Better not play Bolton, there will be war
  4. Oct 11, 2018

Johan07 Full Member

I personally believe that discussing the the particular formation is severely overplayed, especially on forums like that. This post exemplifies it.
    Whichever formation we will use should not be the start of discussion, it should be at the end of it.
    We need - both ideologically and manager-wise - first decide upon on what type of football we want to play.. If we are going to play a high line and high press (which I would prefer longterm) the formation is not that relevant. You can play like that with a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3. Or with any system with a three at the back. Bielsa says hi for example.
    If one looks at Guardiola for example; the man has a defined way of playing which he wont defer from. Doesnt mean that he cant adjust the formation in itself from game to game. Which he does. As does Pochettino (3 at the back or 4 at the back) and even Mourinho doesnt lock himself to one . Whatever exact formation they use for a particular game is just the final adjustment to the gameplan. Each and everyone of them has a basic ideology that they will stick to no matter what though.
    Therefore its backwards to start a discussion like this with how we should line up exactly formation-wise. Its really overrated not to say bordering to irrelevant.
  5. Oct 11, 2018

bucky Full Member

It wasn't the start of the discussion. I want us to play differently than we currently do and happen to think that you should use the formations that get the best out of the squad. Not once did I say it's necessary to play one system to play a certain style of football. What I was talking about was simply how to get the best out of the players we currently have and should be looking to sign. Quite a lot of assumptions and jumping to conclusions on your part.

The North will be ours again.
  6. Oct 11, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

I agree the #10 aspect is tricky, Fornals at Villareal could be an interesting higher risk option, but Eriksen and Fekir are the standouts, I think Eriksen will be entering the last year of his contract but Levy will still be a nightmare to deal with, and Fekir's always got a bit of an injury cloud hanging over him, but I believe he has the talent to be a pivotal player at a big club. To be honest with Sanchez I am starting to feel like we've done up like a Kipper by Arsenal, but I do agree the best chance of getting something out of him is central, ideally as part of a front 2.

If we stick with 4-3-3 I agree those names would be in the mix for RW bar Anderson as I don't see West Ham selling after one season. We should also be monitoring Sancho despite the City clause and I think Cengiz Under and Nicolas Pepe are worth consideration as well.

Skrinniar, de Ligt, Pavard, Koulibaly and even a cut price Alderweireld are all good options IMO, I think there's a decent crop of options out there if we are willing to pay the price, we wont get any for the kind of money we paid for Bailly and Lindelof.
  7. Oct 11, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

Wouldn't go anywhere near Eriksen at the moment. There's talk he's got some kind of potentially long term abdominal issue at the moment.
  8. Oct 11, 2018

Really? I hadn't heard anything about that, that's a real shame as he's gotten better and better on the pitch over the last 3 seasons.
  9. Oct 11, 2018

Mcking Full Member

I would say we need a DM, a CB and an actual coach first.
  10. Oct 11, 2018

Stookie Nurse bell end

IMO we need a world class striker maybe even two, Lukaku just isn’t good enough. A right winger, right back, centre back. I know we’ve a shed load of CB’s but we need a great in there, hopefully to form some sort of partnership with one of the others.
  11. Oct 11, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Trust and Support to our players.
  12. Oct 12, 2018

Invictus Best Poster 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Dunno if he can be a consistent difference-maker for an elite club, but I quite like the way Suso has grown in stature at Milan — could be an option for United considering our right attackers tend to be pretty versatile and more in the secondary creator mold aside from being able to beat them man on occasion — finally starting to fulfill the promise he showed with Spain's youth teams. Good playmaker in recent years (though not always in terms of final end product given the state of Milan's sputtering attack/finishing), and a factor from set pieces as well.

vs. Wales in his second appearance for the national team:

13. Oct 13, 2018

bucky Full Member

I still like to believe that Alexis will come good for us, but he needs to be played closer to goal. Similarly, I remain optimistic that if Fekir were to sign for us, he'd stay relatively injury-free.

Under is a good shout. The sample size with Pepe is a bit too small for my liking currently. He needs to keep this up the whole season. Fornals, I definitely see the talent, as you do, but I don't think I am convinced he's consistent enough.

Another alternative for the formation talk could be something we discussed earlier, basically sidestepping the #10/right winger problem:

De Gea

Bailly/Smalling - Pavard - L. Hernandez

Ruben Neves/Paredes

Dalot - NDombele - Pogba - Shaw

Lukaku - Alexis/Martial​
  14. Oct 13, 2018

I hope your're right about Sanchez, it's just he reminds me of latter day Rooney, still, we have tyet to see him in a more central system so perhaps he can turn it around. Like you I'm a fan of Fekir, ever since him and Lacazette started tearing it up in Ligue One together, but with our injury luck I am a tad wary.

All the RWF options are certainly risks, I agree, with Pepe I'm not even 100% sure what his final position will be, but if we stick with 4-3-3 a risk will be the order of the day I feel.

I like that the 3 at the back system and the outlay on players to play 4-3-3/4-4-2 D/3-1-4-2 is all going to be about the same, it's going to cost us serious money. My only concern over the back 3 is we can barely field a starting CB partnership, even buying Pavard and Lucas Hernandez, we are one injury away from not having the depth to field a back 3 unless we manage to resurrect Bailly and Lindelof as both look shot to me at this point.
  15. Oct 13, 2018

bucky Full Member

Understandable, and there are indications that you could be right about Alexis and Fekir. Generally speaking I'm a little bit more optimistic than you it seems. I don't think Bailly's and Lindelof's United careers are already finished. Especially Bailly I could easily see returning to form under a different manager or if Mourinho actually got his shit together. If we bring in 2 CBs, coupled with Smalling, Bailly, Jones/Lindelof and perhaps one of Fosu-Mensah or Tuanzebe, I'd like to think we'd be fine to play 3 at the back in terms of depth. And even if we had another injury crisis like we had in previous years, we'd always could go back to a back 4.
  16. Oct 14, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

DeGea
    DeLigtDeJongPavard
    Dalot — Fred — Kante — Pogba — Shaw
    Mbappe — Martial

Reserves - Rashford, Tunazabe, Pareira, TFM, Lingard, Valencia, Bailly, Chong, Gomes, Romero

Style - attacking, fast paced
    By adding 5 players only, the whole style and future of the club is assured successful for the next 10 years

Cost
    DeLigt - €80m
    DeJong - €70m
    Pavard - €45m
    Kante - €60m
    Mbappe - €220m

Sell
    Jones - €20m
    Rojo - €20m
    Darmian- €10m
    Lukaku - €75m
    Herrera - €15m
    Matic - €15m
    Lindelof - €20m
    Smalling - €40m
    Young - €5m
    Alexis - €25m

(/championship manager mode)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  17. Oct 15, 2018 at 03:55

I certainly hope you are right about Sanchez, Bailly and Lindelof, and I'd have my fingers crossed if we bought Fekir as he's the missing craft I think we could do with in the final 3rd in many games. Of them all I think Bailly has the best chance under another manager, he has so many of the physical tools if he can regain his confidence and add some maturity to his game. I don't know how Axel is doing at Aston Villa this season but I'd love to see him intergrated properly next season in our squad, of that crop I felt he had the most potential.