What does Young need to do to convince people he's good enough?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Dante, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 2, 2017

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    For the next couple of seasons at least.
  2. Dec 2, 2017

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

He can obviously be upgraded upon.

But I’ve always liked him. Turns out he was a very good signing by Ferguson

Outstanding squad player. And at this moment, deservedly first team
  3. Dec 2, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

He is 32 and quite injury prone, we need a new LWB.

Him and Valencia will be just fine rotating the RWB for two more seasons though, there are slim pickings out there for RB\RWB.
  4. Dec 2, 2017

Trophy Room Full Member

If he played for any other team we would be calling him the best left back in the world.
  5. Dec 2, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Play at this level for an extended amount of time...?
  6. Dec 2, 2017

arthurka Full Member

He is in the form of the best backs in the league... Great stuff from him lately..
  7. Dec 2, 2017

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

Yep.

If he kept this up for the remainder of the season, the calls for a new LB, or comments about LB being a vital position to upgrade upon, would be almost non-existent.
  8. Dec 2, 2017

Womp idiot

People know Young is a very good player. Issue is his injury history and his age. We need a replacement just because he can't be relied upon for those reasons. He can compete for the spot for the new signing and/or play as a backup.
  9. Dec 2, 2017

Dave89 Full Member

Put him in a sky blue shirt and he'd be more popular on here for sure.
  10. Dec 2, 2017

Backrow Singer Full Member

Yeah, he's doing that job on his own at the minute and it's a big ask for him. Bet he's covered some miles this week, great engine on him.

Needs some cover as everyone does, if it's not Shaw then it's a position we need to look at. He's a great option for us but you always want and need more than one when you're in multiple competitions.
  11. Dec 2, 2017

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

Valencia's been at a good level for a good while now and he's still slated constantly as not good enough on here, so the answer to your Young question is; theres very little realistically he can do to win some over.
  12. Dec 2, 2017

el3mel Full Member

He doesn't.

He only needs to convince the manager.
  13. Dec 2, 2017

Traub Full Member

Let's see how he fairs next week against the best team in the league and where our discipline has to be spot on.
  14. Dec 3, 2017

Robertd0803 Full Member

Nothing. Because he has been around so long Id be willing to bet there isnt anything that he can do that will change the general opinion of him in a lot of peoples minds.
  15. Dec 3, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Nothing wrong with him even though I been critical of his final ball over the past few years. But he’s miles better than Shaw, Darmian or Blind.

The only issue is his age. Him and Valencia will need to be replaced soon. Get rid of two from the above three and get in two fullbacks.
  16. Dec 3, 2017

Wumminator The Special One!

Be signed for more money from a foreign team.
  17. Dec 3, 2017

Dobbs Banned

It's not like that opinion is unfounded. As a winger he simply wasn't good enough for a long period of time. He was then out of the picture for a long time.

Credit to him for making a comeback, he's got a great attitude. But a few weeks of good form doesn't eradicate years of non involvement and average performances.

I've still got my doubts when he's on the ball in defensive positions. Gives it away a lot which will cost us when playing teams at a higher standard.

If he carries on like this for the rest of the season and grows further into the role I'm sure plenty will have a rethink. Though I believe lots already gave.
  18. Dec 3, 2017

ManUArfa Full Member

He needs to change his surname to Younginho.

Have always been a massive Smasher fan. Over the years I've repeatedly been telling my now 13 year old son to watch his attitude and team player mentality and bring it in to his own game. I love how he keeps it simple, even how he takes players on with the drop of a shoulder to make space for a shot or cross. Yes Pogba, DDG and Zlatan are world class as individuals but Young is my favourite United player.
  19. Dec 3, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

I don't think people on internet gets convinced on anything once they make up their time. They simply wait for him to have a bad game to post usual stuff.

He made huge difference this season with his attacking game.
  20. Dec 3, 2017

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

He's bloody excellent
  21. Dec 3, 2017

Mr Smith Full Member

Nothing, he's got me convinced. We should stick with him until he starts to show signs he's backsliding. Right now, he's a fantastic servant for the club and Mourinho trusts him, so we should keep him around.
  22. Dec 3, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

He's a good squad player to have. But all squad players have a good run of form where they look above their usual level. So we still need a first choice lb for me.
  23. Dec 3, 2017

Mr Smith Full Member

This post is weird, because it behaves like this is the first time he's shown signs of life. People seem to have completely forgotten his resurgence under Van Gaal in 2014/15. He's been playing well for us for quite some time, he's just had a lot of injury problems and been kept out by better players.
  24. Dec 3, 2017

Hawks2008 Full Member

He's been doing fine, but IMO we need to sign a proper LB in the summer.
  25. Dec 3, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Calm down. If he played for Madrid we'd be saying 'where is marcelo'? Young is doing well but he'll anywhere be remotely close to that level.
  26. Dec 3, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Like every player, whenever an individual has a bad spell, especially if it coincides with a drought of success for the club, the internet experts will crucify them and it's pretty much impossible to recover from. Young has been a fantastic player at united, but some people don't want to accept, no matter how many generations of teams turn over, that a squad needs players like young, we've always had them and always will.

I dread to think what would have been said about some really solid united players had this type of medium existed earlier. Bottom line is a lot of people don't want to be convinced of anything and will always have scapegoats and opinions that just refuse to allow any sort of balance.

On a side note, should be guarantee the lwb spot for England, if his form continues
  27. Dec 3, 2017

Denis79 Full Member

Yup, Sad isn't it. Don't read much about Spurs lately though, sure it will start up again after they have a good game.
  28. Dec 3, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

He’s in great form at the minute and deserves to be starting but I still think we should ship him off in the summer and sign a new top class LB.

Alaba would be a dream signing.
  29. Dec 3, 2017

Dobbs Banned

Probably because it was three years ago. Going back that far says it all.

He's only made 30 Premier League appearances over the last two seasons, I'm guessing a bunch of those as sub. Whatever the reasons for that I think it's fair enough if some fans don't want to get carried away and believe he's the answer to our left back problems.
  30. Dec 3, 2017

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

Please, we need a proper attacking LB/LWB.
    Doesn't mean I don't appreciate Young.
  31. Dec 3, 2017

settembrini Full Member

He's saved Mourinho's bacon this season. Not sorting out the lb/lwb position in the summer was really risky and we would have had huge problems there again had Young not stepped up.

His age is why we still need to buy someone though.
  32. Dec 3, 2017

finneh Full Member

Absolutely. If Young were 27 we'd all be saying that if he keeps up this form our LB position is sorted for years to come.

However as is the case with Valencia who is now recognised as one of the best right backs in the league, it takes a long and consistent run of form to convince people he isn't just a poor converted winger in a rich vein of form.

If he keeps this up until the end of the season then at least we won't have to panic in the summer. If Levy wants £50m for Rose and Mourinho believes younger players like Grimaldo aren't ready then waiting another year wouldn't be terminal.
  33. Dec 3, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

He's been great recently.
  34. Dec 3, 2017

::sonny:: Full Member

Best player in the squad
  35. Dec 3, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Is anyone suggesting he isn’t good enough? I’ve seen nothing but positive comments.
  36. Dec 3, 2017

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Young needs to do what any hitherto inconsistent player (in the context of his United career) has to do to win folks over: he needs to perform at a consistent level for a season or two. And it's not like a lot of criticism with regards to him is unjustified and people only appreciate big money transfers from foreign leagues - he was pretty much a non-factor for multiple seasons and never truly had sustained stretches of outstanding play that lasted more than a few months here and there, and didn't really cement his position in the starting XI. Unfortunately for him, the latest resurgence is coming at an advanced age - he's going to be 33 years old over the summer, and for every Giggs, Zanetti, Maldini - that play well into their mid to late 30s, you have dozens that fall off a cliff because of the ravages of father time - so the odds are definitely stacked against Young over the coming years. Considering that, not targeting one or even two top (or potentially top) fullbacks in the summer would be gross negligence on United and José's part. Even if you get only a leftback, that's probably good enough for the next season because Young/Valencia can alternate on the right flank - Young in particular gives you great positional flexibility in that regard. What we shouldn't do is get too comfy with a pair of 32+ year olds - that could lead to a situation where we're left scrambling for quality - and United should be cognizant of that given some of the struggles involved in adequately replacing the likes of Evra, Vidić and Ferdinand in defense in 2014.
  37. Dec 3, 2017

Strachans Cigar Full Member

He's good enough and always has been. You don't win PL titles by being shit. Well, ok, there are one or two exceptions to that generalisation but Young ain't one of them.

Seems to have cut the ridiculous diving out too, another plus.

We still need new full backs though due to age; Young & Valencia are coming to the end of their usefulness, should both be leaving the club by 2019 ideally. Wing back is too physically intense a position for older guys.
  38. Dec 3, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

What we need to do is show some love for our "middle class" of players if we want to compete in the highest level again.
    People want to see stars everywhere in the pitch but the most difficult thing for a club board is to find very good players like Young that, even if they aren't permanent starters, they can deliver when you need them.

A bad example is Chelsea: they were trashing the likes of Matic and Willian for years.
    Ok, then you sign new players you think are superior, sell your "middle class"(Matic had a superior status tbf); and you could end in the same place you were before or worse.
  39. Dec 3, 2017

davidmichael Full Member

Consistency, I’m not talking about being an 8 or 9 out of 10 every week but a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 once a week isn’t much to ask for when you look at what they earn.

Denis Irwin is the pure embodiment of consistency and the example I would throw up to anyone during such discussion, he’d have games where he was an 8 or 9 out 10 but he was consistently a 7 or 7.5 all the others and was never a big name superstar player but I’d rank him as arguably our greatest left back ever.
  40. Dec 3, 2017

Ainu Full Member

Why would we ship him off if we sign a top class LB? That would be a ridiculous move, considering he's shown himself to be very patient when out of the team for an extended period. His attitude as a squad player is a manager's dream.