What does Young need to do to convince people he's good enough?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Dante, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

You’re correct however if we offer him a deal, we might be able to get a good fee for him.

Plenty of players get shipped off after having a good season. I just feel like it’s time to move on from him but I admit he’s been one of our better players this season. Especially in recent weeks.
  2. Dec 3, 2017

el3mel Full Member

It's time for Darmian, Shaw or Blind to move on but definitely not him. He has no problems to be a backup and always proves himself when playing so he should be the only one in this position to not leave. The likes of Darmian or Shaw should be the ones to get thrown out of the window.
  3. Dec 3, 2017

Klopp_De_Klown Full Member

Always liked him thought hes done well in most runs of games he got. Maybe one stint with SAF was a little lax. The rest has been good in the main even as a right back for LVG.

Great atitude to keep coming back as he has
  4. Dec 3, 2017

Theonas Full Member Scout

Go back in time and make his name as a full back. People seem to be incapable of accepting that players can change positions and excel at them despite the countless examples over the years. Whatever position you made your name in is according to many the only thing a player can do.
  5. Dec 4, 2017

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    If we do sign a top leftback, I consider it more likely that Young will overtake Valencia at rightback than he is to be sold. I'm not saying he would, but I'd be 50/50 between them going into next season and whoever were to deserve it would end up being first choice there. Even if he doesn't, Yound would still be first choice cover in both fullback roles.
  6. Dec 4, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Agree with this or at least provide cover for both right and left back. It would be nice to have greater backup than Darmian.
  7. Dec 4, 2017

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

He won't be a starting left back for the World Cup because of his perceived lack of defensive discipline given he's a winger in his prime. But I think he's just as sound defensively as any of them.
  8. Dec 4, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

This.
  9. Dec 4, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Recently he's had very little but plaudits (and why not, he's done really well) but in past seasons he has had few friends amongst our fan base.

He reminds me of Carrick to some extent in that he only seems to be getting highly rated now he is deep into the autumn of his career. Particularly outside of United Carrick was underestimated until very late in the day but Young has struggled to convince anyone of his worth as anything other than a total last resort.

It's very sad that now we are happy to rely on him as a first teamer he probably only has at best 18 months before his body will betray him.
  10. Dec 4, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

Invent the formula of youth?
  11. Dec 4, 2017

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Why would we sell one of our best performers in the role we are less stocked in?
  12. Dec 4, 2017

red_devil83 Banned

He needs to be more like his name
  13. Dec 4, 2017

Schneckerl Full Member

Alaba is playing like crap for like what feels forever now.
  14. Dec 4, 2017

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    He's in great form, but it's delusional to now think: okay, the LB problem is now solved.

It won't be until we invest in it. We've somewhat stumbled on the Young solution, after the failures of Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Rojo... but all it takes is bad form or injury and we're back to where we started.
  15. Dec 4, 2017

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

He's had a few decent games on the bounce but lets not go overboard, he's a good squad player and versatile, that's his role.

Agreed, at their age Valencia and Young are well positioned to transition into the cover for the new RB and LB we should be going for between January and the summer.
  16. Dec 4, 2017

cyril C New Member

Despite his age, Young has significantly improved his game. Notice how many times he cross with his left foot. His work rate is magnificent and certainly an example to follow. Unfortunately he is currently on his last 1-2 seasons of his career so replacement is necessary. Hope he can continue playing at such high level together with Valencia, throughout this season. That would be something to remember.
  17. Dec 4, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

Ever since Evra left as a team we've not been able to get crosses in from our left hand side. We've had players who have shown promise and had good games for us and patches of form (Blind, Shaw, CB-Jackson, Young) but nobody has done it consistently. Who in their right mind thinks we have the same quality right now in the fullback positions than when we had Evra and Neville? Who thinks we get the same defensive cover/attacking potential from those positions as our rivals?

Ashley Young and Valencia are doing a very good job right now. Valencia has been doing it consistently for a couple of seasons, Young only recently has got the headlines but has been consistent when called to play as a FB. It's still not the same as having players of the quality of Marcelo, Albaba, Walker, Mendy, Bellerin etc, Sandro. Nobody on the forum wants to replace them with Moreno and Clyne - we want better players.

Our success during the Fergie years was built on constant improvement and upgrade (he focused mainly on his strikers, that was his way), but we always had healthy competition (apart from in mid field towards the end of his time). Right now we don't have that. We have 2 in form wingers who have been converted to fullbacks, who are doing a very good job, but who are in their 30's and likely to see decline in their performance levels sooner rather than later. It would be prudent to bring in replacements now who can act as competition for places, rather than waiting for the day we're playing Darmain and Blind as bullbacks and wondering why we're so shit.
  18. Dec 4, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

Young is like many other players, you either like them or not and the not will always say he is not good enough. I really like Young, it seems he has got better with age, just like a good wine. Young is doing very well at left back at the moment but to say he is way better than Darmian or Blind is greatly exaggerated. Young works wonders in a back 3, back 4 less so as he is so driven getting forward often leaves his flank wide open for a counter attack. Darmian is actually a RB having to play LB, he doesn't really have the pace to go out all attacking like Young. Blind can play there but has shown he is better in the center due to his pace. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a chance in the Matic role, has a great pass in him and no one reads the game better than him. He has been playing that role the last couple of times with his national team and looked solid in that position. I think there has been ample said about Shaw, Mou just doesn't like him and he has no future here, pity because he showed so much potential before he broke his leg.
  19. Dec 4, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

He developed amazingly well this season maybe because the W.C this year, or maybe Jose is the reason, but I'm happy to see any player from SAF era whose got a P.L medal or more playing well.
  20. Dec 4, 2017

PeteManic Full Member

He is clearly a great professional. With everyone an expert these days because they play Football Manager, people forget that players are humans and so human qualities like dependability and drive and focus and application are as highly valued as any technical attributes. Clearly Jose and the coaches know they can rely on him to prepare and perform. He would also be in my WC squad.
  21. Dec 4, 2017

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

I doubt the World Cup was a factor. I'd be surprised if that entered into his thinking at all. His main goal should have been getting into our team, let alone the NT.

That said, I think he's been pretty solid for ages now, not just this season. He's not a spectacular player but he doesn't do much wrong. It's his limitations that most people criticise him for. But he has stepped up a bit in recent weeks. Clearly having the trust of the manager must be such a confidence boost.
  22. Dec 4, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    I dont think anyone thinks that Young is the solution long-term and the left back situation is now solved, but i think it does mean the issue has moved down the list of priorities. Earlier in the season there was a general feeling that we'd need to invest in the Jan window whereas now it feels as though the investment would be better focused elsewhere (if we are investing at all that is).
  23. Dec 4, 2017

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

He's fine as a wing back and performing very well, but he's 32 and injury prone S people have said. Also not a left back. Excellent squad player to have though.
  24. Dec 4, 2017

roykeane19 Full Member

Hes always been good, main problem is he always gets injured for long periods
  25. Dec 4, 2017

mitchmouse Full Member

play like he has in the past two games week in, week out
  26. Dec 4, 2017

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    But, why? He can perform as well as anybody who might come in to replace him, Danny Rose included.

Stick with Young for a couple of seasons. Bring through Mitchell in the meantime, or possibly buy someone like Sessegnon to take over gradually.

The point is, people who talk about buying a ready-made leftback seem to miss the point that we already have one. The clamour for a big name does nobody any favours.
  27. Dec 4, 2017

Supports:
    United!
    He's rarely ever put a foot wrong at right/leftback.
  28. Dec 4, 2017

BigCaine Banned

You do remember young is 32 don't you, people seem to think because he has had 2 great games he will have 2 great seasons, who do you think is likely to play well for 2-3 seasons, a 25-28 year old guy who has played fb all his life or a 32 year winger who has played a few great games.
  29. Dec 4, 2017

Supports:
    United!
    He's played at fullback plenty of times and done consistently well. His current form isn't out of the ordinary for him.

Young is also known to be gym addict. He's not gonna lose his legs quickly.
  30. Dec 4, 2017

NoPace Full Member

Barring serious down tick in form, I think hes done enough that this will be next year's FB situation:

New LB, Young, Blind/Darmian
    Valencia, Young, Darmian/TFM

And the questions now are

1. Where does Shaw go? A loan or buyback possible?
    2. What LB do we sign?
    3. Which of Blind or Darmian is sold?
    4. Who is the 5th FB? Is Lindelof covering at RB and Rojo at LB enough or does someone like TFM or Tuanzebe or Mitchell properly join the squad?
  31. Dec 4, 2017

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Young will never get the true credit he deserves from alot of our fans and I find that sad. He has been a fantastic servant to the club and an ideal squad player. Plus he shows he loves the club, which in a day and age of foreign mercenaries can be a breath of fresh air.
  32. Dec 4, 2017

Sigma Full Member

According to Whoscored, we have the best 2 full backs in the league this season:

[​IMG]
  33. Dec 5, 2017

Rodrigo_UC10 New Member

To be fair, Young has proven himself this season. He's been giving everything in every single game he's played. It is clear that he wants to play for United, he stayed at the club even though he wasn't playing much in past seasons. I think we need more players like him, he is a good example for the new generations.
  34. Dec 5, 2017

criticalanalysis Full Member

I think people's support of Young as our left back is probably the same as mine (and other's) preference to have Herrera in the team (preferably in a three).

So to be harsh, it's just one's own favouritism, overrating and shouldn't be what Utd should be aiming for :(
  35. Dec 5, 2017

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Yeah, this. Can’t really believe people are making out he’s solving all of our problems after a string of good games. You’d think they’ve never watched football before. Probably the same lot who thought Macheda would win Ballon D’or.
  36. Dec 5, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

I agree for the most part aboutt clamouring for a big name. Young has done enough to at least earn the LB spot for the rest of this season. If Mourinho is committed to Shaw or Mitchell long term, I would be happy if it stayed the same next season as well with the younger players getting increased game time. You cant look past the fact he is getting up there in age though, and the current alternatives if he does pick up another knock are not great.
  37. Dec 5, 2017

Treble Full Member

In a word: consistency.

He's been great over the last month or so but the really difficult part is to maintain his current level in th enext months. Which is very difficult because the expectations change and you have to live up to them.
  38. Dec 5, 2017

Utd7 Full Member

He’s already convinced me. He’s come a long way from getting shitted on in the mouth to now being un droppable from the starting 11.
  39. Dec 5, 2017

GM K Full Member

The only reason I want another LB right now is because of Young's age. Apart from that, the lad is at par with the best in the world at the moment. He is exactly my type of LB. Very decent in defence. Very useful in attack and very much full of runnings.
  40. Dec 5, 2017

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

Question is good enough for what.

He's always been capable of putting in brilliant performances (and has been underrated by many fans at times). However, if it should turn out that Smashley now - at his age - has found a new level of consistency which makes him a plausible first choice LB/LWB for United next season (when we should be aiming for the very top), well, let's just say that'd be a bit of a fairytale. I wouldn't bank on it happening: Ideally, I'd like to see him as a (very decent) backup option.

Obviously, the rest of the season will give us a clearer picture. If he keeps smashing it, nothing better but I wouldn't conclude at this stage that we're sorted in that position for the future (he is no spring chicken either).